Hickey

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Re: Hickey

plugger66 wrote:
BigMart wrote:I certainly don't rate hit out... Unless of course they are dominant hit out...

I thought Hickey was beaten for number of hit outs, but his quality of taps was better than Spencer. Stanley in his brief ruckwork was better again.

Hickey moved very well around the ground, like an extra on ballet.... He was a bit Everitt like around the ground.

But like Spider, is not strong in an overhead contest.

He was out pointed by Grimes in the forward pocket... And Dom Tyson on the wing in the last quarter when you'd like a Ruckman to take a contested grab.... Either defensively, as a 'get out' from defense... Or occasionally fwd.
He stood up once down back early and caught it, but it was uncontested.

His game was very good.... No doubt.... Love him to play that well every game... He will face better opposition than Spencer?!

So nice of you. Im sure he will be feeling better today for that.
Not strong overhead? How about the game against the filth in 2012 when he was still with GC? He took a competition wide record for the whole season when he took seven contested marks. Try again.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:He was a standout leader.... Don't worry about that.
How on earth would you know?
Did you spend a lot of time at the club? Do you know him personally? I'd say no to both. Watching him play may give a clue, but a "standout"? Hardly. Then again, it's YOUR opinion, so it must be right.

saintbob
SS Life Member

A very solid game.

I just hope its precautionary strapping on his knee

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Everitt always had strapping on his knee too. Remember, men are still growing at 22 - especially when they are 200+ centimetres. Someone on this forum made reference to Everitt and Hickey, and I think that is perceptive. There was a bit of a raw Spida about Hickey's game last night and how he went about it. I reckon he will be a beauty. And I think Longer will work out okay too. Remember that the Hawks would have been happy to have him, and according to the media they rarely stuff it up. Win-win IMO.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

One more thing - to do a 'Columbo' - he may have been outpointed by Grimes when he was moved up forward, but that is because Grimes covered nowhere near the ground that Hickey had to. I thought Grimes was a bit disappointing from a Melbourne perspective last night.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Moorabbin Man
Club Player

BigMart wrote:Typical nasty comments?

He moved around the ground well, linked well....

He was out pointed in marking contests twice against Mids? Which was disappointing 0 contested Marks

He was beaten 40-24 in hit outs and his opponent was one of Melbournes best

But he played a very good game.... Love him to impose himself physically (especially aerially)
You've been a bit hard on him over time BM. I think he will be a beauty (as will Longer). Trading McEvoy will prove to be genius.

Moorabbin Man
Club Player

saintkid wrote:Hickey did well tonight and shows justification in the early pick. Lee is the dud pick, been told for those around back then that he is a worse player than Jodi Arnol who was also an early pick.

Apparently Lee was woeful for Sandy today. What on earth did they see in this guy to trade such an early pick? What a waste.
Interestingly Lee has never played well for Sandy. Be patient, he will be a player and we should persist with him ahead of Maister. I remember Jodi Arnol and the comparisons are ridiculous.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Yeah, whilst a different player to Ben... That is possibly correct.

I don't think he has the leadership of McEvoy... But has attributes...

Hickey won the ball through the middle.... That is important

Ben did beat Luenberger... Hickey played on Spencer

But we did get Savage and,Dunstan and Acres instead of Hartung which must be factored into it....
Cmon BM suck it up - just say you made the a terrible call on Hickey!!

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

What I also liked from hickey, some guys were starting to throw their weight around at the end of one of the quarters...he came in a flew the flag.

Liked it a lot.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Firstly WW
Give it a rest, I get that you are trying your best to denigrate me, but you're going a bit overboard... Just relax
You're anger is coming across in your posts, not your point?!

Leadership? The fact he was in the leadership group at 22, said by Milne, Watters, Roewoldt, Kosi, His draft Bio, nominated early as a future captain. Heard him speak as a kid in the VFL... Leadership written all over him... Why even bother questioning that. Every person in the know has stated it?!

Devil...Which call?

1/ not sure why he was recruited ATT (a list does not need two #1 Ruckmen only) so not sure why such high resources were put into securing another Ruck with a FRP?

2/ that Hickey is not a strong contested mark. I have seen him outbodied by smaller men. Yes he did take 7 in a game... Which is big. He has also taken 27 in 25 games... McEvoy 138 in 92 games... Ben is clearly bigger and stronger with better hands. There is also a difference between a body CM, and a lead CM

3/ that I believe Longer will overtake him? I rate Longer as potentially better than both Mac and Tom. Bigger, stronger and more skilled than both.

Devil, it was one game... Against Jake Spencer... A VFL Ruckman
But he was VG indeed, and you can only play against who you play
My judgement was on his output to that point, which was modest... And I dont buy into the crap that he outperformed Ben last year...the is rubbish...his numbers nowhere near McEvoy?

I don't rate basketball tap ruckmen

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Yawn

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Firstly WW
Give it a rest, I get that you are trying your best to denigrate me, but you're going a bit overboard... Just relax
You're anger is coming across in your posts, not your point?!

Leadership? The fact he was in the leadership group at 22, said by Milne, Watters, Roewoldt, Kosi, His draft Bio, nominated early as a future captain. Heard him speak as a kid in the VFL... Leadership written all over him... Why even bother questioning that. Every person in the know has stated it?!

Devil...Which call?

1/ not sure why he was recruited ATT (a list does not need two #1 Ruckmen only) so not sure why such high resources were put into securing another Ruck with a FRP?

2/ that Hickey is not a strong contested mark. I have seen him outbodied by smaller men. Yes he did take 7 in a game... Which is big. He has also taken 27 in 25 games... McEvoy 138 in 92 games... Ben is clearly bigger and stronger with better hands. There is also a difference between a body CM, and a lead CM

3/ that I believe Longer will overtake him? I rate Longer as potentially better than both Mac and Tom. Bigger, stronger and more skilled than both.

Devil, it was one game... Against Jake Spencer... A VFL Ruckman
But he was VG indeed, and you can only play against who you play
My judgement was on his output to that point, which was modest... And I dont buy into the crap that he outperformed Ben last year...the is rubbish...his numbers nowhere near McEvoy?

I don't rate basketball tap ruckmen
I don't have to denigrate you. You do that all by yourself. The rest of your usual drivel is self-serving in the extreme. If you could argue properly, you may get some credit, but being the narcissist you are, it always ends up being about you. Sad really. I picture you as a morbidly obese, 40 year old virgin, living in YOUR parents' basement, surfing the web all day and night, looking for a way to strike back at the world which has been so cruel to you. So why don't you take some of YOUR excellent advice and give it a rest yourself. By the way, I don't accept YOU'RE a teacher. You are illiterate .

<warning for abuse and baiting>

spert
Saintsational Legend

Hickey showed good aggression and leadership- no doubt improved from last year and regardless of how good or how weak the opposition, you need to beat your opponent on the day, and he did a great job in the ruck.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

WW

If that view of me makes you comfortable? It's a bit sad you want me to be what you imagine... Why would you care?

I think you hope that's the case?

Some forum members have met me... They could probably attest to the fact that you're a bit off the mark (typically) but if it makes you feel better?!

Your fascination with my occupation, and life is bizarre...

Another thing,
Stop getting so personal? It's a bit petty I think?...

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Time to close this thread

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote: Devil...Which call?
How about these calls taken from a various number of your posts from the last year
BigMart wrote:"IMO Hickey will not be in stk best 22 by mid - year barring injury"

"not a huge fan of Hickey"

"I reckon Hickey was a mistake"

"Don't rate Hickey at all ..... He's slight and isn't a natural footballer IMO His recruitment was a mistake IMO"

"Hickey, I don't rate"

"How could Hickey and Stanley be both on the ground?"

"A few observations Hickey is hopeless.... A Gumby"

"Hickey seriously looks like a poor mans Warnock, which is saying something.... He looks a bit Gumby like for me"
Just admit that you never factored in Hickey's age and his scope for improvement and its extremely likely that in the very near future that you will be eating your damning words

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

lol DEVILHEAD - great gets.

BM will never admit he is wrong. Never has. Only ever tells you over and over when he is right.

Ask him about Lovett and you will get a 10 page thread.

In this one, all the excuses in the world.

Calling him a gumby etc is extremely disrespectful.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
dragit
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:Time to close this thread
Agree, it's like the simple kid getting picked on at school... Just unfair.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:What I also liked from hickey, some guys were starting to throw their weight around at the end of one of the quarters...he came in a flew the flag.

Liked it a lot.

Yep that was great! Love it!

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:
How about these calls taken from a various number of your posts from the last year
BigMart wrote:"IMO Hickey will not be in stk best 22 by mid - year barring injury"

"Don't rate Hickey at all ..... He's slight and isn't a natural footballer IMO His recruitment was a mistake IMO"

"Hickey, I don't rate"

"Hickey seriously looks like a poor mans Warnock, which is saying something.... He looks a bit Gumby like for me"
Just admit that you never factored in Hickey's age and his scope for improvement and its extremely likely that in the very near future that you will be eating your damning words
Anyone could have predicted the same thing with this player photo....

:mrgreen:

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote: I don't rate basketball tap ruckmen
And I am fairly certain Alan Richardson and Hickey's St. Kilda team mates don't rate your opinion

loris
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
Devilhead wrote:

"Hickey, I don't rate"

Anyone could have predicted the same thing with this player photo....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

saintkid
Club Player

Moorabbin Man wrote:
saintkid wrote:Hickey did well tonight and shows justification in the early pick. Lee is the dud pick, been told for those around back then that he is a worse player than Jodi Arnol who was also an early pick.

Apparently Lee was woeful for Sandy today. What on earth did they see in this guy to trade such an early pick? What a waste.
Interestingly Lee has never played well for Sandy. Be patient, he will be a player and we should persist with him ahead of Maister. I remember Jodi Arnol and the comparisons are ridiculous.
I hope he does make it but his speed is a worry. Looks slow and turns like a Mac truck. According to our neighbour Jodi Arnol was taken at No. 3 back in 1989 and he swears Lee moves like him and ended up being delisted.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote: Anyone could have predicted the same thing with this player photo....

Looks like someone who might potentially have great leadership qualities given his enthusiastic, happy and outgoing demeanor.

There might even be a bit of a physical, pyscho element in there as well :twisted:

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Creepy as :)