Dal Santo's Effort Being Questioned

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Re: Dal Santo's Effort Being Questioned

plugger66 wrote:
mullet wrote:
SainterK wrote:I think though ideally swallow (when back) would be free if dal was tagged, it's the flow on effect.

Still, I don't rate their coach so don't think they'll do well.
I dont rate their coach either K. Think he got the job, because his brother did so well in his first year. He talks alot but says very little.

Didnt the North Scott start first. You guys must watch a lot of footy to know whether an opposition coach is a good coach or not. People who watch the saints couldnt work out whether SW was a good coach or not.

Which people?

Does that include you?

SW team selections were confusing for a start.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
mullet wrote:

I dont rate their coach either K. Think he got the job, because his brother did so well in his first year. He talks alot but says very little.

Didnt the North Scott start first. You guys must watch a lot of footy to know whether an opposition coach is a good coach or not. People who watch the saints couldnt work out whether SW was a good coach or not.

Which people?

Does that include you?

SW team selections were confusing for a start.

There were plenty who rated SW coaching. More than didnt rate it. I think you would agree with that. I had an opinion about SW and it was we should keep him for another year but I didnt know all the crap that was going on and I think thats my point. I follow the saints really closely and didnt know from inside what the people in charge thought of the coach. I did know a few players didnt rate him very highly though but that happens with most coaches. Yep you can see team slections and commented on that a fair bit but you dont see many other things unless you are closely involved.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

As much as I hate to say it, Dal is finished as a player. Anyway, that is not for us to be concerned about. Thank you North Melbourne for virtually giving us a high draft pick!

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

This was interesting - my north mate asked me about it. They definitely noticed.

I've never really seen it though...

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:As much as I hate to say it, Dal is finished as a player. Anyway, that is not for us to be concerned about. Thank you North Melbourne for virtually giving us a high draft pick!

He didnt look finished last year. he wasnt at his best but nowhere near finished and he was probably their best midfielder this week. harsh comment that I just dont get. And all North lost was salary cap.
Last edited by plugger66 on Mon 24 Mar 2014 7:55pm, edited 1 time in total.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

North are going to have to improve a lot on that effort to make the top 4.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:This was interesting - my north mate asked me about it. They definitely noticed.

I've never really seen it though...
I'd never really seen until 2012, not saying his lack of effort wasn't there before on occasions, clearly it was but I just think I'd become so accustomed to our stars being competitive beasts and when they dropped off quickly it really stood out against previous set standards. Dal really looked lazy in the second half so it will be interesting to see how he goes from here.

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

mr six o'clock wrote: . I think he will easily play until 2018 !
Hopefully by that stage the Saints will be competitive again, the Roos will be rebuilding, and Dal will be traded back to StK to finish his career. Just a possibility!

supersaints
Club Player

I do recall in an interview Brad Scott claiming that they got Dal to add polish with his disposal and " outside skills"
He said that they had plenty of in and under " grunt" players. He shoulld be very happy.
As for a coach I think he's a dud .
Based on
Only made the finals once on five years when they had by far the best draw imaginable , with Gold Coast and GWS twice when they could not win a game. Those four " gimmes" was the sole reason they made it

He has only won about 10 or 11 games a season apart from that year ( think it was 2012)?

He has the third most experienced list , and still carries on, as if they are a young side , he behaves on like a Moran, he makes a myriad of excuses, after every loss.

IMO ( if I am allowed to have one, please ) he is the most oversted and underperforming AFL coach

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Perhaps the selected the wrong 30yo left foot mid from our list?! If the wanted mid field effort and defensive running?!

Dal is Dal

They knew what they were getting.

Not sure opposing a purely offensive mid against Jobe is a Smart move?

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Jones would have been better for them.

Prove that it's not true.

:mrgreen:

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
mullet wrote:
SainterK wrote:I think though ideally swallow (when back) would be free if dal was tagged, it's the flow on effect.

Still, I don't rate their coach so don't think they'll do well.

Brad started 2010. Chris started 2011 and is a premiership coach. Goes to prove I could coach a flag with the right players. Both are thugs. Chris smashed Roo whilst injured at the Gabba, some real couragous stuff. One of the redneck thugs also threw Lenny into the fence at the Gabba breaking his hand.Stuff of champions. Both winge and complain to excess. Both look like Hillbillys from the deep, deep, deep South. Brad can't coach. Chris was gifted a fantastic list. The jury is out on him also.

Apart from that they great blokes. They like eating ribs, chewing tobacco and playing the banjo..

Saintsational Legend

:D

FQF
SS Life Member

Fair to say that most first year coaches would not be handed a list of the calibre of Geelong at the time. It was a gift and it makes it hard to determine his quality as a coach. But he hasn't actually given any reason to think he is not good.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:Fair to say that most first year coaches would not be handed a list of the calibre of Geelong at the time. It was a gift and it makes it hard to determine his quality as a coach. But he hasn't actually given any reason to think he is not good.
He has been completely out-coached by Lyon in finals now two years running, both times Geelong were heavy favourites.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Waltzing St Kilda wrote:
mr six o'clock wrote: . I think he will easily play until 2018 !
Hopefully by that stage the Saints will be competitive again, the Roos will be rebuilding, and Dal will be traded back to StK to finish his career. Just a possibility!
That would be useful.

That being stated, people who write him off are a little silly.

If he was sent to run against Watson without a hint of defense against him at the contest well...by fiddlesticks who would have thunk that would have turned out bad?

North have a dud coach and a massively over-rated list.

QuestionOfAccuracy
Club Player

How many times have we seen an insipid effort from the Roos when matched up against a good quality opposition on a (relatively) big stage? I feel like I've lost count how many times during the Brad Scott era.

It's easy to point the finger at Dal, but these sort of lacklustre efforts were embedded in this group well before NDS arrived.

This is a group that doesn't play defense and in my opinion only has one (barely) A-grade midfielder - Ziebell.

stevie
Saintsational Legend

QuestionOfAccuracy wrote:How many times have we seen an insipid effort from the Roos when matched up against a good quality opposition on a (relatively) big stage? I feel like I've lost count how many times during the Brad Scott era.

It's easy to point the finger at Dal, but these sort of lacklustre efforts were embedded in this group well before NDS arrived.

This is a group that doesn't play defense and in my opinion only has one (barely) A-grade midfielder - Ziebell.
Exactly. Front runners on every line, led by Harvey, Wells and Petrie. Throw in the cheating skills of Diving Thomas and - in my book - the uninspiring 'leadership' and 'presence' of Swallow, and you have the almost perfect team of mid table mediocrity.

fingers
Saintsational Legend

"If you can't win the ball or defend to get it back, I don't care what you can do when it's in your hands. You wont be playing for us" - I reckon that's Dal to a point.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

supersaints wrote:I do recall in an interview Brad Scott claiming that they got Dal to add polish with his disposal and " outside skills"
He said that they had plenty of in and under " grunt" players. He shoulld be very happy.
As for a coach I think he's a dud .
Based on
Only made the finals once on five years when they had by far the best draw imaginable , with Gold Coast and GWS twice when they could not win a game. Those four " gimmes" was the sole reason they made it

He has only won about 10 or 11 games a season apart from that year ( think it was 2012)?

He has the third most experienced list , and still carries on, as if they are a young side , he behaves on like a Moran, he makes a myriad of excuses, after every loss.

IMO ( if I am allowed to have one, please ) he is the most oversted and underperforming AFL coach
interesting comments......think you are spot on...

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Bushman
Club Player

Fingers, I hate to admit it as I loved watching Dal play but you are corect. He wins best in show but will not pull the wagon home, still I'm very thankful that he played for us as he made a good team that much better. Right now he wouldn't make that much difference, I hope he does well, he's a quality person.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

fingers wrote:"If you can't win the ball or defend to get it back, I don't care what you can do when it's in your hands. You wont be playing for us" - I reckon that's Dal to a point.
So really what you are saying is that the modern game has passed him by. Could be, time will tell and that is why it will be interesting to watch him play over the next few games to see if has been recruited as the old outside receiver type or the new modern get your own ball and defend type midfielder. Surely Brad Scott is with the times.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

They're pretty quick to jump on the new gun recruit blame bandwagon but I think Zebell had 13 possessions and Wells had 11 FFS. Wells has been around for ages (in the Goddard draft) and crappy numbers like that should be scrutinized more than 21 possies for Dal.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote:They're pretty quick to jump on the new gun recruit blame bandwagon but I think Zebell had 13 possessions and Wells had 11 FFS. Wells has been around for ages (in the Goddard draft) and crappy numbers like that should be scrutinized more than 21 possies for Dal.
Absolutely they should but as we know those 21 possies were mostly cheap easy-to-rack-up stats which is not commensurate with the modern game. Players like Dal can make the stats that they print in the media easy to rack up.