Garlett gone

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Garlett gone

Garlett has quit the hawks, just thought people would want to know thank god we didn't waste a pick on him

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/g ... zqmwh.html

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Re: Garlett gone

ausfatcat wrote:Garlett has quit the hawks, just thought people would want to know thank god we didn't waste a pick on him
Careful, announcing stuff like that.
I was accused of being racist for expressing relief at us not getting him when his troubles first surfaced!

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Why wasn't he drafted as a rookie?

I thought the Hawks were smarter than that

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Hopefully our days of drafting loose cannons and renegades are behind us. Seems like the club is starting to learn from past mistakes.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
defacto
Club Player

tried to say as much. except some over the east seem to think they know more about the talent over here in the west....again

Bushman
Club Player

If we had drafted him it would have been reported another Saints failure, as it stand the Hawks will be seen as giving a troubled guy a go. Reality is Garlett was not up to it, nothing more nothing less. The Hawks copped one but it is just a graze, the likes of Caroline Wilson would have been on us like a cheap suit if we had done same.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Imagine how much grief our club would have copped for picking him. There were a couple of so called experts on here who said it wouldnt have been a real punt because we could have got him for bugger all. that maybe true wit the draft pick point of view but as a club we would have copped it from the media for not being able to tame him or keep him at the club. There is sometimes more to some draft picks that are punts than the pick itself. The only club that was probably going to escape the media backlash would have been the premiers from last year. People wanting him couldnt see past his ability. Its funny. There is an add on SEN at the moment where Terry Wallace questions the recruitment of Counsins and how much that may have effected the Tigers players at the time. Drafting troubled players isnt that simple as one or two make out.

fingers
Saintsational Legend

I feel for the kid. Seems like there is a fair bit going on. I hope he manages to get sorted and has a great future at whatever he does.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

I think I toyed with the idea of picking him.

In fact I was keen.

Just didn't think it would come to this! Naive!

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Imagine how much grief our club would have copped for picking him. There were a couple of so called experts on here who said it wouldnt have been a real punt because we could have got him for bugger all. that maybe true wit the draft pick point of view but as a club we would have copped it from the media for not being able to tame him or keep him at the club. There is sometimes more to some draft picks that are punts than the pick itself. The only club that was probably going to escape the media backlash would have been the premiers from last year. People wanting him couldnt see past his ability. Its funny. There is an add on SEN at the moment where Terry Wallace questions the recruitment of Counsins and how much that may have effected the Tigers players at the time. Drafting troubled players isnt that simple as one or two make out.

I've heard the same Terry Wallance add regarding cousins too. Labelling him a distraction and negatively affecting teammates?

Obviously wasn't as big a success at Richmond as some would believe.

kimberly saint
Club Player

i was keen to draft him , thank crist im just another keyboard warrior

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Imagine how much grief our club would have copped for picking him. There were a couple of so called experts on here who said it wouldnt have been a real punt because we could have got him for bugger all. that maybe true wit the draft pick point of view but as a club we would have copped it from the media for not being able to tame him or keep him at the club. There is sometimes more to some draft picks that are punts than the pick itself. The only club that was probably going to escape the media backlash would have been the premiers from last year. People wanting him couldnt see past his ability. Its funny. There is an add on SEN at the moment where Terry Wallace questions the recruitment of Counsins and how much that may have effected the Tigers players at the time. Drafting troubled players isnt that simple as one or two make out.

I've heard the same Terry Wallance add regarding cousins too. Labelling him a distraction and negatively affecting teammates?

Hardwick will regret that for the rest of his days.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:

Fevola did well a Brisbane too - NOT!

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

Still young will have another crack at one of the WA sides in a few years time when he matures,money is to good to pass up!

PADDLEPOP1000
gringo
Saintsational Legend

With Cousins we wuld have been whinging about the negative influence in taking him. At least we whinge about not having him so don't have evidence of the damage he caused. On Garlett it was always a risk and we were not in a position to play risky. We obviously dodged a bullet this time. perhaps if he came to a club down the bottom and was looking at playing round one he might have found more motivation. You can't really say things would have been exactly the same if he went to a different club either. Sad all round when talent goes missing. I remember that guy that kicked about 11 goals in his first game for north melbourne- name escapes me- never to fulfil his great potential. Sean Charles etc.

PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

Mcadam

PADDLEPOP1000
gringo
Saintsational Legend

PADDLEPOP1001 wrote:Mcadam
Cheers.

defacto
Club Player

What happened to all those posters banging on about garlett? Thought it was all a beat up

FQF
SS Life Member

If this doesn't highlight the disgraceful double standards in the media, nothing will. Already there are journalists tweeting about Hawthorn's compassion.

falka
Club Player

So hawks had picks 18, Franklin, Savage and pick 37? And ended up with McEvoy and Hartung.
And they are being lauded. Terrible effort.
Once again premierships cover everything up

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Won't ever make it in the AFL

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

Jacks Back wrote:
Spinner wrote:

Fevola did well a Brisbane too - NOT!
There are a lot of people up here who have still not forgotten or forgiven Lions for recruiting him. Would be fair to say its put Brisbane back five years.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

falka wrote:So hawks had picks 18, Franklin, Savage and pick 37? And ended up with McEvoy and Hartung.
Big void of young talent coming through for the hawks.

In 2-3 years they could be bottom 4 IMO.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

defacto wrote:tried to say as much. except some over the east seem to think they know more about the talent over here in the west....again
I admit I was one who thought he was worth a punt with a later pick. Is it possible he can go home and after a couple of years in the WAFL try again with the Dockers or WCE, defacto? Or is his reputation so damaged that no one will give him a go? Shame really. What a waste of a prodigious talent. I hope he can get it together for another shot at the big time.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
falka wrote:So hawks had picks 18, Franklin, Savage and pick 37? And ended up with McEvoy and Hartung.
Big void of young talent coming through for the hawks.

In 2-3 years they could be bottom 4 IMO.

If i was a hawks supporter and someone opposition supporter said that to me i would give it the who cares. 2 flags and a chance of a third in 7 years sounds pretty good to me.