Rhys Stanley

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: Rhys Stanley

If Stanley had been played as a ruck/forward last season he would already be a better player. Waste of a season IMO.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Seems like every time Stanley has started to get a bit of momentum and successive games, he gets injured.

As for confidence. Once heard Robert Harvey said in his 20 seasons he never felt confident of making it in AFL football.

I supposed he should have hardened his attitude as well?

Confidence comes from playing well in a succession of games. Lets hope he gets those successive games at the top level and continues to improve

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Gee

Imagine how Harves would've played if he was confident.... Robert is a shy man, and humble and down played himself a bit... After his 4th B&F and 2nd Brownlow and being voted by his peers as #1 being in the AA team 8 times and Victorias best player 3 times
All by 1999... He played another ten years after that

You'd think it may have clicked that he was up to it? The 46possesion 4 goal game must have done something for his confidence

Actually, that makes him more impressive... He overcome insecurity.

An excuse for Rhys' average output, is different to a reason for someone's drive to succeed IMO

Personality is a different thing...

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Gee

Imagine how Harves would've played if he was confident.... Robert is a shy man, and humble and down played himself a bit... After his 4th B&F and 2nd Brownlow and being voted by his peers as #1 being in the AA team 8 times and Victorias best player 3 times
All by 1999... He played another ten years after that

You'd think it may have clicked that he was up to it? The 46possesion 4 goal game must have done something for his confidence

Actually, that makes him more impressive... He overcome insecurity.

An excuse for Rhys' average output, is different to a reason for someone's drive to succeed IMO

Personality is a different thing...
So according to your proclamations confidence is instilled by coaching.

Robert Harvey said the opposite, but you would know more about AFL football and confidence in it than Harvey.

Yup - OK

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Junior
Club Player

I thought he was poor, no strength in the contest and dropped marks he should have held.

He does not appear to be a natural reader of the play, on a number of occasions he was goal side of his opponent and instead of using his pace he ran towards his opponent.

Stood out as the odd man out with pressuring the Melbourne player, he can't possilbly be unfit and he is quick so therefore it is work ethic.

I have no doubt that if Longer had proven he could play forward that he would not be in the side.

I made the comment to my mates yesterday that someone needs to punch him in the face and get him angry.

A champion team will always beat a team of champions.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Never said confidence is instilled by anything... If anything it's an inner strength thing

Belief is important, and can be a result of a number of things... It can come and go?

But after 6 seasons... If he is still tentative.... It's a worry

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Took a couple of nice grabs this week, which is encouraging. Keeping one's eyes on the pill is crucial.

Now he needs to learn how to kick for goal.

I notice Jason Dunstall gave him a bake for missing to the right from a set shot in the last quarter. Said something like, "he ran to the right and the kick went exactly where he ran to, which is a fundamental that many players get wrong."

fingers
Saintsational Legend

He has only played 40 games....or thereabouts....how long did Hawkins take? Persevere

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Has the skillset, but does he have the drive?

Seen nothing to indicate he has.

I Love Peter Kiel
Club Player

Saw Rhys take a beautiful mark, floating across the pack.

He has the skills and the physique.

Go Rhys!

In honour of those who went before, in the dark and desperate years.
lloyd21
Club Player

Think Rhys will only get better if he gives 2nd & 3rd effort ....should watch Mayne at Fremantle and do exactly what he does
Every game. Run exhaust himself by chasing tackling Pressure when he does not have it.
Come towards ball carrier if covered run to space always keeping on the move never still except when on the pine.
Very interesting comment by B J Goddard on Sunday morning said Rhys Stanley was the best Athlete he knew in the AFL.
If that is true he ain't working hard enough you would have thought watching the way Hayes Riewoldt work the penny would have dropped.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Has the skillset, but does he have the drive?

Seen nothing to indicate he has.
I doubt he has the skills.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

fingers wrote:He has only played 40 games....or thereabouts....how long did Hawkins take? Persevere
Hawkins 'breakthrough' year was 2012 (62 goals) - his 6th season - but he had played 100 games by then.

He was ok in 2009 (34 goals) though.

2014 is Rhys 6th season.

But I dont know why we would compare Rhys with Tom Hawkins? This is fundamentally where people have got it wrong on Rhys.
Hawkins was a child prodigy and junior goal kicking machine. He always played full fwd and dominated TAC Cup and the U18 National Champs as a key Fwd.

If you want to compare Rhys to someone - pick a ruckman - Ayce Cordy or Zac Clarke or something probably more appropriate.

fingers
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
fingers wrote:He has only played 40 games....or thereabouts....how long did Hawkins take? Persevere
Hawkins 'breakthrough' year was 2012 (62 goals) - his 6th season - but he had played 100 games by then.

He was ok in 2009 (34 goals) though.

2014 is Rhys 6th season.

But I dont know why we would compare Rhys with Tom Hawkins? This is fundamentally where people have got it wrong on Rhys.
Hawkins was a child prodigy and junior goal kicking machine. He always played full fwd and dominated TAC Cup and the U18 National Champs as a key Fwd.

If you want to compare Rhys to someone - pick a ruckman - Ayce Cordy or Zac Clarke or something probably more appropriate.

Yeah fair enough....my point is that the prevailing wisdom seems to be that big ones take time.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Watched him .... Watched Roo

Three issues
1/ hesitates a lot... Just needs to break the shackles and go! He did it once and took a great grab... He hesitated once and ran into Beau?

2/ he doesn't work hard enough without the footy... Ball coming of HB and he jogging along with his opponent away from the goalkickerkane.... Did not present in any direction, the kicker had no option and over possessed it through the middle and turned it over

3/ he is happy playing third/second fiddle. Often he ran away from the footy to open space... But it became predictable ... Sometimes he has to bite the bullet and draw the footy?! It will spread the load more and take the heat off Nick.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Oh,

And he has the best example of anyone in history who is/does the opposite to all of those things.

PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

I agree ,some big blokes take time and the first couple of years he played a lot in Sandy 2nds and the next couple got injured at crucial times ,he needs to get a good run at it and I wouldn't let a guy like this go for 2 seasons at least he could be something special or just a GOP ,watch him outleap Natanui this week he did it a lot against west coast last year a great athlete , footballer?

PADDLEPOP1000
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

I've seen a different side to Rhys. I've seen some aggression and intensity not usually associated with him. He may not be starring, but I like the direction he is going.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

If you compare Rhys to players I would regard as comparable - then hes doing fine. He just needs more games.

Compare with Ayce Cordy
http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_p ... 1=C&fid2=C

Compare with Zac Clarke

Compare with Matt Leunberger (at same age)
http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_p ... 1=O&fid2=O

Compare with Shaun Hampson

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:If you compare Rhys to players I would regard as comparable - then hes doing fine. He just needs more games.

Compare with Ayce Cordy

Compare with Zac Clarke

Compare with Matt Leunberger (at same age)
http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_p ... 1=O&fid2=O

Compare with Shaun Hampson

Con I know you go obout him not being a forward but he is for us. he hasnt rucked as the number ruckman since his first year. he will be delisted if he cant play as a forward because he is behind Hickey and Longer as the number one ruck and thats because he is our forward ruck. he is important to us as that player. The only player is like on that list is Clarke because he plays a similar role. The rest are pure ruckmen.

Beekay
SS Life Member

One mark he took, he absolutely exploded. I don't know if the pass was even intended for him. He came into the picture at a pace you rarely see. He seemed to slightly change direction, and cut across a few players, while at full tilt.

More of that, please.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

He just needs to get confidence in his body and game and he will be alright. Often fans don't know what the coaching staff have asked him to do. He might be there to spread the defence out for Rooey and Maister. The coaches are the only ones who know if he's doing all he needs to do. I can see him being a Westhoff type with a bit of confidence. He has some great qualities.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Beekay wrote:One mark he took, he absolutely exploded. I don't know if the pass was even intended for him. He came into the picture at a pace you rarely see. He seemed to slightly change direction, and cut across a few players, while at full tilt.

More of that, please.
Unfortunately he followed that by kicking it out on the full from 40 on a slight angle. Lots of work still to do for this guy.

spert
Saintsational Legend

I hope he improves, but he appears to be a 200cm athlete, not a natural footballer and doesn't read the play well at all. Maybe Richo can get him up and about.

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Thought he was alright again Saturday. Just watched the first quarter again last night, he took a couple of good marks, was too Roo conscious with one kick, but later delivered beautifully for Hickey's second goal.
He has had 2 consistent games and looked a bit more confident last week. If he continues current form and can improve on it, he will be safe at end ofsseason.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.