Changes for Round 3 v West Coast

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Re: Changes for Round 3 v West Coast

PADDLEPOP1001 wrote:I think Longer and Bruce have to come in as the Eagles play 3 rucks and a very tall forward line !
Are you going to play Longer at full back? How is he going to help counter the Eagles talls? Hickey played three-quarters of the game in the ruck on Saturday with Stanley doing the rest of the work. How could Longer change that?

gringo
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
joffaboy wrote:Hearing Markworth.

What is his form? Does anybody know or is it just speculation?
Has played 2 decent games, but only in VFL practice matches.

I would be surprised if they picked him for the saints, as they are taking a pretty conservative approach after coming back from a knee.

I'd expect a month of match fitness before he plays seniors and selfishly, I'd like to watch his debut, so I hope it's back here!

At the training at junction he said he was keen to get his fitness up at Sandy and was realistic about playing at least 4 weeks of footy at VFL level and getting a game once his form warranted it. He sounded like he was pretty realistic about where his body was at and he wasn't sounding like it would be any time in the first month or so. If he's going this well with less than required fitness he might be going to really push for a spot after another couple of games.

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

the wegals are in really scary form atm.... from seeing what they did to melbounres poor kicking i really hope we can cut that issue down as this time it will get punished... and badley.

I would like to see Josh Bruce come in... and Longer as we are going to have our hands full with Cox Nik Nat in the ruck. park stanley at Full Forward maybe give beau a week off.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
loris
Saintsational Legend

ShanghaiSaint wrote:the wegals are in really scary form atm.... from seeing what they did to melbounres poor kicking i really hope we can cut that issue down as this time it will get punished... and badley.

I would like to see Josh Bruce come in... and Longer as we are going to have our hands full with Cox Nik Nat in the ruck. park stanley at Full Forward maybe give beau a week off.
Who have the wegals beaten to date? Doggies and demons, not tough opposition. We may be closer to staying with the Eagles than most pundits reckon......... at least I hope so!

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:Who have the wegals beaten to date? Doggies and demons, not tough opposition. We may be closer to staying with the Eagles than most pundits reckon......... at least I hope so!
Not sure that makes much sense Loris! You're saying they're not much good because they've thumped two poor sides. On the other hand, we've scraped over two poor sides so we're not bad?

rodrocket
Club Player

If Gwilt is left to play on Darling,Cox, Natanui or Kennedy, the selectors should be shot. Time to let Bruce have a go. There were no options last year, this year is different. If not Bruce play Stanley down there for a week and bring in Longer. Roberton and Savage obvious omissions. Is Fisher nearly ready to come back?

PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

bergholt wrote:
PADDLEPOP1001 wrote:I think Longer and Bruce have to come in as the Eagles play 3 rucks and a very tall forward line !
Are you going to play Longer at full back? How is he going to help counter the Eagles talls? Hickey played three-quarters of the game in the ruck on Saturday with Stanley doing the rest of the work. How could Longer change that?
Cox and Natanui are changing in the pocket and there is no chance Gwilt can go with them so yes I believe he should play down the back line my kind sir!

PADDLEPOP1000
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

PADDLEPOP1001 wrote:
bergholt wrote:
Cox and Natanui are changing in the pocket and there is no chance Gwilt can go with them so yes I believe he should play down the back line my kind sir!

Ruckmen playing KP back when never done it before wont work i would think.

PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

Gotta start somewhere and we don't have much option Kennedy,Darling,Sinclair ,Cox & Natanui are a bit big for our back men!

PADDLEPOP1000
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

I'd like to see us go in with Longer, Hickey and Stanley against WCE.

The other change I would like to see is Bruce come in to assist in the backline against a tall WCE's forward line.

We could go one of two ways. Back our current structure and try to expose WCE on the outside or pick a taller lineup to match WCE's tall structure.

In:
Longer & Bruce

Out:
Roberton & Savage

Key matchups:
Hickey/Longer Vs Naitanui/Cox

Curren Vs Shuey

Dempster Vs LeCras

Riewoldt Vs McKenzie

Delaney Vs Kennedy

Gwilt Vs Darling

Armitage Vs Selwood

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:I'd like to see us go in with Longer, Hickey and Stanley against WCE.

The other change I would like to see is Bruce come in to assist in the backline against a tall WCE's forward line.

We could go one of two ways. Back our current structure and try to expose WCE on the outside or pick a taller lineup to match WCE's tall structure.

In:
Longer & Bruce

Out:
Roberton & Savage

Key matchups:
Hickey/Longer Vs Naitanui/Cox

Curren Vs Shuey

Dempster Vs LeCras

Riewoldt Vs McKenzie

Delaney Vs Kennedy

Gwilt Vs Darling

Armitage Vs Selwood

Surely we cant have Maister, Longer/Hickey, Rooy and Stanley in the forward line. As bad as Robertson and Savage were it just changes our set ips with two talls coming in. I would make only one change and thats Savage for Webster if fit.

loris
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
loris wrote:Who have the wegals beaten to date? Doggies and demons, not tough opposition. We may be closer to staying with the Eagles than most pundits reckon......... at least I hope so!
Not sure that makes much sense Loris! You're saying they're not much good because they've thumped two poor sides. On the other hand, we've scraped over two poor sides so we're not bad?
I'm only trying to drink from the 'glass half full' beaker and not the 'glass half empty' beaker bergholt :wink:

After all I have to sit in the stand at Subi with 40,000 odd Eagle supporters this weekend, and it's rather intimidating, believe you me.

If I start off thinking negative, I might be like some eastern states supporters on this site. I might find any excuse not to attend - because, it's either - too hot, too cold, there is no roof over the ground to stop the sun getting in my eyes, or, my great auntie who I never visit in her retirement home is turning 85 that day so I had better stay home and watch the game on foxtel, then I can give her a 1 minute telephone call at 1/2 time and wish her a happy birthday.

So I'll stick to the 'glass half full' if you don't mind............... eagles have only beaten weak sides to date :P :P :P :P

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Bruce in for Roberton

Markworth in for Savage

Also Longer in for Hickey - but only if Hickey doesn't come up

Hopefully Roberton and Savage can find a bit of form against Frankston on Saturday

Give Billings, Ross, Milera and Lee a couple more full games in the 2nds before considering a promotion

Give Dunstan and Eli a rest in a couple weeks - lest we not break them

Not forgetting we still have Steven, Fisher and Schneider to come back in as well

Nice to have some very real competition for spots

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Old Mate wrote:I'd like to see us go in with Longer, Hickey and Stanley against WCE.

In:
Longer & Bruce

Out:
Roberton & Savage

Surely we cant have Maister, Longer/Hickey, Rooy and Stanley in the forward line. As bad as Robertson and Savage were it just changes our set ips with two talls coming in. I would make only one change and thats Savage for Webster if fit.
Horses for courses.

WCE have been and again will likely play Cox (203cm), Naitanui (201cm), Sinclair (200cm), Kennedy (196cm) and Darling (191cm) as their forward/ruck combination against us.

I'd be tempted to play Stanley as a loose man down back. He had some success in that role last year and his height could really be used against WCE's tall forwards and resting ruckman.

I'd look at something along these lines:

Backs:
Dempster, Gwilt, Bruce, Delaney, Gilbert, Geary & Stanley (loose man)

Mids:
Hickey, Hayes, Montagna, Jones, Ray & Armitage

Forwards:
Riewoldt, Longer, Maister, Saunders & Templeton

Starting Bench:
Newnes, Wright, Dunstan & Curren

bob__71
Club Player

Bring in Holmes. He is tall fast and can jump. He must know a bit about spoiling and blocking from basketball.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Surely we have a saints fan over in Perth who has access to their food supply the night before the game.
What? It worked for the springboks.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
remboy
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:
PADDLEPOP1001 wrote:
bergholt wrote:

Ruckmen playing KP back when never done it before wont work i would think.
What about Barry Brookes vs PA in Tassie? :shock:

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:WCE have been and again will likely play Cox (203cm), Naitanui (201cm), Sinclair (200cm), Kennedy (196cm) and Darling (191cm) as their forward/ruck combination against us.
Who's Sinclair? I haven't seen them play at all this year but that looks pretty imposing. We can't possibly match all that height so I reckon we should bring in runners and just try to win the midfield battle.
Old Mate wrote:I'd be tempted to play Stanley as a loose man down back. He had some success in that role last year and his height could really be used against WCE's tall forwards and resting ruckman.
Stanley's problem has always been confidence - sending him down back when there's going to be aerial bombardment is unlikely to be good for that. He's shown glimpses of building something up forward so I'd rather he stays there.

Delaney gets one of the skyscrapers, Gwilt gets one as well, Gilbert gets Kennedy, Dempster gets Darling. Maybe Bruce comes in for Roberton if we're really worried. Hickey - when in the ruck - falls back a kick behind play, which he did successfully last week. Stanley or Maister ruck forward of centre.
Old Mate wrote:Backs:
Dempster, Gwilt, Bruce, Delaney, Gilbert, Geary & Stanley (loose man)

Mids:
Hickey, Hayes, Montagna, Jones, Ray & Armitage

Forwards:
Riewoldt, Longer, Maister, Saunders & Templeton

Starting Bench:
Newnes, Wright, Dunstan & Curren
No need to disrupt the roles too much for a game we're probably going to lose anyway. I'm happy enough with your side except for Longer - I just can't see it helping that much for the reasons I gave. I'd rather keep our running strong. I reckon this might be a Terry Milera sort of game, or otherwise Webster deserves a return.

IN: Bruce, Milera/Webster
OUT: Roberton, Savage

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Over there...pace and runners are always very important. So Milera must be a chance.

Bruce will be in contention for obvious reasons. Roberton has been only so so.

We are rebuilding...so for my money we should never play anyone who is carrying an injury. We want to get games into many of our players, and so injuries and soreness provide an opportunity for this. we should recognise this as an an opportunity.
If Hickey's foot is doubtful...then Longer plas No 1. If Webster is at all dodgey...give him the time he needs.

Stanley had a pretty fair game against GWS..so why would you drop him when his confidence should be ok? REMEMBER this is a season to develop players and to not just try and win. Plus one way to counter WCs height is to have them covering out tall forwards.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Pleasing
Club Player

We shouldn't get sucked in by their height Subi is a big ground and the only way to win there is to pick a team that is prepared to run. If they end up kicking long bombs to Cox NicNat and Sinclair that is a win for us, emphasis needs to be on stopping their run, big tasks for Ray Jones and Curren to limit Rosa - Gaff - Shuey and Masten, we need to disrupt their gameplan. Longer plays only if Hickey can't, Bruce is possibility for Roberton but Robo knows Subi and I would guess gets another chance to turn his form around.

If the WC Big guys start dominating up forward we need to consider moving Stanley back on the resting ruck, after all his year spent learning to be a backman should have provided some flexibility to swap ends when needed even if we think forward -ruck is his best position.

Would love to see Webster back will need his smarts to pick our way out of defence

The biggest hurdle is the forward line we always seem to struggle up forward at Subi can't see Maister or Stanley getting the better of their opponents and Roo will be double teamed anywhere in the F50. Will be interesting to see if Richardson has any clever ideas to unlock the forward line. Lee would have been a good option for Maister but his form and fitness does not appear to be up to it so unlikely.

Will miss Steven even more than usual on this ground. Interesting to see how Dunstan goes on the big ground. Think Savages run will be needed despite his form.

Game will really test our fitness which has looked much improved on last year as we are finishing quarters much stronger and running games out better.

Let me in
maxdis 42
Club Player

Pleasing wrote:We shouldn't get sucked in by their height Subi is a big ground and the only way to win there is to pick a team that is prepared to run. If they end up kicking long bombs to Cox NicNat and Sinclair that is a win for us, emphasis needs to be on stopping their run, big tasks for Ray Jones and Curren to limit Rosa - Gaff - Shuey and Masten, we need to disrupt their gameplan. Longer plays only if Hickey can't, Bruce is possibility for Roberton but Robo knows Subi and I would guess gets another chance to turn his form around.

If the WC Big guys start dominating up forward we need to consider moving Stanley back on the resting ruck, after all his year spent learning to be a backman should have provided some flexibility to swap ends when needed even if we think forward -ruck is his best position.

Would love to see Webster back will need his smarts to pick our way out of defence

The biggest hurdle is the forward line we always seem to struggle up forward at Subi can't see Maister or Stanley getting the better of their opponents and Roo will be double teamed anywhere in the F50. Will be interesting to see if Richardson has any clever ideas to unlock the forward line. Lee would have been a good option for Maister but his form and fitness does not appear to be up to it so unlikely.

Will miss Steven even more than usual on this ground. Interesting to see how Dunstan goes on the big ground. Think Savages run will be needed despite his form.

Game will really test our fitness which has looked much improved on last year as we are finishing quarters much stronger and running games out better.

Great post..!!! like!

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Great post Pleasing…

I'm more worried about LeCras than the talls… he is on fire with 46 touches and 7 goals so far.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:Great post Pleasing…

I'm more worried about LeCras than the talls… he is on fire with 46 touches and 7 goals so far.
Dempster will have a big job to do.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
dragit wrote:Great post Pleasing…

Dempster will have a big job to do.
I would have thought he'd get a tall, maybe Geary takes LeCras?

mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

Savage has been very ordinary, but do we want to drop him on such a big open ground like Subi?