What type of player is Shane Savage

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Re: What type of player is Shane Savage

All I know is that he is no Andrew Lovett or Ben Cousins

Matrix where is the popcorn emoticon :D :!:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
sainter27
Club Player

Yeah he needs to be given a fair crack at it before we look at giving him
a run at Sandy. Subi will suit him and he knows there is pressure coming. I think
mid-year is a good enough sample size to judge his initial impact, and what should
then be expected of him

dragit
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:All I know is that he is no Andrew Lovett or Ben Cousins

Matrix where is the popcorn emoticon :D :!:
He's more of a Ben Lovett type, trains the house down, but likes outside ball and a long goal.
The good news is that he isn't a demented junkie who beats up on women.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

As others have said, Subi oval is ideal for him to show what he can do. Let's hope that he does well for himself and the team. We will need it!

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote:I thought he was going to be a great get but, at the moment, it seems like we payed big overs for him (I actually don't know what we paid for him but he's not going well).
What you had in brackets was accurate.

Savage was the steak knives on porentially good trade where we gained two picks in the late teens for Ben.
Savage would also have been taken as e is NZ born and club wants to use him in PR to help build a NZ supporter bases for the Saints.

Have you been happy with Dunstan's first 2 games? I have been.
Acres should be very good too.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
Jacks Back wrote:I thought he was going to be a great get but, at the moment, it seems like we payed big overs for him (I actually don't know what we paid for him but he's not going well).

Savage was the steak knives on porentially good trade where we gained two picks in the late teens for Ben.
Savage would also have been taken as e is NZ born and club wants to use him in PR to help build a NZ supporter bases for the Saints.

Thats true but we may have got one of them at 24. we will never know but i reckon we really only got one pick for Ben.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:

Yes, very happy. He just has to keep it up now.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:

Thats true but we may have got one of them at 24. we will never know but i reckon we really only got one pick for Ben.
Don't follow you.
We used 24 for Longer

We gained two low picks plus Savage for Ben plus lost a late pick from memory.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Rosco
Club Player

We used 25 for longer, that was our NDS compo pick. It was 25 + 41 for longer + 48

48 we later traded for bruce

Big Ben traded for 18 + savage from hawthorn

Picks 24 +59 traded out for 19 from hawthorn, basically was linked to the Big Ben trade but done separately in the end

77 for Delaney

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Two parts to the Ben trade:

1. Ben for Savage & 18

2. 24 & 59 for 19

In the end:

Ben, Hartung & Ceglar (R/U) for Savage, Dunstan & Acres.

in regards to Longer, we used the Dal Santo compo pick (25). Effectively Dal for Longer with a swap of third rounders.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:Two parts to the Ben trade:

1. Ben for Savage & 18

2. 24 & 59 for 19

In the end:

in regards to Longer, we used the Dal Santo compo pick (25). Effectively Dal for Longer with a swap of third rounders.

Also an under the table handshake to see Delaney come for our last pick.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
Old Mate wrote:Two parts to the Ben trade:

1. Ben for Savage & 18

2. 24 & 59 for 19

In the end:

Also an under the table handshake to see Delaney come for our last pick.
Yes true. Going off Delaney's first two weeks that could be the most savvy trade the Pelican pulled off. Not a lot of fanfare or anticipation on his move but he's looked solid as a rock so far. I think he's had only the one goal kicked on him.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

North were going to delist Delaney... Don't even think the used that selection? Nor were we going to

The trade was done so Luke could get to club of his choice...

And yes,

Must be informed about trades? The idea we only got Dunstan because of the trade is speculative

We had a second round selection and pick 25?

We upgraded some picks... And got a second rounder for Ben... Until we got the upgrade and Billy our Ruck dept and Mid dept looked shredded for some second rounders?

It was a fair deal after the late announcement of the second upgrade appeared after confusion?

The Longer deal (even though we did not need to spend ANOTHER high pick on a ruck) was a steal because of circumstance... And also indicates the jury was out on Tom. Button ability along a big get.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Delaney had a contract from NM in front of him, was said by his manager on TWR. He left for more opportunity.

In regards to trading McEvoy, it's now obvious, the club didn't rate him that highly and saw the opportunity to upgrade by not only getting a decent return on Ben but also getting Longer. You can bet we were speaking to Longer's manager at the same time as doing the McEvoy deal. I don't believe we had reservations about Hickey at all. We just rated Longer and required further ruck depth.

FQF
SS Life Member

Based on the evidence so far, we have come out big winners from our trading. Early days, but the signs are positive.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:North were going to delist Delaney... Don't even think the used that selection? Nor were we going to

And yes,

Must be informed about trades? The idea we only got Dunstan because of the trade is speculative

We upgraded some picks... And got a second rounder for Ben... Until we got the upgrade and Billy our Ruck dept and Mid dept looked shredded for some second rounders?

It was a fair deal after the late announcement of the second upgrade appeared after confusion?

The Longer deal (even though we did not need to spend ANOTHER high pick on a ruck) was a steal because of circumstance... And also indicates the jury was out on Tom. Button ability along a big get.
I don't want to get into a slanging match here but... Nearly all of what you have written here is wrong.

The trades were complicated, but are clearly outlined by others above... We ended up with 3 first round picks.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Yes?! I know???

1 was upgraded 5 selections from 24-19

1 was in return for Ben Mac (pick 18)

1 was in return for NDS (25 on traded for Longer)

We had 3-24-25-41

We ended up with

3-18-19-Longer

Delaney will be a bargain, like Zac was... He needed a team with No FB

Trixilver
Club Player

Suited to the sub role = someone who is amazing for 1 quarter and horrible for the rest of the game, all the time, every time. And he can choose which quarter to be amazing in. That's sounding pretty specific and doesn't really make sense at all. Ergo, no one is suited to the role, it's just a position to try a player out at reduced game time (either due to age or experience). It's more about which player is subbed off, which can be very useful to a side in the case of someone who has underperformed for the majority of a game or become injured.

As for Savage, I want to see him make an impact. I was expecting a lot more from what I've seen, but I've seen very little. At the end of the year I should have a very good idea of the type of player he is and whether he'll be useful or not. Right now it doesn't matter what that opinion is, but it will soon enough.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:North were going to delist Delaney... Don't even think the used that selection? Nor were we going to

And yes,

i disagree with almost everything, but I can't disagree with that last statement.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

I'm not sure I'm with you kosi, I've got NFI what a button ability is, not even joking. Video games?

busso mick
Club Player

Old Mate wrote:I'm not sure I'm with you kosi, I've got NFI what a button ability is, not even joking. Video games?
I translated it as "But on ability alone, a big get"

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Someone indicated that his manager said North had a contract in front of him
BigMart wrote:The trade was done so Luke could get to club of his choice...
If they had delisted him why wouldn't we have picked him up in the PSD?
BigMart wrote:The Longer deal (even though we did not need to spend ANOTHER high pick on a ruck) was a steal because of circumstance... And also indicates the jury was out on Tom. Button ability along a big get.

Why does it indicate that?

We lose McEvoy, who are our ruckmen? Hickey - 22 and learning, Stnaley, only a second stringer at best, Pierce, greener than Hickey, Holmes - never kicked a footy in anger.

We alos lost Blake who was a relief ruckman for a decade.

So our ruck stocks were very low afterthe McEvoy trade. Indicates the fact that Pelcan understood EXACTLY where Hickey - a developing young ruckman who would be first choice (as can be seen from R1 and R2 selections).

What happens if Hickey is injured and we had no backup ruckman?

Also you said at trade time the McEvoy trade had other clubs laughing at us.

Who were the clubs and are they still laughing at us?

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
matrix
Saintsational Legend

anyone else get a feeling of deja vu?

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
Here is the article...
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-10-22/d ... es-a-saint
In 2013, Delaney played only the final five games of the year. North Melbourne offered him a new contract but he made the decision to leave in search of more opportunities at senior level.
If North were going to delist then we could have got him as a delisted free agent.
I am pretty sure that the Delaney deal was tied into the Saints agreeing to let Dal Santo go as a free agent.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote:
joffaboy wrote:
Here is the article...
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-10-22/d ... es-a-saint
In 2013, Delaney played only the final five games of the year. North Melbourne offered him a new contract but he made the decision to leave in search of more opportunities at senior level.
If North were going to delist then we could have got him as a delisted free agent.
I am pretty sure that the Delaney deal was tied into the Saints agreeing to let Dal Santo go as a free agent.

OK thanks LLS, so North were looking to contract him not delist him as was stated as fact by a previous poster.

Lance or James??