Creating a new forward

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

FQF
SS Life Member

Creating a new forward

It seems that this forum is almost in unanimous agreement that Maister is struggling at the moment. Yes he does some good things, but he is severely lacking in certain fundamental areas (marks and goals).

Some say to replace him with Lee, which would be the ideal step. Except that Lee is still getting back to full fitness and top form in the seconds, and doesn't quite deserve a call up.

Others say to either play Stanley or Longer as a permanent forward, and the other as the forward/ruck. Most recognise that neither of them can play the Maister role effectively at this stage.

Is there any chance we can convert one of our plethora of defenders into a second forward target? There are an abundance to choose from, and many of them are languishing in the seconds.

Fisher has been raised as a possibility, and he would probably be serviceable, but he's injured. What about any of Simpkin, Bruce, Roberton, Gwilt? Personally, I think Bruce is a possibility as he's played there before but he was recruited specifically as a backman and we don't want his development to be misguided.

I wouldn't mind seeing Simpkin given a shot. Play a couple of games at Sandy as a forward, and see how he goes. At this stage, there simply doesn't seem to be an opening in the back half anyway, so very little to lose.

lloyd21
Club Player

Re: Creating a new forward

Lee will kick 4 from 6 kicks that is all they require going forward.

The guy who is the "Ace" in the hole ......is White ..but just needs a solid preseason with weights and strong development year this year & learning tricks on how to beat defenders.
Have seen him myself definitely has the talent application is the key.
Overheard conversation between people who should know the talent scene - AFL recruiters from GWS and they rated White very very highly.

70s sainter
Club Player

lloyd21 wrote:Lee will kick 4 from 6 kicks that is all they require going forward.

The guy who is the "Ace" in the hole ......is White ..but just needs a solid preseason with weights and strong development year this year & learning tricks on how to beat defenders.
Overheard conversation between people who should know the talent scene - AFL recruiters from GWS and they rated White very very highly.
Then why did he play in the development squad last weekend . It's a long way off being a gun.
Anyway I hope they're right.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Right now White is on the chopping block. He is quickly turning into a poor mans Jarred Grant.... And will need a massive turn around (alan Grant) to not be delisted.

Lee will be given a shot Fwd

With AR current structure..... Siposs is in Limbo

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I don't want to rush Lee... let him really build himself up over the next 4 weeks

Maister by default I guess

stinger
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Right now White is on the chopping block. He is quickly turning into a poor mans Jarred Grant.... And will need a massive turn around (alan Grant) to not be delisted.

Lee will be given a shot Fwd

With AR current structure..... Siposs is in Limbo

i very much doubt that....he's still only 19 and according to brereton one of only two a young players with star talent on our list.......the other one being billing.........but then again dermie has been known to speak to early.... :D

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

From what I saw Saturday

Spencer is far from elite... He's got some athletic tricks... Plenty more deficiencies

Has no work rate, no second effort, no defensive side... Is not strong at the contest and only makes a few contests anyway

He played VFL seconds ..... Some kids out there wouldn't play local seniors... He looked barely at that level... Sorry about the bad news

Billings played VFL seniors... Younger, smaller, just in the system

He is elite talent. Not elite player yet.

Big difference to Spencer but

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Spencer White....I had a WTF moment when we selected him. I was amazed Tom Clurey was still available at our mid 20's picks and thought we would select him for sure.....and we didn't.

lloyd21
Club Player

Hate to argue but spoke to people inside club about White he has not done 1 proper preseason yet since been there body

Watch him when his body allows him to do the work seen him take Sam Pleming from Port Melbourne apart last year is only a kid .Forwards have tricks he has them quick really confident in 2 years providing injury stays away.
Eg Matt Suckling was 4 years in the system before he was ready some guys take time.

Really confident about him & Markworth being very exciting in 2 years can you wait...?

SaintK

Can you write in English?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

How did he tear Pleming apart?

That one long run into open goal?

He has got a few tricks... ATM not enough substance, or any really

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Hack.

lloyd21
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:Hack.
Really won best and fairest at Port Melbourne

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

lloyd21 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Hack.
Really won best and fairest at Port Melbourne

Spencer White? i have no idea if he is hack but someone on is nearly suggesting that. Thought id follow his lead.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Spencer White is a gumby, and I will make up a system to prove this even if he ends up like a combination of Franklin, Goodes, and Natinui

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
tony74
SS Hall of Fame

70s sainter wrote:
lloyd21 wrote:Lee will kick 4 from 6 kicks that is all they require going forward.

Then why did he play in the development squad last weekend . It's a long way off being a gun.

They are right. Lee 2015
Marksworth 2014/15
White 2016

FQF
SS Life Member

Lee should be a starter in the 22 every week from the midway point of the season. I get that he had an interrupted preseason but he's on the park now and no reason why he shouldn't find his form and fitness after another 5 or 6 rounds. He is not a youngster.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote: Sorry about the bad news
Apologies BM but can you please clarify what the "bad news" is??

Is the "bad news" that you think he most definitely will not make it as an AFL footballer??

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
remboy
SS Hall of Fame

tony74 wrote:
70s sainter wrote:

They are right. Lee 2015
Marksworth 2014/15
White 2016
So that should mean they finish 1, 2 & 3 in the B & F in our premiership in 2020.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
Johnny Favier
Club Player

The one major factor we have in our favour now, is that Richo is recognised as being excellent at developing the young blokes.

So hopefully we can look forward to seeing some of these developing forwards step up and show us something as this season wears on.