Time to go Clinton Jones

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Re: Time to go Clinton Jones

Playon wrote:CJ is currently ranked at 14th overall in footwires stats, that is out of all the players in the league.
http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_rankings

Ranked 1st in Total Goal Assists
Ranked 12th in Total Disposals
Ranked 12th in Total Effective Disposals
Ranked 14th in Handballs Per Game
Ranked 7th in Uncontested Possessions Per Game
Ranked 10th in Total Handballs
Ranked 7th in Total Uncontested Possessions
Ranked 2nd in Goal Assists Per Game
Ranked 14th in Disposals Per Game
Ranked 13th in Effective Disposals Per Game
http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-s ... nton-jones

These look like pretty impressive stats to me, but lets not let the facts get in the way of a perfect rant.
If he still has those numbers at the end of the year, he will be impossible to delist.
However, it's round 3 & these rankings are largely on the back of one game - against Melbourne.
I rate his games so far as r1 Outstanding, r2 Good, r3 Average.

Batnoe
Club Player

And this is why being a saints fan annoys me!
Because of idiot supporters that want a premiership but can't make hard decisions to get one.
Many supporters thought getting ridding of Goddard, Dal Santo and Mcevoy meant that our support staff had moles trying to make us lose by getting rid of a good player.
Clinton Jones is nearly 30, he won't be around for long and mixing forward shouldn't t be in our team. The term 'effective stat' states that it lands 5m from the player they wanted to kick it to. What about his pearler to Eli which set up a goal?
Was going for top of goal square and slipped off his boot.
This was classes as an effective disposal and goal assist even though it was the worst kick ever.

Get over the fact he tries his hardest, he will never be a premiership player.. He's a tryer, but his skills are not afl standard.. It's the same as having peter street as ruckman because he's 208cm

Carn Saints
FQF
SS Life Member

He will not be out of the team any time soon and rightly so. Yes he won't play in our next premiership but we cannot remain a viable team in this competition without respectable performances on the field - believe it or not, CJ allows us to be competitive.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:He will not be out of the team any time soon and rightly so. Yes he won't play in our next premiership but we cannot remain a viable team in this competition without respectable performances on the field - believe it or not, CJ allows us to be competitive.
Agree. You really should pick your best available team to win. The members and fans demand it. Jones is in our best available team.

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

I'd say Jones will struggle to remain in our best side the longer the season goes. He's been at the very least a serviceable player for us but he's in the same boat as guys like Maister and TDL. Guys who will get pushed out of the side by the youth

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
matrix
Saintsational Legend

seriously i thought this was an old thread from ages ago and someone bumped it to show the op the actual effort and work rate jonesy puts in
then i looked at the date of the thread

:roll:
yeah he has average kicking
do you get rid of roo when he kicks 1.4 for three out of four weeks over the years?

i know its an opinion but it seems you are just looking at his negative points
which really is his kicking
imagine if he kicked like bj
he'd be a top 20 player in the league
has huge workrate, huge.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

matrix wrote:seriously i thought this was an old thread from ages ago and someone bumped it to show the op the actual effort and work rate jonesy puts in
then i looked at the date of the thread

:roll:
yeah he has average kicking
do you get rid of roo when he kicks 1.4 for three out of four weeks over the years?

i know its an opinion but it seems you are just looking at his negative points
which really is his kicking
imagine if he kicked like bj
he'd be a top 20 player in the league
has huge workrate, huge.
This is not about any other player.

This is about Clinton Jones' terrible kicking.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

so we cant compare him to anyone????

what tosh

but thanks for clearing it up that the thread was about jonesy
cmon, if roo had a 40% conversion rate would you say 'time to go roo' ???

work rate is prob higher than jones
but they both work hard in all aspects

comparing the two isnt silly at all
but whatever

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

My only problem with jones is his kicking !

Yet , I feel the club has to take a fair share of the blame .
He's been at the club since 2007 and had no improvement .
The last thing you want these days is the players practising there kicking skills .

God forbid , they might hurt there foot !

In red white and black from 73
gringo
Saintsational Legend

mr six o'clock wrote:My only problem with jones is his kicking !

The last thing you want these days is the players practising there kicking skills .

Clint has improved his kicking dramatically. His stats are actually quite good these days.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
mr six o'clock wrote:My only problem with jones is his kicking !

Clint has improved his kicking dramatically. His stats are actually quite good these days.

I dont care what stats say. I watch games and he isnt a very good kick at all but he has certainly improved from a bad kick. What he does now is limit his bad kicks because of good decision making however it does limit him somewhat because he cant just take the long option because he doesnt have that option.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Please use punctuation Plugger.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
elvis lives
Club Player

The Redeemer wrote:As the title suggests...

How can we really keep a player that looks for the handball repeatedly when running into goal by himself?

Can he actually not kick the football?

This happened 4 times tonight and is getting embarrassing that the bloke cannot and does not kick.

Clint Jones has more goal assists than any other player in the competition after the first three rounds of footy

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2014-04-1 ... stk-vs-ade

You know nothing Jon Snow

I am marching in the Saints army
Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Reckon we should select our best 22, if its a line-ball decision develop the kids.

Clint is in our best 22 right now, we'll have a bloody good midfield when he gives way to a better player.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

i don't care what anybody else says....i'm an unabashed jones admirer...if anything my admiration has only grown this year....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
spert
Saintsational Legend

One of the main reasons we are 2/3 is due to the leadership shown from Roo and Jones

Johnny Favier
Club Player

Batnoe wrote:And this is why being a saints fan annoys me!
Because of idiot supporters that want a premiership but can't make hard decisions to get one.
Many supporters thought getting ridding of Goddard, Dal Santo and Mcevoy meant that our support staff had moles trying to make us lose by getting rid of a good player.
Clinton Jones is nearly 30, he won't be around for long and mixing forward shouldn't t be in our team. The term 'effective stat' states that it lands 5m from the player they wanted to kick it to. What about his pearler to Eli which set up a goal?
This was classes as an effective disposal and goal assist even though it was the worst kick ever.

Get over the fact he tries his hardest, he will never be a premiership player.. He's a tryer, but his skills are not afl standard.. It's the same as having peter street as ruckman because he's 208cm
You make some valid points, but for the here and now we're not a premiership contender, and unlike Melbourne we have an excellent group of on-field leaders like Clint showing the way for the young blokes.

Jonesy is a shining example of the level of application needed to make it at the top level, so right at this moment in time I'd say he's exactly the kind of bloke we need around the club.
In 1 or 2 years time, the natural development of the younger blokes will be forcing Clint out of the side you'd reckon.

BTW....some of us have been following the Saints for 30+ years and to be called idiots for wanting a premiership but not wanting to make the hard decisions is not only insulting, it's also untrue. Poor form mate.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Favier wrote:
Batnoe wrote:And this is why being a saints fan annoys me!

You make some valid points, but for the here and now we're not a premiership contender, and unlike Melbourne we have an excellent group of on-field leaders like Clint showing the way for the young blokes.

Jonesy is a shining example of the level of application needed to make it at the top level, so right at this moment in time I'd say he's exactly the kind of bloke we need around the club.
In 1 or 2 years time, the natural development of the younger blokes will be forcing Clint out of the side you'd reckon.

BTW....some of us have been following the Saints for 30+ years and to be called idiots for wanting a premiership but not wanting to make the hard decisions is not only insulting, it's also untrue. Poor form mate.
Logical, balanced and fair post JF.

However, I think you're being overly kind on Batone's poor post.

Unlike you. I'm not feeling very diplomatic this morning.
Batnoe wrote:

Get over the fact he tries his hardest, he will never be a premiership player..
Irrelevant comment. Jones went very close, twice. Roo and Lenny will never be premiership players either.
Batnoe wrote:

He's a tryer, but his skills are not afl standard.
That's an exaggeration at best. Played over 100 AFL games and played by three different coaches who have seen value in him. Granted his kicking can be a real weakness.
Batnoe wrote: It's the same as having peter street as ruckman because he's 208cm.
No it's not. That's just a nonsensical comment.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Maybe he should have played rugby?

He runs and tackles good, sets strangers alight...

Playon
Club Player

CJ has been one of the best taggers in the comp for some time now and I'm pretty sure he's doing whats been asked, hard at the ball, creating pressure and taking the game on and I'd imagine AR would be happy with his efforts.

To be asked to be dropped after 3 rounds with those stats is ridiculous.
From CJ's profile at saints.com.au
"In the last fortnight of 2013 he held Gary Ablett to just seven kicks at Etihad Stadium before amassing a career-best 35 disposals against Fremantle the following week"

Now Isn't Ablett supposed to be the best player in the comp? and a good kick? How was Ablett's kicking that day? Don't you have to be able to get the ball first?

Who do you suggest would fill his role?

Oh and Batnoe the thing I hate about being a Saints fan is when our own supporters bag our players, personally I get enough of that from opposition supporters.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Can't see the debate

I'd rate him in our best 8 players

On current form best 4

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

CJ has consistently been a contributor with his nullifying tactics, his pressure and his tackling. Some players just have to be selected in the team as taggers and their role is invaluable

Brent Macaffer had only 9 touches last night. Universally lauded as one of the most important components of their victory and just as important as Beams or Swan

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

spert wrote:One of the main reasons we are 2/3 is due to the leadership shown from Roo and Jones
Jones showing leadership?

Ouch! We are in more trouble than we thought!

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

The Redeemer wrote:
spert wrote:One of the main reasons we are 2/3 is due to the leadership shown from Roo and Jones
Jones showing leadership?

Ouch! We are in more trouble than we thought!
"Fire up guys, fire up!"
Not leadership to you?

Winmar
Club Player

CJ finished 6th in the B&F last year and has had a very good 2014 so far. I can't believe he's being singled out right now.