St Kilda going home !!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Megamaguire
Club Player

St Kilda Planning to get bigger - tick

I think you are right Gringo with your political observations. It seems a very cynical time in local politics at the moment. Tony Rabid is a very depressing public figure for me never mind being the peoples' representative in arguably the most important creative job in the land. Like George Bush beating Gore by a whisker in a very questionable Florida election Abbott brings his cynical 'witch-crazy' mind-set to Australian politics while doing didley squat about the looming environmental and climate disaster human-kind are still actively encouraging. I mention Gore because like Turnbull who strikes me as a lot less cynical and simple-minded compared to Toney A. they both narrowly missed out on the top job. Look at Malcolm Fraser compared to Abbott, the old liberal grand-dad is far more wise and relevant. Turnbull i think was beaten by Abbott's supporters by one vote and now we have a pumpkin in the top job. Gore knew earlier than many polies that the climate -change threat was both serious and devastating - we got his movie but no influence in the white house unfortunately. I could't stand Howard but even he had a plan to fund countries that were thrashing their rainforests to re- plant them rather than remove them from the picture. On some issues it is survival and although i usually can't abide the liberal outlook i'm preparedto recognise the frasers, turnbulls and howards when they at least show some evidence of thought or even interest.
On the Napthine tunnel - get real we N E E D a fully functioning public transport system already. because a few politicians announce Melbourne has to have an extra 1 million people it shouldn't be as night follows day that that means an extra 1 million cars. This is a comment on the tunnel issue not so much Napthine.
Yes to a higher profile and the Junction Oval. Simply to survive while afl bosses whisper about equalisation but prefer not discussing it too much let alone implementing for the sake of ALL clubs needs our club to raise its' profile in this monied world. Interesting that the Hawks are looking at moving too. Hope we don't miss the boat to the Junction.

Good stuff Gringo.

On Ya Jack Steven - is he due back soon? :D

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Re: St Kilda going home !!

#gosaintas wrote:Gringo if you had your way, you'd be more than a bit poorer, the whole country would be bust.
Fortunately the labor debt monkeys are in opposition, waiting for the big bad liberal party to fix their mistakes and recapitalise the country, before people like you vote them out so labor can piss it all up again. What a great cycle.

The Liberal model is sell the house and rent it back so the check book looks good. Labour aren't exactly any better these days but the people who tell you that Governments are meant to not spend anything are not very reliable. Spending money on infrastructure and training skilled workers is an investment. Politics is depressing these days because there is no common goal just 4 years of sniping and shows of quick fix hiding of real issues which are then pushed on to the next party to take power. Politicians create a narrative that will get votes then have to live with in their stupid confines. I would rather pretend it's all not happening anymore. If the Greens weren't a bunch of financially unrealistic ideologues and zealots I would vote for them.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

For those who may not be aware, there is a whole forum dedicated to Politics :idea:

viewforum.php?f=25

thequarry
Club Player

Caro pointed out that the process is being largely driven by Gillon McLachlan, who "was joined" by Demetriou for government talks. thezelk mentioned Peter Summers' involvement too, which is certainly backed up by the club taking the initiative for the promo training run there a few weeks ago (if ill-planned in terms time, day, etc.). But I wonder how much of the AFL's end is fuelled by the fact that Gillon is a St Kilda supporter? They might have a rosy view of St Kilda's prospects at the Junction Oval after all if he's keen on it.

philtee
Club Player

Terrific move by all concerned.
Would love to see the Linen House infrastructure replicated at the Junction Oval.
Lap pool, gym, weights room, treatment rooms, offices, fenced carpark...Cost? $10M? $12M?
Harry Trott Oval refurb - $2M? New oval construction - $5M ?
Be very advantageous to get in the pipeline of government grants, state and federal, as Geelong has done with
their work at K. Park, with the Saints and members going dollar for dollar.

Worth noting - Richmond's Punt Road Oval works have cost $20M - and their story makes for a very interesting read -
http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2014- ... enovations

Saints94
SS Life Member

thequarry wrote:Caro pointed out that the process is being largely driven by Gillon McLachlan, who "was joined" by Demetriou for government talks. thezelk mentioned Peter Summers' involvement too, which is certainly backed up by the club taking the initiative for the promo training run there a few weeks ago (if ill-planned in terms time, day, etc.). But I wonder how much of the AFL's end is fuelled by the fact that Gillon is a St Kilda supporter? They might have a rosy view of St Kilda's prospects at the Junction Oval after all if he's keen on it.
+1.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:For those who may not be aware, there is a whole forum dedicated to Politics :idea:

viewforum.php?f=25
Exactly - get it off the footy thread, I dont want to be dumbed down any further than already happens on the footy forum.

However simple equation

Libs get back in - Junction Oval MAY go ahead - it is only an election promise.

Lab gets in - Ballarat upgrade MAY go ahead - it is only an election promise.

But be damn sure both will definately not go ahead.

So its either Junction Oval upgrade or Ballarat Lake Oval upgrade, depending on who gets in
(Napthine is a cooked goose so my money would be on a maybe for Ballarat)

Looks like it wont happen.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Saint 58
Club Player

chook23 wrote:
Saint 58 wrote:Saints need to have absolute total control during the football season.
If that's not set in stone then I wouldn't go back there.
Why?

If another connecting oval upgraded.................admin/indoor facilities could be multi purpose etc
Yes I agree - have multi purpose shared facilities of course.
What I mean is we don't want to seen as sub leasing tenants like Fitzroy was at Vic Park, Princes Park, etc.
It should be the Saints Home Base, which is also used for cricket.

What you do for others will define your life.
[Football isn't everything ... it's the ONLY thing]
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Im 52 years of age and have nothing to do with the Junction oval as a saints ground. Its been a Fitzroy ground or an OM's ground. Thats what I know it as so i have one question. I gather most on here are under 60 years of age and in the same boat as me so why would you rather go to the Junction than Moorabbin if the club think they need to leave Seaford. Surely we have many more supporters closer to Moorabbin the St Kilda and surely its a younger area and a more stable area for families to grow up in. Dont a lot of older or younger people libe around the St Kilda area but not as many familes as the Moorabbin area and wouldnt those people move more often because of their age. And of course I know there will be familes that are on SS who live there but if we did a poll my guess is many more would live closer to Moorabbin. If we are doing it to get more support I dont see how it works.

Joffa 5
Club Player

From what I'm reading, it's having a presence at St Kilda, Moorabbin and Seaford. Surely a sponsor having their name on a building so close to the CBD would be appealing?

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Email from the club
Peter Summers wrote:The St Kilda Football Club acknowledges media reports linking the club to a potential redevelopment of the Junction Oval.

The AFL, State Government, MCC and Cricket Victoria have been involved in discussions concerning access to the MCG for football for some time.

We understand that those discussions also impact the potential redevelopment of the Junction Oval and that in very recent times the prospect of a Junction Oval redevelopment incorporating a St Kilda Football Club presence has been canvassed amongst those involved in the discussions.

Whilst not party to those discussions, the St Kilda Football Club has recently been consulted by the AFL in relation to the prospect of incorporating a Saints presence into the potential redevelopment as part of their broader objectives linking elite and community football facilities in Victoria.

The St Kilda Football Club has a heartland strategy which aims to promote strong engagement between the club, its supporters and Melbourne’s bayside communities. We have a professional training and administration base at Linen House Centre in Seaford, an ongoing presence at Moorabbin and would consider any new opportunities to further combine our rich bayside heritage with future community engagement.

When you consider our whole of bayside strategy, existing quality facilities at Linen House Centre, strength of relationships with Frankston and Kingston City Councils and commitments that are in place it is however presently highly speculative to imply any situation beyond that which has been articulated above.

Peter Summers
President - St Kilda Football Club

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

The biggest tragedy/worst case scenario would be if a Junction Oval redevelopment actually happened and we werent part of it and the Demons took it on.

Id be inconsolable.

We cant allow that to happen.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Just happened to be at Moorabbin first thing this morning.

Terry Dillon was there to brief the staff there on this issue.

Though do not read too much into that...just a good sign that the Club has thought to brief all staff as no doubt they will all be bombarded with questions.

Summers email to members today....looked to be designed to keeping in sweet with Kingston Council.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Joffa 5 wrote:From what I'm reading, it's having a presence at St Kilda, Moorabbin and Seaford. Surely a sponsor having their name on a building so close to the CBD would be appealing?

Hit the nail on the head right there. If we want to build profile with sponsors and make ourselves a more attractive proposition to fans we need to raise our visibility . Signage near St Kilda junction which filters all traffic from the peninsula into the city would be so hugely appealing to sponsors. Holden were stolen from under us by Collingwood- if I was them and I looked at the two training facilities I know which looks more appealing. When a kid from anywhere in Melbourne comes past the saints training while on their way to Luna Park they see the stars and choose their team for life. These kinds of things can position you for the future not just act as a stunt for the media. I would think having VFL at Moorabin, a community partnership with Frankston to continue a presence in the area with clinics at Seaford where they interact with a local club who could take over the ground would be perfect.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:The biggest tragedy/worst case scenario would be if a Junction Oval redevelopment actually happened and we werent part of it and the Demons took it on.

Id be inconsolable.

Gaze said hawks are looking to move. Demons will be looking to hide in the back blocks somewhere. We will miss the boat again like we did on anchor tenancy at Etihad and Waverley.

wolfpup
Club Player

spert wrote:Most importantly, there's a pub over the road from the ground
St.Kilda bowls club as well, old school St.Kilda FTW :D

-----------

St.Kilda Forever!
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Con said :
The biggest tragedy/worst case scenario would be if a Junction Oval redevelopment actually took place and we werent part of it and the Demons took it on.

Id be inconsolable. We cant allow that to happen.
Yes, I agree Con. We need to be in this from day one in order to get or have the opportunity to get a winning deal out of it - not to be pissed on by others.

As usual, "the money" will decide what happens and a lot of water is yet to go under the bridge. The Melbourne move to Junction Oval a few years ago, was a half-baked effort. As in the past, Cricket Victoria held the trump cards and acted accordingly. With the AFL and Government directly involved, plus MCG interest, it may well turn out to be a different ball game this time around.

For the image and commercial attractiveness of the Club, we need to have a "real home," not Seaford - be that Moorabbin or Junction Oval.

Limited sized facilities for small/interstate games, could work at a lower investment, but as I have said in another thread, the cost/space for car parking facilities will be another limiting factor.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:The biggest tragedy/worst case scenario would be if a Junction Oval redevelopment actually happened and we werent part of it and the Demons took it on.

Id be inconsolable.

Gaze said hawks are looking to move. Demons will be looking to hide in the back blocks somewhere. We will miss the boat again like we did on anchor tenancy at Etihad and Waverley.
id be inconsolable if hawks took it over.
would set them up for another 20 years of domination.
they seem to be always one step ahead of the pack.
their waverley moment was our seaford moment - just 5 years ahead.
their tassie moment was our nz moment - just 5 years ahead.
now if they pull this off - we will be still 5-10 years behind them.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
Joffa 5 wrote:From what I'm reading, it's having a presence at St Kilda, Moorabbin and Seaford. Surely a sponsor having their name on a building so close to the CBD would be appealing?

Hit the nail on the head right there. If we want to build profile with sponsors and make ourselves a more attractive proposition to fans we need to raise our visibility . Signage near St Kilda junction which filters all traffic from the peninsula into the city would be so hugely appealing to sponsors. Holden were stolen from under us by Collingwood- if I was them and I looked at the two training facilities I know which looks more appealing. When a kid from anywhere in Melbourne comes past the saints training while on their way to Luna Park they see the stars and choose their team for life. These kinds of things can position you for the future not just act as a stunt for the media. I would think having VFL at Moorabin, a community partnership with Frankston to continue a presence in the area with clinics at Seaford where they interact with a local club who could take over the ground would be perfect.

Most people get onto Lakeside drive from Queens rd thus avoiding the Junction. Unless we have signs in the parkland which would be very doubtful then I dont see how anyone would even know who sponsors us. Dont a lot of cars go past seaford every single day. Thinking it would be more than the Junction. I think the only people who thought we were getting Holden as a sponsor were people on here. That doesnt mean it was stolen from us. The pies got it because they are the pies and I doubt it is there position. Why would you go past the Junction to get to Luna Park.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:Just happened to be at Moorabbin first thing this morning.

Terry Dillon was there to brief the staff there on this issue.

Though do not read too much into that...just a good sign that the Club has thought to brief all staff as no doubt they will all be bombarded with questions.

Summers email to members today....looked to be designed to keeping in sweet with Kingston Council.
Agree with that but sheesh we have expended enough energy on Kingston Council over the years. They screwed us over and now we are worried about hurting their feelings? They should be sucking up to us - not the other way around.

I think Summers needs to make sure hes on the main table in all of this. The hawks will trump us and in 10 years time we will be still be sucking up to Kingston Council while they boss us around telling us what we can and cant do.

We need some vision and balls.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

So we spent 500k resurfacing Moorabbin in 2006, left there a few years later, spent 10M on a trading facility?

And what now we are spending club money - we don't have.... So what, people don't have to drive to work? Even though they still will have to, only this time with (not against) the traffic?! Like to know how many players live in StK??

It's a training ground FFS

It has grass, a weights room, some rehab stuff and some change rooms?

Gee Seaford FC is in for a nice upgrade on facilities?.... This is like the Tassie/Casey defection ..... Because players aren't happy, we must move?!
Here's an idea? Tell the to get fkn happy and get used to it!!! The tail doesn't wag the dog.

How about sticking with something, and looking long term?....

Club is always after a quick fix IMO and try to salvage their image...

Btw
Wasn't cricket (the stkcc) the reason we up and left JO?
Anyone remember or have heard about the feeling when we moved in 65? Back the Moorabbin must have felt like Dromana does now?

Legendary
Club Player

Make no mistake - Summers & our board have been driving this.

The public statement today was designed to satisfy the Kingston & Frankston councils.

L. Fox has been involved at the highest levels to make this happen for the Saints. We won't let this one slip.

The vision is our main training ground and elite facilities at Junction Oval, our main business/administration/heritage at Moorabbin, along with our standalone VFL team, and a continued presence in Frankston with occasional training at Seaford and involvement in the local community there. We would truly own St Kilda down to the Peninsula.

If we can get federal government money involved, there's still a chance of a 20,000 seat stadium at the Junction Oval, but it's a very small chance at present.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Legendary wrote:Make no mistake - Summers & our board have been driving this.

The public statement today was designed to satisfy the Kingston & Frankston councils.

L. Fox has been involved at the highest levels to make this happen for the Saints. We won't let this one slip.

The vision is our main training ground and elite facilities at Junction Oval, our main business/administration/heritage at Moorabbin, along with our standalone VFL team, and a continued presence in Frankston with occasional training at Seaford and involvement in the local community there. We would truly own St Kilda down to the Peninsula.

If we can get federal government money involved, there's still a chance of a 20,000 seat stadium at the Junction Oval, but it's a very small chance at present.

You do realise that would cost close to 200 million dollars and secondly how could you get that many in because the 2 old stands are heritage listed. No why with how grounds are today that the place could fit more than 10k unless we go back to the old standing room and that aint happening. If it costs nothing for us to train there than why not do it but the question is do enough young families live in that area because once we leave seaford the taken training there wont really get much support.

Saints94
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:

You do realise that would cost close to 200 million dollars and secondly how could you get that many in because the 2 old stands are heritage listed. No why with how grounds are today that the place could fit more than 10k unless we go back to the old standing room and that aint happening. If it costs nothing for us to train there than why not do it but the question is do enough young families live in that area because once we leave seaford the taken training there wont really get much support.
But I thought Cricket Victoria would get Junction Oval while we get a redeveloped oval with no historic stands?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Saints94 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

But I thought Cricket Victoria would get Junction Oval while we get a redeveloped oval with no historic stands?

If that is the case then it makes it even less room for a proper ground. And the fact there is no parking and bugger all public transport rules that completely out.