Whoops Richo- out coached today

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Re: Whoops Richo- out coached today

White Winmar wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:As noted by others..bad day at the office for Richo...made worse by flat players...
Spot on SR. The players were obviously as flat as a witch's tit. The trip to Perth and back always needs to be factored in, especially with the young players. I was surprised by the margin, but not that we were beaten fairly easily. The skill level of some of the senior players was disappointing, but fatigue will do that to you. Let's hope the injectors suffer a similar lapse this week, although I 'm sure Dr. Ageless could whip up a quick tonic!

In any event, sack Richardson. There, I said it!

If the players are flat, then what on earth can a coach do?

If a jockey pulls the whip and the horse doesn't respond, can you claim it was a bad ride cause he finished last?

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:We are all armchair experts aren't we?
No. Sitting in the grandstand or on the couch and claiming to know better than 6 experienced coaches in the box, that know exactly what the game plan, and know absolutely everything about each players' fitness, preparation and goals - is, well, stupid and also very self-indulgent.

If, and it's a rhetorical 'if', both clubs were doing everything possible to win at any cost, and both had similar cattle, then I could justify some armchair critique as to what went wrong.

But we don't have a clue what our coaches were trying to get out of Sunday's game. I'm sure they'd have loved to have won, but I'd bet there were many other measurables and targets they would have been aiming for.

BigMart wrote:Your revelation about being a a bottom 4 club is a little bit of a cop out is it not?
Revelation?? Myself and pretty much the entire footy world has been saying this for months. Hardly a revelation!!
BigMart wrote:But it seems it was worse than a loss..l it was a hiding with little effort... That is not to be expected

So if there is no effort, what exactly can a coaching panel do tactically to turn that around? If players are tired and/or flat, then there's no tactic in the world that'll turn that around.

felix
Club Player

by joffaboy » Sun 13 Apr 2014 5:15pm

felix wrote:
Isn't the coach there to work on players skills ?

So what? Sack him after a month?

Geeze why would you say that?

If the coach whom I assume is responsible for the assistant coaches isn't concerned about skill levels and doing something about it who the hell is ??? A lot of out team are pretty young. The coach must be responsible for skill teaching or asking his assistants to.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:
White Winmar wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:As noted by others..bad day at the office for Richo...made worse by flat players...
Spot on SR. The players were obviously as flat as a witch's tit. The trip to Perth and back always needs to be factored in, especially with the young players. I was surprised by the margin, but not that we were beaten fairly easily. The skill level of some of the senior players was disappointing, but fatigue will do that to you. Let's hope the injectors suffer a similar lapse this week, although I 'm sure Dr. Ageless could whip up a quick tonic!

In any event, sack Richardson. There, I said it!

If the players are flat, then what on earth can a coach do?

If a jockey pulls the whip and the horse doesn't respond, can you claim it was a bad ride cause he finished last?
You missed my point. I was trying to point out there was nothing he could do as a coach if the players are fatigued and flat. As for calling for Richardson to be sacked, I was being sarcastic. I reckon Richo is the man. Seriously? You thought I was genuinely calling for him to get the sack? Some on here need to get a sense of humour. Or maybe we need to use emoticons to express ourselves fully. :roll:

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

I didn't even read the 'sack Richo' part.

I just saw you agreeing with a sentence that potted the coach's performance yet referred to the players being flat in the same sentence.

Hence my response.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Not sure if it's the coaching or the players but I covered my eyes when Roo got it just behind centre looked up and there was nobody in our half.
I will probably be flamed for my yearning for the old days but surely not that hard to have one forward remain forward!

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:I didn't even read the 'sack Richo' part.

I just saw you agreeing with a sentence that potted the coach's performance yet referred to the players being flat in the same sentence.

Hence my response.
Where on earth did I pot the coach? I said the PLAYERS were flat, not the coach. Bizarre post, Johnny. Read mine again.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Read mine.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:Read mine.
I did. Still makes no sense. Didn't ever say I agreed with the bit about Richo having a bad day. I only agreed with the part about the player's being flat. Read mine again.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

You shouldn't have quoted the patronising comment about the coach's performance when you replied "spot on..." if you didn't think that part was spot on.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

knock-ons is one area we can improve in - we still do the 'drag it in' technique from the 90s which doesn't work anymore cos the umps ping u for it quite often. sometimes we do the tentative tap away or the look for the boundary or the confused handball. If everyone in the side knows you are going to belt it a certain way with real meaning - they will anticipate and run there. The hawks are masters at this - not just the tap on but when the defenders punch they try and whack it as hard as they can - and often guys like hill are already waiting for this to happen and end up with the ball 5 metres in the clear. Its bloody effective.

Good article on this

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/f ... 6884173100

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Seriously Johnny, stop with the whinging defence of the coach

I could easily bet every saints supporter

1/ wouldn't have an issue with him after the game
2/ would be fairly impressed thus far.

Just making comment about the game.

Me, I didn't see it, I was posing a question about the 'loose' and describing some pretty commonly know ways to 'break' a tag. Which I believe Joey struggled with... And will get a lot more of this year. He and supporters will understand what NDS put up with most weeks.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

I'm not really defending him, as much as deriding the armchair wankers who get up on their soapbox after a loss and proclaim to know better than 6 professionals based on what they saw from their lounge room or their seat in the grandstand - without even knowing exactly what these 6 experts were actually trying to achieve.

I'm overseas and haven't seen a second of the game so I can't defend him nor pot him.

It's the floggers with the 'xxxx was outcoached today because our team was beaten by a better team with better footballers in it' that deserve derision.

These people need to understand a coach's actual role and the game day process of modern coaching before posting this guff. They're not standing on the hill watching the locals. It works very differently in the AFL.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Seriously Johnny, stop with the whinging defence of the coach

I could easily bet every saints supporter

1/ wouldn't have an issue with him after the game
2/ would be fairly impressed thus far.

Just making comment about the game.

Me, I didn't see it, I was posing a question about the 'loose' and describing some pretty commonly know ways to 'break' a tag. Which I believe Joey struggled with... And will get a lot more of this year. He and supporters will understand what NDS put up with most weeks.

He did what you discribed. As you said you didnt see it so dont go suggesting things he actually did.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Just making comment about the game.

How can you make comment about a game that you didn't see any of?

You have no idea what coaching moves were made, but you are throwing up suggestions on how we could have done it better?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

P66

Who the **** are you to tell me what to suggest... Or

Firstly I asked a question about whether

Then, Read carefully

I was bagging your typically dumb smartarse response... Whatever he did to 'break' the tag obviously didn't work... Because you commented that Joey played his worse ever game?!

Johnny,

Why can't members be critical of a coach? I'm sure Richo wouldn't be so concerned as to get ridiculously defensive and not allow a supporter a comment on the game. What are supporters allowed to say... Just "go Nicky" or "oh darn, better luck next time"

For god sake man, that is what a forum is for... To discuss the fortunes of your team, and argue, analyse, discuss games, coaches and players.... You can't deny someone an opinion .... Because they are not on the inner sanctum. Otherwise, only 6-8 people could only make any comment. I am sure Blues fans are having an opinion ATM

Dragit
I didn't explain that well
It was in response to Johnny not wanting people to comment on the game. Suggesting people are just commenting on the game.
Me, I just posed a question about Joey and why he had no influence. Then...
I was then just explaining to P66 about what 'breaking a tag' involves... Because he doesn't seem to understand?! Obviously moving a player is not a way to break a tag, it's not Netball... Opponents can follow you??

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Sorry

Whether or not Joey was given a different role, whilst getting done in his usual role?

A simple, response could have followed... But NO, a chance for some typical antagonising jibes...

And I stated, I didn't catch the game?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

No worries, mart settle… it's okay.

Just seems odd participating in a thread about a game that you haven't seen, I understand your general comment about shaking tags.

From memory they sent Montagna to one of their major ball winners at one stage, to at least nullify one of theirs while he was being tagged out of it.

If Jones is playing as a pure mid, while Curren tags, is he getting enough of the ball? Joey had a stinker for 17 touches and 5 clearances while heavily tagged, while CJ had 21 and 2…

cps
Club Player

spert wrote:Clear tactics used by Sanderson, and Richo didn't counteract it in the second quarter
Could you expand on this - where and when?

What were Sanderson's clear tactics?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

His main 'tactic' was for his players to kick the ball to other Adelaide players… something we couldn't do.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

so, its now tuesday

have you seen the game yet?

there might be some new insights and revelations.
and i for one would be fascinated to get a breakdown of your thoughts qtr by qtr

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:I'm not really defending him, as much as deriding the armchair wankers who get up on their soapbox after a loss and proclaim to know better than 6 professionals based on what they saw from their lounge room or their seat in the grandstand - without even knowing exactly what these 6 experts were actually trying to achieve.

I'm overseas and haven't seen a second of the game so I can't defend him nor pot him.

It's the floggers with the 'xxxx was outcoached today because our team was beaten by a better team with better footballers in it' that deserve derision.

These people need to understand a coach's actual role and the game day process of modern coaching before posting this guff. They're not standing on the hill watching the locals. It works very differently in the AFL.
Didn't see the game? Wow. Johnny, it's time to let go of your member!

stkfc1
Club Player

We were going at 74 and 75% disposal eff first 2 rounds. We dropped down to 66 and67% in the last two. The coach can put in any game plan he likes, if the players cant execute the fundamentals, like hitting a target, then all the planning in the world won't help.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

We have a very inexperienced list, with plenty of immature bodies out there. We also have more than our fair share of sore bodies on our experienced players - most of whom are now in their thirties. Expect this type of inconsistency for the next two and three quarter seasons; comes with the territory. Season 2017 we should be becoming a lot more consistent and aim for top 4. This year, 2015 and 2016 we will struggle. Accept this and just enjoy the development of our new young group of players.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

stkfc1 wrote:We were going at 74 and 75% disposal eff first 2 rounds. We dropped down to 66 and67% in the last two. The coach can put in any game plan he likes, if the players cant execute the fundamentals, like hitting a target, then all the planning in the world won't help.
Disposal efficiency is a pretty weird stat and it doesn't seem to correlate to winning… A better stat is the pure number of disposals compared with your opponent…

There were 3 huge beltings on the weekend and each of the losers had around 100 touches less.

Last years disp eff ladder looked like this

1 North Melbourne 74.2
2 Hawthorn 73.4
3 Richmond 73.2
4 St Kilda 72.9
5 Collingwood 72.8
6 Western Bulldogs 72.6
7 Fremantle 72.3
7 Geelong Cats 72.3
9 Essendon 72.1
10 Gold Coast Suns 71.9
11 Brisbane Lions 71.6
12 Adelaide Crows 71.5
13 Melbourne 70.9
13 GWS Giants 70.9
15 Sydney Swans 70.8
16 Port Adelaide 70.5
17 West Coast Eagles 70.4
18 Carlton 70.1

Whereas the total disposal ladder looked much closer to the actual WIN/LOSS ladder

1 Hawthorn 9339 373.6
2 Geelong Cats 9253 370.1
3 Sydney Swans 9227 369.1
4 Fremantle 9080 363.2
5 Collingwood 8713 378.8
6 Port Adelaide 8681 361.7
7 Richmond 8419 366
8 Essendon 8269 375.9
9 Carlton 8151 339.6
10 Adelaide Crows 8093 367.9
11 Western Bulldogs 8090 367.7
12 North Melbourne 8029 365