Can we end the Maister experiment please....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Can we end the Maister experiment please....

Con Gorozidis wrote:I still find it very difficult to bend my head around how Maister is on our list but Tom Lynch isn't.

Just an absolute head shaker.

Lynch's situation is one reason why Ill never fully respect Lyon's time at our club.

You do realise Lynch played only one more game in his first year at Adelaide so it seems they didnt see anything spacial there. And he did play 5 games in his last year with us and didnt do much at all in any of them. By the way Lynch left after RL left. It may have been due to not getting a game but Walsh left for the same reason apperantly and rumours were Armo wanted to leave but he stayed. Lych could have stayed as he knew RL had left. Maybe he actually diidnt think he was good enough to get a game at our club.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:I still find it very difficult to bend my head around how Maister is on our list but Tom Lynch isn't.

Lynch's situation is one reason why Ill never fully respect Lyon's time at our club.

You do realise Lynch played only one more game in his first year at Adelaide so it seems they didnt see anything spacial there. And he did play 5 games in his last year with us and didnt do much at all in any of them. By the way Lynch left after RL left. It may have been due to not getting a game but Walsh left for the same reason apperantly and rumours were Armo wanted to leave but he stayed. Lych could have stayed as he knew RL had left. Maybe he actually diidnt think he was good enough to get a game at our club.

He claimed it was as simple as the Crows approached him and laid out a plan of where they thought his career could go at the crows. They lost Gunston and wanted to get a player with similar traits and still at an age where he a lot of development was ahead of him would be my guess. He will be a pretty good player and somehow our club failed to make him believe in a future here. Sad state of affairs as he was a local boy who followed the Saints.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

He claimed it was as simple as the Crows approached him and laid out a plan of where they thought his career could go at the crows. They lost Gunston and wanted to get a player with similar traits and still at an age where he a lot of development was ahead of him would be my guess. He will be a pretty good player and somehow our club failed to make him believe in a future here. Sad state of affairs as he was a local boy who followed the Saints.
like con i blame lyin.....didn't put any time or effort into the young ones...certainly not game time.....he cared about his future ...not the boys or the saints.......you all know what i think of him......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

What a surprise - plugger defending anyone who works at the club 100% and never ever ever conceding anyone at the club could be anything but perfect.
The fact he was a high draft pick - he got stuff all opportunities - it is well know Lyon did not talk to young or fringe players - let alone encourage them and let alone give them any games. The fact is he left and we should have kept him. Its the clubs mistake.

Lets just cut to the chase here - the fundamental difference between you and me is you believe and support every single person who works at the club and think that the club always knows best and anything bad that happens is not their fault.

This is where we fundamentally part ways. We have won ONE flag in 120 years! Now using the theory that a room full of monkeys and a keyboard could eventually write the works of Shakespeare - 1 flag in 120 years is seriously disgraceful. Even with monkeys running the joint we should have fluked 2 by now.

It is statistically obvious that we have had many many many incompetent people woking at the club over the years and many many mistakes have been made.

This is why I won't just swallow 'the club knows best' line that you perpetually push day in day out on here.

The fact is we stuffed up over T Lynch - it is obvious. Just accept the obvious and move on.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

What a surprise - plugger defending anyone who works at the club 100% and never ever ever conceding anyone at the club could be anything but perfect.
The fact he was a high draft pick - he got stuff all opportunities - it is well know Lyon did not talk to young or fringe players - let alone encourage them and let alone give them any games. The fact is he left and we should have kept him. Its the clubs mistake.

Lets just cut to the chase here - the fundamental difference between you and me is you believe and support every single person who works at the club and think that the club always knows best and anything bad that happens is not their fault.

This is where we fundamentally part ways. We have won ONE flag in 120 years! Now using the theory that a room full of monkeys and a keyboard could eventually write the works of Shakespeare - 1 flag in 120 years is seriously disgraceful. Even with monkeys running the joint we should have fluked 2 by now.

It is statistically obvious that we have had many many many incompetent people woking at the club over the years and many many mistakes have been made.

This is why I won't just swallow 'the club knows best' line that you perpetually push day in day out on here.

The fact is we stuffed up over T Lynch - it is obvious. Just accept the obvious and move on.
You dont like it when people make you look silly. Pity it aint that hard. Con I have had enough of you and as such I wont ignore you but I will laugh at you. Lych played one more game at Adelaide in his first year that he did in his last at the saints. Thems the facts but its pretty obvious you dont like facts. Is it really well known RL didnt talk to young players? How do you know this.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote: What a surprise - plugger defending anyone who works at the club 100% and never ever ever conceding anyone at the club could be anything but perfect.

greatest load of garbage I have read on here for some time. How many did Lynch kick for Adelaide on the weekend? Was he injued?

Lynch was and is a slow hack who left after lyon was gone. And all your facts, like your statement on Eddy being a space filler are nothing more than ignorant suppisition.

I know for a fact that Lyon engaged very much with the young players, so you are completely and utterly wrong on that count.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Sorry to interrupt you girls bickering, but I though this thread was about Maister ??

Despite the fact that I love his endeavour, and determination, I have come to the conclusion that a guy playing as a KPF getting, what, one goal?< in four games is probably due for a stint at Sandy. I understand thte structure argument, and I am vrey much in favour of mature hardened bodies doing the heavy lifting so we don't overdo things on the developing bodies on our young recruits, but seriously, one goal !!

There is a limit, and I think we have reached it.

And for the record, didn't we bring in Maister (Wilkes at the time) BECAUSE we had lost Lynch, Dawson and Walsh in the off-season and needed some mature depth for our tall player stocks. And didn't Adelaide go after Lynch because they had lost Gunston, and had Walker or Tippett getting injured a lot?

Then Lynch got his chance because they lost TIppett as well and Walker did a knee (or some other serious injury)?

If memory serves me, Wilkes was brought in more as a Dawson replacement and then proved more adept (and needed) up forward. The conversation is moot, because Lynch is not at our club, and Maister is, and their relevant arrivals and departures occured under a different regime.

Focus on the present.

The topic at hand is Maister, not Lynch............

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:Sorry to interrupt you girls bickering, but I though this thread was about Maister ??

Despite the fact that I love his endeavour, and determination, I have come to the conclusion that a guy playing as a KPF getting, what, one goal?< in four games is probably due for a stint at Sandy. I understand thte structure argument, and I am vrey much in favour of mature hardened bodies doing the heavy lifting so we don't overdo things on the developing bodies on our young recruits, but seriously, one goal !!

There is a limit, and I think we have reached it.

And for the record, didn't we bring in Maister (Wilkes at the time) BECAUSE we had lost Lynch, Dawson and Walsh in the off-season and needed some mature depth for our tall player stocks. And didn't Adelaide go after Lynch because they had lost Gunston, and had Walker or Tippett getting injured a lot?

Then Lynch got his chance because they lost TIppett as well and Walker did a knee (or some other serious injury)?

If memory serves me, Wilkes was brought in more as a Dawson replacement and then proved more adept (and needed) up forward. The conversation is moot, because Lynch is not at our club, and Maister is, and their relevant arrivals and departures occured under a different regime.

Focus on the present.

The topic at hand is Maister, not Lynch............

Thanks Dad.

The Craw
Club Player

I have stuck up for Beau in the past but the last 2 offerings have been poor. Particularly last Sunday.

He definitely needs a spell at Sandy.

Not Craw, CRAW!
Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

plugger66 wrote: Thanks Dad.
You're welcome son............

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

well said mate...but you know what the say about arguing with ...well shall we say....posters without a full load..... :wink: :wink:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Beau is a spud and should never been recruited and should never have played a game for St Kilda.
He was supposedly recruited as a defender and he can't defend (which he clearly displayed on Sunday). So they try him up forward at Sandy and he kicks a couple of goals. Pick him against Melbourne (Melbourne, the team that hasn't won more than two games in a decade) he kicks three goals and he's the messiah. What happens after that? SFA!

Struggles to be a good player for Sandy. Please go back to the WAFL Beau (whatever you choose to call yourself).

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:Beau is a spud and should never been recruited and should never have played a game for St Kilda.
He was supposedly recruited as a defender and he can't defend (which he clearly displayed on Sunday). So they try him up forward at Sandy and he kicks a couple of goals. Pick him against Melbourne (Melbourne, the team that hasn't won more than two games in a decade) he kicks three goals and he's the messiah. What happens after that? SFA!

Struggles to be a good player for Sandy. Please go back to the WAFL Beau (whatever you choose to call yourself).
He was drafted on account of Scott Watters' bias for WA players, wasn't he?

Either way, I wouldn't worry about it. Have a feeling he played his final game of AFL level footy last Sunday.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Sunday was bad, not just from Beau but from Rhys Stanley as well, who I thought was particularly poor. You can see now just how much better footy players are (i.e. Kosi and Blake) even when they are past their best, or their bodies are well and truly past it, compared to the new trend of athletes who get games at the elite level. Just because a person is over 194 centimetres and physically fit and strong does not automatically magically transform them into footballers at the elite level. Maister is still getting games on the back of two great games against an undermanned Melbourne, and Stanley has had two good night series/pre-season games to his credit. They need to be earning matches from back at Sandy. They have had their go.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

The club seems to have a habit of persisting with less-than-effective forwards and giving them too many games.
Thinking back to Milan Faletic, Jodi Arnol, and a lot of others.
We have been lucky with the likes of Plugger, Loewe, Reiwoldt, Hall (!!) Sidebottom, even Heatley was ok...
but for some reason, they keep playing guys who cannot fulfil potential.
It's sad, but if we had a useful bigger body with Rooey in 09 & 10...

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Maister stays.
Club has a long proud history of gifting games to spuds whose saving grace is crashing packs and bringing the ball to the ground, where our small forwards can crumb.
Oh wait.
Milne is gone... Ah, TDL will save us! :shock: between him and Milera, we have the matchwinners right there :?

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote:The club seems to have a habit of persisting with less-than-effective forwards and giving them too many games.
We have been lucky with the likes of Plugger, Loewe, Reiwoldt, Hall (!!) Sidebottom, even Heatley was ok...

I like many others used to yell out pathetic Faletic but it maybe one of the biggests myths ever at this club. I had a look at his stats recently and people on here would bedoing cart wheels if a new player came into our side and had the impact he had on the stats sheet. Yes he was a much older player than most recruits but it seems he was harshly treated by the club and the supporters.

He was a tall half forward who kicked goals and racked up possessions for a person in that position. I suggest people who didnt rate him have a look at the stats.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: I like many others used to yell out pathetic Faletic but it maybe one of the biggests myths ever at this club. I had a look at his stats recently and people on here would bedoing cart wheels if a new player came into our side and had the impact he had on the stats sheet. Yes he was a much older player than most recruits but it seems he was harshly treated by the club and the supporters.

He was a tall half forward who kicked goals and racked up possessions for a person in that position. I suggest people who didnt rate him have a look at the stats.
Yeah, but the name didn't help him.

Maybe if he had've been called Milan Fremendous, things could've been a whole lot different :wink:

falka
Club Player

Gold

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:Milan Fremendous
:D like

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

If we do experiments on him like inject him with Captain America's super soldier serum and give him an adamantium skeleton like Wolverine will he cease to be a s*** football player? Because im happy to support that

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
WellardSaint wrote:The club seems to have a habit of persisting with less-than-effective forwards and giving them too many games.

I like many others used to yell out pathetic Faletic but it maybe one of the biggests myths ever at this club. I had a look at his stats recently and people on here would bedoing cart wheels if a new player came into our side and had the impact he had on the stats sheet. Yes he was a much older player than most recruits but it seems he was harshly treated by the club and the supporters.

So you were always an A hole? Anyway it seems pretty old school that kind of thing. I noticed at the JO training that there were a few oldies near us abusing the team and one guy who looked about 90 kept yelling insults at Jason Holmes -getting irate and yelling non sensical instructions that I didn't understand and then calling him an idiot when he didn't do what ever it was. I think that must have been how it was in the old days. He was actually very good but obviously he wasn't getting his place kicks or drop kicks and his knickerbockers were too short.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

I agree with Con on Lynch. He would be so so much better than Maister. At least he knows how to mark and kick a goal.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Tom Lynch is currently injured... He was injured in 2012 also.... He also went Adelaide with just 6 games experience (in 3 years at stk), was never going to be an overnight success there?

Tom Lynch is only 23yo ATM

Last year he played 17 games, 15ppg, 33 goals, 31 tackles...
Not bad numbers for a hit up fwd
He's a clever player

Newnes (I think we got for Tom, or Jimmy) will be better... But again we didn't know what we were going to get with pick?

Possibly the big issue was his selection in the first place....
Tom was a massive bolter in the draft, he was not expected to go anywhere near as high, but the whisper was StKilda in their search for a medium fwd liked him.

Overlooked Jack Trengove who was a highly rated key defender in that draft who headed to Port and has won a B&F and is now vice captain?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Tom Lynch is currently injured... He was injured in 2012 also.... He also went Adelaide with just 6 games experience (in 3 years at stk), was never going to be an overnight success there?

Tom Lynch is only 23yo ATM

Last year he played 17 games, 15ppg, 33 goals, 31 tackles...
Not bad numbers for a hit up fwd
He's a clever player

Newnes (I think we got for Tom, or Jimmy) will be better... But again we didn't know what we were going to get with pick?

Possibly the big issue was his selection in the first place....
Tom was a massive bolter in the draft, he was not expected to go anywhere near as high, but the whisper was StKilda in their search for a medium fwd liked him.

Overlooked Jack Trengove who was a highly rated key defender in that draft who headed to Port and has won a B&F and is now vice captain?