Kiwis not buying in

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

creepypolar
Club Player

Kiwis not buying in

I'd heard whispers that the sales for the NZ clash was below expectations. today's article on the herald sun website confirms this...Not good.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Kiwis not buying in

Battle of two bottom sides. I can see why they are not too excited.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

this one
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/t ... 6888470402

it could be more that the Lions supporters are not buying in- heard they have done very little toward promoting the event, and given their position and current form not expected to take a trip overseas
Listening to NZ radio this morning they mentioned that sales were a couple of thousand down-- but general sport attendance is down at Westpac stadium-- the only venue that sells out is the netball--

Maybe we should plan a country style Football/netball fixture and find a Victorian netball team tot ake with us.

The Lions current form gives us hope of winning though and that should work in our favour for the future.

interesting space filling article- tone of the mention of Nettlefold si demeaning of his continuing interest and work on yes a preject he started.. but the article finishes with a sexist link - I'm as hapy watching our team runout- don't need semi clad dancers who don't follow the team-- giving young kids a chance to be on the field with the team- our flag wavers- gets future fans,,
Last edited by saintbrat on Fri 18 Apr 2014 2:57pm, edited 1 time in total.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

creepypolar wrote:I'd heard whispers that the sales for the NZ clash was below expectations. today's article on the herald sun website confirms this...Not good.

it's a long term thing not a short term both saints and hawks didn't have great crowds in Tassie for the first few years and we ran away, hawks stayed and the crowds became good. We need to give it a few years.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Gee, news of Savage's dropping to the VFL seems to have crossed the Tasman quickly :P

Moorabbin Man
Club Player

Good I'm delighted, hope we can dispense with this stupid initiative and remaining legacy of the previous Board's desperate stupidity. Regional Victoria would be a better option.

stevie
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:Gee, news of Savage's dropping to the VFL seems to have crossed the Tasman quickly :P
If we take Sandy over for the curtain raiser, then the crowds will turn up to watch the 'local lad'!

derby Street
Club Player

Moorabbin Man wrote:Good I'm delighted, hope we can dispense with this stupid initiative and remaining legacy of the previous Board's desperate stupidity. Regional Victoria would be a better option.
Do you really think regional Victoria would give us a better financial return :shock: Also please tell us where it would be played and what oval would measure up to AFL requirements / specs ? You have NFI.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

stevie wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:Gee, news of Savage's dropping to the VFL seems to have crossed the Tasman quickly :P
If we take Sandy over for the curtain raiser, then the crowds will turn up to watch the 'local lad'!
Local lad ( possibly X 2) is already going and playing in the Curtain Raiser.
http://www.saints.com.au/news/2014-04-1 ... -schedule-

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I have said since day dot the Kiwis would never buy in.
As someone who has lived in that country for a year - I have a strong held belief they will never ever give two hoots about the AFL. It couldn't be further removed from their culture and where they stand in general life. If anything they will be outright hostile to it. The idea of the 'big cousin from across the ditch' imposing a foreign game on them does not fit well with their psyche of independence. It goes against their entire essence, being and self opinion. They will reject it just on principle alone. Nothing to do with how good the actual game is or who the actual teams are. It goes much deeper into what it means to them to be a kiwi.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

:D :D

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:I have said since day dot the Kiwis would never buy in.
As someone who has lived in that country for a year - I have a strong held belief they will never ever give two hoots about the AFL. It couldn't be further removed from their culture and where they stand in general life. If anything they will be outright hostile to it. The idea of the 'big cousin from across the ditch' imposing a foreign game on them does not fit well with their psyche of independence. It goes against their entire essence, being and self opinion. They will reject it just on principle alone. Nothing to do with how good the actual game is or who the actual teams are. It goes much deeper into what it means to them to be a kiwi.
They seem to be happy to buy and drive Big Cuz's Commodores and Falcons :wink:

derby Street
Club Player

Dr Spaceman wrote:
They seem to be happy to buy and drive Big Cuz's Commodores and Falcons :wink:
:D :D :D Seem to be very happy see all those Big Cuz tourists as well - in fact pleading for them to come back after the earthquakes.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

And they seem fond of crossing the ditch and living here too. Remember that they converted to league in reasonable numbers after the NRL set up a local side (yes, I know you could argue that League and Rugby are related, but then you could argue that aussie rules is a s well).

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
spert
Saintsational Legend

derby Street wrote:
Moorabbin Man wrote:Good I'm delighted, hope we can dispense with this stupid initiative and remaining legacy of the previous Board's desperate stupidity. Regional Victoria would be a better option.
Do you really think regional Victoria would give us a better financial return :shock: Also please tell us where it would be played and what oval would measure up to AFL requirements / specs ? You have NFI.
I remember kicking a footy around at the Mt Beauty footy ground- might be a good ground..great scenery

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Look let's take the Kiwi dollar that is guaranteed for however long it lasts.

Really disappointing to read Nettlefold is still involved. Consultant rates can be pretty steep. Hopefully once Finnis gets into the swing he'll quickly disappear

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:And they seem fond of crossing the ditch and living here too. Remember that they converted to league in reasonable numbers after the NRL set up a local side (yes, I know you could argue that League and Rugby are related, but then you could argue that aussie rules is a s well).
I am referring to kiwis who live permanently in kiwi land - not the ones who live here permanently. There is a quite a divide there as well.

Also the difference between AFL and NRL cannot be understated. The rugby culture can encompass NRL - especially because League is popular with the Pacific Islanders in NZ - Tongans, Samoans etc. Both large populations over there (and in QLD).

Getting kiwis who live in kiwi land over to AFL - to me - is mission impossible.

(Of course the ones actually living here are easier to convert because of course naturally they want to fit into the dominant culture).

Just my opinion.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Of course they don't mind our money. And the ones who live here obviously embrace our cultural artefacts more (many have been here for decades) and of course they want us to travel as tourists. This is entirely different to kiwis living in kiwi land embracing one of our cultural artefacts. That is the difference here. This is not about trade or economics but CULTURE. Which is why I am saying they will strongly resist it. It is also why NZ cannot be compared to Tassie. Noone ever had to win over Tassie on the cultural war. They are already rabid for it. It was just getting behind the individual clubs that was/is an issue there. This is worlds removed from what it means to someone to adopt a 'foreign culture code'. People need to understand for them - it is almost an act of treason or treachery. This is deep in their souls.

Hey maybe Ill be wrong and they'll all become rabid Sainters - but i wouldn't be banking on it.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

On top of that - assuming nz is 'just another tassie' would be grossly offensive to a kiwi and is both arrogant and ignorant.

Tassie is a state of the commonwealth and has been since federation in 1901. NZ entirely independent country with its own separate history. Rubbish comparison.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Can't believe they're not obsessed after one game.

Delist.

St Lenny
Club Player

I am just wondering if any of the knockers here actually went to the game in NZ last year. I did and people seemed to embrace it from what I could see. Strangers stopping us in the street, telling us how excited they were about the whole concept. Shops, restaurants decked out in Saints colours. Special events. Give it time, a win would make a hugh difference. And living in Qld, I can assure you the Lions supporters have jumped off the band wagon. Just might have something to do with it.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

What are talking about Con, there aren't too many New Zealanders over there now anyway, most of them are over here... :lol:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote:
What are talking about Con, there aren't too many New Zealanders over there now anyway, most of them are over here... :lol:
Thats true!
Although apparently some are going back - so maybe those people will take their new found AFL-ness back with them

wally
Club Player

I moved from from Melb. to Bris. in 1986 and AFL results didn't make the evening news.It was all rugby league and rugby union abit back
in second. Kiwi's are passionate rugby union and rugby league and follow national sides and love beating aussie's. I don't know if they are
"sports mad" as Melb. seem to be.I'd be surprised if it gets good solid support,but ST.K F C might make more money than playing at Etihad.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

wally wrote:I moved from from Melb. to Bris. in 1986 and AFL results didn't make the evening news.It was all rugby league and rugby union abit back
in second. Kiwi's are passionate rugby union and rugby league and follow national sides and love beating aussie's. I don't know if they are
"sports mad" as Melb. seem to be.I'd be surprised if it gets good solid support,but ST.K F C might make more money than playing at Etihad.
last years balance sheet gate / game receipts
1/3 NZ game
1/3 2 games at 2
1/3 8 games at Etihad

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY