Kiwis not buying in

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

wally
Club Player

Re: Kiwis not buying in

Wow,I was out by a mile there.
Just curious though, is that from bums on seats or because of incentives,subsidies and lower costs?

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:
wally wrote:I moved from from Melb. to Bris. in 1986 and AFL results didn't make the evening news.It was all rugby league and rugby union abit back
in second. Kiwi's are passionate rugby union and rugby league and follow national sides and love beating aussie's. I don't know if they are
"sports mad" as Melb. seem to be.I'd be surprised if it gets good solid support,but ST.K F C might make more money than playing at Etihad.
last years balance sheet gate / game receipts
1/3 NZ game
1/3 2 games at 2
1/3 8 games at Etihad
apologies was written late-

should have read 2 game at the MCG for 1/3 gains

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Schillaci
Club Player

I was going to Moorabin as a 5 year old and went to just about every game we played in Victoria until I moved to Auckland in 1995 some 20 years later.
Since that time I have continued to live in New Zealand...approaching 19 years...and have followed the Saints daily through websites, internet radio, AFL games, international highlight shows televised here and Sky/Fox News programmes.
Con hit the nail on the head with his comments about your everyday born and bred New Zealander who couldn't give a toss. They don't. It is a rugby culture and always will be. When I go to the pub, the 19th hole, the staffroom, a BBQ all that spoken about is rugby or rugby league.
I went to Wellington last year and the game was great because of those who travelled over from Melbourne and Sydney. Walking around Wellington was great... seeing people wearing their clubs colours on the streets was fantastic. Wellingtonians couldn't miss it... but in terms of the locals and greater population getting on board I can't ever see it happening. Most Kiwi blokes don't even like cricket!
The game has been heavily advertised on Sommet Sports TV channel which has been created in the past year by a group of entrepreneurs who saw a niche market for the coverage of sports outside the popular domain such as AFL, German football, skiing, extreme sports, surfing and superbikes.
The only other AFL advertising being done on TV here (besides the Saints game promotion) is by the Gold Coast Suns who are promoting packages to the Gold Coast. This is also done on Sommet Sports TV.
I'll be going to the game with the Mrs and boy...yet to get tickets but imagine there will be plenty at the gate.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

i thiknk they buy cars from australia because they never really had a car manufacturing industry over there
so not much choice on choice

wouldnt surprise me if in a year or 3 the project is dropped
kiwis are exactly afl fanatics

citywest

All you doom sayers should just shut up. This is a long term project that will eventually bear fruit. You can't expect to have 100,000 people jump on board after just 1 game. We need to be patient and be in it for the long haul. One game a year for the next 5 years is ok for now but I firmly believe that we need to eventually play at least 2 games there per year (and 1 pre-season game as well). I am very confident that after 10 years we could have 10,000 Kiwi members signed up.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:All you doom sayers should just shut up. This is a long term project that will eventually bear fruit. You can't expect to have 100,000 people jump on board after just 1 game. We need to be patient and be in it for the long haul. One game a year for the next 5 years is ok for now but I firmly believe that we need to eventually play at least 2 games there per year (and 1 pre-season game as well). I am very confident that after 10 years we could have 10,000 Kiwi members signed up.

Im surprised you dont want 4 games a year there. Your head must nearly be exploding after last night.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

wally wrote:Wow,I was out by a mile there.
Just curious though, is that from bums on seats or because of incentives,subsidies and lower costs?
AFL are bankrolling it.
Definitely not from actual paying bums on seats.
AFL have set a 'minimum payment' for us - essentially as payback for our BS etihad deal.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
samuraisaint wrote:And they seem fond of crossing the ditch and living here too. Remember that they converted to league in reasonable numbers after the NRL set up a local side (yes, I know you could argue that League and Rugby are related, but then you could argue that aussie rules is a s well).
I am referring to kiwis who live permanently in kiwi land - not the ones who live here permanently. There is a quite a divide there as well.

Also the difference between AFL and NRL cannot be understated. The rugby culture can encompass NRL - especially because League is popular with the Pacific Islanders in NZ - Tongans, Samoans etc. Both large populations over there (and in QLD).

Getting kiwis who live in kiwi land over to AFL - to me - is mission impossible.

(Of course the ones actually living here are easier to convert because of course naturally they want to fit into the dominant culture).

Just my opinion.
Queenslanders are Union (rugby) Con. League is a different sport with different rules. In a way you are backing up my very comments here.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Schillaci wrote:I was going to Moorabin as a 5 year old and went to just about every game we played in Victoria until I moved to Auckland in 1995 some 20 years later.
Since that time I have continued to live in New Zealand...approaching 19 years...and have followed the Saints daily through websites, internet radio, AFL games, international highlight shows televised here and Sky/Fox News programmes.
Con hit the nail on the head with his comments about your everyday born and bred New Zealander who couldn't give a toss. They don't. It is a rugby culture and always will be. When I go to the pub, the 19th hole, the staffroom, a BBQ all that spoken about is rugby or rugby league.
I went to Wellington last year and the game was great because of those who travelled over from Melbourne and Sydney. Walking around Wellington was great... seeing people wearing their clubs colours on the streets was fantastic. Wellingtonians couldn't miss it... but in terms of the locals and greater population getting on board I can't ever see it happening. Most Kiwi blokes don't even like cricket!
The game has been heavily advertised on Sommet Sports TV channel which has been created in the past year by a group of entrepreneurs who saw a niche market for the coverage of sports outside the popular domain such as AFL, German football, skiing, extreme sports, surfing and superbikes.
The only other AFL advertising being done on TV here (besides the Saints game promotion) is by the Gold Coast Suns who are promoting packages to the Gold Coast. This is also done on Sommet Sports TV.
I'll be going to the game with the Mrs and boy...yet to get tickets but imagine there will be plenty at the gate.
Enjoy the match Schillaci. Hope your son enjoys it and barracks for the Saints. I lived in Japan for years and the Japanese thought that Aussie Rules was Rugby and this despite the fact that NEC sponsored us during some of those years. Mind you my sons are now rabid Sainters as are my nephews and neice. My wife is too.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:i thiknk they buy cars from australia because they never really had a car manufacturing industry over there
so not much choice on choice

wouldnt surprise me if in a year or 3 the project is dropped
kiwis are exactly afl fanatics
no chance. A new market = $!

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
samuraisaint wrote:And they seem fond of crossing the ditch and living here too. Remember that they converted to league in reasonable numbers after the NRL set up a local side (yes, I know you could argue that League and Rugby are related, but then you could argue that aussie rules is a s well).
I am referring to kiwis who live permanently in kiwi land - not the ones who live here permanently. There is a quite a divide there as well.

Also the difference between AFL and NRL cannot be understated. The rugby culture can encompass NRL - especially because League is popular with the Pacific Islanders in NZ - Tongans, Samoans etc. Both large populations over there (and in QLD).

Getting kiwis who live in kiwi land over to AFL - to me - is mission impossible.

(Of course the ones actually living here are easier to convert because of course naturally they want to fit into the dominant culture).

Just my opinion.
Queenslanders are Union (rugby) Con. League is a different sport with different rules. In a way you are backing up my very comments here.
What you talking about Willis?
I have also lived in Brisbane.
Have you heard of the Broncos or the Cowboys? State of Origin? Billy Slater? Mal Meninga? Wally Lewis? Jonathan Thurston?
League = massive in QLD.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Kiwis didn't 'convert' to League on the back of the Warriors. I also don't think the Warriors are even that popular anyway. But there are a few kiwi/islanders who live here who probably go to Warriors games.

League has been popular in the Pacific Islands for decades. Way more popular than the AFL - and many Pacific Islanders now live in NZ - these people are big League fans. e.g I was in PNG last year and League was very popular - much more popular than the AFL. Same goes in Samoa/Tonga/Solomons and many of those people live in NZ.

Think of it as an American kid coming here with a bible, a bike and an ironed white shirt trying to convert us. Cos for kiwis thats how they view aussie rules - with a deep suspicion. It is a total foreign culture for them. They will not be easy converts. Unless you lived there u probably don't realise how much antipathy there is towards aussie culture. Its not a 'friendly brother' thing like we assume - more a pissed off cousin. They certainly aren't 'just like tassie'.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Kiwis didn't 'convert' to League on the back of the Warriors. I also don't think the Warriors are even that popular anyway. But there are a few kiwi/islanders who live here who probably go to Warriors games.

League has been popular in the Pacific Islands for decades. Way more popular than the AFL - and many Pacific Islanders now live in NZ - these people are big League fans. e.g I was in PNG last year and League was very popular - much more popular than the AFL. Same goes in Samoa/Tonga/Solomons and many of those people live in NZ.

Think of it as an American kid coming here with a bible, a bike and an ironed white shirt trying to convert us. Cos for kiwis thats how they view aussie rules - with a deep suspicion. It is a total foreign culture for them. They will not be easy converts. Unless you lived there u probably don't realise how much antipathy there is towards aussie culture. Its not a 'friendly brother' thing like we assume - more a pissed off cousin. They certainly aren't 'just like tassie'.
Fair point Con and it is good to be realistic but we're not trying to convert the majority to AFL/Saints.

We just need 10,000 or so for it to work.

Still, it will be a big ask.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Just my opinion.[/quote]

Queenslanders are Union (rugby) Con. League is a different sport with different rules. In a way you are backing up my very comments here.[/quote]

What you talking about Willis?
I have also lived in Brisbane.
Have you heard of the Broncos or the Cowboys? State of Origin? Billy Slater? Mal Meninga? Wally Lewis? Jonathan Thurston?
League = massive in QLD.[/quote]
and how did it get that way?
Look, I agree with what you are saying in principle. But I think the endgame is the promotion of the game to people who would never see it otherwise. At the end of the day if this experiment benefits us and makes us more successful, I am all for it. if it means we get a few free kicks, like the Swans and the Lions have got, count me in - especially if it means that we get to see a couple of premierships While being based in Melbourne.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote: and how did it get that way?
Look, I agree with what you are saying in principle. But I think the endgame is the promotion of the game to people who would never see it otherwise. At the end of the day if this experiment benefits us and makes us more successful, I am all for it. if it means we get a few free kicks, like the Swans and the Lions have got, count me in - especially if it means that we get to see a couple of premierships While being based in Melbourne.
I am in favour of the idea as a whole too.
Im just trying to say we shouldn't expect an avalanche of local conversions. Thats pretty much all I'm saying. I think some people think once these heathens see the light they will all dump their current religion (all blacks) and follow ours (sainters) . I'm just saying its bloody hard grained in to these godless folk :D :D

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

can I take a crate of long necks to the game ?

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
samuraisaint wrote: and how did it get that way?
I am in favour of the idea as a whole too.
Im just trying to say we shouldn't expect an avalanche of local conversions. Thats pretty much all I'm saying. I think some people think once these heathens see the light they will all dump their current religion (all blacks) and follow ours (sainters) . I'm just saying its bloody hard grained in to these godless folk :D :D
+1

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:can I take a crate of long necks to the game ?
That'd be choice Jake the Muss. :)

stevie
Saintsational Legend

There's a Kiwi takeaway called The Hangi Pit near my place. Great burgers there.

They recently opened a new shop in Springwood in Brissie sth. It's run by 3 Maori ladies. Ex pat Kiwis come from the other end of the GC to buy tucker at the shop near my place. Hard case, bro...

I should go in and try and convert them lol

Schillaci
Club Player

samuraisaint wrote:
Schillaci wrote:I was going to Moorabin as a 5 year old and went to just about every game we played in Victoria until I moved to Auckland in 1995 some 20 years later.
Enjoy the match Schillaci. Hope your son enjoys it and barracks for the Saints. I lived in Japan for years and the Japanese thought that Aussie Rules was Rugby and this despite the fact that NEC sponsored us during some of those years. Mind you my sons are now rabid Sainters as are my nephews and neice. My wife is too.
Thanks. He'll be supporting the Saints but hasn't really got my sport loving gene...more of a gamer. Wife puts up with my AFL, supports Saints for my sake but really couldn't care less either. Aussie Rules is sometimes joked to me as Aerial Ping Pong here by the locals...I tell them it's a lot better than their unskilled game of puff and grunt.
Con Gorozidis wrote:Kiwis didn't 'convert' to League on the back of the Warriors. I also don't think the Warriors are even that popular anyway. But there are a few kiwi/islanders who live here who probably go to Warriors games.

Agree with you Con except the pissed off cousin part... They are a friendly bunch who sometimes exhibit an inferiority complex due to sporting results and show this through we support NZ and anyone playing Australia. The All Blacks are everything that matters and so long as they win all is good in the world.

QuestionOfAccuracy
Club Player

Isn't the point that, this is a big venture and for us to really make the most of it, we will need to pour resources into marketing it properly and most importantly, grow it over a number of years.

You can't expect to waltz into a Rugby-mad country and expect to convert everyone after two games in two years. It's going to take time. I don't think the Hawks made their Tasmania venture a success over night.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

QuestionOfAccuracy wrote:Isn't the point that, this is a big venture and for us to really make the most of it, we will need to pour resources into marketing it properly and most importantly, grow it over a number of years.

You can't expect to waltz into a Rugby-mad country and expect to convert everyone after two games in two years. It's going to take time. I don't think the Hawks made their Tasmania venture a success over night.
I think I'm trying to say comparing NZ to Tassie is a long long way off reality. It isn't like the hawks in tassie - not even close.

I still like the idea - great novelty and marketing and I look fwd to getting over there for a game in the next year or two - Wellington is a great town (and I still have some mermaids dollars) but I'm very sceptical any actual members will come out of it - ever.

citywest

plugger66 wrote:
citywest wrote:All you doom sayers should just shut up. This is a long term project that will eventually bear fruit. You can't expect to have 100,000 people jump on board after just 1 game. We need to be patient and be in it for the long haul. One game a year for the next 5 years is ok for now but I firmly believe that we need to eventually play at least 2 games there per year (and 1 pre-season game as well). I am very confident that after 10 years we could have 10,000 Kiwi members signed up.

Im surprised you dont want 4 games a year there. Your head must nearly be exploding after last night.
Funny you should mention that. I firmly believe that we should/will eventually play 4 games per year in NZ. I believe the current contract expires in 4 years time. That is when we should increase to 2 games per year, 1 in Wellington and 1 in Christchurch. Then maybe after that contract expires we could look at playing 2 games in each city. I see no reason why we couldn't have 10,000 Kiwi based members by then. The flow on effect would be awesome for our club. I'm not sure how many NZ'ers migrate over to Aus each year but imagine if all of the ones that did automatically barracked for St Kilda!!!???? Also, when you factor in that we will relocate back to St Kilda, plus our young and emerging list, the next 10 years are looking very bright indeed.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Funny you should mention that. I firmly believe that we should/will eventually play 4 games per year in NZ. I believe the current contract expires in 4 years time. That is when we should increase to 2 games per year, 1 in Wellington and 1 in Christchurch. Then maybe after that contract expires we could look at playing 2 games in each city. I see no reason why we couldn't have 10,000 Kiwi based members by then. The flow on effect would be awesome for our club. I'm not sure how many NZ'ers migrate over to Aus each year but imagine if all of the ones that did automatically barracked for St Kilda!!!???? Also, when you factor in that we will relocate back to St Kilda, plus our young and emerging list, the next 10 years are looking very bright indeed.

I dont think there is a suitable ground at the other venue. Hopefully we have enough money in the future that we can forget about this silly idea of playing in a place who has little or no interest in the AFL. Did you head explode after the loss on Saturday night?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Schillaci wrote: Agree with you Con except the pissed off cousin part... They are a friendly bunch who sometimes exhibit an inferiority complex due to sporting results and show this through we support NZ and anyone playing Australia. The All Blacks are everything that matters and so long as they win all is good in the world.
I meant 'pissed off cousin' when it comes to sport - not general life. Agree in general life they are a friendly bunch.

But they couldn't give a hoot about the afl, still go on about the under-arm from time to time and simply don't believe you when u tell them u aren't really that fussed about the wallabies.