McEvoy Subbed Out of Today's Game

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Re: McEvoy Subbed Out of Today's Game

Moorabbin Man wrote:Always an act of insanity to invest such a high pick in a ruckman,
Insane to use a high pick on a ruckman?

kruezer goes ok when not injured
Nic Nat
Luenberger
Macintosh
Hale

all top 10 picks and that was just quick look

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:Simply because he was crap. Took one good pack mark, but had no influence on the game. My Hawks supporting mate sounds as disappointed with McEvoy as we are with Savage. Call it a nil all draw and move on. :lol:

cough cough Dunston I'd win for us

and acres looks good as well

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Moorabbin Man wrote:invest such a high pick in a ruckman,.

further looking if a ruckman taken with a top 10 pick is a lot more likely to succeed than a midfielder is

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Moorabbin Man wrote:Sorry, but typical. He got smashed at centre bounces which is somewhat typical. Well done to Chris Pelchen for his shrewdness and guts. History we'll see us as having reamed Hawthorn on this deal. We took Ben Evoy with 7 in the 2007 draft. Always an act of insanity to invest such a high pick in a ruckman, particularly when we could have used it on: Patrick Dangerfield; Cyril Rioli or Callan Ward all would have been significantly better picks. May have even cost us a flag. Having traded him for Dunstan, Acres and Savage has gone some way to fixing that mistake.
Most likely that selection did cost us two flags. (Providing that we'd taken Junior Boy, as though I'd rate the less injury-prone Dangerfield as better overall, Paddy wasn't ready to impact in 2009/10... just as the Dud and Armo' weren't.)

However, at the time we needed a ruckman, and the Ben selection was with a longer term view. Just like if we'd taken Fyfe c/f we-know-whom... but throughout the history of the game every club will have similar stories. Nothing we (nor the other clubs) can do about it now, just try and make as many as possible of our selections going forward... 'stick'.

And, so far, so good, on that front. :D (Of course, always helps having the Dreamons, and to some extent Carlscum and the Tuggers, weeding out the duds with their picks before us. :lol: :lol: :lol: )

As I posted at the time, couldn't believe (and still can't) what the Pelican was able to get for Ben(!) :shock: He cashed that chip whilst we still could. By the end of this season everyone else would have worked out what we had worked out re Ben. IMHO, if Ben was to pick up his form, it wasn't looking like it would be with us. Early daze, but not looking like it'll be with the Skid Marks either.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

McEvoy is NOT crap.
Savage is NOT crap.
Dunstan is showing potential and poise.
Acres apparently going OK at Sandy.

Neither club should feel dudded. Only ones who feel a bit dudded are the supposed commentators on SEN calling the trade ludicrious and others saying cubs were laughing at us.

Dont know if they are laughing now or taking notice of what may be a super trade for both clubs

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

3 players for 1......Dunstan excellent and the others are chances to be very good.

Happy with this trade.

Nee!
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

fugazi wrote:3 players for 1......Dunstan excellent and the others are chances to be very good.

Happy with this trade.
3 for 2 or 3 for 3 if you want to count their rookie upgrade as a player.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
creepypolar
Club Player

8856brother wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I will stop posting for an hour.
You couldn't possibly last that long. Pick something more realistic.
[/quote]

That's what she said! :lol:

I'm sorry I just could not let that pass

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

clarky449 wrote:If he was still a Saints player, im sure most of you would be saying different stuff..
I'm not going to bag him, especially as it seems he would have been happy to remain a Saint. I always rated him and still think the deal that was made will turn out to be win/win.

Milne
Club Player

Moods wrote:Simply because he was crap. Took one good pack mark, but had no influence on the game. My Hawks supporting mate sounds as disappointed with McEvoy as we are with Savage. Call it a nil all draw and move on. :lol:
Except we got one very good draft pick :D

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Milne wrote:
Plus, some of us knew Big mac was crap before most would agree, the gap is narrowing..

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Milne
Club Player

Wayne42 wrote:
Milne wrote:
Plus, some of us knew Big mac was crap before most would agree, the gap is narrowing..
He is not crap, but he is overrated.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Milne wrote:
Wayne42 wrote:
Milne wrote:
He is not crap, but he is overrated.
If he is overrated then he must must be crap

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Just remind me?

Was he returning from a calf... Isn't a tall normally subbed? The have Hale and Roughie

Rucked against a 209cm Monster and a former AA 203cm gun

Not many will beat those two.. Massive men... Simpson is enormous

I though he contest well in the air fwd and gave a physical contest around the ground

Sobraz
SS Life Member

BigMart wrote: I though he contest well in the air fwd and gave a physical contest around the ground
Not here to pick on Mac as I think he's a quality player and wish him well, but I'd imagine that if Hickey played the same game as Mac did yesterday you'd be using your 'gumby' catch-cry pretty regularly.

It was a poor game by his standards, no way around that. Hickey has shown more than enough to justify Pelchin's call.. As it stands now I'd much rather have our current set up than have stuck with Mac. Thats why Pelchin is in the position his is and I read fan forums..

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:
BigMart wrote: I though he contest well in the air fwd and gave a physical contest around the ground
Not here to pick on Mac as I think he's a quality player and wish him well, but I'd imagine that if Hickey played the same game as Mac did yesterday you'd be using your 'gumby' catch-cry pretty regularly.

It was a poor game by his standards, no way around that. Hickey has shown more than enough to justify Pelchin's call.. As it stands now I'd much rather have our current set up than have stuck with Mac. Thats why Pelchin is in the position his is and I read fan forums..
Well put Sobraz.

SideshowMilne
Club Player

yep great post Sobraz, all true.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Giving the Hawks first use of the ball early:

dragit
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:Giving the Hawks first use of the ball early:
That's unfair cause geelongs ruckmen are really tall and/or good.

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

joffaboy wrote:McEvoy is NOT crap.
Savage is NOT crap.

Neither club should feel dudded. Only ones who feel a bit dudded are the supposed commentators on SEN calling the trade ludicrious and others saying cubs were laughing at us.

Dont know if they are laughing now or taking notice of what may be a super trade for both clubs
Couldn't agree more. You have to give something to get something. Hawks gave up a bit with an eye on their flag chances in the next year or two. Saints gave up a bit with their eye on the future.
I think both clubs achieved what they wanted out of it. If the Hawks make the GF this year and the Saints are in the finals in three years they'll both have achieved what they wanted.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

remboy wrote:
Savage is NOT crap.

Couldn't agree more. You have to give something to get something. Hawks gave up a bit with an eye on their flag chances in the next year or two. Saints gave up a bit with their eye on the future.
I think both clubs achieved what they wanted out of it. If the Hawks make the GF this year and the Saints are in the finals in three years they'll both have achieved what they wanted.
And if SEN can achieve ratings of more than about 2% then there'll probably be 3 happy parties :P

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Just remind me?

Was he returning from a calf... Isn't a tall normally subbed? The have Hale and Roughie

Rucked against a 209cm Monster and a former AA 203cm gun

Not many will beat those two.. Massive men... Simpson is enormous

I though he contest well in the air fwd and gave a physical contest around the ground
Just remind me.

You weren't happy with what we got for McEvoy because we should get more for a number 9 draft pick.

Now you are quite comfortable with him being beaten by a number 34 draft pick.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

It is the Clinton Jones effect.

Tries hard, runs around a fair bit but does not actually do too much well

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Savage is NOT crap.

Hold on a second, lets not get carried away - Right now Savage is a reserves player for us.

Dunstan has been unbelievably good, but lets be realistic with Savage. Hasn't impressed all that much and should have been a senior player right from the start.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
Savage is NOT crap.

Hold on a second, lets not get carried away - Right now Savage is a reserves player for us.

Dunstan has been unbelievably good, but lets be realistic with Savage. Hasn't impressed all that much and should have been a senior player right from the start.
I wonder if that is how the recruiters that brokered the McEvoy deal approached the trade. Were the high draft picks the main attraction and an extra player being thrown in viewed as the sweetener and not the other way around. Savage was a fringe player and had hardly established himself in the Hawks team so I doubt we thought McEvoy for Savage was the cornerstone of the trade. I suppose what I'm saying is, either way you look at it I hope our supporters appreciate that the trade deal is starting to look like it was a good one and that it is worth going easy on Savage while he tries to prove himself.