Contract time - 2014

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Re: Contract time - 2014

Con Gorozidis wrote:
falka wrote:And it's exactly the discussion happening at the club each week too. Careers will be ended and salvaged with each contest and each game. Harder to predict then most years

spot on - pelchen and bains are probably running all sorts of list scenarios in their heads on a daily basis.

True - will be of interest to see what of the above list comes to fruition.

I wouldn't have a clue, but kudo's for giving it a go.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Its also a timely reminder how tough and cut throat AFL footy is.

Sure we gets some fairytale stories of a Barlow coming in late and being a star - but these a small %. The majority have short careers that are snuffed out at a young age.

Thomas Hobbes could have been referring to the life of an AFL footballer when he said 'the life of man... is ..., solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short'

Not many go on to have Buddy Franklin careers.

Something like 2% to 200 I think.

Career average in the AFL - 3 seasons on a list.

Pretty cutthroat and pretty devestating when a young man is delisted.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:St Kilda players whose contracts expire in 2014

Sam Fisher - retiring 2014
James Gwilt - controversial
Jarryn Geary - certain to get extension
Sean Dempster - Expect extension through 2015
Tom Lee - Might have another year left already - not sure?
Trent Dennis-Lane - in trouble
Sam Dunell - in trouble (playing well at sandy and giving himself every chance)
Nathan Wright - extension a certainty
Spencer White - in trouble
Brodie Murdoch - in trouble (extension likely as going well at sandy)
Josh Saunders - extension a certainty
Lewis Pierce - extension likely
Daniel Markworth - should get until 2015 before decision is made
Beau Maister - controversial this one! (gone)
Lenny Hayes - retiring 2014
Clint Jones - controversial/but looking like he will get an extra year (50/50 still)
Adam Schneider - controversial /depends on body

Rookies
Shenton - On current form will be offered a contract (upgraded)
Minchington - in trouble (playing better now - still a chance to make it)
Quick re look at this post a month down the track with updated comments in brackets.

supersaints
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:Its also a timely reminder how tough and cut throat AFL footy is.

Sure we gets some fairytale stories of a Barlow coming in late and being a star - but these a small %. The majority have short careers that are snuffed out at a young age.

Thomas Hobbes could have been referring to the life of an AFL footballer when he said 'the life of man... is ..., solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short'

I've posted before
I did email the club about Barlow when he was playing at Werribee and recommended the send a talent scout down to check him out. Never got a reply so they either saw him and said no , or didn't bother driving down the highway.
Barlow was a ready made AFL player at Werribee.
Not suggesting the club should take any notice of me, or any other Saints supporter or that I'm some sort of smart arse, just that he really stood out, and I would have loved to have seen him get a shot in the Red, White & Black.

Also I think Dunnell will be picked up by the Bummers if we don't give him a go, so Id like to see him get a chance this year

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
lloyd21
Club Player

Sam Fisher - gone
James Gwilt - gone
Tom Lee - Might have another year
Trent Dennis-Lane - gone
Sam Dunell - gone
Spencer White - more time
Brodie Murdoch - more time
Beau Maister - gone
Lenny Hayes - gone
Clint Jones - gone

Rookies
Shenton - On current form will be offered a 1 year contract
Minchington - gone
Milera. ...traded back to south Australia club or delisted
Will upgrade Templeton & Weller.

PJ
SS Life Member

Does the Beaumeister have a contract for 2015?

Reckon its about time to make a call on him - I know we don't have many forward options but seriously not working out at the present and I'd be surprised if we see him back in saints colours (barring injuries) this year.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

I reckon Lenny could easily play on. His last five games have been 22, 24, 32, 34, 24 disposals; 6, 8, 5, 8, 9 tackles; more than 10 contested possessions each time. He didn't have 30 at all last year but he's hit it twice already this year. He'd be top ten, probably top five in the B&F. (Riewoldt, Montagna, Ray, Dunstan, Dempster the others in contention?)

I'd love to see him get to 300 games, which can't happen this year. And I think his leadership is irreplaceable. If he's got any inclination at all to stay on then I hope Richo gives it everything to convince him.

falka
Club Player

lloyd21 wrote:Sam Fisher - gone
James Gwilt - gone
Trent Dennis-Lane - gone
Sam Dunell - gone
Beau Maister - gone
Lenny Hayes - gone
Clint Jones - gone

Rookies
Minchington - gone
Milera. ...traded back to south Australia club or delisted
That is too many off in one go, if we don't take or lose a player to FA and we have no one of trade value, then I think we will make 7 changes to main list, upgrade 2-3 and use 4 picks max at National Draft.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

James Gwilt - gone
Trent Dennis-Lane - gone
Sam Dunell - HAS THE SEASON TO PROVE HIMSELF
Beau Maister - gone
Lenny Hayes - gone
Clint Jones - gone

Rookies
Minchington - gone
Milera. ...HAS THE SEASON TO PROVE HIMSELF
Edited for accuracy

defacto
Club Player

i always find peoples expectations funny.

can someone tell me why lewis pierce is listed as "extension likely" yet white is listed as in trouble?

can someone tell me why siposs receives so much criticism but lewis pierce attracts nearly none and has very little expectation placed on him?

btw i am in no way a lewis hater, i think he's been a good pick up and has some serious potential

70s sainter
Club Player

bergholt wrote:I reckon Lenny could easily play on. His last five games have been 22, 24, 32, 34, 24 disposals; 6, 8, 5, 8, 9 tackles; more than 10 contested possessions each time. He didn't have 30 at all last year but he's hit it twice already this year. He'd be top ten, probably top five in the B&F. (Riewoldt, Montagna, Ray, Dunstan, Dempster the others in contention?)

I'd love to see him get to 300 games, which can't happen this year. And I think his leadership is irreplaceable. If he's got any inclination at all to stay on then I hope Richo gives it everything to convince him.
You're right if would be a great idea to keep him on as a part time player / coach / leader if he wanted to do it .

falka
Club Player

defacto wrote:i always find peoples expectations funny.

can someone tell me why lewis pierce is listed as "extension likely" yet white is listed as in trouble?

can someone tell me why siposs receives so much criticism but lewis pierce attracts nearly none and has very little expectation placed on him?

btw i am in no way a lewis hater, i think he's been a good pick up and has some serious potential
Its Crazy. Lets talk Spencer White when he has had 4 pre-seasons under his belt, not the 0 he has had due to injury.
You see a player like Will Langford, ply his trade at Box Hill then come in and play good footy.

It would be great if WHite had played 20 games and kicked 50 goals already, but guess what, he hasn't. What is our hurry?

And on a controversial note, I reckon none of our forwards will blossom until Riewoldt has gone, rather than playing along side him. You need the opportunity

70s sainter
Club Player

So you would prefer to give Stanley the best full back or maybe double team him?

noob
Club Player

Dunell hasn't been that bad surely? He was the only decent player for Sandy yesterday. From what I've seen from Markworth he doesn't look like a genuine midfielder to me.

Players I think that will be in trouble by years end.

Maister & TDL. With a few retirements in there. I'd move on Simpkin if he wasn't contracted, simply because his ability is like Gwilt's. Too slow on the smaller players. Too small on the taller players.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Pierce = 19
Siposs = 21

2 years between them

Also Pierce is a Ruckman - and conventional wisdom allows more time for Ruckmen.

No-one wants White to come good more than me and I'm mindful he has not done a pre-seaon at all and it is only now he has fully recovered from that wrist injury - I don't expect him to play a single AFL game this year. My expectations aren't that high and I am willing to be patient - but I do expect him to be able to at least occasionally dominate a VFL development League game where he is against kids his own age and body size.

FQF
SS Life Member

I don't think many of us posters know very much, if anything, about Pierce.

It does seem a little strange to be developing a 20 year old ruck man when we have another developing 20 year old ruckman (Longer) who seems ahead of him, a young and developing 23 year old ruckman (Hickey) and a project, somewhat unlikely, 24 year old ruckman (Holmes). Not to mention the 23 year old Stanley.

Statsman
Club Player

defacto wrote:can someone tell me why lewis pierce is listed as "extension likely" yet white is listed as in trouble?

White and Siposs suffer the high expectations having been compared to Buddy and Goddard respectively. Nobody has compared Lewis to anybody yet so nobody is expecting him to turn into that player overnight. Wait until somebody says Lewis plays a bit like Dean Cox and we'll be all over him for under achieving.

"Ask not what your teammates can do for you. Ask what you can do for your teammates." - Earvin 'Magic' Johnson
lloyd21
Club Player

skeptic wrote:
James Gwilt - gone
Trent Dennis-Lane - gone
Sam Dunell - HAS THE SEASON TO PROVE HIMSELF 8-) prefer Jaksch uncontracted at Gws wants to come home.
Beau Maister - gone
Lenny Hayes - gone
Clint Jones - gone

Rookies
Minchington - gone
Milera. ...HAS THE SEASON TO PROVE HIMSELF 8-) Prefer Plowman 1st round draft pick uncontracted at Gws

Edited for accuracy.
Agree with sentiment but they have to be ruthless and think "The Pelican is "
Trading former stars won't get it done either long rebuild is under way.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

lloyd21 wrote:
skeptic wrote:
James Gwilt - gone
Trent Dennis-Lane - gone
Sam Dunell - HAS THE SEASON TO PROVE HIMSELF 8-) prefer Jaksch uncontracted at Gws wants to come home.
Beau Maister - gone
Lenny Hayes - gone
Clint Jones - gone

Rookies
Minchington - gone
Milera. ...HAS THE SEASON TO PROVE HIMSELF 8-) Prefer Plowman 1st round draft pick uncontracted at Gws

Edited for accuracy.
Agree with sentiment but they have to be ruthless and think "The Pelican is "
Trading former stars won't get it done either long rebuild is under way.
Agreed (wanna see Dunnell though) :mrgreen:

defacto
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:

Pierce = 19
Siposs = 21

2 years between them

Also Pierce is a Ruckman - and conventional wisdom allows more time for Ruckmen.

No-one wants White to come good more than me and I'm mindful he has not done a pre-seaon at all and it is only now he has fully recovered from that wrist injury - I don't expect him to play a single AFL game this year. My expectations aren't that high and I am willing to be patient - but I do expect him to be able to at least occasionally dominate a VFL development League game where he is against kids his own age and body size.
spot on 2 years and position. thats the only difference. but the expectation shouldnt be any different, both are very speculative picks. except one player has all this hype and hate around him and the other is left alone to develop. i swear it feels like some out there desperately want siposs to fail, be it falling out with his old man or the old i told you so moment

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

So we might start getting some contract announcements in the next month.

Ill go early and say Shenton will be the first announcement.

Junior
Club Player

supersaints wrote:

I've posted before
I did email the club about Barlow when he was playing at Werribee and recommended the send a talent scout down to check him out. Never got a reply so they either saw him and said no , or didn't bother driving down the highway.
Barlow was a ready made AFL player at Werribee.
Not suggesting the club should take any notice of me, or any other Saints supporter or that I'm some sort of smart arse, just that he really stood out, and I would have loved to have seen him get a shot in the Red, White & Black.

Also I think Dunnell will be picked up by the Bummers if we don't give him a go, so Id like to see him get a chance this year

Barlow did the pre season with us the year he joined Werribee.

A champion team will always beat a team of champions.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:So we might start getting some contract announcements in the next month.

Ill go early and say Shenton will be the first announcement.

Are they even allowed to do that? What are the rules on rookies?

darylcowie
Club Player

Perhaps this thread should be called Contract time - 2015.

In 2015 I do not want to see Jones, Savage, Dennis-Lane, Roberton, Fisher, Simpkin, Gwilt, Maister, Dunnell or Minchington on our list.

All of these players are list cloggers for different reasons.

Jones (redundant tagger now that Curren is developing in that role)

Savage (average player in a good team, poor player in a poor team)

Dennis-Lane (has no physical presence and goes missing for long periods in games)
(this could still be the story for Milera, but has started to improve in recent weeks)

Roberton (has served his apprenticeship, but now can't get a game in a bottom 3 side!)

Fisher (great player whose body has called time on his career)

Simpkin (love the attitude to the contest, but his speed and disposal are not AFL KP standard)

Gwilt (great kick, but speed and turning circle have gone)

Maister (good, ordinary KP players can't stay on lists if the can't clunk chest marks!)

Dunnell (utility players still need to find their niche on the ground and that goes for Siposs too - time will tell)

Minchington (Dennis-Lane with muscles, still goes missing for long periods in games though)

its time to make a name for yourself like you've never made before!
saint6709
Club Player

I don't think we need to turnover too many players at seasons end - we have a lot of young blokes who need time to develop. For me :

Definite to go

Maister
TDL
Jones

Maybes

Michington
Dunell
Markworth
Fisher
Schneider
Gwilt
Hayes

We may only need 3 from the maybes list to go - that will be 6 out and room for 6 new faces