Siposs - Any chance he's going to make it?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Re: Siposs - Any chance he's going to make it?

It's easy to think any player that isn't playing is on the chopping block but Simpkin shows that while you are on the list there is still a chance. Jack Steven was in Sippos' position for a long time. So was Armo. We can all guess what will happen but opportunities and playing good games at the right time can really open up the door. A few injuries in the position you play is all it takes. If Lenny, Montagna and Steven hadn't gone down round one we might not have seen Dunstan yet. We need to fit about 40 players into 22, not all will even get a real chance let alone make it but guessing who is often impossible as it depends on coaches needs and impressions.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Siposs was being hailed a sure success after six games?

Bit like Rhys Stanley?

All of a sudden, now he's not as good after 3 years in the system as he was after 3 games?

Over the top then or now?

I'd suggest Arryns biggest battle is his natural athleticism and endurance... And where he fits best as a player?..... 189 he is not agile or a good enough runner to be a mid size.... Not strong or tall enough to play KP

On pure skill he would sit comfortably in the best at the club

Kicking.... Elite
Marking.... Very good for size
Ground level.... One touch
Handball is slick

Just struggles with pace and demands at the highest level.

citywest

BigMart wrote:Siposs was being hailed a sure success after six games?

Bit like Rhys Stanley?

All of a sudden, now he's not as good after 3 years in the system as he was after 3 games?

I'd suggest Arryns biggest battle is his natural athleticism and endurance... And where he fits best as a player?..... 189 he is not agile or a good enough runner to be a mid size.... Not strong or tall enough to play KP

Kicking.... Elite
Handball is slick

Well summed up BigMart.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Did enough, give him a run at it IMHO

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

Played a serviceable game tonight looked a bit off it but hey it's he's first one back in a long while... cutting him some slack.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

He battled tonight.

He had a Beau Maister type game where he tried all night, worked hard, a few really good efforts, a few poor ones but nothing really came off for him.

One thing he needs to work on is getting the ball down in a contest when he won't be able to mark it... Also needs to focus on how to correctly pressure opponents to stop them from moving the ball out of packs so swiftly when he is involved.

Would definitely like to see him again.

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

BigMart wrote:Siposs was being hailed a sure success after six games?

Bit like Rhys Stanley?

Kicking.... Elite
Handball is slick

I question whether his kicking is elite. He misses way too many targets. He always tries to kick the crap out of it and shanks quite a few.
His defensive efforts aren't good enough and he is not tall enough for key position and not agile enough for medium forward.

elizabethr
Club Player

No he won't make it!

nothing to say
elizabethr
Club Player

No he won't make it!

nothing to say
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:He battled tonight.

He had a Beau Maister type game where he tried all night, worked hard, a few really good efforts, a few poor ones but nothing really came off for him.

One thing he needs to work on is getting the ball down in a contest when he won't be able to mark it... Also needs to focus on how to correctly pressure opponents to stop them from moving the ball out of packs so swiftly when he is involved.

Please don't compare number 2 with Miester. Beau works hard AND goes in hard.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Sippo deserves a run at it but he in no way did enough and in fact I hope someone points out that he is playing bruise-free footy.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:Sippo deserves a run at it but he in no way did enough and in fact I hope someone points out that he is playing bruise-free footy.
He laid 3 tackles, took 5 marks, 3 behinds is a shame but I think give him a few weeks to adjust to the level again.

Wouldn't say Stanley earned his spot, but was persisted with and showed signs.

If anything, I'd keep him in and put yet another forward target.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:Sippo deserves a run at it but he in no way did enough and in fact I hope someone points out that he is playing bruise-free footy.
He laid 3 tackles, took 5 marks, 3 behinds is a shame but I think give him a few weeks to adjust to the level again.

Wouldn't say Stanley earned his spot, but was persisted with and showed signs.

If anything, I'd keep him in and put yet another forward target.
Keep him in but for sure, but he better eat some concrete.

There is one thing I want in my Saints team and that is tough mongrel.

He pulled back from hitting a contest in the third quarter and that is something I've seen him do a bit before last nights game.

Those stats mean nothing if he isn't going to throw himself at the contest and fight to keep the ball in the forward line and spoil opposition marks.

Stanley is struggling with consistency.

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Bluthy wrote:I feel a bit sorry for some of these young guys who came to our club when we didn't have a proper development environment. Lyon ball all accounts barely dealt with any players outside his top 26. And Watters had a pretty muddled approach with players running around like headless chickens a bit. I think they've been a bit demoralised and confused about their roles. Young players need clear direction. But what is done is done and Sipposs needs to needs to compete like hell now to break the door down. Saunders, Webster and Curran have done it.
I agree. I couldn't get to the game (yes, another Monday night victim), and I was calling for Sippa's head during the broadcast. I could see his tackling had definitely improved, but where has that dead eye kick gone?

I reckon I probably overreacted. The TV coverage always distorts the whole performance - in this case, the missed goals are large as life, but you don't see what a player has done to get to the contest.

I'd be interested to know what those who were at the game thought? I want this guy to work out for us. I'd give him another crack.

Always loyal
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

There is one thing you teach a player - how to find the ball. Also, he does not have "clean hands" when picking it up off the ground.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
skeptic wrote:He battled tonight.

Please don't compare number 2 with Miester. Beau works hard AND goes in hard.
Come on man get the context...

I wasn't comparing the players at all. Vs Melbourne Beau had a game where simply nothing worked for him. Arryn hadva similar game in that sense. That's all

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Aside from the obvious - hard work, dedication, etc - there's only one solution for Arryn.

Games, games and more games.

He just has to play. In fact, I'd play him every game until the end of the season.

Like Stanley, he won't improve without relentless exposure to the top level of the game. Playing alongside Riewoldt is exactly what he needs; he can see first hand where he needs to be.

I understand why people want to pull the gun on him, but it's entirely plausible he will be a very, very good third forward with a combination of hard work and patience.

Maister is clearly a superior option at the moment but who will be a superior option in 2018? Maister will be 32 and delisted. Siposs will be 26 and at his peak. Nor do I see Maister as a major educator, like say Montagna, Hayes, Riewoldt or Schneider.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Jimmy O'Dea
Club Player

Siposs has played the same way since he was a junior. He was a late pick, it was a punt and it hasn't worked out.

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

too early guys... he needs more games...

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

BringBackMadDog wrote: I question whether his kicking is elite. He misses way too many targets. He always tries to kick the crap out of it and shanks quite a few.
His defensive efforts aren't good enough and he is not tall enough for key position and not agile enough for medium forward.
He needs to stop believing his own hype about his kicking. Akways go for some hero kick rather than just executing.
needs to stop thinking about the camera and the commentators and just worry about the game.

but id keep him in for a few more games.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

BringBackMadDog wrote: I question whether his kicking is elite. He misses way too many targets. He always tries to kick the crap out of it and shanks quite a few.
He needs to stop believing his own hype about his kicking. Akways go for some hero kick rather than just executing.
needs to stop thinking about the camera and the commentators and just worry about the game.

but id keep him in for a few more games.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

what he needs is a strong of 4-5 games to see if he improves on last night's performance. He needs to find his spot in the team, adjust to the style, tempo etc

If he does, he's worth persevering with if... then u cn put a line through him

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Ok game....but his kicking at goal is not what it once was, including his Sandy games this year. He should have had at least 2 goals last night....and that is what you need your pure forwards to do. To kick goals.

As another has already noted he appears to try and kick the ball too hard rather than concentrating on placement and so accuracy. That extra few metres he tries to get is ruining his kicling.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

We need to persevere with him as a forward. He had three shots at goal last night. Not bad considering the lack of ball we put through forwards not named Riewoldt.

one point
Club Player

Not much self confidence, not hard enough at the contest, not enough strong leading, poor kicking - long way to go!