Spencer White

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Spencer White

Zed wrote:the sooner that we kill of this 'next buddy frankiln' talk (as per the OP) the better.
Why?

Have you actually seen him trying to drive a Jeep??? :P

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Zed wrote:…the sooner that we kill of this 'next buddy frankiln' talk (as per the OP) the better.
Agree, just breeds unrealistic expectations… however I think it was said more like "he has a few traits similar to Franklin" rather than "He'll be the next Franklin".

Bull Murdoch hits packs "like Dangerfield"

Luke Dunstan has "the poise of Joel Selwood"

Josh Bruce has the "the hair of a freaky mohican"

etc

stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

Is out for 2 weeks with foot injury now!

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Zed wrote:
bergholt wrote:He's 19, what do you seriously expect?

He may not make it, and the club may decide at the end of the year that he's not worth persisting with. But I'm tipping they were expecting him to take a bit of time so as long as they're seeing some progress, he'll get at least a couple more years.
Perhaps you missed my point - how many players in the VFL 2nds have gone on to be '"the next buddy franklin". As fans we have been guilty of allowing that kind of hype to go on for too long. I certainly hope they keep him on the list and we all hope he makes it big- but the sooner that we kill of this 'next buddy frankiln' talk (as per the OP) the better.
Fair enough. I agree with you that the "next Buddy" thing is ridiculous. I guess I assumed that no-one was taking that seriously!

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:We’re all anonymous on this forum but I’ll take a bit of a guess that:

• A large percentage of us have viewed the infamous U18 highlights videos
• A reasonable percentage of us have seen Spencer play in 2 – 3 televised VFL matches
• A small percentage of us have seen Spencer play live in VFL games.
• An extremely small percentage of us have seen Spencer regular train with the Saints squad.

I fit into the first two categories and that is it. So in all honesty I have no idea as to whether or not the kid will make it, much less whether he has the appetite to make it.

However he’s only been at the club for less than a season and a half. He’s had problems with his wrist which necessitated surgery and with his hamstring. And he’s currently wearing a moon boot. So while it’s easy to look at a game and label a kid as lazy, or lacking motivation etc., I reckon only those who get to interact with him on a regular basis are able to accurately make such judgements. My own belief is that the game these days is so demanding that if a player really did lack the motivation for AFL footy then they’d probably walk away Steve Gaertner style, rather than have to rock up to training on almost a daily basis, endure subzero recovery sessions etc.

Of course this is a fan forum and it’s fun to speculate. And to see if you can guess right. And to see if your football judgement is as good as you think it is.

But at the end of the day it’s experts at the club who are best placed to decide whether Spencer White is retained on the list. Whether he does have the ability and the aptitude. And I trust them to make the correct decision.

That said, it is certainly the hope of this fan that the kid starts to show the ability that he no doubt possesses and goes on to be a mighty Saints player. And if that takes a few more years then so be it.

Great post.

Fantastic!

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote:Well said Dr. Nothing wrong with his work ethic, and trains as hard as anyone. The problem is between the ears. The club will stick with him,and hope a full pre season and maturity will do the trick. The boy has something special. Forget about the running goal for Sandy, some of the things he does at training make you shake your head. They'll persist.

Thanks for the insights Tony!

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Zed wrote:
bergholt wrote:
Zed wrote:The most over rated and over hyped player on our list since Tommy Walsh.

Hard to believe a player in his 2nd year on an AFL list is going to rise from VFL 2nds to AFL - and make an impact. Surely has to get 1 more year on the list given tall forwards are hard to find. I get he has has been struggling with injury, but he seems well off the pace.
He's 19, what do you seriously expect?

He may not make it, and the club may decide at the end of the year that he's not worth persisting with. But I'm tipping they were expecting him to take a bit of time so as long as they're seeing some progress, he'll get at least a couple more years.
Perhaps you missed my point - how many players in the VFL 2nds have gone on to be '"the next buddy franklin". As fans we have been guilty of allowing that kind of hype to go on for too long. I certainly hope they keep him on the list and we all hope he makes it big- but the sooner that we kill of this 'next buddy frankiln' talk (as per the OP) the better.

Jimmy Webster? Possibly the next Buddy might not be right but could still be a valuable player.

saint6709
Club Player

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:I think however we look at it he has been disappointing. i dont think people realise the type of ordinary footballers playing in sandy seconds. He should at least be a regular in the ones but having said that he is a young tall kid who may or may not make it but at least needs one more year. if this time next year he is in Sandy seconds it maybe time to let him go. it will be interesting what sort of contract he gets at the end of the year. i would only give him a year and see if that gets him going.

What it does show is highlights are nearly more overated than hit outs. Unless they also show lowlights they should be taken with a grain of salt. I reckon Justin Sweeney would have a great highlights tape from his time at casey. Pity he didnt do other things on the ground that were required.

A guy who does some work for me played at the Saints development league or what ever it was called with Plugger. He said they though he might be mentally challenged and was a huge unco clown. The next year he exploded and was incredible. I'm hoping that Spencer might do something similar. Spencer doesn't necessarily have the required skills to be a stay at home FF he might need to be developed like Buddy where his running game is exploited. He might need to get a taste of seniors to focus him on the prize. He's likely to be a high maintenance player as far as development goes but his skills are rare.
Have also read the same about Brian Lake - so here's hoping

saint6709
Club Player

tony74 wrote:Well said Dr. Nothing wrong with his work ethic, and trains as hard as anyone. The problem is between the ears. The club will stick with him,and hope a full pre season and maturity will do the trick. The boy has something special. Forget about the running goal for Sandy, some of the things he does at training make you shake your head. They'll persist.
Tony given that he is a hard worker are you saying he lacks confidence ?? Or he doesn't maintain focus on the job at hand during the game ? What do you think he needs to work on?? Can the club help him with whatever it is ??

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

stkildathunda wrote:Is out for 2 weeks with foot injury now!
Is that so he can wear a moon boot and blend in with most of his teammates?

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
A guy who does some work for me played at the Saints development league or what ever it was called with Plugger. He said they though he might be mentally challenged and was a huge unco clown. The next year he exploded and was incredible. I'm hoping that Spencer might do something similar. Spencer doesn't necessarily have the required skills to be a stay at home FF he might need to be developed like Buddy where his running game is exploited. He might need to get a taste of seniors to focus him on the prize. He's likely to be a high maintenance player as far as development goes but his skills are rare.
Not sure what sort of a footy judge he was, Lockett kicked 7 goals in his first reserves game from centre half forward only just turning 17.

Bring back the Lockett era
tony74
SS Hall of Fame

Someone else on here said if you could put Simpkins aggressive attack on the ball and man, onto Spencer we would have a champion. Hopefully another pre season of weights and an extra year of maturity it'll happen. Club is certainly aware of it and doing everything possible.
If you're old enough think of Stewart Loewe, always played bette if someone thumped him early. Hard to teach aggression, but Spencer is willing to learn.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Give the kid a break FFS its hard enough for a nineteen year old key forward to make it with everything going well for them. This kid hasnt had a proper pre season so no wonder he is behind the 8 ball. Only a clown would make a negative call on the kid.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Sooooooo, if I'm reading this correctly...,

Spenc-arrrrh does have the shear talent to be another Buddy-esque player,

however he doesn't have Buddy's... 'white line' fever?

Tony, should our club really be teaching him that? :lol:

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:Sooooooo, if I'm reading this correctly...,

Spenc-arrrrh does have the shear talent to be another Buddy-esque player,

however he doesn't have Buddy's... 'white line' fever?

Tony, should our club really be teaching him that? :lol:
Maybe he needs to learn to drive first!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Zed wrote:
bergholt wrote:
Zed wrote:The most over rated and over hyped player on our list since Tommy Walsh.

Hard to believe a player in his 2nd year on an AFL list is going to rise from VFL 2nds to AFL - and make an impact. Surely has to get 1 more year on the list given tall forwards are hard to find. I get he has has been struggling with injury, but he seems well off the pace.
He's 19, what do you seriously expect?

there is a reason for that...a couple of list cloggers in sandy's firsts on bigger bucks are keeping him out...get rid of those two come seasons end and give the boy a proper go......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Not enough meat and potatoes in his game

stinger
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Not enough meat and potatoes in his game
he's still a boy...granted a very big boy...but a boy nevertheless.......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Saints94
SS Life Member

Give him time surely. If only he had Jeremy Cameron's footy smarts to go along with the athleticism..

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

We looking for a forward or a chef ??

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:
We looking for a forward or a chef ??
Back in the 70s we coulda signed Freddy Cook and had both :P

saint6709
Club Player

tony74 wrote:Someone else on here said if you could put Simpkins aggressive attack on the ball and man, onto Spencer we would have a champion. Hopefully another pre season of weights and an extra year of maturity it'll happen. Club is certainly aware of it and doing everything possible.
If you're old enough think of Stewart Loewe, always played bette if someone thumped him early. Hard to teach aggression, but Spencer is willing to learn.
Thanks for the insight tony - doesn't sound unreasonable for a young and growing kid thrown in againstmen ... Hopefully when he continues to develop physically he will gain more confidence to impose himself on the opposition - sounds like he might be ready to make an impact 2016

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Agree with Tony that he needs a proper pre season in the gym before we can judge but we also need to remember they guys hes playing against in the dev league are also mainly boys as well.
so the age and maturity thing cant be the used as the whole story.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Luke Dunstan is still a boy?

Boys can play footy you know? What are you, RossLyon?

Some boys at GWS and GC go alright, James Aish goes alright.... Birth certificate is a reason for a few things (inconsistency, decision making, strength) but it's not an excuse for poor effort or poor skills...

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Luke Dunstan is still a boy?

Boys can play footy you know? What are you, RossLyon?

Some boys at GWS and GC go alright, James Aish goes alright.... Birth certificate is a reason for a few things (inconsistency, decision making, strength) but it's not an excuse for poor effort or poor skills...

There are also examples of players taking a couple of years to come good. Patton was pick one and hasnt sent the world on fire. hawkins would have gone top 10 and struggled for a few years. No doubt White is struggling but its easy to use examples to prove a point either way.