Cameron for our first pick? YES!!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

70s sainter
Club Player

Re: Cameron for our first pick? YES!!

We will finish bottom 3 with Brisbane and gws in 2015.
If wants to come to melb we will have the lowest pick avail . They could then on trade that to get a ready made player/forward.
Sure he might want to go to hawks/ coll etc but we will have a better pick so should be in the box seat to get the trade done. Plus we have the most salary cap room surely.
He can't really refuse and go into the draft because we would pick him up anyway .
:) :)

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

70s sainter wrote:We will finish bottom 3 with Brisbane and gws in 2015.
If wants to come to melb we will have the lowest pick avail . They could then on trade that to get a ready made player/forward.
Sure he might want to go to hawks/ coll etc but we will have a better pick so should be in the box seat to get the trade done. Plus we have the most salary cap room surely.
He can't really refuse and go into the draft because we would pick him up anyway .
We may have the best pick but im sure other sides will have the best players to trade. i reckon GWS will want players more than picks.

70s sainter
Club Player

You may be right but they could also trade our first pick which could be 1,2 or 3 for a player which could tempt a lot of clubs who may have a gun forward but are past the premiership window.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Id be content if we ended up with say Hugh Godard, Some young gun midfielder (who is fast and can kick) and say a John Butcher at years end.

But if Pelchen is smart enough to somehow lure Cameron at the end of 2015 well he truly is a genius. I certainly cant think of anyway we can do it. If it happened then ill be a)gobsmacked b) bloody impressed and c) bloody over the moon.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Id be content if we ended up with say Hugh Godard, Some young gun midfielder (who is fast and can kick) and say a John Butcher at years end.

But if Pelchen is smart enough to somehow lure Cameron at the end of 2015 well he truly is a genius. I certainly cant think of anyway we can do it. If it happened then ill be a)gobsmacked b) bloody impressed and c) bloody over the moon.

Im with you. Anyway i look at it i cant see how we get him. They arent going to be interested in another top 3 pick, They will want players and the only ones we have are Steven and billings and we would be crazy to do anything with them.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:
We may have the best pick but im sure other sides will have the best players to trade. i reckon GWS will want players more than picks.
Certainly this year it would seem there is no outstanding number 1 draft pick being talked about (yet) and GWS already have a list skewed toward youth as you say. Would be really interesting if say there was a standout midfielder in next years draft - 'the next Chris Judd' for arguments sake. Blessed with lots of talls , I think GWS would entertain the thought of offering up a Cameron or Patton or Boyd. The more interesting question would then be what the team holding the number 1 pick would do - trade for a good quality player & pick downgrade (say Patton and pick 9) , or hold onto the chance to draft a once in a generation player.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Zed wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Certainly this year it would seem there is no outstanding number 1 draft pick being talked about (yet) and GWS already have a list skewed toward youth as you say. Would be really interesting if say there was a standout midfielder in next years draft - 'the next Chris Judd' for arguments sake. Blessed with lots of talls , I think GWS would entertain the thought of offering up a Cameron or Patton or Boyd. The more interesting question would then be what the team holding the number 1 pick would do - trade for a good quality player & pick downgrade (say Patton and pick 9) , or hold onto the chance to draft a once in a generation player.

I said this previously and stand by it. GWS have won 5 games in 2 and half years. They cant continually just add young players to the list every time they lose a 2nd 3rd or 4th year player. they will never improve enough doing that. I reckon they would love Dom Tyson instead of Kelly and not because kelly cant play but he is 2 years further away from being as experienced. they also lost pick 9 which was salem. I just think GWS will now say we have enough young guys but to really improve we need a very good experienced mid. maybe no one will offer them that but if it was me I would trade someone like that for cameron plus a high top 10 pick.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

He won't leave... He is their #1 priority

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
100%

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I agree with p66.
GWS wont be interested in draft picks - only players and realistically they would only be interested in Steven and Billings on our list so I cant see anyway we can do a deal with them. Armo is probably the only viable option they might be interested in but that wouldn't get the Cameron deal done (It might get us someone like Shiels or Tomlinson though).

Playon
Club Player

Unless he does a Luke Ball, and says he will only play for the Saints or go into the draft. Which would mean we would have to make an offer he couldn't refuse. If that was the case we wouldn't have to pay overs to trade for him, we have the salary cap room, but he'd come at a price

jays
Club Player

would luv him thou

aaron82
Club Player

Re: Cameron for our first pick?

WinnersOnly wrote:Dont get youselves worked up the chances of him leaving are slim
, the chances of him wanting to come to Saints are a million to one!
"Winners Only" is absolutely right. Despite Cameron not being a free agent the key is still to have him interested in wanting to play for us.
What can we offer him besides money? A yearly pass on Eastlink?

He would probably only go to a Victorian club that was close to a premiership.

Collingwood - Could entice him with 16 games in front of mega crowds at the 'G' plus Anzac Day. Not to mention a gig replacing Luke Ball on the footy show.
Essendon - Anzac Day
Hawthorn - Close to another premiership, have room after Buddy left
Geelong - Successful organisation, still near the top. Could offer ownership in a few hotels in Corio.
Richmond - Unlikely, but do play in front of big crowds at the 'G'
Melbourne - Paul Roos factor. Play at the 'G' and on the rise
Carlton - Also unlikely, but they have plenty of third party options to throw up.

Bulldogs and North Melbourne have as much chance of enticing him to their club as we do.

We are much better off heading to the draft and using pick 3-5 on Hugh Goddard, or any other tall talent that will be available at the end of the season.

and that's the bottom line
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

While the attention is focused on Cameron swoop on Patton and while doing so free up further cap space for GWS to keep Cameron. Offer pick 3 for the Patton and pick 19.

Playon
Club Player

trade me to "this" club or I'll go into the draft has a lot of bargaining power. We'd be crazy not to at least inquire.

We also have to chase after free agents sooner or later. if we can pick up players by other means all the better.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

aaron82 wrote:
WinnersOnly wrote:Dont get youselves worked up the chances of him leaving are slim
, the chances of him wanting to come to Saints are a million to one!
"Winners Only" is absolutely right. Despite Cameron not being a free agent the key is still to have him interested in wanting to play for us.
What can we offer him besides money? A yearly pass on Eastlink?

He would probably only go to a Victorian club that was close to a premiership.

Collingwood - Could entice him with 16 games in front of mega crowds at the 'G' plus Anzac Day. Not to mention a gig replacing Luke Ball on the footy show.
Essendon - Anzac Day
Hawthorn - Close to another premiership, have room after Buddy left
Geelong - Successful organisation, still near the top. Could offer ownership in a few hotels in Corio.
Richmond - Unlikely, but do play in front of big crowds at the 'G'
Melbourne - Paul Roos factor. Play at the 'G' and on the rise
Carlton - Also unlikely, but they have plenty of third party options to throw up.

Bulldogs and North Melbourne have as much chance of enticing him to their club as we do.

We are much better off heading to the draft and using pick 3-5 on Hugh Goddard, or any other tall talent that will be available at the end of the season.

We wont get him but we certainly arent better off getting Goddard if this guy was available. As I said it wont happen because GWS will want a player but if they went mad and our pick either one two or three would get it done then see you later Goddard.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Old Mate wrote:While the attention is focused on Cameron swoop on Patton and while doing so free up further cap space for GWS to keep Cameron. Offer pick 3 for the Patton and pick 19.
I agree with this post. Go for Patton

You are garbage - Enough said
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:While the attention is focused on Cameron swoop on Patton and while doing so free up further cap space for GWS to keep Cameron. Offer pick 3 for the Patton and pick 19.

So they end up with pick 2 & 3 and we end up with
Patton, pick 19 and pick 21.

Not out of the question ..... To do it we would have to rate Patton as better than Goddard.

But the question is do GWS want to keep getting kids when they need mature players?

I cant see how we could get possibly Cameron unless we were prepared to give up Steven (which I don't think anyone is).
And I dont think there is a snowflakes chance in hell GWS will let Cameron go anyway.

I reckon Patton is a possibility though.... But is he a better bet than Goddard?
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Tue 27 May 2014 8:04pm, edited 2 times in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Is he any good?

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Patton is a high level talent. He will become one of the elite forwards of the comp IMO. Too much going for him not to make it. Big guy with vg agility even after the ACL. Very accurate goal kicker and natural leader. The General should be high up on our shopping list.

GWS struggle to attract players and will have to continue being compensated in picks when their talented players demand a trade. A lot of rumours that not many players want to be there hence why GWS are trying to extend current contracts. Shiel is another that is baulking at signing on past next year.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:Patton is a high level talent. He will become one of the elite forwards of the comp IMO. Too much going for him not to make it. Big guy with vg agility even after the ACL. Very accurate goal kicker and natural leader. The General should be high up on our shopping list.

GWS struggle to attract players and will have to continue being compensated in picks when their talented players demand a trade. A lot of rumours that not many players want to be there hence why GWS are trying to extend current contracts. Shiel is another that is baulking at signing on past next year.

Well we differ a bit in how we regard Patton and what they will get in compensation when some do leave. he looks a bit of a lumberer to me and im unsure huge forwards who dont really lead up the ground will work in todays footy even though it will change. it always does. Also if players do leave I expect GWS to ask for players more than top draft picks.

saint6709
Club Player

Who is he I can't find him on this list ???

Josh Jenkins 25, 198, 104, 34
Jake Carlisle 22, 200, 98, 58
Tayte Pears 24, 192, 92, 68
Tom Campbell 22, 201, 104, 15
Ayce Cordy 23, 202, 99, 19
Liam Jones 23, 197, 97, 63
Sam Reid 22, 196, 96, 61
Tim Membrey 19, 188, 89, 0
David Astbury 23, 195, 96, 37
Jack Riewoldt 25, 195, 94, 143
Tyrone Vickory 23, 200, 97, 81
Todd Elton 21, 197, 97, 1
Liam McBean 19, 202, 86, 0
John Butcher 22, 197, 93, 23
Majak Daw 23, 195, 97, 10
Cameron Delaney 21, 194, 91, 6
Jack Watts 23, 196, 88, 82
James Frawley 25, 193, 94, 123
Tim O'Brien 20, 193, 81, 2
Daniel Gorringe 21, 200, 96, 17
Zac Clarke 24, 203, 97, 59
Levi Casboult 24, 199, 100, 22
Sam Frost 20, 194, 88, 13
Kristian Jacksh 19, 195, 84, 2
Cameron McCarthy 19, 195, 83
Jon Patton 21, 197, 100, 19

aaron82
Club Player

We wont get him but we certainly arent better off getting Goddard if this guy was available. As I said it wont happen because GWS will want a player but if they went mad and our pick either one two or three would get it done then see you later Goddard.[/quote]

Absolutely agree Plugger that we should throw the kitchen sink at Cameron if he did show any interest coming to Linen House. He is an elite talent, many people have said comparable to Carey as a talent.

My point was that I highly doubt he or any top player ie; Fyfe would want to come to us at the minute.
When we acquired Gehrig, Hamill and co it was on the back of Malcolm Blight's signature and excitement with having picks 1 & 2 in the draft. We also had quite a lot of talent on the list that were in the 23-28 year old category. Right now we have very few players who are ready to play "career best footy".

This year I believe we should go down a similar path to last season and use our picks on the draft. I don't think we will have 3 top 20 picks this season though.

Once we can generate some excitement that will come from Billings, Acres, Dunstan, Templeton and co playing 30-50 games we will me in a much better position to entice a player to play with us.

and that's the bottom line
Megamaguire
Club Player

FQF wrote:
dragit wrote:The Footy Show, I mean Collingwood will fit him in their cap, no probs.
Eddie isn't with 9 anymore.

Eddie is with the man in the mirror

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Questions:

1. Have we already discounted Goddard?
2. Is there any tall fwd from another state who looks promising?
3. What about if get a few kids in the draft but also try for a young fwd (under 23) like Butcher, Reid etc etc etc who may have less reputation than Patton but some possible upside.