Saad original 18mth suspension stands

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Re: Saad original 18mth suspension stands

Bergholt, you and FQR are both right. The offence carries a mandatory 2 year ineligibility period for a first offence. However, there are a few ways in which the mandatory sentence can be replaced or reduced under the Code.

First, if you can establish how the substance entered your body or came into your possession AND that you didn't intend it to be performance enhancing or to mask it (14.3)

Second, under the "exceptional circumstances" provisions that the Essendope lawyers will have been crawling all over for months. This is the "no fault or negligence", "no significant fault or negligence", "assisting ASADA", "admission before discovery" and "multiple counts" grab bag (14.4). There are different ways the sentence can be affected depending on which one applies.

I'm not sure where Saady's fell, because of course everything seems to be secret squirrel unless the case makes it to the Court of Arbitration of Sport. But to my mind the fact that there are relatively broad discretions under those clauses made the ASADA appeal all the more galling and a bloody ridiculous waste of public money.

If you've got nothing better to do on a sunny Friday afternoon before the game, have a gander at the Code.

http://www.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20 ... 0FINAL.pdf

Always loyal
Richter
SS Life Member

Anybody know if ASADA will now appeal to the Court of arbitration for sport like they did in the case of the suburban footballer?

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Bluthy wrote: I'm sure they will come to some agreement about money and his legal expenses. You wouldn't want it getting messy and him taking St Kilda to court.
Surely this couldnt possibly happen. Unless Saad was instructed to take the illegal substance by the club.

"Gross Miscounduct" leads to plenty of people heading Centrelink's way, whether your a cleaner, or an architect, or a professional sportsman. As far as reasons go, taking a banned substance as a professional sportsman is right up there.

Saad wouldnt have a leg to stand on in regards to legal action against the Saints.

Was Saad stupid? Yes.
Was he unlucky? Probably.
Was he screwed by either St Kilda, the AFL, or the process? Most certainly not.

andrewg
Club Player

He is soooooooooooooooooooooooo much better than TDL no worse then Puoppolo

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/s ... 6959066932

"ST KILDA will seek AFL permission to conduct a fitness test on the suspended Ahmed Saad before this year’s draft as it considers his re-selection.

Saad’s 18-month suspension for taking a prohibited substance ends on February 21 and he is unable to play or train with any club until then.

A 21-day window for ASADA to appeal the length of the ban at the Administrative Appeals Tribunal expired yesterday.

A relieved Saad, who has found work as a stockbroker, was ramping up his training program as the Saints made it clear they would consider drafting him in November.

Saints football boss Chris Pelchen said the club hoped to get Saad into the club for a period of testing in the lead-up to the November draft........."

BTW, found this bit a little odd/funny:

"St Kilda has battled to find a quality small forward to replace Saad and Stephen Milne.

Tom Lee was substituted in the second quarter against Geelong in only his second game of the year...."

:shock: :)

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/s ... 6959066932

"ST KILDA will seek AFL permission to conduct a fitness test on the suspended Ahmed Saad before this year’s draft as it considers his re-selection.

Saad’s 18-month suspension for taking a prohibited substance ends on February 21 and he is unable to play or train with any club until then.

A 21-day window for ASADA to appeal the length of the ban at the Administrative Appeals Tribunal expired yesterday.

A relieved Saad, who has found work as a stockbroker, was ramping up his training program as the Saints made it clear they would consider drafting him in November.

Saints football boss Chris Pelchen said the club hoped to get Saad into the club for a period of testing in the lead-up to the November draft........."

BTW, found this bit a little odd/funny:

"St Kilda has battled to find a quality small forward to replace Saad and Stephen Milne.

Tom Lee was substituted in the second quarter against Geelong in only his second game of the year...."

:shock: :)
Like the fact we are at least looking at him. He deserves a go on the rookie list especially if the Bombers get 6 month out of season bans.

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Ah. So that's Tommy's trouble. He needs to stop slouching ...

Great news about Saad.

Always loyal
saint-stu
Club Player

Fantastic! We could really use him right now.

1ac46a38
lewdogs
Club Player

I have been thinking about Saad. In my opinion we need him back. Provides excitement and is an excellent kick for goal. I really hope that we give him another crack.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

I see now! Tommy Lee needs to reinvent himself as a small forward.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Spatchcock

lewdogs wrote:I have been thinking about Saad. In my opinion we need him back. Provides excitement and is an excellent kick for goal. I really hope that we give him another crack.
Not to mention his rather (in)famous long walk ups to goal which used to make opposition fans go spare!

When you start from the bottom the only way to go is up.
lewdogs
Club Player

Spatchcock wrote:
lewdogs wrote:I have been thinking about Saad. In my opinion we need him back. Provides excitement and is an excellent kick for goal. I really hope that we give him another crack.
Not to mention his rather (in)famous long walk ups to goal which used to make opposition fans go spare!
So true, love that about him. He usually kicked them too!

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Spatchcock wrote: Not to mention his rather (in)famous long walk ups to goal which used to make opposition fans go spare!

It also limits the amount of time available for the opposition to score against us Image

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Even if we rookied Saad what would be the chance that he carved out a career as regular AFL player. Does anyone think he has enough talent to make it or do you think the Saints may think they are morally compelled to give him another shot?
I reckon in our state he's a walk up start but we aren't looking too flash.

Saint wagga
Club Player

I think he showed enough that he could be a solid contributor, mind you we were a stronger team when he looked ok, but again, showed enough IMO to be given another go, his defenseive pressure was pretty good and he seemed like a good team man...at least worth a rookie draft...

saintly
Saintsational Legend

at least he has a job, and is looking to keep fit and will be trying as best as he can get onto a list. I like that.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:Even if we rookied Saad what would be the chance that he carved out a career as regular AFL player. Does anyone think he has enough talent to make it or do you think the Saints may think they are morally compelled to give him another shot?

I watched a few old games recently and I can't remember which one it was but Saad looked a gun. Much better than Milne who had zero defensive pressure once the ball started going the other way. He kicked goals, chased and pressured. He was exactly what you wanted from a small forward in 2014. Milne was a freak in that he scored so highly from limited opportunities but most coaches prefer that the ball be contained in the forward line than a bag of goals theses days.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:Even if we rookied Saad what would be the chance that he carved out a career as regular AFL player. Does anyone think he has enough talent to make it or do you think the Saints may think they are morally compelled to give him another shot?

I watched a few old games recently and I can't remember which one it was but Saad looked a gun. Much better than Milne who had zero defensive pressure once the ball started going the other way. He kicked goals, chased and pressured. He was exactly what you wanted from a small forward in 2014. Milne was a freak in that he scored so highly from limited opportunities but most coaches prefer that the ball be contained in the forward line than a bag of goals theses days.

So in hindsight now you are saying coaches would prefer a Saad than a Milne. I will go with 500 goal player over the 50 goal player even if there is a bit extra forward pressure. Seems Saad's last year at the club has got better with time.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:

So in hindsight now you are saying coaches would prefer a Saad than a Milne. I will go with 500 goal player over the 50 goal player even if there is a bit extra forward pressure. Seems Saad's last year at the club has got better with time.
The fantasy is always better than the reality

Megamaguire
Club Player

SAAD AIMING TO RETURN 2 SAINTS

Saad has a chance of returning to the fold and it sounds like he is going for it, if fitness and professional attitude is good then the recruiters would have a look i'd think. After that too hard to say. He can kick straight and seemed to be developing along. He could fit in well as a sort of elder and do well alongside the younguns. There are a few ifs but his keenness is giving our club another option.
I doubt if Lenny will be back in '15 and Roo or Monty could have some rotten luck a la Gilbert and a slightly older head should not be sneezed at.
Overall i was glad that arseada didn't get to throw their highest reprimand @ Ahmed but I would really like to see him return if he could keep producing and developing.

G O S A I N T S ! :D

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
avid
Club Player

When Saady first started he looked like he had everything. (except a left foot)
Fastest in 20m sprint (or something like that) elite agility, goalkicking smarts, and accuracy.
In one of his early games he laid10 tackles.
In his second year he seemed to lose most of it. He was regularly run down by chasing defenders, couldn't find the ball, looked slow, couldn't take a mark, barely laid a finger on an opponent, and most of his few goals were from ftees and gimmies.
I don't know what causes something like that. But I hope it's reversable.
I would love early-version Saad to be back on the team. But if he just continues on from where he left off, I doubt he'd get another game.
Did other people see this too?

stinger
Saintsational Legend

avid wrote:When Saady first started he looked like he had everything. (except a left foot)
Fastest in 20m sprint (or something like that) elite agility, goalkicking smarts, and accuracy.
In one of his early games he laid10 tackles.
In his second year he seemed to lose most of it. He was regularly run down by chasing defenders, couldn't find the ball, looked slow, couldn't take a mark, barely laid a finger on an opponent, and most of his few goals were from ftees and gimmies.
I don't know what causes something like that. But I hope it's reversable.
I would love early-version Saad to be back on the team. But if he just continues on from where he left off, I doubt he'd get another game.
Did other people see this too?

bit like some of the essendon players......timid's son won a brownlow whilst on the gear....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:

A bit like plugger would find his lack of fitness a barrier to being drafted now.... times change. The next 500 goal player might not make it through drafting when he doesn't rate highly in the beep test. Clint Jones probably could have been a superstar in the 1970s where the disposal wasn't as important. Milney had great skills in kicking goals but he was one way only. He's still one of my all time favourite players though.