Why we might do better than expected tonight

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Why we might do better than expected tonight

The scribes are universally against us and the bookies have us at tens. So, not much chance tonight, right?

It is only a couple of months ago that won three of our first five with high intensity tackling and somewhat manic determination from our young team. But as I said that the time, such displays of physicality was bound to take an effect on young and underdeveloped bodies. And so it did.

But, a 12 day break, just might freshen up that required body toughness, at least for a week or so.

We have won just one first quarter this year, and that was by 4 points against GWS. If I was coaching the team, all midfielders would be taggers from the start. Let them get the ball - on the stats so far this year, they are likely to anyway. As soon as they touch it - hit 'em - with pack tackles. Lenny must run with Scott Pendlebury and be one of his tacklers wherever possible. Pendlebury's ability to handball despite being tackled (mainly due to his height) must be counteracted.

Once pressure is applied, all sorts of funny things can happen, particularly to their back line which is a bit inexperienced. And then, who knows. If we are with them a quarter time, then we can aim to be with them at half time.

FQF
SS Life Member

Re: Why we might do better than expected tonight

Pressure is a formidable weapon and to me, the greatest equaliser in the game. Even the very best teams can be made to look mediocre when extreme pressure is applied.

GC are undoubtedly far more skillful than the team we fielded against them, but our second half pressure put us on equal footing.

Sydney's manic pressure last night gave them a 110 point butchering of the great Geelong -- something I didn't think I would see happen to Geelong for a good few more years yet.

Pressure has given Melbourne the ability to compete with most teams they've played this year -- something I also didn't think I would see at least this year.

The good teams have the pressure perfectly balanced with attack, but pressure must come first for a developing team like us. If we turn it on like we did in the first few rounds, then I would comfortably bet on us at the line which is at 45.5.

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Fingers, toes and everything else crossed that you're right. I expect us to start much better this week, given the coach's promise that this was our focus over the break.

We're the Saints. We love adversity. And we'd bloody love to finally beat the black and white again.

Always loyal
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Yes we may do better than I expect and only go down by 5 goals.
Not a chance in hell of winning. We are cooked. 10 injured. Let's hope we are in the game until at least the final quarter.
Nothing wrong with losing tonight.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
stevie
Saintsational Legend

Yep, for some reason I think we will do pretty good tonight. Maybe not well enough to win but you never know.

Mind you, a smashing can happen at any time, can't it, unfortunately...

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Yes we may do better than I expect and only go down by 5 goals.
Not a chance in hell of winning. We are cooked. 10 injured. Let's hope we are in the game until at least the final quarter.
Nothing wrong with losing tonight.

Plenty wrong with losing tonight because it means we arent winning. By the way I reckon 10 goals plus but I am usually wrong so we maybe a chance.

GoSaintersGo
Club Player

perfectionist wrote:The scribes are universally against us and the bookies have us at tens. So, not much chance tonight, right?

It is only a couple of months ago that won three of our first five with high intensity tackling and somewhat manic determination from our young team. But as I said that the time, such displays of physicality was bound to take an effect on young and underdeveloped bodies. And so it did.

But, a 12 day break, just might freshen up that required body toughness, at least for a week or so.

We have won just one first quarter this year, and that was by 4 points against GWS. If I was coaching the team, all midfielders would be taggers from the start. Let them get the ball - on the stats so far this year, they are likely to anyway. As soon as they touch it - hit 'em - with pack tackles. Lenny must run with Scott Pendlebury and be one of his tacklers wherever possible. Pendlebury's ability to handball despite being tackled (mainly due to his height) must be counteracted.

Once pressure is applied, all sorts of funny things can happen, particularly to their back line which is a bit inexperienced. And then, who knows. If we are with them a quarter time, then we can aim to be with them at half time.
Well said and in fact, that's what Richo has been advocating.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I remember a similar OP against the Hawks.

But i expect us to be competitive for a few quarters.

Week off ( we needed it)
Generally we go ok v Collingwood
Week off.

Still see us getting run off our feet. Problem is so far this year we have only won 1 first quarter out of 10...... So first quarter is crucial not to be blown away.

Hayes Ross Weller Dunstan Curren - a few too many of the same 'type' for my liking.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Fri 30 May 2014 5:34pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

A few people have compared the current team to the St. Kilda of 2002. I just hope tonight isn't reminiscent of when we played the Filth that year. I think we only scored three goals for the match and lost by almost 100 points.
Last edited by Sainternist on Fri 30 May 2014 5:34pm, edited 1 time in total.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Although I'd prefer to be optimistic, I think we'll get slammed by about 80 points.