May not be popular

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

May not be popular

And may get a warning but have to say some of that crap in the match day thread was simply crap. Complaining about the side and the effort and the skills and so on. Unless some of you hae been on another planet for tha last couple of years you would have seen thats our problem. The funny thing is some who ar complaining are either those who thought we were no hope or had some fanciful idea we were a hope. Logis says those complaining who thought we were no hope got exactly what we whought and those who thought we were a hope have lost the plot. We played to our exact ability today. Anyone who saw it otherwise has some issues. Now please stop whinging and complaining and get on board.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

Re: May not be popular

weeing myself @those who thought we were a hope have lost the plot.

hehehehe

ahhhhhhhhhhh

touche.

c'mon 15th spot.

... edit.
17 th spot i meant ... doh ... idiot
Last edited by asiu on Sat 31 May 2014 11:55pm, edited 1 time in total.

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
R. Harvey 3 votes!
Club Player

PLUGGGGGGGGERRRRRRR! Oh hang on I thought it was the great man taking a big speakie!

When Harvey played his first game in 1988, I was a 12yo wearing short pants and struggling with my readin', writin' and 'rithmetic in grade eight. Now, I'm a father of three and a retired AFL player. And he's still going. Amazing! - Michael Voss
Griggsy
SS Life Member

Pretty much it. It was a current top4 team against bottom 4. How many bottom 4 teams did we beat up when we were top4. Quite a few (and could have been more without defensive gameplay)

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

So what is your point plugger?
Fans have no right to whinge and the club is run by geniuses who are above criticism ?

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

Con, there's a difference between having a whinge and some of the rubbish posted on that thread.

From offloading half the team, sacking Pelchen, certain players having no ticker, etc, etc.

We are all frustrated, but surely not surprised. Collingwood are a good side, we're not, it's that simple.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Griggsy wrote:Pretty much it. It was a current top4 team against bottom 4. How many bottom 4 teams did we beat up when we were top4. Quite a few (and could have been more without defensive gameplay)
It's not about winning. Its about effort and some poise. We had effort but the skills were awful.

We were capable of a 5 goal loss at our best IMO, but failed badly.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
Griggsy wrote:Pretty much it. It was a current top4 team against bottom 4. How many bottom 4 teams did we beat up when we were top4. Quite a few (and could have been more without defensive gameplay)
It's not about winning. Its about effort and some poise. We had effort but the skills were awful.

F8irstly I dont agree about that. Thats just over one goal a qurater and look at the players we have out. Yep the pies had a few out but at the moment we have no depth. Well actually we have plenty of depth but they are all the same ability and that ability at the moment is short of AFL standard. Do you want me to tell you some of the classics on that thread last night.

Pathetic, disgracful, someone blames jack for taking advantage after weller was hit when all he did was get the handball from Ray, weak as piss, team lack belief, losing faith in the coach, is our coach stupid, Stanley runs away from the contest, someone wants players to ask Stanley are you a weak c***. I mean seriously. coach is a twit and it goes on and on.

Some people obviously get caught up with the game but I reckon some of those people are ones who during the week even know we are a bottom 3 side but just abuse the players and the club on game day. Look at the thread and there is a couple of serial posters. And Con I dont even get what your point is. Some of the stuuff you said last night was very ordinary and worst of all you keep telling us we are bottom 3 anyway and on top of that we have about 8 certain regulars out. I say be disappointed but please everyone be realistic. i said 2 or 3 weeks ago i doubt we can win another game and at the moment we would be outsiders in every single game. Watch and yell but dont tell us to sack the coach or we are as weak as piss.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I must be getting old but I agree with Plugger. It's mind boggling that any one thought that outcome was unlikely. I spoke to a coupl of Saints mates and we all thought with our outs we were up for a 100 point loss. The fact we were not completely out of it for periods of the match and a couple of players from outside our top 4 stars stood up was a positive for me.

Freo had a couple of really unlucky years with injury which really set up their current depth and found them a couple of good players. The pain hurts now but it's a bit like every big loss is closer to getting our choice of quality kids or putting us in a position to trade in a high quality kid from GWS or Goldy.

Remember we used to love beating up North melbourne where we would routinely beat up the North defence? Now the worm has turned. Melbourne have been missing a cohesive plan seeming to use some kind of scatter gun approach to list management, we at least seem to have something like a plan in place.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

I agree, we are a bottom three team, and we knew that at the start of the season. Fisher, Gilbert, Geary, Hickey, Gwilt, Wright, Templeton, and Armitage would be a little bit handy right now. Sadly, most of those injuries are long term. We don't play GWS or Brisbane again and we have the hardest draw of all teams for the remainder of the season. It looks like Delaney might miss a few and there's bound to be more injuries as the year goes on. If we win two more games it'll be commendable.

PJ
SS Life Member

So the question is should people use the game thread as a venting site for their frustrations?

Asking questions of the team, individual players,club, etc is perfectly acceptable. Idiotic abuse is not.

It really says more about the intellect and maturity of the individual posters. If you regret what you've written you should know better if you don't you should get help.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Johnny Favier
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:

F8irstly I dont agree about that. Thats just over one goal a qurater and look at the players we have out. Yep the pies had a few out but at the moment we have no depth. Well actually we have plenty of depth but they are all the same ability and that ability at the moment is short of AFL standard. Do you want me to tell you some of the classics on that thread last night.

Pathetic, disgracful, someone blames jack for taking advantage after weller was hit when all he did was get the handball from Ray, weak as piss, team lack belief, losing faith in the coach, is our coach stupid, Stanley runs away from the contest, someone wants players to ask Stanley are you a weak c***. I mean seriously. coach is a twit and it goes on and on.

Some people obviously get caught up with the game but I reckon some of those people are ones who during the week even know we are a bottom 3 side but just abuse the players and the club on game day. Look at the thread and there is a couple of serial posters. And Con I dont even get what your point is. Some of the stuuff you said last night was very ordinary and worst of all you keep telling us we are bottom 3 anyway and on top of that we have about 8 certain regulars out. I say be disappointed but please everyone be realistic. i said 2 or 3 weeks ago i doubt we can win another game and at the moment we would be outsiders in every single game. Watch and yell but dont tell us to sack the coach or we are as weak as piss.
100% agree.

I don't think we'll win another game this year, but it won't stop me going to our games and cheering the boys along as best as I can anyway.....it's called SUPPORTING your team!

We just have to hang tough and cop it on the chin in the meantime - the tide will turn, and maybe sooner than we think.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Oh the Pain..The PainImage

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

As pessimistic as this may sound but right now, I'm struggling to find a win next year too.
Again, it's a long painful wait until trade and draft time where we may get some hope.
For me, there were two positives last night, Shenton and Sipposs.
Let's hope Armitage's return next week is the beginning of getting some of our more senior players back that we seriously need so the kids can have a rest.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
wasaintsfan
Club Player

I'm probably one of those posters meantioned albeit I was smashed haha . Still You just hope for more than 5 plus goal loses each and every week. Rebuild or no rebuild. I know we aren't going to win many for next couple of years but just seeing the players show a little bit of pride and a little bit of fire out there is all one hopes to see

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Someone (Plugger66 I think) mentioned our lack of depth. Those dismissing our injuries by saying that the Pies had players out as well are conveniently ignoring the make up of our list. Along with GWS, Brisbane and Melb, we can least afford to have senior players injured. The bulk of our list is so young that they cannot withstand the physical demands of AFL for 22 rounds. They need to be rotated and we have lost that ability to be able to rotate youngsters in and out. I was laughing about it last night with a mate that our injury situation is so bad that rookies promoted due to LTI to other players were themselves now also on the LTI list !! We are on the bare bones of our list and have used more players this season than any other club!! There is no continuity as a team, there is injury interrupted preseasons/seasons for many players, and there is a massive imbalance in our list to begin with.

We are not playing as a team because we are not capable of doing that yet - there are too many holes to fill.

If any of you think you can do better, pull on a pair of boots. But the reason the more experienced teams are the better teams is because you need to train and play together, consistently, for a long time for everything to become instinctive. When you are under pressure it is your instinctive reactions that take over. You know where your teammates will be, defenders know who will roll off and who sill stay manned up, forwards know who will take off and run at 45.

A lot of our kids haven't been out there long enough to know anything yet, and yet they are being asked to carry the load of an experienced senior player, for some, less than 10 games into their career. Any poster who is being nasty over our players inability to deliver under those circumstances clearly needs to do something for themselves in their own lives, rather than having so much of their personal identity invested in our football club and its on field performances.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
maverick
Saintsational Legend

Completely agree with P66, what did we expect?
Happy to play the Pies full strength if we can have Fisher, Armo, Wright, Hickey, Gilbert and Geary in.
Four defenders in that lot by the way.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Difference between a 30-40 pt loss and a thrashing, is guys like Joey, Jones and Schneider all having stinkers.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Well I agree about the expectations of our team. Bottom three material and struggling with injuries. I'm also one of those that doesn't go off insulting the players. But some do, and so what? It says more about them (or their state of mind at that time?) than it does about the players. A game thread is like a footy crowd, you'll get emotional outbursts. Wouldn't want it censored down to allow only rational and polite discussion and hence exclude some fans from contributing.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
maverick
Saintsational Legend

Fair enough on game threads, and from kids, but surely we can all see where we are currently at.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

When you play lots of kids you struggle.....

When you play lots of kids..and you have many better players our injured such as last night (including some of your best new kids), you struggle more.

With access to the best young talent in the land, it has taken the Suns many years to get where they are.

We are on a slow journey, and not a quick one.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Part of what True Believer said :
But the reason the more experienced teams are the better teams is because you need to train and play together, consistently, for a long time for everything to become instinctive. When you are under pressure it is your instinctive reactions that take over. You know where your teammates will be, defenders know who will roll off and who sill stay manned up, forwards know who will take off and run at 45.
Agree - I was watching the running patterns of the Pies last night, when they moved the ball from their backline - they knew "precisely" where everyone was moving to and it looked very slick at times. Yes, unfortunately, we have a long way to go.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Here is a book for the sad sacks...

Last edited by saintsRrising on Sat 31 May 2014 1:53pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Be nice to see some of the other guys who have been at the club for a few years show a bit of leadership though.
Schneider, Dempster, Joey, Roo, and Lenny have all been there and done that. Ray and Jones have some brownie points as they have gotten the best out of themselves and given us good service. My bieggest gripe against Ray is that he could've kicked the winner against Brisbane and that may be our last chance to win a game.
Some of the guys who have played a few seasons like Milera and Stanley should be doing more. No way should either of them be there next year.
We have too many players coasting at the moment. Collingwood had most of their prime movers out last night don't forget - Ball, Swan and Maxwell all out injured, and we still get thrashed with players streaming up the field. Same thing happened against a below strength Adelaide. Same problems.
Hopefully we can get Gwilt and Fisher back soon, and maybe Gilbert, because I am getting the fear that we may experience a year like Melbourne had a few seasons back if we don't get some hard bodies down back soon. I have been going all year and staying 'til the bitter end too.
Freo better have an exit strategy when Rossy leaves the building...

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Darth Vader
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:Here is a book for the sad sacks...

Is that book the story of when Carlton tried to "merge" with us?