NEW Asst Coach !!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: NEW Asst Coach !!

saintspremiers wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
plugger66 wrote: Who is scoffing. listened to SEN all day as I do and then watched the news. Cant remember hardly any negative reports. heard a few on here though and we are saints supporters. As for opposition supporters wow. As if our supporters wouldnt give it to them if the shoe was on the other foot.
Well plugger, I have no first hand knowledge of just who is scoffing at us.

But The Fireman is talking about copping it from opposition supporters, and my post was on response to that. And to various reports of pathetic comments on social media.

As for our supporters "giving it to them if the shoe was on the other foot", you're probably absolutely correct.

But that is not my concern.

But you are concerned by opposition supporters having a go at us. Well many of my mates follow other clubs and not one has said a word to me and they know im a mad sainter. Even if they did have a go thats what supporters do. Shouldnt we be worried by the media and that it seems to me has been nearly 100% positive
Plugger I think Spacey was referring to past scandals and negative PR that our club normally gets. The overwhelming vibe of this event is all positive. Peta even was interviewed on the Today show this morning, and that's Sydney centric!

I actually think are totally wrong SP.

Legendary
Club Player

Cairnsman wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote: I know that Con. I just thought I'd throw out a hoary old chest nut to generate some discussion. Not mentioning any names (Legendary) but some people take themselves waaaay too seriously when it comes to certain social topics. It makes you wonder what is going on in their subconscious.
You refer to your comment as an "old chestnut" and don't think that any harm comes of "throwing it out there".

That's your view. But it's not how it comes across to many women, and it only serves to reinforce damaging stereotypes.

I've participated in unconscious bias training job, and there is a big focus in my industry comments like yours. If you're happy to see women continually unable to break into certain industries, be paid less than their male counterparts, and fail to progress to top level executive positions, then continue making such comments.

But if you want to contribute to efforts to get rid of the bias that still exists in many professions (including Australian Rules football), then think before you type.

If you don't take this issue seriously, you allow discriminatory behaviour to continue.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

But you are concerned by opposition supporters having a go at us. Well many of my mates follow other clubs and not one has said a word to me and they know im a mad sainter. Even if they did have a go thats what supporters do. Shouldnt we be worried by the media and that it seems to me has been nearly 100% positive
I'm not concerned by what they say....and you have many mates ?????? C'mon Pluggsy :wink:

One. Dr Spaceman.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Peta will be on AFL 360 this evening

Tues 3rd

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Legendary wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote: I know that Con. I just thought I'd throw out a hoary old chest nut to generate some discussion. Not mentioning any names (Legendary) but some people take themselves waaaay too seriously when it comes to certain social topics. It makes you wonder what is going on in their subconscious.
You refer to your comment as an "old chestnut" and don't think that any harm comes of "throwing it out there".

That's your view. But it's not how it comes across to many women, and it only serves to reinforce damaging stereotypes.

I've participated in unconscious bias training job, and there is a big focus in my industry comments like yours. If you're happy to see women continually unable to break into certain industries, be paid less than their male counterparts, and fail to progress to top level executive positions, then continue making such comments.

But if you want to contribute to efforts to get rid of the bias that still exists in many professions (including Australian Rules football), then think before you type.

If you don't take this issue seriously, you allow discriminatory behaviour to continue.
Sounds like you are a public servant? Am I right?

Legendary
Club Player

Why? Because I don't turn a blind eye to comments that undermine women?

I work in the private sector for a company with annual revenue of $350m+. I'm also a bloke.

I'm just interested in this issue - it is something that affects my wife, sister, mother and female colleagues.

There's no use with further discussion, I've made my point.

If you ever get the chance to attend some unconscious bias training, please say yes. It will amaze you that the small things that mean nothing to you can have a significant impact on those around you. It made me a better person and more understanding colleague.

I can only recommend it. Congratulations to our new assisstant coach and let's hope she does a great job for the club.

loris
Saintsational Legend

Legendary wrote:Why? Because I don't turn a blind eye to comments that undermine women?

I work in the private sector for a company with annual revenue of $350m+. I'm also a bloke.

I'm just interested in this issue - it is something that affects my wife, sister, mother and female colleagues.

If you ever get the chance to attend some unconscious bias training, please say yes. It will amaze you that the small things that mean nothing to you can have a significant impact on those around you. It made me a better person and more understanding colleague.

I can only recommend it. Congratulations to our new assisstant coach and let's hope she does a great job for the club.
Have really appreciated reading your posts throughout this thread Legendary :P You sound a bonzer bloke :wink:

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Legendary wrote:Why? Because I don't turn a blind eye to comments that undermine women?

"Unconscious bias training", I'll keep my eye out for any upcoming sessions, but seriously what this world needs is "give yourself an uppercut and harden the f*** up training".

Whilst it makes me laugh to hear there are such ridiculous events going on in this world it does make me also somewhat concerned that the human race is slowly but surely losing the plot.

Just funny. Just funny. :D :D

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

so how did you all feel Peta Presented

sounds like the news was going to be Monday.

but the media got hold so the hold of was- let us annunce..... then you can have your story...

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:so how did you all feel Peta Presented

sounds like the news was going to be Monday.

but the media got hold so the hold of was- let us annunce..... then you can have your story...
She was brilliant on 360 tonight. Understands why it's a big story and seems comfortable with the scrutiny. She'll be dealing with a lot of 18 yr old players with 18 years high school teaching experience. I think we've nailed it just quietly. A very experienced but still youngish ex school teacher developing kids who have just finished school themselves.

Is that not an obvious match or what? !

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Just quietly, I reckon Templeton would've been a naughty kid at school. Peta better watch out for him!

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Most women just cause trouble in the workplace with bitching, moaning and complaining about useless little details.

Not to mention the random emotional crap and the crying that ensures men having to pick up the slack because said female decided to get moody and have a cry because someone did not address her in the 'correct way'.

Maybe it is my industry I work in?

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

The Redeemer wrote:
Most women just cause trouble in the workplace with bitching, moaning and complaining about useless little details.

Not to mention the random emotional crap and the crying that ensures men having to pick up the slack because said female decided to get moody and have a cry because someone did not address her in the 'correct way'.

Are you involved in producing black and white tvs because that is how dated you sound

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

The Redeemer wrote: Most women just cause trouble in the workplace with bitching, moaning and complaining about useless little details.

You sound like you work in a very unprofessional industry then. IN my industry and workplace women are not remotely like what you describe.

Futhermore, I have never ever seen a woman colleague cry at work. Sounds like your "industry" requires an overhaul and a bit of professionalism

You are garbage - Enough said
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

The Redeemer wrote:

Whilst my wife would agree with you to a certain degree I am going to have to distance myself from your POV.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

I'd love to be a fly on the wall with the players after their first training session with Peta. Initially there might be a temptation to dismiss her not having played at the highest level of male AFL with the brutal physicality and speed that comes with that and therefore not really "getting it". As long as she keeps presenting useful, insightful, grounded ideas for how to play better footy I think they the players will come on board with her but there might be some resistance early.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
The Redeemer wrote: Most women just cause trouble in the workplace with bitching, moaning and complaining about useless little details.

You sound like you work in a very unprofessional industry then. IN my industry and workplace women are not remotely like what you describe.

Futhermore, I have never ever seen a woman colleague cry at work. Sounds like your "industry" requires an overhaul and a bit of professionalism
Corporate Finance and Trading.

It is seriously what happens and it is very frustrating from my end.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

The Redeemer wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:

Corporate Finance and Trading.

My first point stands, seems like your industry requires a huge dose of professionalism. You wouldn't last five minutes in my profession or Workplace with an attitude like that.

Maybe a culture and perspective shift is required? How would you go about that Redeemer? Do you reckon employing people of either sex with an adult level of maturity would be a start? Dont know your industry but it sound dreadful.

You are garbage - Enough said
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:I'd love to be a fly on the wall with the players after their first training session with Peta. Initially there might be a temptation to dismiss her not having played at the highest level of male AFL with the brutal physicality and speed that comes with that and therefore not really "getting it". As long as she keeps presenting useful, insightful, grounded ideas for how to play better footy I think they the players will come on board with her but there might be some resistance early.
I'd say if she is as astute and well versed in communications as has been reported then I'd say she knows she wouldn't be able to make too many demands in the "run through brick walls" area of the game. I'd guess her job description won't require her to either.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

The Redeemer wrote:Corporate Finance and Trading.

Probably worth getting a job in a real industry that actually adds value then. My two most recent senior management hires are both women and they're doing a sterling job.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
The Fireman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I'm not concerned by what they say....and you have many mates ?????? C'mon Pluggsy :wink:

One. Dr Spaceman.
Does he know about this ??? :shock: :shock: :)

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:I can remember when Grant Thomas took the players off to "community camps" giving clinics and interacting with locals around the State. Similarly, he introduced the concept of "leadership groups", the trips to South Africa and China were also groundbreaking in helping to bond the players. At the time, these concepts were ridiculed, and yet today are a part and parcel of the AFL. I've seen Ms Searle's profile on AFL TV and she comes across as honest, direct and knowledgeable. I for one, am happy to see the lady get the gig! Welcome aboard Peta! :)
Great move by the club and we need coaches like Peta that can help our young draftees adapt to the work ethic and professionalism of an AFL career.

Hopefully we stick to a plan to develop and nurture young talent just as Grant Thomas had planned

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2002/ ... 03090.html

But Thomas said the club had been brave in hanging on to its early picks.

"Make no mistake, the reason we've got the draft choices we have is because we've been shithouse, and that's what the system is there for," he said.

"But whereas a lot of clubs have given their early draft choices away, we've held our nerve. That means we've been belted (from) pillar to post with a young team in recent years."

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

bergholt wrote:
The Redeemer wrote:Corporate Finance and Trading.

Probably worth getting a job in a real industry that actually adds value then. My two most recent senior management hires are both women and they're doing a sterling job.
Hmmm real industry?

Two recent hires? Great sample space...

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Bunk_Moreland wrote:

No, we just make money and the women involved almost always go to s*** somehow.

I have seen women cry all of the time at work. Whether it is bringing problems to work or making problems at work. It is commonplace.

Professionalism? I don't think so.