2014 List Management - Draft & Trade Discussion

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: 2014 List Management - Draft & Trade Discussion

Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
I dont get your point but if it was where he was taken there was a reason. he was a zone pick.
I didnt actually know that.

But my main points are:

1. There is more to recruitment than the TAC cup and Victorian Under 18 sides.
2. Dont get too hung up on height for its own sake - 192cm is enough for a key fwd if the bloke is a good powerful player.

Now that i agree with but im sure every recruiter from every club also knows that. Doesnt really matter what is said on here because we dont have any say.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
james rose
Club Player

Anyone see any merit in picking up Kane Lucas at the end of the year if we can get him for a 4th or 5th round draft pick?

He has plenty of ability and fits into the age/experience bracket we could do with more of.

Would make our midfield next year look like this from an age (next year) perspective.

Hayes 35
Montagna 31
Jones 31
Ray 29
Armitage 26
Steven 25
Savage 24
Curren 23
Lucas 23
Weller 23
Newnes 22
Ross 22
Webster 22
Saunders 21
Markworth 21
Dunstan 20
Billings 19

Others I'd be considering.

Chris Masten from West Coast. 26 year old (next year) outside midfielder- worth a 3rd round pick for mine
Levi Greenwood from Kangaroos. 26 year old (next year) midfielder- will be hard to get- worth a 2nd round pick for mine
Sam Blease from Melbourne. 24 year old (next year) midfielder- worth a 3rd round pick for mine

My ideal situation from a midfielder viewpoint is this.

Out: Jones 31
In: Lucas 23, Greenwood 26 and Blease 24

Obviously to do this potentially we have to let someone of some value go for a draft pick as I would still want to take 3 picks. Not sure who this would be at this stage.

This would make my midfield (including wings) next year look like this.

Starting: Montagna 31, Ray 29, Armo 26, Greenwood 26 and Steven 25
Second sting: Hayes 35, Dunstan 20, Curren 23, Lucas 23 and Blease 24

With the following plus others as depth/flankers
Dunell 25
Savage 24
Weller 23
Newnes 22
Ross 22
Webster 22
Markworth 21
Saunders 21
Dunstan 20
Billings 19

Outside of the midfield I'd also expect to see the following changes at a minimum.

Outs: Jones, Dennis Lane, Simpkin, Maister, 2nd round draft pick, 3rd round draft pick, 5th round draft pick
Trade bait: Gilbert, Gwilt, Fisher
Ins: Key Position Forward (1st round pick), Draft picks for trade bait above (two inside first four rounds), 4th round draft pick, Lucas, Greenwood, Blease

Starting team next year.

FB: Dempster, Delaney, Geary
CHB: Shenton, Bruce, Newnes
C: Montagna, Greenwood, Ray
CHF: Billings, Stanley, Milera
FF: Siposs, Riewoldt, Schnieder

Ruck: Hickey, Steven, Armo
Bench: Blease, Dunstan, Hayes, Curren
Emergency: Eli, Longer, Lucas

End of that year Hayes, Schnieder, Ray all potentially in the gun.

Please note this was a brain dump so there could be mistakes in here.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

I don't think Lucas ticks the most important two boxes that we have;

Can win his own ball & kick the ball at an elite level.

Lucas needs to be given the pill then sprays it too often.

Masten is a pretty important part of WC's midfield... a 3rd round pick won't get him (& I wouldn't give up anything more...I personally don't rate him).

Greenwood is having somewhat of a resurgence at North but IMO is just another defensive mid (which we have plenty of).

Blease has some qualities (pace & goal kicking ability) but I don't think he adds much more than what Josh Saunders does.

Personally I'd rather keep Sam Gilbert than take any of the players that you have mentioned. He's a ten times better player despite his occasional clearing kicks into the tenth row.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Lachie Henderson might be worth a chat to, surely he's realised what a dick Malthouse is by now?

gringo
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:Lachie Henderson might be worth a chat to, surely he's realised what a dick Malthouse is by now?

he was supposedly who we were after when we got Mc evoy. I think Andrew Gaff would be worth looking at too.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

NO MORE 2ND GRADE cast offs please....!

If we are to recruit players from other clubs lets at least target players who have a real chance to become A Grade players.

We now have a highly functional and successful recruitment team after years of neglect and people still want to pick up other club cast offs. Surely now we are better off identifying and developing our own talent.

Our most recent cast off (Shane Savage) was thrown in with the McEvoy deal so he didn't cost us too much at the draft - but surely he is sufficient evidence of our success rates with these sort of players.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I would prefer to have a go at Jon O'Rourke from GWS. He was Pick 2 in 2012, so should be 21- by next season.

james rose
Club Player

WO: There is plenty of history to show that recruiting players from other clubs can be an effective strategy. Perhaps the examples I have suggested aren't ideal.

Our "highly functional and successful recruitment team" have shown an interest in recruiting in this way and not without success. For every Shane Savage they have picked up (who I think you are two quick to judge, he is still a young player) there is a Tom Hickey or Luke Delaney who will be a big part of this clubs future.

Border Barry: I agree but the cost for those sort of players may be too high.

Animal Enclosure: Fair enough, I remember Lucas as a junior with elite disposal, great running and an ability to accumulate possessions easily. Masten we agree on in terms of what we'd give up and Greenwood fair enough.

My basic premise was to add some depth and help for players such as Stevens and Billings with a player(s) around the 23-26 year old mark. Agree re the important box being disposal, disagree re the need for them all to be able to win their own ball, think we could do with a bit more outside run.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:NO MORE 2ND GRADE cast offs please....!

If we are to recruit players from other clubs lets at least target players who have a real chance to become A Grade players.

We now have a highly functional and successful recruitment team after years of neglect and people still want to pick up other club cast offs. Surely now we are better off identifying and developing our own talent.

Our most recent cast off (Shane Savage) was thrown in with the McEvoy deal so he didn't cost us too much at the draft - but surely he is sufficient evidence of our success rates with these sort of players.

The Savage analogy is like saying you put your hand out the window and it's dry so you know that it isn't going to rain today. Gaff and Orourke are different from Savage. Sav is an ex rookie listed player who we hoped would find some extra consistency when given more opportunity. JOR and Gaff were highly rated juniors who have shown enough to suggest they will at least be pretty solid. Membery even is probably less of a gamble even.

Any club that doesn't look at GWS and GCS for picking over is negligent. Dom Tyson should be enough to remind us why to look at least.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

We have no hope with GWS unless a player pleads to cpme to us and why would they, we havent even bottomed out yet. GWS will not want draft picks unless they have no choice.

lloyd21
Club Player

We have no hope with GWS unless a player pleads to cpme to us and why would they, we haven"t even bottomed out yet. GWS will not want draft picks unless they have no choice.[/quote]

I can in fact say : 3 GWS players want to come to Stkilda next year

3 Reasons

Their family & friends live in Victoria

They are not getting regular game

They will earn more long term

It is up to both clubs to get it done.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

lloyd21 wrote:We have no hope with GWS unless a player pleads to cpme to us and why would they, we haven"t even bottomed out yet. GWS will not want draft picks unless they have no choice.

I can in fact say : 3 GWS players want to come to Stkilda next year

3 Reasons

Their family & friends live in Victoria

They are not getting regular game

They will earn more long term

It is up to both clubs to get it done.[/quote]

And what would there names be? And when I typed that I was talking about regular players and not fringe players.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

From what I've heard, Dylan Shiel is one plugger, not sure of the other two.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:From what I've heard, Dylan Shiel is one plugger, not sure of the other two.

Well he gets regular games so i dont think that is guy lloyd was talking about. Never heard anywhere apart from here that he is interested. We also got told by one person Trelour wanted to come to us at the end of 2015 and then yesterday there is an article saying he will most certainly sign a longer deal. He would be great but how do we get him? Pick 1 may sound like a fair deal to us but its still my guess GWS would want players. And also is he worth pick one?

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Old Mate wrote:From what I've heard, Dylan Shiel is one plugger, not sure of the other two.

Well he gets regular games so i dont think that is guy lloyd was talking about. Never heard anywhere apart from here that he is interested. We also got told by one person Trelour wanted to come to us at the end of 2015 and then yesterday there is an article saying he will most certainly sign a longer deal. He would be great but how do we get him? Pick 1 may sound like a fair deal to us but its still my guess GWS would want players. And also is he worth pick one?
I posed the question to that guy that thought Treloar wanted to come to St Kilda that he may have been confusing him for Shiel.

lloyd21
Club Player

Old Mate wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I posed the question to that guy that thought Treloar wanted to come to St Kilda that he may have been confusing him for Shiel.

Nope 8-) not Shiel not Treloar

3 First round draft picks is I will say only mentioned because I saw comments saying why would they come. there the reasons above
8-) not inventing it either

lloyd21
Club Player

Old Mate wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

3 First round draft picks is ALL I will say only mentioned because I saw comments saying why would they come. there the reasons above

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

lloyd21 wrote:
Old Mate wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

3 First round draft picks is ALL I will say only mentioned because I saw comments saying why would they come. there the reasons above

Im sure you arent making it up but if you heard on any footy forum I reckon it has little or no chance of it being true. No idea why you cant mention names though.

FQF
SS Life Member

lloyd21 - this is a forum where we like to share ideas and information that we have. No one is interested in whether you have some connection to GWS players if that doesn't result in any inside info - I for one am not interested in how impressive your social group is. So please, if you have information that you want to share, then share it, but don't tease us with vague clues that provide you with a defence is your predictions are wrong.

Many people have come out with bold predictions or snippets of inside info that turned out to be wrong. That doesn't hurt your credibility as long as you information was reliable at the time. But playing guessing games is a useless contribution.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I really want one of Jarrod Pickett or Clem Smith .

We really need some outside pace and Pickett is lightening.

lloyd21
Club Player

[quote="FQF"]lloyd21 - this is a forum where we like to share ideas and information that we have. No one is interested in whether you have some connection to GWS players if that doesn't result in any inside info - I for one am not interested in how impressive your social group is. So please, if you have information that you want to share, then share it, but don't tease us with vague clues that provide you with a defence is your predictions are wrong.

Many people have come out with bold predictions or snippets of inside info that turned out to be wrong. That doesn't hurt your credibility as long as you information was reliable at the time. But playing guessing games is a useless contribution.

Done

site is all yours 8-)

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Lloyd lets have a go at your 3 -

Kristian Jaksch
Jono ORourke
James Stewart or Lachie Plowman

I believe Plowman is good mates with Markworth...

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:Lloyd lets have a go at your 3 -

Kristian Jaksch
Jono ORourke
Lachie Plowman

I believe Plowman is good mates with Markworth...
Those three make sense.

All first rounders, not getting a lot of game time, from Melbourne and out of contract. Unless lloyd is talking contracted players...

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

SEN/Inside footy have us taking Goddard at pick 4.

Interestingly they have us finishing ahead of the Tiges which I doubt will happen - but who knows with the Tiges.
Id laugh if they went for Wright. They would then have Hampson, Maric, Vickory,Wright and Orrenson running around.

For our needs - I would be seriously considering PIckett if we think we can snag a tall fwd from elsewhere. (Tiges also desperately need someone like Pickett).

http://www.sen.com.au/display-article-2 ... t-10/64946