Sam Reid (swans)

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Sam Reid (swans)

Kicked 3 today so far.
22yo
195cm

I know Pelchen said we are 2 years off going for unrestricted FA and I assume he is too young to be a FA anyway - but is there any way we could get him without using our top 20 picks?

Some people have tried to tell me he is similar to Stanley (tall and blonde) - but I vehemently disagree. Reid is a year younger and much better at footy than Stanley.

Just thinking Reid is probably a better bet than a kid in the draft and not much older anyways. We can then get some more quality mids in the draft.

Just a thought - but as I said hes only 22yo and has 70+ goals already.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Re: Sam Reid (swans)

A definite yes from me. We desperately need his kind. Why not go a bit earlier than the plan dictates. As Erwin Rommel famously said, "no plan survives contact". What would we have to give up and would the swines be willing to do the deal?

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
St Loxton
Club Player

Yes for me, has skills, co-ordination, youth and natural footy smarts, definatley the type we should be targeting. this year or next year.

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Would be handy pick-up for St Kilda, but completely unrealistic that we will get him.

The AFL will always ensure that Sydney gets and keeps good players, they are not required to adhere to the salary cap.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I suppose the bigger picture is - normally guys who are third fiddle like him would seek playing opportunities and $$ elsewhere but the Swans can probably afford to pay him fairly well to be a third fiddle with their cola (not huge dollars but hed be comfortable). You would assume we could still offer him more coin though. Long shot I guess. But I guess Pelchen would be looking at plenty of players/options/ideas.
Thats what makes the swans formidable - depth. If Buddy or Tippet go down they have Reid. They still have some ok players running around in the NEAFL.

citywest

I'd love to have him too but the Swans would not even entertain the idea for anything less than a top 10 pick, and a another pick inside the top 20. And there is no way that the Pelican would do this......and neither would I. If we could get him by trading Gilbert plus our 3rd round pick then I would jump at that.
Last edited by citywest on Sun 08 Jun 2014 7:10pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Great, we now have Reid and Fyfe and Henderson in our pockets.

Things are looking up.

You are garbage - Enough said
Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

citywest wrote:......and neither would I. If we could get him by trading Gilbert plus our 3rd round pick then I would jump at that.
lol why not ask for both Jacks to be thrown in as well?

Really Gilbert and a third rounder for Reid????? Would be steal of the century.

You are garbage - Enough said
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:I'd love to have him too but the Swans would not even entertain the idea for anything less than a top 10 pick, and a another pick inside the top 20. And there is no way that the Pelican would do this......and neither would I. If we could get him by trading Gilbert plus our 3rd round pick then I would jump at that.
Only Sydney forward you would get for 3rd rounder and Gilbert is an Irishman who shall remain nameless!

Richter
SS Life Member

Reid is a good player.

IMO we should use a pick 1 or 2 on either the best mid or a key forward. No point in getting a gun ruck, or key back... you can mould a team defence without having to use a high pick on a CHB. History also suggests that the top ruckmen can come from anywhere in the draft.

A worry that I have about the top Talls in this draft is that they all seem to have * on them. Wright - more of a ruckman than a key forward. McCartin - will he be tall enough at AFL level? The diabetes. Goddard - more of a backman than a forward? Durdin - ditto.

We could look at a trade scenario like the one that Melbourne did for their pick 2 last year.

Eg. Use pick 2 to pick up a good player from another team AND their 1st round pick.

So for Reid that would look like.... #1 or #2 <--------> Reid, #17ish

Of course he is not that good and their 1st round pick is likely to be too low... but you get my drift...

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Average players will come to us for opportunity. Bruce, Delaney. Will any "a" graders want to come and spend the next 3-4 years being beaten most weeks, playing in front of 15000 crowds and training at a café less Seaford? Not sure we're that attractive atm.

Seaford I'd not cafe less... And if any player went to a club for that reason, they'd be the reason the club was sh*t

People go to clubs, for the same reason they change jobs

Promotion, Opportunity for promotion and of course CASH

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Kicked 3 today so far.
22yo
195cm

I know Pelchen said we are 2 years off going for unrestricted FA and I assume he is too young to be a FA anyway - but is there any way we could get him without using our top 20 picks?

Some people have tried to tell me he is similar to Stanley (tall and blonde) - but I vehemently disagree. Reid is a year younger and much better at footy than Stanley.

Just thinking Reid is probably a better bet than a kid in the draft and not much older anyways. We can then get some more quality mids in the draft.

Just a thought - but as I said hes only 22yo and has 70+ goals already.
Reid
has 62 games and averaged
10 disp
3.9 marks
1 goal

Stanley
has 48 games and averaged
10 disp
4.4 marks
0.6 goals

The reason I brought up Stanley is pretty clear... Their numbers aren't that different at this stage considering Rhys has spent a season at full back.

Reid looked like a star early on and was given a 5 year deal... Since then he has been very disappointing.

Sydney spent a lot on Tippett & Franklin if Reid is going to be that good too.

Of course we'd take Reid, but not at the price he'll be if he's available at all.

FQF
SS Life Member

Logic suggests that Sydney went hard after Tippett and Franklin with disproportionately large contracts because they felt they needed forwards. Why would they have chased Franklin over a gun midfielder if they thought their forward line was as good as can be? Aside from Ablett, Franklin's contract would have almost enticed any player in the league.

Obviously you'll never hear anyone from Sydney come out and admit that Reid was anything less than a crucial cog - a "required player" - but they can easily cover him, and they would happily trade him for a fair swap that serves their interests.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Seaford I'd not cafe less... And if any player went to a club for that reason, they'd be the reason the club was sh*t

People go to clubs, for the same reason they change jobs

Promotion, Opportunity for promotion and of course CASH
Guys in their early 20s don't usually change jobs to a place which requires them to live a long way from the action, especially if they've got other options.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

What action.

Going to a cafe?

I didn't know one couldn't drive to Seaford in 45 mins from the City, 35-40 from Brighton, 30 from sandringham/Black Rock?
Even go the other way, if they like the Surf or Golf
30mins from Rosebud, Rye, Dromana?
Maybe the exquisite views of Daveys Bay, Mornington, Mt Martha... Although They'd struggle to afford much there?
Maybe they like the eastern suburbs or the Dandenongs... 30mins down Eastlink

More to life than living in overpriced dog boxes in continual traffic congestion?

Hawks travel to Waverley
Dees to Casey
Bombers to Tullamarine
Geelong... Well? Sleepy Hollow
Western Suburbs YUCK

I didn't know people couldn't drive in their twenties?

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Apart from Mumford, when was the last time they lost a decent player to another club?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Richter wrote:Reid is a good player.

IMO we should use a pick 1 or 2 on either the best mid or a key forward. No point in getting a gun ruck, or key back... you can mould a team defence without having to use a high pick on a CHB. History also suggests that the top ruckmen can come from anywhere in the draft.

A worry that I have about the top Talls in this draft is that they all seem to have * on them. Wright - more of a ruckman than a key forward. McCartin - will he be tall enough at AFL level? The diabetes. Goddard - more of a backman than a forward? Durdin - ditto.

We could look at a trade scenario like the one that Melbourne did for their pick 2 last year.

Eg. Use pick 2 to pick up a good player from another team AND their 1st round pick.

So for Reid that would look like.... #1 or #2 <--------> Reid, #17ish

Of course he is not that good and their 1st round pick is likely to be too low... but you get my drift...
Reid's kicking is an issue, he'd be right at home at the Saints.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:I didn't know people couldn't drive in their twenties?
Not really advisable to drive home at 3am on a Saturday night - that's the "action" I was referring to.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

I dont know a heap about AFL footy but I reckon I know one thing. Where we train means Jack if we can convince for other reasons. Reid, who knows but what I do know id dont fall for the Lee trick. If we have pick one or two we need to get a player who is at least worth pick 3 or 4 even if we get pick 18 as a swap. Sides only improve through stars. The question needs to be asked is Reid a star. My opinion is Im unsure but dont fall for the second pick making the difference.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Hey Con, you always wheel out this chestnut… :D

How were Taylor Walker, Kurt Tippett & both Riewoldts performing at Sam's age?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:Hey Con, you always wheel out this chestnut… :D

How were Taylor Walker, Kurt Tippett & both Riewoldts performing at Sam's age?
All pretty good I think :-)

Nah Im just opening up the discussion a bit wider than only talking about McCartin Wright Goddard.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

No worries mate, we need all the chat we can get to distract us from the current reality.

I thought Reid was going to be a superstar when I first saw him, but I reckon he might lack some of the killer instinct like our mates Stanley & Lee. Has all the tools though.