1st round picks this draft

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

PurpleHayes
Club Player

1st round picks this draft

I think we will see another controversial trade to net another first round draft pick this season.

Montagna has been linked to Essendon. I wouldn't be surprised if Hawthorn, Fremantle, Sydney would be interested given they are 'challenging' right now. All of those sides will have late first round picks to offer.

One of Armo and Gilbert could be headed to Brisbane or GC.
Brisbane have a lot of kids and lack 'middle aged' experience. Armo and Gilbert could fill that void.
GC have enough high draft picks and with them challenging for the finals, surely they can afford to offload a draft pick to 'top up' their talent with an established player.

The only other one I can see is Stanley who was linked closely to Port Adelaide in the off-season. Highly unlikely we'd net a first rounder for him, but perhaps an upgrade of picks. Ie Stanley and our 2nd round (21) to Port for their 1st (18) and 2nd (38) round picks.

Also expect us to thrown in our 3rd or 4th round picks into a deal (perhaps Montagna) as we will likely not use those picks on new players. Any rookie upgrades we will use very late picks.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Re: 1st round picks this draft

It's a sale down at Seaford.

Anyone with ability, out the door... We've got Montagna's, Gilbert's, we've got Armitage, We've got inside and outside Mids

It's a rebuild clearance sale!!!

Come on down to Seaford, you'll find a bargain, just the player you're looking for...

Then... A couple of Testimonials From Hawthorn, Dal and Co.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Slight change of subject but under the Australian consumer law there are 'lemon laws'. Would we be able to return Savage for a refund ? :D :D

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Slight change of subject but under the Australian consumer law there are 'lemon laws'. Would we be able to return Savage for a refund ? :D :D
He was only the steak knives part of the deal that eventually gave us an extra 2 top 20 draft pick that included the Franklin compensation pick. Hopefully during the next trade period we avoid
collecting another list clogger.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:Slight change of subject but under the Australian consumer law there are 'lemon laws'. Would we be able to return Savage for a refund ? :D :D
He was only the steak knives part of the deal that eventually gave us an extra 2 top 20 draft pick that included the Franklin compensation pick. Hopefully during the next trade period we avoid
collecting another list clogger.
Steak knives - slighty blunt set. Going cheap. Get down to Seaford.....

Munga
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:It's a sale down at Seaford.

Anyone with ability, out the door... We've got Montagna's, Gilbert's, we've got Armitage, We've got inside and outside Mids

Come on down to Seaford, you'll find a bargain, just the player you're looking for...

Hell, even Seaford is for sale! We're KERRRRAZY!!

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Munga wrote:
BigMart wrote:It's a sale down at Seaford.

Hell, even Seaford is for sale! We're KERRRRAZY!!
FORGET KEN BRUCE
GEOFF SHAW HAS GONE COMPLETELY MAD
thats right folks - one used and slightly deranged politician is selling himself. Get down the Peninsula Link and MAKE A BID. All STOCK MUST GO. THIS SALE WONT LAST!

PurpleHayes
Club Player

Anyone got any better ideas how to turn around the list and fast?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

PurpleHayes wrote:Anyone got any better ideas how to turn around the list and fast?

No its clearly the best idea but it doesnt stop the same people bag the club and when asked what they would do they hide until another thread presents the opportunity to bag the club.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

It's an idea that has won how many premierships?

Trading, recruiting and drafting wins premierships... Not a mass exodus?!

We lose three more core or better players.... The losing some of the young players will suffer... Will not be beneficial to their career.

A 35yo Lenny (apparantly the only untouchable) can't be expected to carry an entire team.

We lose Joey and Armitage.... Then have two injuries in the midfield .... We might lose by 200 points

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:It's an idea that has won how many premierships?

We lose three more core or better players.... The losing some of the young players will suffer... Will not be beneficial to their career.

A 35yo Lenny (apparantly the only untouchable) can't be expected to carry an entire team.

We lose Joey and Armitage.... Then have two injuries in the midfield .... We might lose by 200 points

I dont think he is suggest all go. His first line says we mayy see a controversial trade to net us a first pick and then he gives examples of those that may do that. I dont think anyone wants them all to go. I suppose its just like when you suggested some trades, most of the same he has by the way apart from Joey, and then said you didnt expect them all to happen. Basically its what you previously said plus Joey. It shouldnt seem to radical to you because you basically said the same thing.

GoMilney

I think we are dreaming if we think we are going to get first round draft picks for any of our players - more likely second or third round picks. Armitage to Brisbane why would Brisbane give up a likely fourth pick for Armitage? Joey to Sydney - the Swans are going to struggle to fit any trade into their bulging salary cap let alone the money Joey would be on now. The GC already have bulging and developing talent in their midfield led by the best player in the competition. The only guy I could see a club given us a first rounder for would be Jack Steven and why would we trade him. I really can't see how Pelchen is going to get 3 picks in the top 20.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Crows 97-98?

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I notice that as a result of the interstate under 18 games to date, the top 10 or even the top 20 is not as set as it was with a number of players previously out of contention putting their hands up and having good games.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:

I dont think he is suggest all go. His first line says we mayy see a controversial trade to net us a first pick and then he gives examples of those that may do that. I dont think anyone wants them all to go. I suppose its just like when you suggested some trades, most of the same he has by the way apart from Joey, and then said you didnt expect them all to happen. Basically its what you previously said plus Joey. It shouldnt seem to radical to you because you basically said the same thing.
Both quotes above are correct. If we get rid of all our experience we are f***ed for a decade. Even one more mid like Joey and Armo and we may have a worse year next year than this year.

Anyway it is moot, nobody will give up a 1st rounder for any of our players with currency. MacEvoy was the last we had.

You are garbage - Enough said
falka
Club Player

The only way to a first rd pick is to trade our 2nd rd pick eg 22 and a player for say 15. But sounds like a lottery so 7 picks difference may end up the same player, plus we lose mate handy player for no reason.

Only hope is Longer playing unreal and we trade him or Hickey, but I can't see that happening.

What about pick 22 and 40 for pick 15? Cats may do that?

Best hope is priority pick at end of 2015 if we go winless from rd 5 2014 to rd 22 2015

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

falka wrote:The only way to a first rd pick is to trade our 2nd rd pick eg 22 and a player for say 15. But sounds like a lottery so 7 picks difference may end up the same player, plus we lose mate handy player for no reason.

Only hope is Longer playing unreal and we trade him or Hickey, but I can't see that happening.

What about pick 22 and 40 for pick 15? Cats may do that?

Best hope is priority pick at end of 2015 if we go winless from rd 5 2014 to rd 22 2015
I think we would have to trade our 3rd rounder. 38 or whatever it is and a player to get 16 or so.

Agree it is pointless to just swap 21 for 16 but 38 for 16 and keep 21 then yes that is worth losing a player imo.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

The only way I can see to get two first-rounders - if that is what we want - is an NBA-style trade. Pick 1 for picks 11 and 16, or something like that. Might make sense for GC if they can get a first-rounder for one of their kids and for some reason they desperately want Wright. Not completely ridiculous but pretty unlikely.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
Both quotes above are correct. If we get rid of all our experience we are f***ed for a decade. Even one more mid like Joey and Armo and we may have a worse year next year than this year.

Anyway it is moot, nobody will give up a 1st rounder for any of our players with currency. MacEvoy was the last we had.
If we dont draft well we are f*cked for a decade and noone is suggesting we get rid of all of our experience.

Only if all of the following took place could we be said to 'do a Melbourne'

1. Get rid of all players over 30 (including Roo, Joey, Jones, Dempster, Hayes)
2. Armo (Mclean), Geary (Moloney), Gilbert (Rivers), Dunstan (Thompson) all leave the club
3. Billings (Scully) goes to GWS for cash
4. We name Acres and Newnes co-captains in 2015 (trengove/grimes)
5. We get a coach like Neeld with nfi
6. We spend 10% of our entire salary cap on a key fwd who unfortunately never plays at all (Clark)

So yes - if ALL those things happen - ALL of them - then you can whinge that we have done a Melbourne.

And FWIW - forget Melbourne - other clubs will now start referring to 'doing a St Kilda' - which means not developing young players and not turning over your list and hanging on to your old players way past their prime because you cant let go of your almost success.

Less worrying about 'doing a Melbourne' and more worrying about facing the cold hard facts of where we are right now.
We are bottom (or very close to bottom) so not quite sure where people think we really are at.

noob
Club Player

I think a gradual of decent young talent coming through might be enough if we end up bring quality free agency players. Why would you wait until 2016 for FA? Wouldn't you get someone decent say next year to improve success quicker. Although Sydney have brought in the likes of Franklin and Tippet they've drafted well without having top 10 picks.

hungry for a premiership
Club Player

PurpleHayes wrote:I think we will see another controversial trade to net another first round draft pick this season.

Montagna has been linked to Essendon. I wouldn't be surprised if Hawthorn, Fremantle, Sydney would be interested given they are 'challenging' right now. All of those sides will have late first round picks to offer.
I must say that the thought has occured to me, once or twice, that the reason they gave joey a 3-year contract at the end of last season may have been with the intention of getting more value out of him for a potential trade at the end of this season. Certainly, he appears to be playing for 'stats' in lots of ways, which always look great on paper and add to value.... I thought Essendon don't have any 1st round picks to offer for monty due to the peptide penalties.. would we trade him for a pick in the late 20's? I think we would because thats the move that fits pelicans list management strategy, even though he's a bona fide a-grade midfielder and anything less than a 1st rounder would be paying unders for him imo

"Too big, too strong, too whatever."
PurpleHayes
Club Player

Hard to see us letting go of the no 1 or 2 pick, but we've seen Melbourne use pick # 2 wisely with the Tyson / pick#9 trade.

Just putting it out there as an idea. Say Patton really wanted to come home and there are some question marks on his durability, would GWS take another #1 or # 2 pick to draft another key forward and give us Patton and their 1st round round compensation pick which would likely be pick 19 or 20.
GWS are only going to use 3 picks I'd imagine? That would give them say pick 1, pick 2 and their 2nd round pick, #22? SO no real difference for them anyway by losing that compensation draft pick.

I haven't seen enough of Patton to comment? IS he good enough or does he have enough upside for us to risk that trade?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

PurpleHayes wrote:Hard to see us letting go of the no 1 or 2 pick, but we've seen Melbourne use pick # 2 wisely with the Tyson / pick#9 trade.

Just putting it out there as an idea. Say Patton really wanted to come home and there are some question marks on his durability, would GWS take another #1 or # 2 pick to draft another key forward and give us Patton and their 1st round round compensation pick which would likely be pick 19 or 20.
GWS are only going to use 3 picks I'd imagine? That would give them say pick 1, pick 2 and their 2nd round pick, #22? SO no real difference for them anyway by losing that compensation draft pick.

I haven't seen enough of Patton to comment? IS he good enough or does he have enough upside for us to risk that trade?

I certainly wouldnt even get near giving the number 1 or 2 pick for Patton even with 20 or so in return. he may have been a number one pick but as yet hasnt done enough to stay number IMO. The other thing I keep saying is GWS just cant continuing to get picks for players. They need players. Getting rid of 3rd year players for unproven players wont help them up the ladder real soon. Im happy to trade pick one or two but I just dont reckon that trade can get done.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

"But Theres more"

citywest

A good move for us it to trade Joey plus our third round pick (which I'm guessing would be somewhere around pick 38) for pick 20 or under. Would another club do this? I think a top 4 club would.