Where do our 3 top 20 picks come from this year??

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Re: Where do our 3 top 20 picks come from this year??

remboy wrote:
True Believer wrote:Can someone point me to where Pelchen's quote is regarding wanting 3 top twenty picks this year? I recall that last year, and a statement about wanting to increase our first round picks by "50% over the next three years" or something similar to that, but I honestly reckon I missed where he has said we are after another 3 top twenty picks this year......

Where has that "quote" come from ?
I went back and looked at the comments from those who were at the platinum members event last year and on that occasion Pelchan said we wanted 4 top 20 picks over the next three years (which included last years draft/trade period).
Since we got 3 last year he might not want any extra this year.
I think he may have changed his mind on that given how bad we are..

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

I know these guys aren't worth first rounders, but we could chuck them in the get upgrades. Anyway...

Can we have all of Ross, Armo, Weller, Curren and Dunstan in the same midfield going forward?

Dunstan clearly untouchable, Armo is that solid, experienced mid - Ross/Weller hitting their straps and TC showing signs too.

BUT, can we play all of them in the same team? I know Lenny is impossible to replace, but we might find a trade of one of these guys could be just the sweetener that another team like GWS needs (and its a trade the I can't see hurting us too much compared to say, losing a STEVEN type)

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

our picks are probably going to be 1. 20. 37. (Essendon dont have pick in lst or 2nd round). 55. 73. 91. Although there may be further draft pick losses by Essendon yet.
If GWS end up 14th which I expect, same as GC last season, we could maybe trade pick one to them for pick 5 and a player, or pick 19 and a better player. Seeing how they are having to cut their list down from 48, they are not going to want many picks this year, so would not take much for them for throw in their 3rd round pick etc, and their N.T. selection.
There are a lot more possible trade outcomes with GWS than any other team this year.

lloyd21
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
citywest wrote:Below is my post from another thread but I thought it would be appropriate for this thread as well......

Firstly when was the last gun taken in the PSD and secondly I reckon lenny may play on. Tall early to call on Sam Fisher as well but in a little trouble and we cant just pick who we trade players to. However a couple of young players will go so you could get your wish on the numbers that will be delisted.

8-) pretty handy players out of Psd: Michael Hibberd Tom Bellchambers Daniel Bradshaw Bachar Houli

Even Dawson fills important role in Freo set up.

The big difference with additional 2 new teams is they have parked talent but won't be able to hold on to 27 1st rounders plus
Academy plus all the Northern Territory kids.

whether saints get them or someone else we will see
plus a Fire sale will happen at Swans due to COLA.

Rosco
Club Player

GWS will have their pick plus an end of round 1 - say 3 & 19

Gold Coast will have their pick plus a compo after Geelong's - say 10 & 14

I'd take those GWS picks in a heartbeat for pick 1 if it remains that there is no standout #1 prospect

Gold Coast's picks = not enough

Would also consider pick 3 plus a previous 1st round mid from GWS

However, GWS might not have any incentive to upgrade 3 to 1 by spending #19 or a player; if pick 1 is to be a big guy then they probably don't need it

PurpleHayes
Club Player

Ok so here's a way to get us another top 10 pick and a bit if a trade/draft strategy leading into 2015.

Fisher to GWS for pick #38.
GWS need players and if they only use 3 picks in the draft they won't need that pick.
Fisher has hasn't played this year, not sure he is any good at teaching the young fellas. In reality, Delaney and Bruce are our two main backs with Gilbert the 3rd tall. No need for fisher.

Stanley, Milera and pick #38 to Port Adelaide for pick #18.
Port are genuinely challenging and I think they need depth rather than another youngster.
Stanley gives them a ruck/fwd back up.
Milera has expressed interest heading back to Adelaide and provides ready made small fwd/half forward back up.
Hopefully ken is kind to his ol mate richo a bit like when Roos helped out Lyon with Schneider and dempster.

Montagna and pick #39 to Essendon for pick #19
Trade him while he still has currency. Bombers want more midfield class.
Just needs to be done if we want to secure new talent in the draft whilst we have something to offer.
Risk equals reward here.

Picks 18, 19 and 21 to Adelaide for pick #9, jarrod Lyons and pick 44.
Adelaide need picks after they lost 2 drafts worth of first rounders with the tippet incident. This enables them to make up for it in one trade and doesn't stunt their talent development. Pick 44 they won't use potentially as they'll have 18, 19, 21 and 27. (Assuming they only use 4 picks)
Lyons isn't getting a game and he's a Melbourne boy, we might as well get him as steak knives and see how he goes with more opportunity.

That leaves us with 1, 9 and 44 In the draft with later picks used for rookie upgrades.
Pick 1 - Wright or McCartin.
Pick 9 - Lever or Goddard would be nice, otherwise it'll be another good mid.
Would be great to land two quality talls, a bit like the ROO/kozzy draft that helped mould our spine for the next 10 years etc..
Pick 44 - use on a slider, Lonie, Langdon, Wigg or Johansson (only 171cm may get overlooked). Or a key forward not getting a game, say Membrey (trade with swans)

I say we then upgrade Weller and Shenton.
Eli stays on the rookie list - plenty of time for him to develop. Given our injury history he'll probably get promoted next year anyway.

PSD pick 1 let's grab Griffiths from Richmond. He comes straight in as a replacement for Stanley/maister.
Ahmed Saad gets picked up as a replacement for Milera and goes into the forward pocket role straight away assuming all else is even with his form, fitness etc..

That's leaves us with 9 spots on the list to make room for pick 1, pick 9, pick 44 or Membrey eg, Saad, Weller upgrade, Shenton upgrade, Saad, Lyons, Griffiths.

Out
Montagna - traded
Fisher - traded
Stanley - traded
Milera - traded
Jones - delisted. Hand over the tagging role to Weller/curren who are younger and more upside.
Sippos - replaced by Membrey. Maybe rookie list him. I just think if he had the potential he would have been given more games by Richo?
TDL - delisted.
Maister - delisted
Schneider - retired. Body just isn't not up to the rigours of AFL. Has hardly played a game in 3 seasons ?

Starting 22 for round 1, 2015.
B Geary Delaney Gilbert
HB Webster Bruce Wright
C Ray Hayes Lyons/Savage
HF Weller Riewoldt Billings
F Saad Griffiths Membrey
Foll Hickey Armo Steven
Int Acres Dunstan Newnes Ross/Curren

Or the alternative is we don't trade with Adelaide and go into the draft with 1, 18, 19, 21, 56.
(Vs 1, 9, 44, 56 and Jarrod Lyons)

We are recycling a few players above, but you know what - we have the luxury of being able to give players an opportunity at the moment and we have to take some risks to hopefully unearth a few players who could play long term for us. Our whole team isn't going to be first round draft picks, so we have to be smart and creative. Eg Ray, Dempster, Weller trades/recruits have worked well. (And there have obviously been others that havnt)

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

lloyd21 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
citywest wrote:Below is my post from another thread but I thought it would be appropriate for this thread as well......

Firstly when was the last gun taken in the PSD and secondly I reckon lenny may play on. Tall early to call on Sam Fisher as well but in a little trouble and we cant just pick who we trade players to. However a couple of young players will go so you could get your wish on the numbers that will be delisted.

8-) pretty handy players out of Psd: Michael Hibberd Tom Bellchambers Daniel Bradshaw Bachar Houli

Even Dawson fills important role in Freo set up.

The big difference with additional 2 new teams is they have parked talent but won't be able to hold on to 27 1st rounders plus
Academy plus all the Northern Territory kids.

whether saints get them or someone else we will see
plus a Fire sale will happen at Swans due to COLA.

What i meant by gun is a proven gun or a player who has played very well before the PSD. Last may have been Powell or Voss to us. Yep we might get a young guy who becomes a star but anyone in the PSD can get a player like that. Finishing last doesnt help in that regard. Those players you mentioned could have been taken by anyone in the national draft.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

love your work purple hayes!

#1 Ryder fan
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

PurpleHayes wrote:Ok so here's a way to get us another top 10 pick and a bit if a trade/draft strategy leading into 2015.
Great post! Not sure how plausible it is but great work on it.
PurpleHayes wrote:Fisher to GWS for pick #38.
GWS need players and if they only use 3 picks in the draft they won't need that pick.
Maybe. Feels like they're overpaying a bit, I suppose it could possibly work. But don't they still need to reduce their list? Will they really be trading for more players?
PurpleHayes wrote:Stanley, Milera and pick #38 to Port Adelaide for pick #18.
Plausible. Weighted in our favour as neither Stanley or Milera have any real value on their own. If they think they're seriously in contention then you never know what might happen. But given Port's recent success rate with early picks I'd think they'd want to keep the production line rolling.
PurpleHayes wrote:Montagna and pick #39 to Essendon for pick #19
Great! I'd do that deal but I'm not sure if Essendon would. They'd need to think they were in contention soon to trade for a 30+ year old. Current ladder position suggests they'd get more value from a top-20 pick.
PurpleHayes wrote:Picks 18, 19 and 21 to Adelaide for pick #9, jarrod Lyons and pick 44.
Unbalanced. Unless Lyons is a future Brownlow winner, we lose too much here. Picks around 20 are still valuable as we showed last year. If we want Lyons wouldn't we just trade one of the picks and still end up with two solid picks and a player? Rather than one good pick and the player? We need weight of numbers at the moment, I'd far prefer 18+19 than 9 on its own. I think this one is just a bit overcomplicated.
PurpleHayes wrote:That leaves us with 1, 9 and 44 In the draft with later picks used for rookie upgrades.
Seems like a weak position to me, considering we gave up four players to get there and only got one back. That said I don't know anything about the depth of the draft and who we'd pick.
PurpleHayes wrote:PSD pick 1 let's grab Griffiths from Richmond. He comes straight in as a replacement for Stanley/maister.
I don't know much about him but his stats say that he's 200cm and averages about 3 marks and half a goal per game. Not impressive. Seems to be playing in the ruck? Last thing we need is another 200cm guy who's better in the ruck than up forward.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:I know these guys aren't worth first rounders, but we could chuck them in the get upgrades. Anyway...

Can we have all of Ross, Armo, Weller, Curren and Dunstan in the same midfield going forward?

Dunstan clearly untouchable, Armo is that solid, experienced mid - Ross/Weller hitting their straps and TC showing signs too.

BUT, can we play all of them in the same team? I know Lenny is impossible to replace, but we might find a trade of one of these guys could be just the sweetener that another team like GWS needs (and its a trade the I can't see hurting us too much compared to say, losing a STEVEN type)
players get hurt, drop form or need a rest...so afaic, they are all required players....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Rosco
Club Player

jarrod lyons named this week for the crows

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

According to todays twitter exchanges with Pelchan he said they want to increase our picks by 50% over the first three rounds. Nothing mentioned in regard to the top 20.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
Rosco
Club Player

first three rounds? not sure how you get 4.5 picks in that span?

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Ruckmen have value to some clubs. We have 2 promising types in Hickey & Longer. Last year Hawthorn gave up a 1st round draft pick + a player for McEvoy. I reckon Pelchan would do it again with Hickey or Longer.

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
remboy wrote:
plugger66 wrote: Firstly when was the last gun taken in the PSD
David Strooper.

Apart from him.
Tom Rockliff from Brissy

The Saints are coming!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

True Blue Sainter wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
remboy wrote:
plugger66 wrote: Firstly when was the last gun taken in the PSD
David Strooper.

Apart from him.
Tom Rockliff from Brissy

I dont think you are getting what i am saying. people are suggesting we grab a gun in the PSD who remains uncontracted. it just doesnt happen apart from David Strooper. I would be pretty sure Tom Rockliff could have been taken in the national draft. He became a gun just like rookie players do but he was available to everyone.

Saint wagga
Club Player

Toy Saint wrote:Ruckmen have value to some clubs. We have 2 promising types in Hickey & Longer. Last year Hawthorn gave up a 1st round draft pick + a player for McEvoy. I reckon Pelchan would do it again with Hickey or Longer.
Agree, ruckman have trade value, but Ben had 80+ games under his belt...It will take roughly 3-5 seasons for any of our ruckman to get that many games under their belt from were they are at the moment. I don't think other clubs would offer up much for green ruckman, even with potential, because they probably back themselves to do the same development of their own from scratch...Certainly, in 2-3 years of say a Hicky or Longer have 50+ games under their belt and are showing solid form, they will have better trade currency, and that probably coincides with us starting to be more competitive and bringing in mature talent to complemnet the list IMO...thoughts...

gringo
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:I know these guys aren't worth first rounders, but we could chuck them in the get upgrades. Anyway...

i think Pelchen did it at the Hawks too. You bring in a heap of similar types play them to find the good ones and then move on to the next type. I would say we have in and under mids covered and rucks. Milera, TDL, Saad etc were so far a bit of a bomb but still time for one to come good. Rebound backs, Roberton, Shents, Wright, Murdoch, maybe even Saunders.
Tall backs probably need one more for back up but Delaney and Bruce so far.

Tall forwards White, Lee....and the next crop.

Utilities are pretty solid too. Forwards and outside classy mids look like the glaring gaps. Someone like Pickett would be nice with our second pick on top of Wright/ Mc Cartin/ Durdin. I still am very excited by Petracca. Just think he could be the Dangerfield of the draft.

Anyway if we play those guys into some form they could be worth a high trade value. GWS have an abundance of KPs.