TDL. What is a pass mark for Sunday?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

TDL. What is a pass mark for Sunday?

If he's not the sub then not getting subbed out (injuries aside).

If he cracks 10 possessions it would be a top effort.

If he gets two games in a row that would be a pass for him.

Bottom of the barrel playing this bloke, but that's where we are at.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: TDL. What is a pass mark for Sunday?

3 goals

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
bigballs
Club Player

If he plays predominantly forward he'd need to kick a couple at least.

Total number of disposals/possessions is irrelevant, as long as he shows effort, has an influence in some way and does his job, he'll get another crack next game.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

12-15 touches, 2 goals & 3 tackles !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

Saint wagga
Club Player

To be honest... I'll be hoping we win but that TDL has a stinker!! Surely this guy is a list clogger!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why he is getting a game instead of one of our hard at it young mids like Saunders, curren or Murdoch is just beyond me...this selection really tests the patience

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Saint wagga wrote:To be honest... I'll be hoping we win but that TDL has a stinker!! Surely this guy is a list clogger!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why he is getting a game instead of one of our hard at it young mids like Saunders, curren or Murdoch is just beyond me...this selection really tests the patience
This!

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
stinger
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:3 goals
2 goals would be a pass mark...anything more a bonus....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Saint wagga wrote:To be honest... I'll be hoping we win but that TDL has a stinker!! Surely this guy is a list clogger!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why he is getting a game instead of one of our hard at it young mids like Saunders, curren or Murdoch is just beyond me...this selection really tests the patience

i think the ones you mention are all keepers.....with curran a maybe.......think the coach just wants one more look at the list cloggers before possibly stamping their papers for good......

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

He needs to kick goals not behinds.

He's kicked 31.12 for Sydney and 9.9 for us including 0.3 in his last game which we lost by less than a goal. You can't play as an opportunist forward if you don't take your opportunities.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Watts the Buzz
Club Player

I wish some of you guys would cut him some slack; he's played some really good games for Sandy this year and probably would have been in the team earlier if he hadn't been injured. He doesn't get a lot of possies but is a real opportunist who find the goals on a regular basis normally kicking his 2 - 3 goals per game. I sometimes think that we are unfairly, even if subconsciously, comparing him to Milney who was close to a once in a generation player for a goalsneak. Give TDL a break, if he's not good enough, I trust the guys at the top to make the right decisions at the end of the year.

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

It's not just about stats. He has to have some presence, offensively and defensively. He needs to get involved, regardless of whether he kicks goals himself or helps set them up for someone else.
I think the reason TDL and Dunnell have been picked ahead of Saunders, Murdoch and Curren is simply to have a look at them to figure out if they're up to it. If not they're gone. They are pretty much on their last chance.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Thing is he can and quite possibly will kick a couple and do nothing for the rest of the game. That imo is not a pass mark as it's the off the ball stuff that needs to happen for a small forward spot. So it's not the number of touches he gets or the goals he kicks that I would be marking him on - unless of course he kicks a dozen!

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
saintfox
Club Player

For all you experts out there saying TLD need to kick 2 to have a effective game. I say to all of you have you been actually watching our last few games?... The delivery to our skipper is at best woeful, to every other forward it's nearly non existent, how many games have we had multiple goal kickers have we had. Get a grip even big nick is struggling to kick multiple goals and he gets the multitude of delivery.
give the guy a break and let him play, he obviously has more talent than me and all of you so lets just see how he goes........

Be the best you can ... If not have fun trying....
jamesmc
Club Player

saintfox wrote:For all you experts out there saying TLD need to kick 2 to have a effective game. I say to all of you have you been actually watching our last few games?... The delivery to our skipper is at best woeful, to every other forward it's nearly non existent, how many games have we had multiple goal kickers have we had. Get a grip even big nick is struggling to kick multiple goals and he gets the multitude of delivery.
give the guy a break and let him play, he obviously has more talent than me and all of you so lets just see how he goes........
Sorry Dad, but we have had multiple goalscorers in every game bar two.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

unlike many of our other unproven players, TDL actually has had decent opportunity last season... many of us saw enough of him to make up our minds hence his non-selection this season hasn't been as frustrating as that of others.

IMO he starts a long way back.

For him to salvage his career, he needs to almost straight away, look like a player that belongs... that simple.

he simply needs to be a solid contributor.

the trouble with him is that he plays 1/2 midfield, half forward pocket... doesn't get enough possessions as a mid nor kick goals as a forward but a little bit of each. doesn't cut it.

I'd like to see a 15-20 possession game as a mid, 1 goal and a few nice kicks... if gets that, he has a chance

sainter104
Club Player

just another rated by watters so pissed at how far back he put us

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Turning up on time.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I don't understand the hate. He hasn't made it but he's exactly where shenton was before he played seniors. He's been solid in the vfl and earnt a spot. I watched him closely in the Richmond game last year and he worked his arse off as the defensive forward. He gets my respect for working hard to win a place. I will be hoping he plays like a guy on his last chance and keeps backing it up.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:I don't understand the hate. He hasn't made it but he's exactly where shenton was before he played seniors. He's been solid in the vfl and earnt a spot. I watched him closely in the Richmond game last year and he worked his arse off as the defensive forward. He gets my respect for working hard to win a place. I will be hoping he plays like a guy on his last chance and keeps backing it up.
I think the problem is that we've obviously got a crap squad but we're running out of guys to delist. Six or eight need to go out the door this year, but if fringe players keep on doing just enough to stay around then which six or eight will it be? TDL might kick three this week and take his name off the list. Maister might come in next week and do the same. Dunell might go ok as well. It's confusing for a poor supporter!

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Backing into a pack once.

Keeping out of Roo's way.

Getting subbed off.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:I don't understand the hate. He hasn't made it but he's exactly where shenton was before he played seniors. He's been solid in the vfl and earnt a spot. I watched him closely in the Richmond game last year and he worked his arse off as the defensive forward. He gets my respect for working hard to win a place. I will be hoping he plays like a guy on his last chance and keeps backing it up.

I want everyone who plays for us to be stars but sometimes you have to realistic in the assessment of playwers. WEe are on the bottom of the ladder because we have the worst list in the AFL and it isnt going to get better next year. There will be players like ray and gwilt that will survive because we cant delist 12 players this season. Lets be totally honest here. i reckon we could easily name 12 players who could be delisted but then some on here will say remember that good game 2 years ago or he is young and hasnt really been given a chance.

Im going to name guys that should or could easily be delisted or retired at the end of the year. Now it wont happen to all but just shows where our list is at.

Gwilt
Ray
Dunell
TDL
Siposs
Simpkin
Hayes
Fisher
CJ
Lee
Markworth
Schneider
Milera
Maister

Thats 14 players and the only one that it is really harsh on is Markworth due to injury. Then there are others that could be on their last year if they dont show more like Murdoch, Saunders and White. Now all those cant go but sadly that is where our list is at the moment. I have heard in the last few weeks that Milera is better, Siposs was better, Simpkin is a better position on the ground and so on. However all have since been dropped because sadly they arent good enough. it isnt because they dont get chances which by the way you cant give all chances every week as you will be dropping no one so others dont get their so called chances. We have to cut and cut hard in the next 2 to 3 years or we will continue giving games to players that will never be good enough.

spert
Saintsational Legend

It's a team game, and all players need to do their jobs for the team to win. TDL if played as a forward, will need to kick and or assist in goals, plus show some betterdefensive skills unlike our forwards to far this season.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

3 goals 10 kicks 3 marks no handballs

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

I want everyone who plays for us to be stars but sometimes you have to realistic in the assessment of playwers. WEe are on the bottom of the ladder because we have the worst list in the AFL and it isnt going to get better next year. There will be players like ray and gwilt that will survive because we cant delist 12 players this season. Lets be totally honest here. i reckon we could easily name 12 players who could be delisted but then some on here will say remember that good game 2 years ago or he is young and hasnt really been given a chance.

Im going to name guys that should or could easily be delisted or retired at the end of the year. Now it wont happen to all but just shows where our list is at.

Gwilt
Ray
Dunell
TDL
Siposs
Simpkin
Hayes
Fisher
CJ
Lee
Markworth
Schneider
Milera
Maister

Thats 14 players and the only one that it is really harsh on is Markworth due to injury. Then there are others that could be on their last year if they dont show more like Murdoch, Saunders and White. Now all those cant go but sadly that is where our list is at the moment. I have heard in the last few weeks that Milera is better, Siposs was better, Simpkin is a better position on the ground and so on. However all have since been dropped because sadly they arent good enough. it isnt because they dont get chances which by the way you cant give all chances every week as you will be dropping no one so others dont get their so called chances. We have to cut and cut hard in the next 2 to 3 years or we will continue giving games to players that will never be good enough.
He's obviously on his last chance but why not hope makes rather than willing failure? We need to delist players so hope goes crap? He's hardly responsible for our performance as he isn't getting games. Good luck to him and every other player from me.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
He's obviously on his last chance but why not hope makes rather than willing failure? We need to delist players so hope goes crap? He's hardly responsible for our performance as he isn't getting games. Good luck to him and every other player from me.

i think most of us would agree with those sentiments...