Jack Billings

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Re: Jack Billings

Billings plays largely as a forward/flanker, so along with the limited opportunities afforded, compared to a permanent midfield position, he also has a dedicated defender he needs to constantly contend with right now (whereas young midfielders may be largely left untagged).
So if he does move permanently into the midfield, one day - we already know he'll cope with a tagger.
Last edited by samoht on Mon 07 Jul 2014 11:03am, edited 1 time in total.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
Griggsy wrote: Roo the only one kicking over 1 goal a game with 37.
That is because we've gone to him 126 times this season with Stanley the next most frequent at 39
That's an interesting stat BC - where do you find that one?

Aside from all the variables, it shows that Rhys has converted goals at a similar ratio to Nick versus the amount of times we have kicked it to him.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

gosaints wrote:
falka wrote:In my opinion this thread is a disgrace

First year, no preseason, missed most of 2013, and is playing in worst team as a forward!

He is a gun and will make people look very silly, but what would you expect from the morons on this page.

This site is now full of wanker sooks who can F*** off as far as I am concerned.

Billings in a top 4 team would easily be the best prospect from the draft.

Think a few people need to log off for a few years, this site is depressingly sad.
I'm glad someone said it!! This KID had a seriously interrupted preseason after playing bugger all footy in 2013. He is now being asked to play as a small forward in the worst team in the league.
Despite all that he has been in our best handful of players, a shining light in a pretty dark period.

Surely most have watched enough footy to understand that his limited preseason and fitness levels have hampered his kicking skills.

He will be a star. What he is doing at the moment is remarkable.
I have to agree with this. It's amazing how well he's doing in a terrible team, ATM. My only concern is that we need to give him a contract extension now! Plenty of teams will be in his ear about a change of club. The kid will be a star.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
savatage
SS Life Member

It's embarrassing that some of you "support" the same club that I do.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

savatage wrote:It's embarrassing that some of you "support" the same club that I do.
Indeed, savatage.
Some purport to support.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Joke thread but I will reply. This kid is a star and will be elite in a year or two. Takes contested marks, kicks goals and has elite footskills.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
MrCordz
Club Player

The Redeemer wrote:you all are f****** losers that demand instant satisfaction from a 19 year old.

sheesh
Time for your valium, son.

Humbly St. Kilda
ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

WinnersOnly wrote:We needed an elite midfielder he will never be that!

We needed outside & break away speed he wont provide that.

He will be a good forward however, similiar to Nathan Brown but not the midfielder the Saints hoped he would be....
how do you know that do you have a crystal ball that see's 6 years into this kids future? based off his fraaking hand full of games you know him inside out as a player Nostradamus?

leave this kid the fraak alone.... he's one of the few bright lights this year.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

MrCordz wrote:
The Redeemer wrote:you all are f****** losers that demand instant satisfaction from a 19 year old.

sheesh
Time for your valium, son.

no his post is spot on... people having a crack need the fraaking Valium.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Nice fightback by sensible people in the latter part of this thread.

The mention of his struggles in 2013 is salient. The kid hardly trained last year (bursitis in his knee, from memory) but still maintained a high level of performance. The draft's now later in the year, which means they start traing later with the club that picks them. Then he blew out a muscle (Colorado, I think), which cost him about 6 weeks in Jan and into Feb, and a slow rebuild after that.

As for being "slow" - go back to an interview Richardson did on the Game Day early, and listen to Matthews and Richardson discuss Jack's speed (the deceptively long stride).

And, as for potting his kicking, that's flat out crap. He's obviously struggling a bit physically as the year goes on - not unexpected given his age (not 19 yet) and underwhelming preparation in '13 and the preseason.

As someone pointed out, our biggest concern should be whether the side's development can encourage him to extend beyond the initial 2 years. We cannot afford to be merely a development academy for the better performing clubs.

Still reckon he'll be recognised in coming years as the best from the '13 draft. Bontempelli is going fine, but he's unusual physical package for a kid. Billings is pure footballer - smart (innate 'feel' for the game and its patterns), 2 sided, lovely hands, he has power (gives him speed and a leap), with a body that will develop to support his talents. There's bits of Bartel and Johnson is the way Jack goes about it.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:
gosaints wrote:
falka wrote:In my opinion this thread is a disgrace

First year, no preseason, missed most of 2013, and is playing in worst team as a forward!

He is a gun and will make people look very silly, but what would you expect from the morons on this page.

This site is now full of wanker sooks who can F*** off as far as I am concerned.

Billings in a top 4 team would easily be the best prospect from the draft.

Think a few people need to log off for a few years, this site is depressingly sad.
I'm glad someone said it!! This KID had a seriously interrupted preseason after playing bugger all footy in 2013. He is now being asked to play as a small forward in the worst team in the league.
Despite all that he has been in our best handful of players, a shining light in a pretty dark period.

Surely most have watched enough footy to understand that his limited preseason and fitness levels have hampered his kicking skills.

He will be a star. What he is doing at the moment is remarkable.
I have to agree with this. It's amazing how well he's doing in a terrible team, ATM. My only concern is that we need to give him a contract extension now! Plenty of teams will be in his ear about a change of club. The kid will be a star.
That's the risk and not how good he'll be. He will be good. He is good.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

The OtherThommo wrote:Nice fightback by sensible people in the latter part of this thread.

The mention of his struggles in 2013 is salient. The kid hardly trained last year (bursitis in his knee, from memory) but still maintained a high level of performance. The draft's now later in the year, which means they start traing later with the club that picks them. Then he blew out a muscle (Colorado, I think), which cost him about 6 weeks in Jan and into Feb, and a slow rebuild after that.

As for being "slow" - go back to an interview Richardson did on the Game Day early, and listen to Matthews and Richardson discuss Jack's speed (the deceptively long stride).

And, as for potting his kicking, that's flat out crap. He's obviously struggling a bit physically as the year goes on - not unexpected given his age (not 19 yet) and underwhelming preparation in '13 and the preseason.

As someone pointed out, our biggest concern should be whether the side's development can encourage him to extend beyond the initial 2 years. We cannot afford to be merely a development academy for the better performing clubs.

Still reckon he'll be recognised in coming years as the best from the '13 draft. Bontempelli is going fine, but he's unusual physical package for a kid. Billings is pure footballer - smart (innate 'feel' for the game and its patterns), 2 sided, lovely hands, he has power (gives him speed and a leap), with a body that will develop to support his talents. There's bits of Bartel and Johnson is the way Jack goes about it.
Excellent post!

parky
Club Player

The main aspect of his game yesterday that I disliked was his mentoring of Montagna. He really should have been more aware that his teammate was on zero disposals for the quarter (1st) and got him a "cheapie". Very poor leadership. I'm concerned about him :roll:

parky
Club Player

The main aspect of his game yesterday that I disliked was his mentoring of Montagna. He really should have been more aware that his teammate was on zero disposals for the quarter (1st) and got him a "cheapie". Very poor leadership. I'm concerned about him :roll:

tweedaletomanning
Club Player

I know I'm gonna get ridiculed, but the similarities between gaj and hin at that age are quite remarkable :wink:

stinger
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
Griggsy wrote: Roo the only one kicking over 1 goal a game with 37.
That is because we've gone to him 126 times this season with Stanley the next most frequent at 39
That's an interesting stat BC - where do you find that one?

Aside from all the variables, it shows that Rhys has converted goals at a similar ratio to Nick versus the amount of times we have kicked it to him.
give you some more

inside 50 targets

roo...126
rhys...39

roo....162
milne 54

roo ...131
milne.....119

goals

roo.34
billings 11

roo....50
milne ...28

milne....56
roo.....47

...the 2014 stats are prior to yesterday's game though....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Read the OP after seeing the heading, hoping it wasn't negative but should of known better. Simply a disgraceful thread! NFI!!!

Thankfully some have come to the kid's rescue with insightful and reasoned posts.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote: give you some more
Thanks stinger… interesting stats. must be from one of your official AFL books :wink:

Rhys might have a few more goals this year if more ball was delivered his way.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
stinger wrote: give you some more
Thanks stinger… interesting stats. must be from one of your official AFL books :wink:

Rhys might have a few more goals this year if more ball was delivered his way.
Hi dragit.The stats were from a Matthew Lloyd column in the Age in which he said it was time to move Riewoldt out of the forward line and to the wing. He drew the comparison with Matthew Richardson's successful positional move there in 2008-2009 when the Tigers decided it was time to develop some young forwards including Jack Riewoldt.

I guess you can draw from the stats that Stanley has been better than he's appeared at times. Of course Riewoldt is drawing the best defender and often the best two defenders.

ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

Shittest thread in the history of saintsational.

If you cant see the ability, peripheral vision, skill, and football smarts in Jack Billings you are clueless and should stop supporting AFL right now.

What is dead may never die, but rises again harder and stronger.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

ralphsmith wrote:Shittest thread in the history of saintsational.

If you cant see the ability, peripheral vision, skill, and football smarts in Jack Billings you are clueless and should stop supporting AFL right now.
The whole site reminds me of hyenas circling around the vulnerable members of the herd. Billing is like a baby antelope with a few self appointed pack leaders trying to isolate him and take him out. If he left they would be equally outraged by his lack of loyalty. Who ever had that caption at the bottom saying " I see dumb people" May have been mystic and predicted this time.

SinCitySainter
Club Player

I am overjoyed with where Billings is at. His body is not ready for AFL football, he is truly a boy against men out there.

He may become an A-grade outside mid as he has most of the required skills to do so, only question might be his pace.

However, even if he stays as a fwd/mid the rest of his career I don't have a big problem with getting the next Stevie Johnson with pick 3, does anybody?

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

He's not overly quick, is he.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:He's not overly quick, is he.

No he isnt. Neither is Pendlebury, Lenny, Johnson and a host of other players.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Yeah, I'm not potting him.

But he is going to need to some strings to his bow as his career progresses.