Montagna

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Montagna

Montagna has been (IMHO) a fine player for our club over a long period of time. Leigh has made a great contribution to our success over the 2004-2010 era, and for this (again in my humble opinion) has earned enough credits not to be slagged-off by disgruntled supporters for what is (by his own high standards) a pretty ordinary run of current form. Having said that however, NO player on our list, should be immune to CONSTRUCTIVE criticism. I'm the Jiggster; that's my take! :wink:

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
tweedaletomanning wrote:He will probably not go anywhere.

This is because he is one of the highest paid players at the club.

DEFINITELY paying overs.

No club will pay him what we are.

Therefore will not go anywhere.
Correct. Noone would pay him half what we are paying.

Then our fans will kiss his feet for 'loyalty' and his good form back in 2010.

Joke. No wonder we are bottom and have one lone fluke flag in 120 years.

Con I dont get why we are on the bottom. Surely it isnt because fans kiss his feet, which I think it a lie anyway. Is it because we are paying him to much. Its really hard to work out what you are saying. Con you may not realise this by your posts but contracts arent done during the year. last season he finished second in the B&F and through loyalty and ability deserved to be in our top 3 paid players. Do you understand that Con. Im doubtful. The way your posting has changes since the club has dropped down the ladder suggests loyalty isnt a thing you understand.

Joey is going terribly but he deserved the money he was offerred and I cant see to many happy with his form at the moment. That doesnt mean you sook it up and act like a little kid who has lost his favourite toy.
Plus one P66.

Some on here think they are the only ones dissapointed by the players and their form. Montagna has been poor the past four week, earlier this year he was good. As you say he was very good last season and was in the top three.

Loyalty doesn't mean slavishly idolising the players, I certainly dont. I was as critical and as dissapointed on Sunday as I have ever been at a Saints match. I just dont get this hairy chested hysterical hyperbole and disrespect some go for when we are at the bottom of the ladder.

Fickle and instant gratification will not cut it in the AFL when we are like we are. Go back to the beginning of the year and there was post after post on how bad Savage was. Suddenly he is a keeper and a really good trade.

I am a loyal Saints fan, but unlike some of the more excitable posters here, dont go in for the hyperbole about kissing feet just because i dont bag out long time loyal players.

Some equate it to they are being paid good money and get accolades by being a footballer. Funny that when they leave they are described as some as "traitors" and have left just for money. You cant have it both ways.

But hey, it is a fan forum nobody said you cant pot all of our players if you like, just dont expect everyone to be in agreement with your views, and dont chuck a hissy fit when someone calls you on it.
what a pile of crap. All ive done is make the observation that his form has been poor for two months.
you guys are the ones that cry when someone points out the obvious and then you get all jacked up rubbing yourselves off how you are the most loyal supporters and the bestest truest sainters. Pathetic. Its like some religious flog getting off on being more pure than the bloke down the street. Well good on you. You win best purest fan award for the month. Do you want a certificate for your wall?
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Wed 09 Jul 2014 12:38pm, edited 1 time in total.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

A Club legend and he has played some great games for us this year. It must be difficult to maintain the effort right now.

I tip that he will lift this week against his mate Dal.

Witeout23
Club Player

Is carrying an injury -shouldnt be playing

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Hobart/Blundstone likely to be a heavy track. Give him a rest if he needs it.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Witeout23 wrote:Is carrying an injury -shouldnt be playing
? Why is he playing then?
Are we playing for a finals berth?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

DEFINITELY paying overs.

Con I dont get why we are on the bottom. Surely it isnt because fans kiss his feet, which I think it a lie anyway. Is it because we are paying him to much. Its really hard to work out what you are saying. Con you may not realise this by your posts but contracts arent done during the year. last season he finished second in the B&F and through loyalty and ability deserved to be in our top 3 paid players. Do you understand that Con. Im doubtful. The way your posting has changes since the club has dropped down the ladder suggests loyalty isnt a thing you understand.

Joey is going terribly but he deserved the money he was offerred and I cant see to many happy with his form at the moment. That doesnt mean you sook it up and act like a little kid who has lost his favourite toy.
Plus one P66.

Some on here think they are the only ones dissapointed by the players and their form. Montagna has been poor the past four week, earlier this year he was good. As you say he was very good last season and was in the top three.

Loyalty doesn't mean slavishly idolising the players, I certainly dont. I was as critical and as dissapointed on Sunday as I have ever been at a Saints match. I just dont get this hairy chested hysterical hyperbole and disrespect some go for when we are at the bottom of the ladder.

Fickle and instant gratification will not cut it in the AFL when we are like we are. Go back to the beginning of the year and there was post after post on how bad Savage was. Suddenly he is a keeper and a really good trade.

I am a loyal Saints fan, but unlike some of the more excitable posters here, dont go in for the hyperbole about kissing feet just because i dont bag out long time loyal players.

Some equate it to they are being paid good money and get accolades by being a footballer. Funny that when they leave they are described as some as "traitors" and have left just for money. You cant have it both ways.

But hey, it is a fan forum nobody said you cant pot all of our players if you like, just dont expect everyone to be in agreement with your views, and dont chuck a hissy fit when someone calls you on it.
what a pile of crap. All ive done is make the observation that his form has been poor for two months.
you guys are the ones that cry when someone points out the obvious and then you get all jacked up rubbing yourselves off how you are the most loyal supporters and the bestest truest sainters. Pathetic. Its like some religious flog getting off on being more pure than the bloke down the street. Well good on you. You win best purest fan award for the month. Do you want a certificate for your wall?

What a childish response again. We address your silly comments but then you just come out with more childish comments. What are you pointing out that we dont know? We all know his form is poor. You say some silly comment about kissing players feet, whatever the hell that means, and we both say no but you go on again like the kid who lost his toy.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Collected Coaches votes only one round ago against Richmond. Rather than dropping him why don't we just drag him out for a public flogging. Should keep a few on here happy.

How about getting a couple of dwarves dressed as schoolgirls to set fire to him? :roll:

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

DEFINITELY paying overs.

Plus one P66.

Wow - you do get upset when challenged dont you?

I cant read anywhere that i said I was the most loyal supporter , on the contarary, I was cery critical on the weekend about that dreadful performance, I just dont go in for potting players who have given their all for the club over a decade.

He was having a shocker on Sunday then in the second quarter got the stuffing knocked out of him, nobody is defending his game on Sunday.

Instead in abusing anyone who dares to challenge your views how about putting something substantial down to back them up.

heres one - Montagna was in the coaches votes just one week back. So in retrospect Sunday was one bad game.

heres another - Montagna was 3rd in the B&F last season. Why should he not be rewarded for being good in a poor team?

So instead in infantile abuse and hysterical hyperbole, try and argue your case, otherwise as Plugger66 said, you come across as very childish having a tantrum because your view has been challenged.

Not terribly adult is it?

You are garbage - Enough said
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

The following could have been posted on this Montagna thread, but equally on the Riewoldt thread, or the Gwilt thread……

The reality is that none of us on here really know a player’s situation.

Very few of us, if any, know any of the players.

Very few of us attend training.

Many us watch games live at the ground; others watch them on TV. Most of us get our information about Sandy games from the few posters who go to the games and who kindly take the time to share their observations with the rest of us. If we’re lucky we may get to see the boys on the ABC once or twice a year.

We don’t know whether players are carrying injuries. We don’t know whether they are struggling mentally, whether it be from the realisation that the dream is over, or their impending retirement from the game, or from the shock of going from a player in a Grand Final team to a player in a bottoming out side.

We just don’t know.

And because we don’t know, it’s entirely reasonable to err on the side of supporting a player who is struggling rather than to bag him out.

It’s got nothing to do with blind faith.

It’s got everything to do with supporting our team and the players that make up that team.
Last edited by Dr Spaceman on Wed 09 Jul 2014 4:58pm, edited 1 time in total.

#gosaintas
Club Player

Not applicable to either the Roo thread or the Gwilt thread. Gwilt has been crap for years and Roo's sooking and umpire pleading is not the result of injury, just mental weakness.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

#gosaintas wrote:Not applicable to either the Roo thread or the Gwilt thread. Gwilt has been crap for years and Roo's sooking and umpire pleading is not the result of injury, just mental weakness.

I love supporters like you. Do sit on your own at the footy?

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
SainterK wrote:
Spinner wrote:Talking about salaries.

Goddard's contract at stkilda would have made him the highest paid player towards the end if we had matched...

Would that pay scale be out of whack right now? It's probably heading towards being right on.

A long time about but his performances are proving his worth.
Bingo

It's done now, but he won a B&F and maintained very good form.
I reckon his B&F was won amongst competition that was mentally shot. You could argue his best years at the Saints were better than his B&F year at the Bombers. And I'm not just saying that because he's now an ex Saints player, just adding some balance to the debate.
Spot on Cairnsman. I don't hate the guy, I was pissed when he wanted to leave and that he wanted more money because at the time he certainly didn't deserve it. He played good last year without being great. Once Jobe got injured, who else was going to win though??

His best years were 09/10. He's going great this year though, and he reminds me of the player he once was. For whatever reason his form at the saints was woeful leading up to that contract dispute and anyone who believes he was worth 700k a year had rocks in their heads. A football manager from a top club told me at the time that he would only pay him 450k a year because he didn't think he was worth more than that. Perspective required on Goddard.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Great post Dr.

in for the long haul
Club Player

Cant believe some of these posts. Montagna has stuck with us for the duration when I am sure he has had lucrative offers from elsewhere. He's been in our top 5 players ( or thereabouts) for most of the journey. A few bad games and you want to chop his head off. IMO we need him more than ever now.

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Sobraz wrote:Great post Dr.
+1. Lost on some, though, it seems.

Always loyal
ChelseaGuy
Club Player

Dr Spaceman wrote:The following could have been posted on this Montagna thread, but equally on the Riewoldt thread, or the Gwilt thread……

Many us watch games live at the ground; others watch them on TV. Most of us get our information about Sandy games from the few posters who go to the games and who kindly take the time to share their observations with the rest of us. If we’re lucky we may get to see the boys on the ABC once or twice a year.

We don’t know whether players are carrying injuries. We don’t know whether they are struggling mentally, whether it be from the realisation that the dream is over, or their impending retirement from the game, or from the shock of going from a player in a Grand Final team to a player in a bottoming out side.

We just don’t know.

And because we don’t know, it’s entirely reasonable to err on the side of supporting a player who is struggling rather than to bag him out.

It’s got everything to do with supporting our team and the players that make up that team.
Well said Dr.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:How about getting a couple of dwarves dressed as schoolgirls to set fire to him? :roll:
I don't how he'll respond, but that might get me going! :D

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
stinger
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:How about getting a couple of dwarves dressed as schoolgirls to set fire to him? :roll:
would not be considered funny at the best of times....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Let's face it, Joey might be one of only three players on our list with currency for a trade. I'd hate to lose him, but with the way things are, he would be well within his rights to chase the ultimate glory elsewhere. I wouldn't begrudge him the chance. Another champion of our club who may finish in opposition colours. Heartbreaking, really.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:The following could have been posted on this Montagna thread, but equally on the Riewoldt thread, or the Gwilt thread……

We just don’t know.

That just about sums it up, Dr. S. I might just plagiarise that in the future!

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

We just don’t know.

Well said Doc. I'm disappointed with Leighs form, considering his high standards but what you say puts it into perspective.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
jamesmc
Club Player

Bunk_Moreland wrote:Another long serving hard working fabric team player potted.

God. Do some of you actually support the club and players?

Piss weak in my opinion
Weren't you the one who said Billings was the only one in our team who can hit a target?

if so that sounds like you were potting 21 players in one foul swoop.

jamesmc
Club Player

White Winmar wrote:Let's face it, Joey might be one of only three players on our list with currency for a trade. I'd hate to lose him, but with the way things are, he would be well within his rights to chase the ultimate glory elsewhere. I wouldn't begrudge him the chance. Another champion of our club who may finish in opposition colours. Heartbreaking, really.
It's not the ultimate glory if you change teams and win a flag with another team in the last year of your career. It means nothing. Ive done it and i barely give that Premiership another thought, whereas my team mates who were all in it for the long haul are still over the moon about it.