Sam Fisher !!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Sam Fisher !!

Many on here (myself included) had prematurely written this guy off. Yesterday's game reminded us all of how important he is to our back line structure !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

PJ
SS Life Member

Re: Sam Fisher !!

Eastern wrote:Many on here (myself included) had prematurely written this guy off. Yesterday's game reminded us all of how important he is to our back line structure !!
Yep but more questioning his ability to get back out there as opposed to his ability to perform. Well done Sam..love your work.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
mullet
Saintsational Legend

Have been waiting for someone to post a Sam Fisher thread.

I was one of those people. I think my comment was something along the lines of if we are all waiting for Sam Fisher to come back and save us we
are in real trouble.

Well I WAS WRONG

He was fantastic. He looked really slim, which worried me, but he didn't miss a beat.
And Armo said this morning he is so calm, and keeps the whole back line calm. This is stuff I don't know about so maybe I should just shut up.

So Sorry Sam, I am a stupid old fool.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

mullet wrote:Have been waiting for someone to post a Sam Fisher thread.

I was one of those people. I think my comment was something along the lines of if we are all waiting for Sam Fisher to come back and save us we
are in real trouble.

Well I WAS WRONG

He was fantastic. He looked really slim, which worried me, but he didn't miss a beat.
And Armo said this morning he is so calm, and keeps the whole back line calm. This is stuff I don't know about so maybe I should just shut up.

No you arent. You had a different opinion to some. How boring would it be if we all had the same ideas. And you arent wrong after one win anyway.

mullet
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
mullet wrote:Have been waiting for someone to post a Sam Fisher thread.

are in real trouble.

Well I WAS WRONG

No you arent. You had a different opinion to some. How boring would it be if we all had the same ideas. And you arent wrong after one win anyway.
Happy to say I was wrong. I didn't think he would come back at all. It was what Armo said that got me the most, obviously they hold him in high regard.

Armo also said that they told Savage as a group to lift his game.

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

After about a year between games I don't think it was unreasonable to think that he might not get back to his best. I felt he was one more injury away from the end. However, his importance to the team can't be underestimated. He is a fantastic reader of the play, sets us up so well and allows Gwilt to play a more suitable role.
I hope he's got a few more years left.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
FQF
SS Life Member

There was one moment in the match where Sam had the ball just forward of centre and Roo was about 15-20 metres away screaming for the ball - literally demanding it. Roo was stationary and in a crap position and would barely had advanced our position. No doubt that almost all of our young players would have given it to the captain under that sort of pressure. But Sam took one look at Roo, turned his back and hit a long target that resulted in a goal (I think).

This sort of experience is invaluable. He is an elite talent, and his injury - together with Gilbert, Geary, Wright, Webster - makes you realise that our backline is madly undermanned, and thus has HUGE scope for improvement.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I didn't underestimate his talent, I just thought he was rushed back considering how much he'd missed, and thought it may of passed him by.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

great player is our sam......all australian

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Changes the whole dynamic of the team not only back line. Just shows he and Roo our most important players.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:Changes the whole dynamic of the team not only back line. Just shows he and Roo our most important players.

And lenny and there in lies our problem in a couple of years.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Old Mate wrote:Changes the whole dynamic of the team not only back line. Just shows he and Roo our most important players.

True. But in a couple of years our younger players will have a couple years more experience and Roo and Fisher are only two players. I'm hoping for an even spread of contribution from our younger players to compensate for our losses of three Saints legends.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

True. But in a couple of years our younger players will have a couple years more experience and Roo and Fisher are only two players. I'm hoping for an even spread of contribution from our younger players to compensate for our losses of three Saints legends.

Even spread sounds great but you need your champions. Every GF side has at least 2 or 3 I would think.

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Old Mate wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Even spread sounds great but you need your champions. Every GF side has at least 2 or 3 I would think.
From our current stock of kids I think we have 22 potential Elite players in Billings and Dunstan. I think Dunstan could go on to be an absolute champion, if you look at his stats for his first 17 games he averages 19 disposals, Lenny in the same time only averaged 11 disposals.
Billings just looks to have all class, once he bulks up a little and develops the tank he will be elite.
Jack Steven is A grade but needs a full pre-season to re-capture his form and Armo is definitely an A-grader.
IF we can pick up 2 more this year we have a good start

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Old Mate wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Players step up, they always do. We will find new champions.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

I'm hoping his long stints away from the game over the past couple of years extends his career for at least another couple of years...that would be very handy. Our development needs him badly, plus he's a ripper to watch in top flight.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

As above! I honestly thought that we'd seen the last of Sam Fisher. His performance on Saturday was telling on SO many levels!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Spud
Club Player
Location: Near the You Yangs, or as my wife used to call it, the Dugongs.

Cairnsman wrote:I'm hoping his long stints away from the game over the past couple of years extends his career for at least another couple of years...that would be very handy. Our development needs him badly, plus he's a ripper to watch in top flight.
Yeah would love to see him play on another couple of years. We need to give him another contract. Our defence this year has been such a rabble and he just brings so much stability to it. A great leader/teacher for the younger players in our back line.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

i admit i had a line through him and Shnides .... but one game doesnt make a season they need to back it up against GC ... up and down form is acceptable/expected from rookies not seniors (to Chips credit he has been injured so form was more an injury concern)

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/