Josh Bruce forward

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

maverick
Saintsational Legend

Josh Bruce forward

I liked it.
Stanley, Bruce and Roo are all different and for me will work well if given an extended chance.
Need a medium tackling machine, maybe Murdoch and an Eli type and we start having a functioning forward line.. of course with RR types such as Billings as well...

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

Re: Josh Bruce forward

liked it aswell... even though he didn't hit the score line to hard... he did a heap of little things that helped out a lot.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

People forge a career out of enhancing others games, no shame in that

oldie60
Club Player

It was irrelevant about his lack of scoring.His presence changed the whole structure of the side with Roo roaming where he wanted,Stanley playing well and on many occasions just three big blokes running into space creating space for one another. It was fantastic and just need to have a self belief in if you bring what they brought to the game yesterday they will be more than competitive.We kicked our highest score for a long time against the league's best defence.That doesn't happen very often.David Mundy commented that they were the best side they'd played this year.

mullet
Saintsational Legend

Richo loved his game too. Obviously he played his role as directed

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

The example of the two Freo defencders not knowing what to do as he harrassed them waiting for the cavalry to arrive is a perfect example of what we needed. Rather than them getting the loose ball and running it out at will, we had a shot on goal.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
FQF
SS Life Member

It was a good game, and the best thing is, we all know that he can play even better. Bruce is not Simpkin - he has the ability to snag a goal or two in each game and be an offensive asset. He is also a very good height and can be used to stretch a defence. Most teams simply do not have a very good third defender who is 197cm - this is a weapon that must be exploited.

Saint wagga
Club Player

Thought Bruce looked very mobile and dangerous. Looks to have better pace and agility than Simpkin and as previously mentioned, peobably didn't have his best game (looked like he was trying too damn hard - which is understandable given his long VFL stint), so really could be an excellent swingman up forward...worth having a good look for the remainder of the season IMO...

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Josh Bruce has been a great pick up for the Saints, and (IMHO) will become one of our most important players. Well done young man!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Spud
Club Player
Location: Near the You Yangs, or as my wife used to call it, the Dugongs.

thejiggingsaint wrote:Josh Bruce has been a great pick up for the Saints, and (IMHO) will become one of our most important players. Well done young man!
I agree he his very important to our side. He is an athletic big man who gives enormous effort. His tackling and harassing is one of the reasons we were able to lock the ball on our forward 50, consequently resulting in goals. We haven't done that all year until now.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Somehow amongst all this, Brodie Murdoch ended up with 4 shots at goal as well. Should have been 5 but Armo took the free kick that should have been Bull's.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Saintberra
Club Player

Having played with him, he definitely prefers to play up in the forward line, and is most effective once up there.
He had a very influential game IMHO :D

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

The great thing about these 3 tall forwards are that none of them are a liability when the ball hits the ground. This is the key to being able to play 3 tall forwards.
One thing I noticed is that one of them wax always in the 50 metre arc which gave us the get out kick when under pressure the other 2 were always on the bike leading up the ground it worked brilliantly.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Bruce contested really well. And his pressure and work rate was fantastic.

Freo's back six were just flipping it over from the pressure. Watch the third quarter.

Bruce was good. Almost landed a good contested mark against two defenders at ones stage and his pressure against two defenders again directly resulted in a goal.

He did what he was meant to do and he did it well. Wouldnt mind seeing him have a few shots if he could snag a mark or two.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
FQF
SS Life Member

Saintberra wrote:Having played with him, he definitely prefers to play up in the forward line, and is most effective once up there.
Hey Saintberra, what's your playing history, did you play junior footy with Bruce? I think almost all junior players would prefer to play forward.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

yeah me likey
me likey bull up there two
another one that can kick a booming punt

agree re eli
get him back and its looking not too bad is it, plus bpay to rotate thru as well

Saintberra
Club Player

FQF wrote:
Saintberra wrote:Having played with him, he definitely prefers to play up in the forward line, and is most effective once up there.
Hey Saintberra, what's your playing history, did you play junior footy with Bruce? I think almost all junior players would prefer to play forward.
The equivalent of NEAFL prior to it being introduced, more so at und. 18's level.

He was played as a majority in that role, his mind set is up forward. He played in the defence for a couple of years at a younger age, but always troubled the defence when playing as a forward (more so than he troubled forwards when in defence). :)