Who will we trade in?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Who will we trade in?

I know the pelican will not have us enter the FA market for another year or two, but I thought it might be interesting to get your thoughts on who we might trade in from other clubs. We did really well last year in getting Longer, Delaney, Bruce and Savage and if we can do as well again, we'll surely accelerate our improvement and development.

The two that strike me as "gettable" are Sam Reid and Tom Mitchell from the swines. Reid would give us a next generation forward, while Mitchell, although not overly quick, is a ball magnet. Lack of opportunity and of course, money, may see us be able to prise one of them loose. As far as defenders go, maybe Tayte Pears might be worth another look.

As for the treasure trove that is GWS, I think we should gave a real crack at some of the young talent they have stockpiled and can't possibly afford to keep in terms of senior game time and salary. I know Dylan Shiel may be beyond our reach as he probably wants to pay for a genuine premiership contender if he comes home, but what about Jono O'Rourke, Liam Sumner and Kristian Jaksch? All would be useful acquisitions for us as they have something to offer in terms of what we need. The pelican will certainly earn his pay this year. Thoughts?

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Re: Who will we trade in?

Mitchell, Reid or Jaksch would all be good options depending on what we have to give up to get them?

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

I forgot Cam Delaney, brother of Luke. He's not played senior footy this year because of a combination of a foot injury (that'd make him fit in well with us!) and the fact that there are others in the queue ahead of him. If he goes as well as his brother, we might get a good value cheapie!

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
beauisaint

White Winmar wrote:I know the pelican will not have us enter the FA market for another year or two, but I thought it might be interesting to get your thoughts on who we might trade in from other clubs. We did really well last year in getting Longer, Delaney, Bruce and Savage and if we can do as well again, we'll surely accelerate our improvement and development.

The two that strike me as "gettable" are Sam Reid and Tom Mitchell from the swines. Reid would give us a next generation forward, while Mitchell, although not overly quick, is a ball magnet. Lack of opportunity and of course, money, may see us be able to prise one of them loose. As far as defenders go, maybe Tayte Pears might be worth another look.

As for the treasure trove that is GWS, I think we should gave a real crack at some of the young talent they have stockpiled and can't possibly afford to keep in terms of senior game time and salary. I know Dylan Shiel may be beyond our reach as he probably wants to pay for a genuine premiership contender if he comes home, but what about Jono O'Rourke, Liam Sumner and Kristian Jaksch? All would be useful acquisitions for us as they have something to offer in terms of what we need. The pelican will certainly earn his pay this year. Thoughts?

Only issue with Reid and Mitchell is that they are on 600k and 400k respectively at the swans. Only thing that would attract them is opportunity. Reid was given a 5-6 year deal in 2011 I believe. I do think he is an attractive prospect if available though

Beekay
SS Life Member

Wtf? Those salaries are disgusting.

Dylan Seil I'd take over any youngster in the comp bar Cameron.

If only ..

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Pick 1/2/3 for Reid and Mitchell and gents...we have a deal

citywest

Would Greater Western Sydney look at this....

We give them pick 1 and Montagna for Patton.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:Would Greater Western Sydney look at this....

No.

GWS still have a long way to go.

Only older players they will pick up, are ones they can get for naught....or whom are actually capable of playing for many years (ie Mummy).

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

The Redeemer wrote:Pick 1/2/3 for
I think there might be a flaw in your plan....

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Your posts are so predictable and insipid.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
lloyd21
Club Player

In no particular order think these are the names they would be as all clubs in Victoria

Tom Clurey Kristian Jaksch Jono Orourke Jordan Murdoch Jarryd Lyons

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

They'd have to throw in Cameron for me to take that deal CW.

IMHO Monty stays unless he wants out.

I want Petracca with our first draft pick!

Then, next draft (2015) we can liberate the power forward likes of Patton... we have cap space and the GWoganS won't... :twisted:

Patience and timing are the keys with list building... the Pelican knows this...

For how not to do it, see Carlscum and the too early stage of their rebuilding that they brought in pokie- boy (but I wanna not let on about that coz it's really shameful) Judd...
and they've learnt nothing... they're marooned mid-table, yet they brought in an expensive aging Daisy.

Compare and contrast: we have an exciting and talented young list, and in a couple of years when they are ready to challenge, we have the cap space to 'show the light' to the likes of Patton, Sloane and Shiel (and we will get them/their ilk to 'see the light')...

whilst Carlscum are stuck with a poorly constructed list that they can't improve on, coz instead of what we'll be liberating, they are stuck paying Daisy and pokie boy. (No wonder Mickey Meltdown :oops: is clumsily trying to push Judd to retire.) :lol:

I mean, seriously, who would you rather be following now, Carlscum, or the exciting club in the wonderful tri-panel...?

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
andrewg
Club Player

Would love to see treloar in siants colours...contracted till next year but worth a high pick trade. He wants to come home so half the battle done.

Jeremy Cameron MUST and SHOULD be out target.

defacto
Club Player

why would montagna want to go to GWS?

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Jaksch is the obvious one. If Bruce is going to play forward then having another versatile tall could be really handy. That said I have no idea how good he actually is.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

andrewg wrote:Would love to see treloar in siants colours...contracted till next year but worth a high pick trade. He wants to come home so half the battle done.

How do you know he wants to come home? he has suggested many times he wants to stay.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Boyd on present form is now ahead of Paton After his knee reconsgtruction I would want something else beside Paton for pick One. Maybe Paton and their second round pick.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

andrewg wrote:Would love to see treloar in siants colours...contracted till next year but worth a high pick trade. He wants to come home so half the battle done.

The club is working in this space. 6-8 GWS players are well and truly on our radar.

FQF
SS Life Member

borderbarry wrote:Boyd on present form is now ahead of Paton After his knee reconsgtruction I would want something else beside Paton for pick One. Maybe Paton and their second round pick.
That is far from clear. Boyd had one objectively good game, and it was far from outstanding, just good. Patton has had a very solid year and gotten better as it's gone on.

Andreous
Club Player

I saw the Sydney/GWS games a few weeks ago. Patton(seniors) looked far better than Boyd (in the reserves). Patton was a really dominant big man gaining big marks all over the ground.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Andreous wrote:I saw the Sydney/GWS games a few weeks ago. Patton(seniors) looked far better than Boyd (in the reserves). Patton was a really dominant big man gaining big marks all over the ground.
Patton is 21 with 26 AFL games under his belt. Boyd is 18 and has played just 4. Not massively surprising Patton looks better than Boyd at this stage!

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Let's look at a team we can put together of players aged 24 and under. That will tell us what we need

B Webster. ......... Shenton
HB Wright ........... Roberton
C Newnes Dunstan Templeton
HF Billings Stanley Acres
F Lee. Bruce. Saunders

R Hickey, Weller, ........

Inter. Longer, Savage, White, Curren, Markworth, Murdock, Siposs, Pierce

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote:Let's look at a team we can put together of players aged 24 and under. That will tell us what we need

B Webster. ......... Shenton
HB Wright ........... Roberton
C Newnes Dunstan Templeton
HF Billings Stanley Acres
F Lee. Bruce. Saunders

R Hickey, Weller, ........

Inter. Longer, Savage, White, Curren, Markworth, Murdock, Siposs, Pierce
Delaney's only just 25 and doesn't have too many miles on the clock, I'd put him in this side as well.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Ignoring your 24 rule...2016 team...

FB Webster Delaney Roberton
HB Wright ...........Savage
C Newnes Dunstan Acres
HF Lee Stanley Petracca
F Billings Bruce Saad

R Hickey, Armitage, Steven

Inter: Weller, Templeton, Longer, Shenton, White, Curren, Markworth, Murdoch....

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:

How do you know he wants to come home? he has suggested many times he wants to stay.
Just like BJ, Buddy, Frawley, etc all indicated that they would prefer to stay?

Unless a signature is on the contract nothing is certain. Cameron in particular has a massive offer in front of him to extend his GWS contract but hasn't signed. Whether he is gettable this off season is very unlikely IMO but if this contract impasse continues & we have a top 2 pick again next year then we'll be right in the mix.

I agree with Dave McNamara.... keep the pick & take Petracca, get through 2015 with our current tall forwards (with maybe a young fwd & mature fwd drafted) & have a massive crack at Cameron, Patton or Boyd in 12 months time.