Maybe Burkie is onto something......

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stevie
Saintsational Legend

Re: Maybe Burkie is onto something......

I never used to watch games on TV with the sound off a few years back. That says a lot lol

The NFL have introduced a new advertising blight on the game, but thankfully only for certain telecasts of pre season games - the red zone (which is the term for being 20 yards or less for the end zone) is now called the Toyota Red Zone! And when teams bring the ball down the field and reach the red zone, the words Toyota and their silly symbol appear on the ground in hideous red letters. All ove re entire width of the ground of the red zone! My mate in the US sent me a link to the story that has enraged fans lol

Just checked again - it's only for the Niners( oh the irony) pre season games. But it is disgusting

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Got to say its long memories but poor memories. I love my local footy but it isnt and never will be the same as AFL footy. Yep its raw but it always has been different. I love AFL footy and I have to be totally honest, if we were going for our 19th straight win as we were in 2009 crap like this wouldnt exist. Funny how we forget round 14 that year or basically any other game that year. Yep its boting now but I remember noy hearing a word when we were getting smashed in the 80's.

I disagree I have always had fonder memories for the old grounds than the modern ones. I got back into footy in the 90s but I spent my formative years going to the old grounds. When you were a kid they were bizarre living places. They all had their different smells and sounds. Princess Park and Windy Hill were like organisms that held little bits of several eras as they developed.

I loved winning games under Lyon but we all still remembered the days we lost but Plugger went on a rampage with equal or more fondness. I found when we got good I kind of got complacent and just expected it. The early 90s were like rain on a drought plagued community. It's never going to be the same game but we have lost a lot to gain some comfort and extra precision and strategy in our game.

I cope very well with the present, I'm more settled and happy that any other time in my life but those days were more invigorating. I sat with the cheer squad against freo and I was getting glared at when I was too loud as I got a bit over excited. A guy who had come from WA to watch the saints was a bit intoxicated and dared to sit in one of the 100 empty seats in the cheer squad and was told to piss off by several of them. I remember having to watch with fingers in ears as a kid up the back of moorabin as the sounds reverberated like a tidal wave off the concrete.

Well you usually cant drink in cheer squads these days so that isnt an issue. If being pissed in a cheer squad is what you want then maybe those days at Moorabbin were better. Also it sounds like you were talking of the days at Moorabbin when you were young. Of course its different you were a kid and now you are an adult. I reckons kids now will be saying the same as you in 20 years time about it being better in the 2010's and thats because when you are kid everything is bigger and better. As for your days when plugger went on a rampage well I think that is a player not a ground. If plugger played today and was just as good we would be going beserk. That isnt the ground though. Footy crowds are different but I still think people only remember the good times at Morrabbin. I can remember days when it was wet and cold and hardly a noise was said under tha massive 12k crowd. I do remember Plugger going beserk. Amazing noise. I remember MG mark. Loundest noise i have ever heard for one single incident in a game apart from maybe Barry and BJ mark GF's.

Why so passionate rainman? I didn't say it's ever going back to the way it was but they have lost some of the intangibles by cleaning up the sport. It's more organised and better run to make money but has lost some of the things that made you feel more a part of the whole experience IMO. I love being part of my kids footy club because you do feel part of a community like the old days of VFL footy. I'm sure like not wearing seatbelts and smoking in pubs that it will not go back to what it was but I still have a right to think it was a more real experience in the past.

You are welcome to have a different opinion, I just don't think the same. This guy wasn't drinking, he was already tipsy, they told him to go pay $80 if he wanted to sit with them after he'd explained he'd come from Perth to watch. He was more into than the CS at least.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

No need to throw the baby out with the bath water. Like all commercial products you always have to be regenerating and I would bet my let testicle that there are AFL people looking at the standing room section at Adelaide oval and asking themselves if they can introduce that to either the MCG or the Dome. Would be sooooo easy to do.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I enjoy sitting down by the boundary fence at the dome we call home, and on those (oh so rare :( ) days when we're giving someone a belting, going mental! I also enjoy standing at the back, on the concourse too!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
matrix
Saintsational Legend

umm yeah
the 80s at suburban grounds is different to 2014 in a stadium
it is 34 years ago peoples.

but yeah
country footy atmosphere is the bees knees

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

I agree with Plugger. In 2009 and 2010 I didn't see many threads like this on any Saints forums . Bet there aren't many over at the Hawthorn or Geelong fan forums presently either.

If it is so good why are there two men and a dog at the Essendon v Collingwood game at Vic Park currently on TV?

People are kidding themselves.

You are garbage - Enough said
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I concur

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:I agree with Plugger. In 2009 and 2010 I didn't see many threads like this on any Saints forums . Bet there aren't many over at the Hawthorn or Geelong fan forums presently either.

If it is so good why are there two men and a dog at the Essendon v Collingwood game at Vic Park currently on TV?

People are kidding themselves.
VFL is a totally different standard to AFL but also factor in due to all our electronic devices kids are definitely far less active now than 20 years ago and as a result softer, so the real outdoors cold windy suburban footy experience is a bit harder to take for the youngsters.

Sad but fairly close to the mark IMO.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I concur!

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:I concur!
What's up Jigster?

You've agreed with me about 3 times tonight!

Is that a sign we will win tomorrow?

If it wasn't for the likely rain and foul weather tomorrow the crowd for the march would be massive.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I concur! :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Got to say its long memories but poor memories. I love my local footy but it isnt and never will be the same as AFL footy. Yep its raw but it always has been different. I love AFL footy and I have to be totally honest, if we were going for our 19th straight win as we were in 2009 crap like this wouldnt exist. Funny how we forget round 14 that year or basically any other game that year. Yep its boting now but I remember noy hearing a word when we were getting smashed in the 80's.

I disagree I have always had fonder memories for the old grounds than the modern ones. I got back into footy in the 90s but I spent my formative years going to the old grounds. When you were a kid they were bizarre living places. They all had their different smells and sounds. Princess Park and Windy Hill were like organisms that held little bits of several eras as they developed.

I loved winning games under Lyon but we all still remembered the days we lost but Plugger went on a rampage with equal or more fondness. I found when we got good I kind of got complacent and just expected it. The early 90s were like rain on a drought plagued community. It's never going to be the same game but we have lost a lot to gain some comfort and extra precision and strategy in our game.

I cope very well with the present, I'm more settled and happy that any other time in my life but those days were more invigorating. I sat with the cheer squad against freo and I was getting glared at when I was too loud as I got a bit over excited. A guy who had come from WA to watch the saints was a bit intoxicated and dared to sit in one of the 100 empty seats in the cheer squad and was told to piss off by several of them. I remember having to watch with fingers in ears as a kid up the back of moorabin as the sounds reverberated like a tidal wave off the concrete.

Well you usually cant drink in cheer squads these days so that isnt an issue. If being pissed in a cheer squad is what you want then maybe those days at Moorabbin were better. Also it sounds like you were talking of the days at Moorabbin when you were young. Of course its different you were a kid and now you are an adult. I reckons kids now will be saying the same as you in 20 years time about it being better in the 2010's and thats because when you are kid everything is bigger and better. As for your days when plugger went on a rampage well I think that is a player not a ground. If plugger played today and was just as good we would be going beserk. That isnt the ground though. Footy crowds are different but I still think people only remember the good times at Morrabbin. I can remember days when it was wet and cold and hardly a noise was said under tha massive 12k crowd. I do remember Plugger going beserk. Amazing noise. I remember MG mark. Loundest noise i have ever heard for one single incident in a game apart from maybe Barry and BJ mark GF's.

Why so passionate rainman? I didn't say it's ever going back to the way it was but they have lost some of the intangibles by cleaning up the sport. It's more organised and better run to make money but has lost some of the things that made you feel more a part of the whole experience IMO. I love being part of my kids footy club because you do feel part of a community like the old days of VFL footy. I'm sure like not wearing seatbelts and smoking in pubs that it will not go back to what it was but I still have a right to think it was a more real experience in the past.

You are welcome to have a different opinion, I just don't think the same. This guy wasn't drinking, he was already tipsy, they told him to go pay $80 if he wanted to sit with them after he'd explained he'd come from Perth to watch. He was more into than the CS at least.

No worries. Rainman is goiod. Bye.

defacto
Club Player

starts with the cheer squads IMO. theyve turned into a political group who want to maintain their connection with the club and feel like they are part of the inner workings of it. its like a retirement home. its unbelievably embarrassing and horrid.

the sooner the brush is put through it the better.

attract young people into. make it mandatory attendance to games. if you dont attend x amount of games, then you spot is given to someone else.

Moorabbin Man
Club Player

Indeed, Burkey is on to something. If that forms the basis of the Club's growth strategy going forward, I'm happy.

kalsaint
Club Player

jonesy wrote:It's just a shame it's taken people the best part of a decade about it,the damage is ingrained now. Go back this time 10 years ago and you would of heard me waffling on about it then, hate to see what I'll be like in 10 years time with it. By then it will be akin to a scene out of demolition man when you swear at Edihad...infringement machine will fly down from the roof "One code violation for bad language,please stay seated until you are apprehended"
should keep the paper and use it the way Sly did. No shells around after all.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Totally agree

Suburban footy isn't the same game/same experience as AFL and could never replace watching the elite go at it for mine

I had no problem with the atmosphere at Etihad the night Swarze kicked that 60m goal against the super lions or Aussie Jones kicking a supposed point that looked out on full by a meter...... the joint rocked those games and even the steep Victory room beer prices didn't seem to faze.....

I'll never forget Rd 14 2009 both Saints/Cats undefeated ..... was like a final to see where we really stood against the best...... Riewoldt running back with the flight in qtr 1 not to mention Gardiners mark, goal and weird tongue celebration after he kicked it....that roar that night was enormous.....

Even today...... arctic pissing rain outside and here I was enjoying my air conditioned football...... (even got a smattering of excitement when Billings kicked the snap!!).

Forget nostalgia - we can't and never will go back to packs of drunks on a hill, blood baths and steel beer cans because simply..... it's not 1982. Instead focus on that tribal feeling you felt when you walked in the ground EVERY game in 09 knowing the opposition were pooing themselves about playing the almighty Saints..... THATS the experience I want again soon. Not to be competitive but to be utterly dominant and top 2.............. That's why I'm ok with our current pain as long as the pieces start to fall our way the next couple of drafts/trade periods....

As I said to a Carlton mate Saturday I'd rather be where we are cause we KNOW where we are...... You guys and Tigers are playing round the edges thinking your on the cusp when in reality you paid 700k for a front running mid and Murphy/Gibbs are in their prime...... Yet you guys ain't a serious challenger......... Tick tock.....

“Yeah….nah””