Number 1 pick

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Munga
Saintsational Legend

Re: We don't needed a forward we need a midfield

Agree we need midfielders, but I'm not a huge fan of Petracca from what I've seen...iffy kicks, not what we need

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Munga wrote:Agree we need midfielders, but I'm not a huge fan of Petracca from what I've seen...iffy kicks, not what we need
Ok. Haven't seen him but just going on reports. We need a line breaking midfielder.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
gringo
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:
Munga wrote:Agree we need midfielders, but I'm not a huge fan of Petracca from what I've seen...iffy kicks, not what we need
Ok. Haven't seen him but just going on reports. We need a line breaking midfielder.

He looks good to me. Reminds me of Chapman.

Munga
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:
Well most people have him at no.1, so maybe I haven't seen enough :lol: . I think I have high expectations, but he doesn't look like an exceptional kick :?

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
ace
Saintsational Legend

Re: Number 1 pick

Sundays game between Melbourne and GWS could have a bearing.
If Melbourne wins they get pick No3 leaving GWS with pick No2.

GWS may well want pick 1 and be prepared to trade tentatively pick 2 and 20 to get pick 1.

They have key positions covered so want the best midfielder in the draft - Petracca, they won't want McCartin
St Kilda still gets McCartin at pick No2 (if that is who they want)

If GWS win then Melbourne get pick No2. and everything changes

Melbourne is doing their best to move Frawley on.
If he leaves they hope to get a mid first round pick for him.
He is not that good - no better than an end of round one/start round two pick.
But the AFL may use the opportunity to favour Melbourne and so overrate Frawley and reward Melbourne with a second pick immediately after their first.
Seriously is Frawley better than Dal Santo and as good as Goddard ?

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:Sundays game between Melbourne and GWS could have a bearing.

GWS may well want pick 1 and be prepared to trade tentatively pick 2 and 20 to get pick 1.

They have key positions covered so want the best midfielder in the draft - Petracca, they won't want McCartin

But the AFL may use the opportunity to favour Melbourne and so overrate Frawley and reward Melbourne with a second pick immediately after their first.

It doesnt matter if any of us think Frawley is as good as BJ or Dal. If he goes and the money and contract are close to what they are saying Melbourne will get a pick after their first pick.

Freebird
Club Player

I think you may find the b & f is part of the formula

crippsy
Club Player

Just my opinion but based on comments by the pelican

Earlier this year the pelican stated the blueprint for drafting
3 first round early selections for 2013 tick
3 first round round early selections for 2014

Clearly we need both midfielders and talls

I believe we will trade the first round pick for 2 early selections gws and possibly a player possibly fisher which gives us the ability to draft in am even draft a quality mid and tall

Just a thought

stinger
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:Sundays game between Melbourne and GWS could have a bearing.

T

Gws' second round pick will be pick 22at best.

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
chook23
Saintsational Legend

Petracca kicked 2 today...........not named in best

McCartin kicked 5 today..............named 2nd best

in their TAC cup games

saint4life
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

OK, this is just one bloke's assessment, but he's hardly the proverbial Robinson Crusoe on this.
Petracca has had a dominant year from the start, playing well in most games, and dominating many. His weight of performances sees him move to No.1.

The midfielder has traits like no other in the draft.

He's powerful, quick and explosive, and likes the rough stuff as much as the flashy, which he's particularly good at near goal. Petracca has shown across the year he is ready for the next level, and in his first TAC Cup game after the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships kicked five goals from 32 disposals and 10 marks.
I noted that we went into today's game with such little faith in out midfield that we stacked the backline. When in the second quarter we moved more blokes to even up the numbers at mid field contests we became far more competitive, and forced numerous errors from the Swines.

Strengthening the midfield will mean less of a need to over-protect the defense. That would then mean that when we kick it into our forward 50... we actually have some forwards stationed there to kick it to. :idea:

Then, watch the improved output from the likes of Rhys. :idea:

And don't forget, GWoganS will almost certainly have lose one of their young key forwards at the end of 2015. Why give up the number one draft pick, when all we have to do is wait 12 months...? Use those 12 months to get a much better idea of the likely progress of Rhys, White, Lee and Sippa.

For mine, unless we get a stupendous other offer/opportunity, Petracca is a no-brainer.

(I also note that Lamb is slipping, at least in this bloke's article... fast, fit, agile, can also play key position, can turn a game... would be nice if he could slip to our second pick... come on Saintas, start spreading rumours about his drink, drug and right-wing political tendencies... :twisted: )

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
ace
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:OK, this is just one bloke's assessment, but he's hardly the proverbial Robinson Crusoe on this.
Petracca has had a dominant year from the start, playing well in most games, and dominating many. His weight of performances sees him move to No.1.

The midfielder has traits like no other in the draft.

He's powerful, quick and explosive, and likes the rough stuff as much as the flashy, which he's particularly good at near goal. Petracca has shown across the year he is ready for the next level, and in his first TAC Cup game after the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships kicked five goals from 32 disposals and 10 marks.
I noted that we went into today's game with such little faith in out midfield that we stacked the backline. When in the second quarter we moved more blokes to even up the numbers at mid field contests we became far more competitive, and forced numerous errors from the Swines.

Strengthening the midfield will mean less of a need to over-protect the defense. That would then mean that when we kick it into our forward 50... we actually have some forwards stationed there to kick it to. :idea:

Then, watch the improved output from the likes of Rhys. :idea:

And don't forget, GWoganS will almost certainly have lose one of their young key forwards at the end of 2015. Why give up the number one draft pick, when all we have to do is wait 12 months...? Use those 12 months to get a much better idea of the likely progress of Rhys, White, Lee and Sippa.

For mine, unless we get a stupendous other offer/opportunity, Petracca is a no-brainer.

(I also note that Lamb is slipping, at least in this bloke's article... fast, fit, agile, can also play key position, can turn a game... would be nice if he could slip to our second pick... come on Saintas, start spreading rumours about his drink, drug and right-wing political tendencies... :twisted: )

Yes I love the improvement in Rhys.
If he gets even better, say twice as good, opposition coaches may even consider assigning a defender to play on him instead of two on Riewoldt.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
citywest

What if we did trade down our number 1 pick to say pick 10 and pick 18 for example? Would everyone on here be happy? I certainly would be. With those 2 picks according to AFL.com we could pick up these 2 players......

Paul Ahern (Pick 10)
Half-Forward/Midfielder Calder Cannons
Ahern could be selected in the first handful at the draft, and he has plenty of fans amongst the clubs. There's a reason for that, because he has something that sets him apart - speed. Ahern is quick, and it gets him out of trouble and allows him to set up the play. The gap between his best and worst needs to shrink, but with his class around goal and the midfield, and ability to carry the ball, he can open a game up.

Liam Duggan (Pick 18)
Half-Back/Midfielder Western Jets
Duggan has had a really good year and continues to develop his game. He started the season playing mainly as a half-back or on the wing but has also proved he can be used as an inside midfielder. Uses the ball with poise on his left side :D and does things with a minimum of fuss. Won the AIS-AFL Academy's Ben Mitchell Medal, awarded to the player who best represents the values of the program.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:

Right wing political tendencies?.....that would mean that he is wise beyond his years... :twisted:

stinger
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:What if we did trade down our number 1 pick to say pick 10 and pick 18 for example? Would everyone on here be happy? I certainly would be. With those 2 picks according to AFL.com we could pick up these 2 players......

Paul Ahern (Pick 10)
Ahern could be selected in the first handful at the draft, and he has plenty of fans amongst the clubs. There's a reason for that, because he has something that sets him apart - speed. Ahern is quick, and it gets him out of trouble and allows him to set up the play. The gap between his best and worst needs to shrink, but with his class around goal and the midfield, and ability to carry the ball, he can open a game up.

Liam Duggan (Pick 18)
Duggan has had a really good year and continues to develop his game. He started the season playing mainly as a half-back or on the wing but has also proved he can be used as an inside midfielder. Uses the ball with poise on his left side :D and does things with a minimum of fuss. Won the AIS-AFL Academy's Ben Mitchell Medal, awarded to the player who best represents the values of the program.

What?...two middle of the road players for a potential all Aussie once in a generation player?.. Don't think so.....

citywest

stinger wrote:
citywest wrote:What if we did trade down our number 1 pick to say pick 10 and pick 18 for example? Would everyone on here be happy? I certainly would be. With those 2 picks according to AFL.com we could pick up these 2 players......

Paul Ahern (Pick 10)

Liam Duggan (Pick 18)

What?...two middle of the road players for a potential all Aussie once in a generation player?.. Don't think so.....
We got Dunstan with pick 18. I wouldn't call him a middle of the road player.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

citywest wrote:
stinger wrote:

Paul Ahern (Pick 10)

Liam Duggan (Pick 18)

We got Dunstan with pick 18. I wouldn't call him a middle of the road player.
Dunstan is no Judd or Riewoldt. Our no.1 could be.

Thank god you dont trade for us

You are garbage - Enough said
citywest

How do you know that Dunstan will not be as good as Judd Bunk_Moreland (or whatever you are calling yourself)?

Junior
Club Player

Paton off with injured knee. Hope for the kids sake it is not serious, if serious. Cannot see GWS trading a key forward out if he is gone for another year.

A champion team will always beat a team of champions.
saintjake
Club Player

Looks like Patton has just done his knee again.

Can't see GWS letting go of Boyd or Cameron now.

Shame for the saints and for Patton, hope it's not serious, really want to see how much of a monster he can be

Razor
Club Player

Think we will throw everything at GWS to get Boyd. Not sure the Number 1 pick alone will get the job done. Could see us trading Pick 1 to GWS for Pick 2 + Jaksch. We get a KPP in Jaksch and a key forward in McCartin to replace Riewoldt.

saintjake
Club Player

I'd give up almost anything for Dylan Shiel.
Pace, good skills on either side of his body, gets the hardball, breaks away and has a good defensive side to his game.

Looks a natural leader as well.
Would almost rather him over Boyd ect, will be an absolute star

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

saintjake wrote:I'd give up almost anything for Dylan Shiel.
Pace, good skills on either side of his body, gets the hardball, breaks away and has a good defensive side to his game.

The stoppage goal he just scored against Melbourne was all class

You are garbage - Enough said
70s sainter
Club Player

Paul Ahern (Pick 10)

Liam Duggan (Pick 18)
Too risky ..... What if pick 18 turns out to be dud which is a chance around that pick. Would be very happy trading for one of gws s forwards or petrecca . Not enough big rapts on mc cartin from so called people in the know. How about hogan from melb? Prob not much chance there.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

saintjake wrote:I'd give up almost anything for Dylan Shiel.

Same - wasnt in the paper last week that he committed to the GWS?

It is now officially down to 2.

Us and The Demons for the Number 1 pick. As many of pointed out its not worth anything as I think pick 1-3 probably have the same chance of getting a gun..