Shenton

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: Shenton

MC Gusto wrote:i thought he was one of the best at making space and finding position yesterday. covered a lot of ground and found the ball well.

i would be really disappointed if he wasnt promoted at seasons end. reckon there is a lot to like in shaggy
+1
Im not saying hes going to be a star. But so what. Not many are. Surely. Surely he has done and shown enough for an upgrade and 2 year deal. We cant rely on gilbo, gwilt or fisher in the position and shaggy still has some upside.
Get another pre season into him and he might just step up again next year.
Add to that we dont have many in his age group. Certain keeper for me.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Mon 25 Aug 2014 6:44pm, edited 1 time in total.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

I was not sure about Shenton and so I watched him closely against the Tigers.

I was originally leaning towards upgrading him, but looking back on this game and year he is very one dimensional.
He has run and dash, but that is about it. Has no defensive skills, and always seems to panic. The run and dask looks really good when it happens, but there are larger chunks of the game when he does very little.

In the early part of the game he made two mistakes that started the chain for Tigers goals. ie that deliberate push of the ball out of play that earnt a free kick kick fora deliberate out of play. Was nothing subtle about it.

We may be better to just go with another rookie.

For HBs I would rather play Roberton, Webster or Savage. Delist Gwilt and keep Dempster for another year or two.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saint6709
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:I was not sure about Shenton and so I watched him closely against the Tigers.

I was originally leaning towards upgrading him, but looking back on this game and year he is very one dimensional.
He has run and dash, but that is about it. Has no defensive skills, and always seems to panic. The run and dask looks really good when it happens, but there are larger chunks of the game when he does very little.

In the early part of the game he made two mistakes that started the chain for Tigers goals. ie that deliberate push of the ball out of play that earnt a free kick kick fora deliberate out of play. Was nothing subtle about it.

We may be better to just go with another rookie.

For HBs I would rather play Roberton, Webster or Savage. Delist Gwilt and keep Dempster for another year or two.
I was off Shenton - but his last 2 games keeps him on the list for me - maybe he could become a mid --if you want to isolate instances early in the game instead of his deliberate out of bounds ( which I admit was pretty bad)you could just as easily had said of the first 1 goal 2 behinds we kicked - he had kicked 1 goal 1 from the back flank

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I certainly respect your opinion SR and you may well be right. Hes in the grey area .

Its a shame Robo has had that bad run starting with that concussion and then his ankle as he was really going well for a while in that role. So hopefully he comes back next year in better shape mentally/physically.

And im very bullish on Webster for next season. Savage to me I see playing a Monty role as that sweeper down back pushing fwd.

Schillaci
Club Player

St.Kilda's version of Spangher.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Schillaci wrote:St.Kilda's version of Spangher.

Probably a good comparison but Spangher would be in our best 22 because of where we are at. To me Shents is a keeper because he will be that player that will fill out the mature bodied player profile once we lose Rooey, Joey, Dempster etc. Once those 30yo+ players go Armo and Jack are our senior players. He might not be a super star but he should improve his composure as he becomes used to playing at AFL level. He looked like he was unfit when he started playing in the seniors and has improved to a point where he isn't cramping and sucking in air as much.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
Schillaci wrote:St.Kilda's version of Spangher.
Probably a good comparison but Spangher would be in our best 22 because of where we are at. To me Shents is a keeper because he will be that player that will fill out the mature bodied player profile once we lose Rooey, Joey, Dempster etc. Once those 30yo+ players go Armo and Jack are our senior players. He might not be a super star but he should improve his composure as he becomes used to playing at AFL level. He looked like he was unfit when he started playing in the seniors and has improved to a point where he isn't cramping and sucking in air as much.
I thought he was never going to make it based on his first game. He played a half and could barely breathe afterwards. But you're right that he's improved his tank significantly.

I'm tempted to keep him simply because he's only played 13 games, he's got some versatility and I have a feeling we haven't yet found his ideal position. By the end of next year we'll definitely know if he's going to make it.

But I also wouldn't have a huge issue with letting him go if we thought the extra spot on the list was handy. He's one of the those guys where you need to think about replacement value - if all we get in his place is a punt on pick 80 in the national draft then I'd be happy hanging on to him.