Caleb Daniel

Re: Caleb Daniel

Munga wrote:Caleb Daniel: (SA - 168cm, 66kg, 7/7/96)
168cm!

Ben Cavarra is 173cm, he won the Morrish last year but couldn't find a spot on a list. Tearing it up for Frankston this year but still no guarantee of being drafted. If Daniel gets drafted first time round at 168cm then he must be a superstar.

I do agree with you re size but the difference between the many short morrish medal winners that dont get drafted and this guy is at least he is playing against the big boys and secondly Brad Gotch is a great spotter of talent and an amazingly underated coach.

He's definitely talented enough. Clubs are scared of short guys but Daniel is like Milne bred with Brent Harvey -so quick of mind and body that he should be able to make it. The question is where he will go in the draft he's top 5 on talent but his height means he could go anywhere from the end of the first round to the rookie draft. I would be very keen but i don't really want to talk him up to keep others off his trail.

I hope that last bit is a joke.

Yes it is...I should have put an emoticon for you but once you get over the age of 19 it feels a bit like sticking sparkles on your letters. The lid is off with him. I hope he slips through to somewhere we have a pick....not sure which one though.

Verdun66

He looks an absolute jet. Reading the Big Footy Phantom draft stuff we aren't the only ones looking at him. Everyone is interested.

Looking at some of the old Saints games on You Tube, I am always struck with what a goer Brett Bowey was. He did some fantastic stuff, always in the thick of it. This kid looks to have more than Brett though. How tall was BB?

Verdun66 wrote:Looking at some of the old Saints games on You Tube, I am always struck with what a goer Brett Bowey was. He did some fantastic stuff, always in the thick of it. This kid looks to have more than Brett though. How tall was BB?
According to the wiki, Brett Bowey was 168cm, Brad Gotch 166cm, and Paul Callery 165 cm.

BB always reminded me of Chaka in Land of the Lost.

HitTheBoundary wrote:
Verdun66 wrote:Looking at some of the old Saints games on You Tube, I am always struck with what a goer Brett Bowey was. He did some fantastic stuff, always in the thick of it. This kid looks to have more than Brett though. How tall was BB?
According to the wiki, Brett Bowey was 168cm, Brad Gotch 166cm, and Paul Callery 165 cm.

BB always reminded me of Chaka in Land of the Lost.
I loved Bretty Bowey. Bloody very good player.

I dont really reckon it makes much diff if you are 165-170. You wont be taking any overhead marks anyway. Milney took a lot of marks on his cheat on the lead inside 50 cos he was so good at timing his runs etc. Michael Walters takes high marks but he is 177 and has a huge leap. I dont remember Ballantyne taking many marks overhead. So no reason height will hold this guy back if hes that good.

Is this who you mean HTB?

Con Gorozidis wrote:Is this who you mean HTB?

Yep, twins.

It is the same person.

Just before and after laser hair removal photos.

Verdun66

BB didn't mind a goal either. Snapped a few good ones, and wasn't a bad set shot. The thing about Caleb D is that he kicks it a mile. Goals from beyond 50, no trouble.

HitTheBoundary wrote:
Danny Craven was the shortest of recent times at 162cm. Knew how to find the footy though!

And apparently Jimmy Krakouer was only 167cm, I don't remember him being quite that short.

Con Gorozidis wrote:It is the same person.

Just before and after laser hair removal photos.
Yes, and the hair once removed was transplanted on the shoulders of Alex Marcou.

As for Caleb Daniel, he certainly looks pretty good, but as previously stated by others he is seemingly already on the radar of most teams. It'll be interesting to see what draft picks we end up with and which way we go, depending on who's available.

He's a gun.

Tell me we couldnt do with this guy.

bigred wrote:He's a gun.

Imagine him lining up in the middle vs Freo. Fyfe 190cm, Barlow 191cm, Mundy 192cm. He's 8+ inches shorter than them. That's not even considering the 18 inches he gives away to Sandi!

The ball is on the ground a lot more than in the air, so it will always be closer to him than all of those above.

Hard to tackle, and harder to tackle correctly. If he was a tough in and under, he would get plenty of frees.

Also looks likes a good driver in heavy traffic and knows how to get himself into space.

Also got plenty of toe and endurance.

He's like a speed boat around a bunch of container ships though. He can tackle guys heaps bigger than him. Tony Liberatore style but with mental pace and skills.

saintpeter

The highlights youtube video is very, very impressive. His stats are remarkable.. possessions, goals, disposal efficiency. Height is an issue in the draft and in the reality of AFL. But this guy knows how to play like few I have seen for a long time. Take him in the second round or if available later. I would seriously consider.

Rosco

Would we use our third pick inside 20 on him? We will have 20ishf we don't upgrade / downgrade it

He is this years Lewis Taylor who imo should be the rising star winner and would've been top 10 had he been 10cm taller.

Taylor was 173, Daniel is 167 - its a tough call to make though as I'd still take the 189cm Blake Acres over Taylor any day, I reckon Daniel is a late to rookie selection as anyone in the 160s would surely find it tough

St Ick wrote:He is this years Lewis Taylor who imo should be the rising star winner and would've been top 10 had he been 10cm taller.

Taylor was 173, Daniel is 167 - its a tough call to make though as I'd still take the 189cm Blake Acres over Taylor any day, I reckon Daniel is a late to rookie selection as anyone in the 160s would surely find it tough
Right. The list of players taken in the 160s is short:

https://www.draftguru.com.au/search/heights-to-169

Brent Harvey obviously the massive standout. Next best a tossup between Filandia and Craven. That says something about how hard it is to make it below 170cm!

if he is good enough he will make it

id take him if he was around in the 30s still on draft day

Rising Star Lewis Taylor not much taller

Enough of the short arse players Saints. We need some tall mids to balance the books.

ShanghaiSaint

Jacks Back wrote:Enough of the short arse players Saints. We need some tall mids to balance the books.
no probs with short as long as they're skilled & quick.

HitTheBoundary wrote:
Danny Craven was the shortest of recent times at 162cm. Knew how to find the footy though!

And apparently Jimmy Krakouer was only 167cm, I don't remember him being quite that short.

krakouer is listed at 170cm and 64 k's...not a giant, but then not a midget either....

There's been some very short players that went ok
Libba was only 163
Won under 19s, reserves , senior best and fairests ...along with a Brownlow ( not sure how he won that as he was a bit of scratcher and biter......)
One of the best tacklers ever.
Agree also that with today's rules, it would be hard to tackle him below the shoulders

Could be worth a punt?

supersaints wrote:There's been some very short players that went ok
Libba was only 163
Won under 19s, reserves , senior best and fairests ...along with a Brownlow ( not sure how he won that as he was a bit of scratcher and biter......)
Agree also that with today's rules, it would be hard to tackle him below the shoulders

Could be worth a punt?

He could be but there are many more who didnt and they are hard to name because they werent drafted. I like this guy though because he has good pace and skill and could play as an outside runner where his height want matter near as much. He would find it hard in the middle against the Freo mids.

supersaints wrote:There's been some very short players that went ok
Libba was only 163

Could be worth a punt?

He could be but there are many more who didnt and they are hard to name because they werent drafted. I like this guy though because he has good pace and skill and could play as an outside runner where his height want matter near as much. He would find it hard in the middle against the Freo mids.
He does have a very good tackling technique where he pins the arms and latches to much taller players. He's so quick he rarely gets caught holding on to the ball or gets rid of it too quick for the bigger guys. He a very twitchy frenetic type. If any short guy could make an impact he could.