2014 List Management - Draft & Trade Discussion

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Re: 2014 List Management - Draft & Trade Discussion

WinnersOnly wrote:
FQF wrote:
The Redeemer wrote:I would happily trade for Sam Frost from GWS
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-09-04/f ... the-ground
Sam FROST is exactly what we need down back in our defensive unit. He is exceptionally quick, big strong and aggressive and could play on any of the tall forwards as match ups required. I know Plugger was never a fan of the Frost boys but I have seen a fair bit of him with GWS and too me he will be an absolute ripper and exactly the defender we need! If I was part of the Pelchen recruitment team I would be all over getting Frost to the Saints...
He looks a good option. But who are we trading?

Always loyal
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:
FQF wrote:
The Redeemer wrote:I would happily trade for Sam Frost from GWS
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-09-04/f ... the-ground
Sam FROST is exactly what we need down back in our defensive unit. He is exceptionally quick, big strong and aggressive and could play on any of the tall forwards as match ups required. I know Plugger was never a fan of the Frost boys but I have seen a fair bit of him with GWS and too me he will be an absolute ripper and exactly the defender we need! If I was part of the Pelchen recruitment team I would be all over getting Frost to the Saints...

Never a fan of the Frost boys? Where did you come up with that? They come from my club and i want every single player from my local club to succeed. Im unsure sam will but i hope he does.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:The Australian is reporting Gwilt to be signed by GWS.

Maybe a lower dp compo pick for him.
Be nice if we get something. But may be too low to be usable.

Perhaps he could be the sweetener in another trade deal just so that the deal is done.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:The Australian is reporting Gwilt to be signed by GWS.

Maybe a lower dp compo pick for him.
Be nice if we get something. But may be too low to be usable.

Perhaps he could be the sweetener in another trade deal just so that the deal is done.

He is delisted so we cant get something and we wouldnt anyway. Have a look over the last 2 years of players that havent got compo picks.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2014-09-05/sai ... trade-hard

Begs the question - if we're not trading pick 1 how does pelch get the second pick inside the top 21??

Armo? Maybe
Steven? Yea
Monty? At a stretch with a later round pick perhaps
Stanley? As above probably with an earlier pick

Who else? How else?

Would have thought pick 1 and a player for a package deal of picks / players is the only way... Of course pelch may look to do a series of trades including 'on trades' to get there..

I can't wait for November!

#1 Ryder fan
bigballs
Club Player

If we're not going to trade pick 1 to get that extra pick inside 21 that they want, then brace yourself for another surprise like last year (McEvoy/Dal Santo). I'm not saying this will happen, but with Jason Holmes showing some steady improvement at Sandy, plus the fact that he was close to getting a senior berth this season according to Richo, I wouldn't be surprised if either Hickey or Longer goes.....those two are probably the only two with any real value given their ages. We don't need five ruckman on the books imo.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

bigballs wrote:If we're not going to trade pick 1 to get that extra pick inside 21 that they want, then brace yourself for another surprise like last year (McEvoy/Dal Santo). I'm not saying this will happen, but with Jason Holmes showing some steady improvement at Sandy, plus the fact that he was close to getting a senior berth this season according to Richo, I wouldn't be surprised if either Hickey or Longer goes.....those two are probably the only two with any value. We don't need five ruckman on the books imo.
Whilst I understand what you're saying, and acknowledge Pelchen is considered to be quite ruthless, we need to be a little bit careful here.

Attracting young talent, only to on-trade them a year or two later (for whatever reason) may make it difficult to attract other young talent going forward.

We need to be aware of what messages we are sending to the football community.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

bigballs wrote:If we're not going to trade pick 1 to get that extra pick inside 21 that they want, then brace yourself for another surprise like last year (McEvoy/Dal Santo). I'm not saying this will happen, but with Jason Holmes showing some steady improvement at Sandy, plus the fact that he was close to getting a senior berth this season according to Richo, I wouldn't be surprised if either Hickey or Longer goes.....those two are probably the only two with any real value given their ages. We don't need five ruckman on the books imo.
How does trading pick 1 get us two picks in the top 21?

I think the only way we can possibly get another top 20 is from trading Jack, Armo or Joey.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
bigballs wrote:If we're not going to trade pick 1 to get that extra pick inside 21 that they want, then brace yourself for another surprise like last year (McEvoy/Dal Santo). I'm not saying this will happen, but with Jason Holmes showing some steady improvement at Sandy, plus the fact that he was close to getting a senior berth this season according to Richo, I wouldn't be surprised if either Hickey or Longer goes.....those two are probably the only two with any real value given their ages. We don't need five ruckman on the books imo.

I think the only way we can possibly get another top 20 is from trading Jack, Armo or Joey.
Pick 1 for picks 3 & 20 from GWS. Perhaps a player thrown in as well.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

Pick 1 for picks 3 & 20 from GWS. Perhaps a player thrown in as well.
Possible yep. Do GWS have pick 20?

Thats probable the only combo? So wed get say 3, 20, 21?

St Loxton
Club Player

Im thinking trading joey is on the cards for a low pick. He probably wont b around when we seriously challenge again and even if he is still around next year it wont change where we finish. A full rebuild is where we are at.

luc1966
Club Player

I wouldn't be surprised if we do the two players for pick one an get pick 3. Then pelchen will come out and say we see the two players we get as top twenty players ect. Get the drift?

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

luc1966 wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if we do the two players for pick one an get pick 3. Then pelchen will come out and say we see the two players we get as top twenty players ect. Get the drift?
it is perfectly acceptable too.

With so many high draft picks, players (from GWS) are simply going to fall through the cracks.

That being stated, we are in a position through ladder position thus draft position to take advantage and why not?

If we can manufacture a Dom Tyson-style trade then it would be for the best.

We need quantity. The quality should take care of itself.

Gershwin
Club Player

The Redeemer wrote:
luc1966 wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if we do the two players for pick one an get pick 3. Then pelchen will come out and say we see the two players we get as top twenty players ect. Get the drift?
it is perfectly acceptable too.

With so many high draft picks, players (from GWS) are simply going to fall through the cracks.

That being stated, we are in a position through ladder position thus draft position to take advantage and why not?

If we can manufacture a Dom Tyson-style trade then it would be for the best.

We need quantity. The quality should take care of itself.
Totally disagree with the quantity/quality statement.

We need quality. The likes of Murdoch, Saunders, Ross, Curren etc give us quantity but only Billings gives us quality. We must not give up getting the best player available now that we have that selection.

summertime and the living is easy ........
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I don't u/s why so many look to trade pick one

we would undoubtedly get with pick 1, the best player available based on the existing data...

I get the maximise your chances thing but hte whole point is to get the best player which we have a shot of doing

to trade pick 1 for say 2 picks inside 20 that are less rated... seems off to me especially if their is a clear stand out which there is apparently

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

We could also trade with Gold Coast. They have picks 7 and the pick immediately following Geelongs pick in the first round. Pick 17 at this stage, but the way Geelong played tonight could be as low as 14.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:We could also trade with Gold Coast. They have picks 7 and the pick immediately following Geelongs pick in the first round. Pick 17 at this stage, but the way Geelong played tonight could be as low as 14.

Thanks for that info Baz - that sounds at least plausible..... 1 for 7 and 16 is probably a semi realistic trade . that would give us 7,16,20 instead of 1,20. probably fair if the recruiters dont see a stand out player in the top 5.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Sat 06 Sep 2014 12:39am, edited 2 times in total.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

yep. thats kind of the feeling i get too...

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Anyway u slice it or dice we can't afford a single mistake in trading or drafting.
on top of that we need some luck with later picks.

Its bloody hard to get 10 good players in 3 years but somehow that's what we have to do.

SaintWodonga
Club Player

Richo said at the B&F that we will have 8-9 new players on our list in 2015 (a few more delistings yet). Via Saints Twitter:

AR: We didn't just want to be competitive, we want to be a great team. In order to do that we needed to go to the draft

AR: We are on a journey to be a really successful. We are going to bring in another eight or nine players.

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
evo
Club Player

Marksworth and Lee singed until 2016

SaintWodonga
Club Player

evo wrote:Marksworth and Lee singed until 2016
Did that happen recently?

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
evo
Club Player

SaintWodonga wrote:
evo wrote:Marksworth and Lee singed until 2016
Did that happen recently?
Today, wont be announced until September when reveal mass signings

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:We could also trade with Gold Coast. They have picks 7 and the pick immediately following Geelongs pick in the first round. Pick 17 at this stage, but the way Geelong played tonight could be as low as 14.
Actually it's 16 at this point:

https://www.draftguru.com.au/years/2014 ... raft-order

And could be as low as 13 - but only if Geelong and Sydney both go out in straight sets.

Should we give 1 for 7 and 16? I'd do that. It would give us 7, 16, 21, 39. Last year that would have been: Aish, Darcy Lang, Impey, Cameron Giles. The year before: Wines, Jackson Thurlow, Hrovat, Max Duffy. The year before: Haynes, Tom Sheridan, Tom Mitchell (f/s), Michael Talia.

7 has actually been a really solid pick over the years:

https://www.draftguru.com.au/picks/7

gringo
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
Actually it's 16 at this point:

https://www.draftguru.com.au/years/2014 ... raft-order

And could be as low as 13 - but only if Geelong and Sydney both go out in straight sets.

Should we give 1 for 7 and 16? I'd do that. It would give us 7, 16, 21, 39. Last year that would have been: Aish, Darcy Lang, Impey, Cameron Giles. The year before: Wines, Jackson Thurlow, Hrovat, Max Duffy. The year before: Haynes, Tom Sheridan, Tom Mitchell (f/s), Michael Talia.

7 has actually been a really solid pick over the years:

https://www.draftguru.com.au/picks/7
They would be laughing at us. Not unless we can get a kid from them like O meara and 7. Two top 10 picks or use it yourself.