Ross Lyon after today

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Ross Lyon after today

plugger66 wrote:
SideshowMilne wrote:To be fair I reckon his brief at St Kilda and Freo was 'just bloody win the thing'. Yes it came at a huge 'list' expense but both clubs just need/want to win 1 and go back to being carp and everyone's ok. If he tries to evolve freo and doesn't get there, he's failed more.

Thats exactly right. If people couldnt see that our list was going to be stuffed after our recruiting and drafting in that period then they had their eyes closed. Was it worth the punt. Bloody oath it was. We didnt win one though so the Lyon haters can take solice in that now and the RL supporters dont have much to hang their hat on apart from saying the weeks leading into the GFs were fantastic.
Dislike the man, and do think he was just short of the required mentality and quality to lead us to a flag.
But as to your point. Yes the buggered future list was obvious. and bloody oath it was worth the risk!
No point fans whinging about it now. Now is a new generation. Starting from scratch.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:If people hats him so be it.
It shouldn't effect anyone else .

I don't hate him as I don't know him
But I'm glad he lost.
And you probably wouldn't want to know him.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Have always been dissapointed to lose Grant Thomas. Thougt he was passionate about the long term future of the Saints. He took on the team at a low point and developed an excellent group. He was unlucky with injuries. Ross Lyon inherited an excellent team, then he took away GT's attacking mentality and introduced his defensive Sydney model. It didnt work. Teams with McWalter & Eddy don't win flags. Happy we have moved on. Pelchan & Richardson give me confidence they are motivated to develop a squad to take us to future success.

stevie
Saintsational Legend

I've said it a few times now and we all prolly feel the same but...we win either or both 09 and 10 and frankly I wouldn't care how we went for years afterward. I WOULD BE HAPPY FOREVER! And the following scenario:

4 wins this year and the spoon? SHRUGS AND PUTS ON THE 2009 ST KILDA PREMIERS DVD

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

SideshowMilne wrote:To be fair I reckon his brief at St Kilda and Freo was 'just bloody win the thing'. Yes it came at a huge 'list' expense but both clubs just need/want to win 1 and go back to being carp and everyone's ok. If he tries to evolve freo and doesn't get there, he's failed more.
Exactly.

As I see things:

Yes as noted his brief was to win the GF and to win it now.

1/ Hate the way Lyon left. Has left a sour taste.
2/ Yes he is a "grumpy" guy
3/ He is a brilliant coach (Have a listen to his players say about him, and in particular when they discuss all their coaches. Have a listen what neutral people who really know their football say about him as a coach)
4/ Most StKilda fans IMO overate how good the list was that he took over. If was a good list, but not a great list. Too many fans were mesmerised by the quality of our top 5 or so players were, and ignore how bad our bottom third were, and that our middle third was not that flash either. They also ignore how shallow our depth was outside of the 22, and rail on about not playing more talented youth, when there was really very little to play. I mean by comparison have a look at the Swans, or Hawks 22s, this year which both bristle with talent. The Swans have for example Gary Rohan FFS playing out of a back pocket!!!! That is ow deep their talent is.
5/ He developed a game plan that overcame our list weaknesses, of which their were many. IMO we would never have played off in Grand Finals with his input. I very much doubt that any other coached would have done as well or better.
6/ The not playing youth aspect is basically a myth as there was basically no quality youth to play. Howard, Sweeney etc etc.. We had the AFL's worst recruiting of young players in the draft for GT's later years and Lyon's tenure. This was not either coaches fault. They were victims. Fans rail on about not playing say Armo (one of our few early picks available to Lyon). Now that he is mature and playing regularly is he a superstar? No, he is good average hard working mid, and yet he has been one of the very small number of kids drafted to survive. Ben another low pick. Taken by Hawthorn now, but a rookie elevation is now preferred by them. We are now where we are in the main due to this abysmal recruiting black hole (accelerated by Pelchen's strategy to let good players go to get more youth to rebuild more quickly <we hope this works!!>
6/ He has improved Freo. He may not win a GF with them either, but they are clearly a better team. Yes he secured a good list, rather than a bottom four list. But they were not a best list in the competition either. Like St Kilda, he has had to try and win a GF with a good list, rather than a great list.
7/ Geelong: Hats off to them, their recruiting head guy is amazing (we hired his off-sider, but the apprentice was a dud). Yes they have blended in youth, BUT they have had regular very good youth to blend in. Interesting to note too that in recent years that they have turned more and more to recycling players from other clubs. McKernan, Rivers.....
8/ Hawks: Superb recruiting as well. Both kids, and their recruits from other clubs have in the main been inspired such as Burgoyne, Guerra, Hale (Ben is an exception!). Clarkson like Lyon, very grumpy, but a great coach and very innovative on game plans.
9/ Swans. Their drafting and trading department top notch too (anyone else starting to see a connection here with teams and GF success!!!) But as noted by P66 in this thread their salary cap advantageis clearly unfair. What other team could have secured both Tippet and Buddy in a list already bursting with talent? So they have topped up some very good drafting of kids , and trading in some superb picks from over clubs that were under-performing (Kennedy, LRT etc) with some star players that other clubs could not afford.
10/ Pies. Have had mega-bucks to through at every player advantage and and in locating talent. But has anyone else noted that following their flag against us in a year where it was officially noted that players had produced positive samples, but within limits, but where drug-testing was ramped up in later years that they have gone backwards? Coincidence? I think not.
11/ Freo: Who thinks that their drafting of kids was as good as Swans/Cats/Hawks? And for many years their trades were held up to ridicule.

Personally with Lyon, I believe that many St Kilda fans express their huge disappointment of not winning a flag unfairly by now making Lyon the bogey man. That he is naturally terse, just makes it all the easier.

It burns in my gut too that we did not win at least one flag. But personally my belief is that without Lyon we would never have made the Grand Final in either year.

He left us poorly, but equally our board stuffed around wit his contract that year with long drawn out negotiations which opened the door to Freo to pounce.

But he also left us with a period in which other teams, and fans feared and respected us. In all of my time of following the Saints I have never experienced that before. Never. 97 came close.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
Exactly.

As I see things:

Yes as noted his brief was to win the GF and to win it now.

1/ Hate the way Lyon left. Has left a sour taste.
2/ Yes he is a "grumpy" guy
3/ He is a brilliant coach (Have a listen to his players say about him, and in particular when they discuss all their coaches. Have a listen what neutral people who really know their football say about him as a coach)
4/ Most StKilda fans IMO overate how good the list was that he took over. If was a good list, but not a great list. Too many fans were mesmerised by the quality of our top 5 or so players were, and ignore how bad our bottom third were, and that our middle third was not that flash either. They also ignore how shallow our depth was outside of the 22, and rail on about not playing more talented youth, when there was really very little to play. I mean by comparison have a look at the Swans, or Hawks 22s, this year which both bristle with talent. The Swans have for example Gary Rohan FFS playing out of a back pocket!!!! That is ow deep their talent is.
5/ He developed a game plan that overcame our list weaknesses, of which their were many. IMO we would never have played off in Grand Finals with his input. I very much doubt that any other coached would have done as well or better.
6/ The not playing youth aspect is basically a myth as there was basically no quality youth to play. Howard, Sweeney etc etc.. We had the AFL's worst recruiting of young players in the draft for GT's later years and Lyon's tenure. This was not either coaches fault. They were victims. Fans rail on about not playing say Armo (one of our few early picks available to Lyon). Now that he is mature and playing regularly is he a superstar? No, he is good average hard working mid, and yet he has been one of the very small number of kids drafted to survive. Ben another low pick. Taken by Hawthorn now, but a rookie elevation is now preferred by them. We are now where we are in the main due to this abysmal recruiting black hole (accelerated by Pelchen's strategy to let good players go to get more youth to rebuild more quickly <we hope this works!!>
6/ He has improved Freo. He may not win a GF with them either, but they are clearly a better team. Yes he secured a good list, rather than a bottom four list. But they were not a best list in the competition either. Like St Kilda, he has had to try and win a GF with a good list, rather than a great list.
7/ Geelong: Hats off to them, their recruiting head guy is amazing (we hired his off-sider, but the apprentice was a dud). Yes they have blended in youth, BUT they have had regular very good youth to blend in. Interesting to note too that in recent years that they have turned more and more to recycling players from other clubs. McKernan, Rivers.....
8/ Hawks: Superb recruiting as well. Both kids, and their recruits from other clubs have in the main been inspired such as Burgoyne, Guerra, Hale (Ben is an exception!). Clarkson like Lyon, very grumpy, but a great coach and very innovative on game plans.
9/ Swans. Their drafting and trading department top notch too (anyone else starting to see a connection here with teams and GF success!!!) But as noted by P66 in this thread their salary cap advantageis clearly unfair. What other team could have secured both Tippet and Buddy in a list already bursting with talent? So they have topped up some very good drafting of kids , and trading in some superb picks from over clubs that were under-performing (Kennedy, LRT etc) with some star players that other clubs could not afford.
10/ Pies. Have had mega-bucks to through at every player advantage and and in locating talent. But has anyone else noted that following their flag against us in a year where it was officially noted that players had produced positive samples, but within limits, but where drug-testing was ramped up in later years that they have gone backwards? Coincidence? I think not.
11/ Freo: Who thinks that their drafting of kids was as good as Swans/Cats/Hawks? And for many years their trades were held up to ridicule.

Personally with Lyon, I believe that many St Kilda fans express their huge disappointment of not winning a flag unfairly by now making Lyon the bogey man. That he is naturally terse, just makes it all the easier.

It burns in my gut too that we did not win at least one flag. But personally my belief is that without Lyon we would never have made the Grand Final in either year.

He left us poorly, but equally our board stuffed around wit his contract that year with long drawn out negotiations which opened the door to Freo to pounce.

But he also left us with a period in which other teams, and fans feared and respected us. In all of my time of following the Saints I have never experienced that before. Never. 97 came close.

Give this man a chocolate.

And if Michael Walters isn't the best example of developing youth - I don't know what is. Developed him into a professional to realise his talent. He improves all players, motivates, challenges all 22 that take the field. Not the best 5 or 7 or ones with just amazing natural talent.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

If his game plans are crap how does he keep getting there? To get over the line requires a lot of luck. Geelong had it we didn't. The rest is history. He's a turd for how he left but his match day coaching is very sound. West Coast should have made a grand final a couple of times recently with their list. Maybe they should have called Ross.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Time heals for me as a fan and I can appreciate that as professionals the Saints players and Ross will always have a bond for being on the journey together for more than 5 whole years, but the messiah worshiping on this site nearly made me puke when I first joined the forum. The fact remains that the Saints played off in CONSECUTIVE prelimS only a very short time before Lyon stepped foot into the club as an employee. THAT'S RIGHT -JUST 12 MONTHS PRIOR TO RL BEING APPOINTED THE STKFC WAS AN INCH AWAY FROM A GRAND FINAL.

The Saints team prior to RL was good enough to challenge and they proved as individuals and as a playing list that it was no fluke that they were contenders over consecutive years. BUT the buck always stops with the head coach. The fact remains that we underperformed in finals under Ross Lyon.

It was important for a balanced view on this forum when our club was contemplating whether to keep Ross or whether we needed to change at the end of 2011. Was it the players who had failed or was it the coaches weaknesses that had been the main reason we failed?

As an employee and as a coach, Ross Lyon went through a lot of learning at our club and he owes a great debt to the St Kilda football club for his professional career rather than the other way around.
Last edited by Scollop on Sun 07 Sep 2014 3:43pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:Time heals for me as a fan and I can appreciate that as professionals the Saints players and Ross will always have a bond for being on the journey together for more than 5 whole years, but the messiah worshiping on this site nearly made me puke when I first joined the forum. The fact remains that the Saints played off in CONSECUTIVE prelimS only a very short time before Lyon stepped foot into the club as an employee. THAT'S RIGHT -JUST 12 MONTHS PRIOR TO RL BEING APPOINTED THE STFC WAS AN INCH AWAY FROM A GRAND FINAL.

The Saints team prior to RL was good enough to challenge and they proved as individuals and as a playing list that it was no fluke that they were contenders over consecutive years. BUT the buck always stops with the head coach. The fact remains that we underperformed in finals under Ross Lyon.

It was important for a balanced view on this forum when our club was contemplating whether to keep Ross or whether we needed to change at the end of 2011. Was it the players who had failed or was it the coaches weaknesses that had been the main reason we failed?

As an employee and as a coach, Ross Lyon went through a lot of learning at our club and he owes a great debt to the St Kilda football club for his professional career rather than the other way around.

STOP THE PRESS - AN INCH AWAY FROM A GF....

Imagine being a half an inch away from a flag...

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

SO....in other words - if you're not good enough - you're just not good enough!!

I totally agree Spinner - RL was just not good enough

He had the cattle. He failed. I love our players and will always thank them for their efforts in that period and the wonderful football they gave us in 2009/2010. They are the heroes - not Rossy

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:SO....in other words - if you're not good enough - you're just not good enough!!

I totally agree Spinner - RL was just not good enough

He had the cattle. He failed. I love our players and will always thank them for their efforts in that period and the wonderful football they gave us in 2009/2010. They are the heroes - not Rossy

I don't agree with anything you say.

Arnt you the one that wanted to rest all the players for the second half of the season in 2009? I can never remember, but I definitely don't agree with you.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Ross has done a great job with Michael Walters.

But I think the point of the op is about his future . Not rehashing old arguments. His years at our club left a huge hole but that was a club wide problem.
Ross certainly didnt help with his attitude towards youth but the recruiters have to shoulder some blame as well.

But where to from here? I think his chance to get a flag at freo has gone unless he recruits mitch Clark who becomes a star.

Maybe he can fluke another job at the Suns or Dogs?

FQF
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote:Ross has done a great job with Michael Walters.

But I think the point of the op is about his future . Not rehashing old arguments. His years at our club left a huge hole but that was a club wide problem.
Ross certainly didnt help with his attitude towards youth but the recruiters have to shoulder some blame as well.

But where to from here? I think his chance to get a flag at freo has gone unless he recruits mitch Clark who becomes a star.

What do you mean fluke? He is still widely considered to be in the top handful of coaches in the league and he will be coaching for a long time yet. There are no coaching vacancies right this moment, but there will be inevitably, and if he wants a position, he would get it.

Prediction: Collingwood have another poor season next year and don't make the 8, Buckley gets pushed out and Lyon takes over.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:Ross has done a great job with Michael Walters.

What do you mean fluke? He is still widely considered to be in the top handful of coaches in the league and he will be coaching for a long time yet. There are no coaching vacancies right this moment, but there will be inevitably, and if he wants a position, he would get it.

Prediction: Collingwood have another poor season next year and don't make the 8, Buckley gets pushed out and Lyon takes over.
by fluke I mean right place and right time and right list.
not many sr coaching jobs become available.
I am talking about his odds of getting a flag.
he may well get another job but the chances he will get a list capable of winning a flag are slim.

ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

Agreed with previous comment.

You don't win flags with players like MCqualter and Eddy (AND RAPH CLARKE) in a grand final teams.

What is dead may never die, but rises again harder and stronger.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

nobody seems to care about the fan incident other than me...

I wonder if maybe Lyon has been threatened or stalked off the record

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

ralphsmith wrote:Agreed with previous comment.

You don't win flags with players like MCqualter and Eddy (AND RAPH CLARKE) in a grand final teams.
tend to agree. if lyon was smarter he might have worked out in 2007/8 he needed another 3 or 4 decent players in the squad to win a flag and made more effort to find them.

look at clarkson - he realises you need a squad of 25 good players to win a flag.

lyon tried to win won with 18 good players. we were always a couple of players short - and he did nothing to find the extra few players we needed.

andrewg
Club Player

BJ losing last night in and Ross losing yesterday just made my weekend.......I hate them both.

Del is lazy but gee he can kick

Behind Play
Club Player

I detest this man with extreme passion. Not for leaving as he is a carrier coach but for how he left us. I hope the AFL throw the book at him for touching a supporter. Very precious and not a nice person at all from what i have been told by those ether know him.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Behind Play wrote:I detest this man with extreme passion. Not for leaving as he is a carrier coach but for how he left us. I hope the AFL throw the book at him for touching a supporter. Very precious and not a nice person at all from what i have been told by those ether know him.

You obviously dont rate our stars who rate RL like Lenny and rooy. Maybe those like them who know are poor judges and people like you who I doubt know him are the good judges.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I took some French friends to the footy recently and we sat next to the aisles that are where the coaches come down to the ground. They couldn't believe you could touch a professional coach from your seat. They afl should not have fans and coaches near each other or one day some nut will knife one.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Let's hope Port's easy win gives them a slight chance against Freo. Slight at best.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Let's hope Port's easy win gives them a slight chance against Freo. Slight at best.

Lets hope not.

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Good points well made, saintsRrising.

Always loyal
Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

ralphsmith wrote:Agreed with previous comment.

Ro$$'s strange obsession with his role players -- McQualter, Eddy, Raph Clarke and even Blake and Dawson -- stood in sharp contrast to his seeming disdain for some of the heart-and-soul players -- Ball, Hudghton, Maguire -- and his disinclination to give game-time to some of the more promising young players: Armo, Geary, even Jack Steven.

A great tactical coach with a fair bit of mongrel in him (like many successful coaches), but his mental issues and insecurities probably prevented us from going the full distance.