Positive from the year...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Positive from the year...

While I've admittedly been critical of a lot this year, I like the idea of an award created by the players for the players. That would mean a lot to the guy who won it, almost like an internal MVP.

What is something you've seen this year that you thinks a positive?

Saint wagga
Club Player

Re: Positive from the year...

There's plenty of positives from the year IMO but if I was list one, it was the immediate impact at AFL level that Dunstan and Billings had. Add to that the number of games both were able to chalk up and that's a big big positive for me :-)

PJ
SS Life Member

When an entire rookie list gets elevated it tells me something must right in our development coaching and selection

A coach that seems grounded, respected and speaks without hyperbole

Relatively speaking all of our drafted and traded players showed something

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:When an entire rookie list gets elevated it tells me something must right in our development coaching and selection

A coach that seems grounded, respected and speaks without hyperbole

Relatively speaking all of our drafted and traded players showed something

Geelong pretty much built their greatest era around 1 draft. Hopefully this is the one we talk about in 10 years. Some very very promising kids this year. Big Spencer has got me a bit over excited too.

FQF
SS Life Member

Bruce
Delaney
Savage
Dunstan
Billings
Templeton
Weller
Shenton
Hickey (in first few games)
Newnes
Fisher

I think all those guys had positive seasons. Probably more too.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

We were competitive early on and we had a horror run with injuries that cost us the competitiveness in the end. A team that lost Armo, Hickey, Geary and Steven for long periods after giving up a couple of our key midfielders in the last couple of years was always going to struggle. Add to that injuries to Wright, Lee, Eli, Siposs, Markworth, Fisher, Gilbert, Roberton, Pierce, Acres and Maister and it's a wonder we could field a team.

SaintWodonga
Club Player

As the media bag us for our results, they have forgotten a couple of important things:

A) a huge injury list

B) we never played the dogs, GWS, Melb, Brisbane more than once. We were the only bottom team not to inflate our wins by playing each other twice. Another draw issue.

These 2 factors don't get a mention and when you put it in perspective, I think we under performed as a result.

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I like the changes we've made in the off-season so far... and I like that fact that Gwilt and Jones were exited in a respectful manner like they deserved

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

No player scandals...

AR provided a very stable and considered foundation for the club to build around!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:While I've admittedly been critical of a lot this year, I like the idea of an award created by the players for the players. That would mean a lot to the guy who won it, almost like an internal MVP.

What is something you've seen this year that you thinks a positive?
Being critical a lot would be an understatement. But you never really come out and detailed your criticism in any logical or understandable manner, just hid behind cryptic and vague pot shots.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Nothing very positive this season, the most positive thing is that it's over for us. A few little snippets here and there there from a few promising players doesn't amount to much- I'm more looking at the team and how the team is performing, and as a unit at any time it rarely performed well, and mostly depended on what influence Roo had on any particular game. Roo started with a bang like the season before, but his influence gradually lessened. Season 2015 will see the pressure on AR to improve team performances, and that will require rejigging the midfield and forward lines especially. Let's hope we do some smart recruiting and list management. I'm happy that Shenton is now elevated to the seniors.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:Nothing very positive this season, the most positive thing is that it's over for us. A few little snippets here and there there from a few promising players doesn't amount to much- I'm more looking at the team and how the team is performing, and as a unit at any time it rarely performed well, and mostly depended on what influence Roo had on any particular game. Roo started with a bang like the season before, but his influence gradually lessened. Season 2015 will see the pressure on AR to improve team performances, and that will require rejigging the midfield and forward lines especially. Let's hope we do some smart recruiting and list management. I'm happy that Shenton is now elevated to the seniors.

Think you are going to be very disappointed if looking for more wins. AR has got the worst list in the AFL to work with. You always ignore the fact that Roos, a very goodd coach, couldnt get more wins than us for the season. And their list is clearly better at this stage. And they didnt have the injuries we had and had a slightly better draw. Why is that so Spert?

Austinnn
Club Player

The off-field appointments seemed positive to me, but time will tell. Certainly the new president and his approach gets a tick in his first year. The first year of a mention of a return to JO has to be a positive step. On field, Spencer's debut, Eli, Dunstan, Billings, Shenton taking his chance, the McEvoy/Savage+ trade, the love for Lenny, Jason Holmes being so much more than a desperate punt on a dream. In a low year, I'll take those things.

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
oh when the
Club Player

Most games the opp were able to kick abt 6 goals in a row, which stopped us being competitive for the rest of the game.... with Fisher & Gilbert able play most games next year we maybe be able to stop those floods of goals.

spot on
Club Player

I like the fact that we have a plan and are sticking to it. This year was always gonna happen. Glad to see most of the new players are showing something and the ones that haven't have already been cut. There's only a few players on our list right now that I think are a bit of deadwood atm. Roberton is one, maybe that leg injury in the last game hurt his pre season. Schneider looks cooked to me. Would rather Minch and Eli play his roll. I'm not convinced trading for billy longer was a good move right now, could of got another mid with that pick. Lee worrys me too, just doesn't seem desperate enough. Was really happy how he finished that season last year and did nothing at all this year.

saintbob
SS Life Member

FQF wrote:Bruce
Delaney
Savage
Dunstan
Billings
Templeton
Weller
Shenton
Hickey (in first few games)
Newnes
Fisher

I think all those guys had positive seasons. Probably more too.
Agree, plus we got a look at Acres and White who both showed with another preseason they'll become regulars.

Ross and Webster again showed that they've got the ability, Ross needs to work really hard on his run and spread and Webster needs a bit more luck on the injury front and needs to pull his head in a bit when he comes home.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

needs to pull his head in a bit when he comes home?

explain :?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Getting plenty of experience into young blokes was the big positive for me

2014 games - career games

Savage - 14 - 70
Ross - 13 - 27
Billings - 16 - 16
Newnes - 22 - 47
Delaney - 22 - 48
Curren - 16 - 23
Bruce - 10 - 24
Stanley - 19 - 58
Webster - 11 - 22
Murdoch - 9 - 17
Wright - 7 - 15
Saunders - 10 - 20
Dunstan - 16 - 16
Shenton - 13 - 14
Weller - 16 - 48

Plus cameos from Minchington, Templeton & Acres

The sooner this group of players edge closer to 50-70+ games, it's no fluke that the guys we saw come on are heading into this zone of games played.

Billings is stirring excitement like when Dal first arrived… just on a different level IMO.

spert
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
spert wrote:Nothing very positive this season, the most positive thing is that it's over for us. A few little snippets here and there there from a few promising players doesn't amount to much- I'm more looking at the team and how the team is performing, and as a unit at any time it rarely performed well, and mostly depended on what influence Roo had on any particular game. Roo started with a bang like the season before, but his influence gradually lessened. Season 2015 will see the pressure on AR to improve team performances, and that will require rejigging the midfield and forward lines especially. Let's hope we do some smart recruiting and list management. I'm happy that Shenton is now elevated to the seniors.

Think you are going to be very disappointed if looking for more wins. AR has got the worst list in the AFL to work with. You always ignore the fact that Roos, a very goodd coach, couldnt get more wins than us for the season. And their list is clearly better at this stage. And they didnt have the injuries we had and had a slightly better draw. Why is that so Spert?
Not interested in Melbourne or whatever they or any other club are doing- if you reckon Melbourne's list is better than ours in 2013 then you're kidding yourself, they are woeful, and have a defeatist attitude, and Roos had to be dragged out of retirement to coach in order to give a crap club some kind of respected figurehead.. his heart isn't in it and it shows..similar to Blight with us. You can trot out all the excuses you like in true St Kilda fashion, but there was a unacceptable lack of competitive efforts in too many games more than anything this season, and you don't need a bunch of stars to be competitive...it's a team thing that the coach is mostly responsible for, and I hope that will be addressed next season.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:you don't need a bunch of stars to be competitive...
Yes you do, your reasoning here is absurd.

Curren, Weller, Ross, Murdoch, vs Hannebery, Jack, Parker, Kennedy

Gwilt, Simpkin, Roberton, Bruce vs Franklin, Tippett, Reid, Goodes

Trying hard isn't going to be enough against the best in the comp, get your head around it.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:needs to pull his head in a bit when he comes home?

explain :?
Was in an altercation in Tassie which earned him a club imposed week off

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Saint wagga
Club Player

dragit wrote:Getting plenty of experience into young blokes was the big positive for me

2014 games - career games

Savage - 14 - 70
Ross - 13 - 27
Billings - 16 - 16
Newnes - 22 - 47
Delaney - 22 - 48
Curren - 16 - 23
Bruce - 10 - 24
Stanley - 19 - 58
Webster - 11 - 22
Murdoch - 9 - 17
Wright - 7 - 15
Saunders - 10 - 20
Dunstan - 16 - 16
Shenton - 13 - 14
Weller - 16 - 48

Plus cameos from Minchington, Templeton & Acres

The sooner this group of players edge closer to 50-70+ games, it's no fluke that the guys we saw come on are heading into this zone of games played.

Billings is stirring excitement like when Dal first arrived… just on a different level IMO.
This! Nailed it!!

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
spert wrote:you don't need a bunch of stars to be competitive...
Yes you do, your reasoning here is absurd.

Curren, Weller, Ross, Murdoch, vs Hannebery, Jack, Parker, Kennedy

Gwilt, Simpkin, Roberton, Bruce vs Franklin, Tippett, Reid, Goodes

Trying hard isn't going to be enough against the best in the comp, get your head around it.
I agree trying hard will only get you so far, but hang on a minute...

Why not Joey, Steven, Armo and Dunstan or Joey, Steven, Armo and Hayes. Still we were poor against most of the competition but you named 4 of the Swans best mids versus 4 of our blokes who were borderline AFL selections.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Making a point Spert, uncompetitiveness is not intrinsically tied to effort.

You do need a bunch of stars to compete against a team of stars.

Hayes & Montagna in their 30's - past their best
Armitage & Steven are not elite.
Dunstan is a first year player.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Not interested in Melbourne or whatever they or any other club are doing- if you reckon Melbourne's list is better than ours in 2013 then you're kidding yourself, they are woeful, and have a defeatist attitude, and Roos had to be dragged out of retirement to coach in order to give a crap club some kind of respected figurehead.. his heart isn't in it and it shows..similar to Blight with us. You can trot out all the excuses you like in true St Kilda fashion, but there was a unacceptable lack of competitive efforts in too many games more than anything this season, and you don't need a bunch of stars to be competitive...it's a team thing that the coach is mostly responsible for, and I hope that will be addressed next season.

I never said melbournes list was better in 2013 but it was this year especially with who we could put on the park. its not a matter about what Melbourne do or dont do, its just proving it doesnt matter who coaches the side if the players arent good enough and our players, through being to old, to young or just not good enough means it matters little who coaches them. Im not trotting out the excuses, its actually you trotting out the typical saints excuse that our coach isnt up to it. And what crap about comparing Blight at the Saints and Roos at melbourne. Just another excuse by you so that you can claim its mainly the coaches fault. I still dont see how you can somehow rate SW when the insiders say he was stuffing up the club but not rate AR and there has been no bad news on him. Its all very strange but bias do that.