Pierce Signs Extension..

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Pierce Signs Extension..

stinger wrote:
dragit wrote:When you consider the change we got in the Hickey deal, I would rate that we paid around a mid second rounder for both Hickey & Longer.

If we can't accommodate the two, we have the luxury of keeping the best one and more than likely trade out the other one fro a similar or better pick than we paid.

There's still time for either to become decent forwards IMO.

we got longer....a struggling very inexprienced but still young ruckman for our compensation pick for dal santo...a champion mid......we paid a bit more than a mid second round draft pick ffs....

Such anger because you dont agree. Settle pettle. You do realise that Dal most likely wanted to leave.

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:
stinger wrote:
dragit wrote:When you consider the change we got in the Hickey deal, I would rate that we paid around a mid second rounder for both Hickey & Longer.

If we can't accommodate the two, we have the luxury of keeping the best one and more than likely trade out the other one fro a similar or better pick than we paid.

we got longer....a struggling very inexprienced but still young ruckman for our compensation pick for dal santo...a champion mid......we paid a bit more than a mid second round draft pick ffs....

Such anger because you dont agree. Settle pettle. You do realise that Dal most likely wanted to leave.
Stinger.. I bet you in 4-5 years time when we are hitting our peak as a team you won't be carrying on like a pork chop! Dal will be long retired and Longer will be 25-26 in his prime. Have some patience FFS and think of the future!

dragit
Saintsational Legend

LTN16 wrote:Stinger.. I bet you in 4-5 years time when we are hitting our peak as a team you won't be carrying on like a pork chop!
I just got off the phone to centrebet and unfortunately they won't take any bets on stinger being a pork chop in 4 or 5 years... They said he's unbackable.

He doesn't like trading or drafting, he's still reeling from the devonport trade, didn't want hall, didn't want dal, now doesn't want longer.

Stinger, regardless of which 30 year old gave us the pick, we took longer with 25, mid second round for a player taken at #8 two years earlier. This is good trading/drafting in most peoples books.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Hey Pluggs, got anything to add to your statement that you believe that Dal most likely wanted to leave? I ask, coz I got the (uninformed) impression that he didn't really want to go...?

Back on topic.

I was surprised to see just how skinny Lew is... yet he still seems to get to the front position in the ruck contests. IMHO, give him two more years in the gym... and look out.

I reckon he'll end up our number one ruckman, easily.

Holmes could well end up his partner. He's improved out of sight from that first practice match against Frangas'. Is probably our best tap ruckman... right now. Next step is to find more of the ball.

Currently his sole aim seems to be to follow the play so he can be there to contest each ruck contest. And this seems to me, to be at the expense of seeking possessions for himself.

Against Collingwood, we had a mark on the wing/half back flank, and the player was looking to kick it to the Sandy half forward line. Holmes was heading there (though not to compete in any sactual subsequent marking contest). I noticed that he ended up all alone, right in the middle of the ground, an easy zero risk 35m pass away. But Holmesy didn't even think to call for the footy...

To me, getting his hands on the footy, calling for the footy is the next step for Jason. If he can do this, I reckon he'll end up a very good AFL player.

And I reckon that Lew will be able to play forward, and that Holmesy has the potential to be able to play forward... once he learns to call for the footy, to simply chase getting some possessions for himself.

(Similarly, IMHO Spencer needs to develop an ego, believe that he is DA MAN, and demand the footy!)

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:Hey Pluggs, got anything to add to your statement that you believe that Dal most likely wanted to leave? I ask, coz I got the (uninformed) impression that he didn't really want to go...?

Back on topic.

I was surprised to see just how skinny Lew is... yet he still seems to get to the front position in the ruck contests. IMHO, give him two more years in the gym... and look out.

I reckon he'll end up our number one ruckman, easily.

Holmes could well end up his partner. He's improved out of sight from that first practice match against Frangas'. Is probably our best tap ruckman... right now. Next step is to find more of the ball.

Currently his sole aim seems to be to follow the play so he can be there to contest each ruck contest. And this seems to me, to be at the expense of seeking possessions for himself.

Against Collingwood, we had a mark on the wing/half back flank, and the player was looking to kick it to the Sandy half forward line. Holmes was heading there (though not to compete in any sactual subsequent marking contest). I noticed that he ended up all alone, right in the middle of the ground, an easy zero risk 35m pass away. But Holmesy didn't even think to call for the footy...

To me, getting his hands on the footy, calling for the footy is the next step for Jason. If he can do this, I reckon he'll end up a very good AFL player.

And I reckon that Lew will be able to play forward, and that Holmesy has the potential to be able to play forward... once he learns to call for the footy, to simply chase getting some possessions for himself.

(Similarly, IMHO Spencer needs to develop an ego, believe that he is DA MAN, and demand the footy!)

Nothing to add.

Johnny Favier
Club Player

stinger wrote:

We also gained valuable salary cap space though - not to be underestimated.

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

Johnny Favier wrote:
stinger wrote:

We also gained valuable salary cap space though - not to be underestimated.
I'm glad stinger isn't our list manager. Has zero knowledge about football..

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

LTN16 wrote:I'm glad stinger isn't our list manager. Has zero knowledge about football.
I'm also glad that Sting isn't our list manager.

Not so sure re the zero knowledge of footy bit. I'd say Sting shouldn't be our list manager coz his loyalty to the heroes of our club would interfere with him making some hard decisions when they are needed. Hey, I'd be pretty bad at that too, but Sting would be hopeless. :lol:

So how's that for irony... when push comes to shove, despite a 'carefully cultivated' on-line persona, deep down, Sting really is a softie. :D

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
FQF
SS Life Member

If Holmes is widely considered to be our best tap ruckman but useless at the moment around the ground, and Longer is an okay tap ruckman but also useless around the ground - why isn't Holmes ahead of Longer in the pecking order?

mordiboyz
Club Player

Most ruckmen don't start having an effect until they are 25+, completely different to the development of a mid fielder. Thats why we got "so much" for the McEvoy trade because recruiters know how long it takes to develop good ruckmen.

We haven't had a quality young ruckman since Spida. I dread that day when he injured his collarbone.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:If Holmes is widely considered to be our best tap ruckman but useless at the moment around the ground, and Longer is an okay tap ruckman but also useless around the ground - why isn't Holmes ahead of Longer in the pecking order?

because he's a rookie and he is 1 year into his first season of playing football. Not many could go from not even seeing footy to a senior place in the top level of the sport.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
FQF wrote:If Holmes is widely considered to be our best tap ruckman but useless at the moment around the ground, and Longer is an okay tap ruckman but also useless around the ground - why isn't Holmes ahead of Longer in the pecking order?

because he's a rookie and he is 1 year into his first season of playing football. Not many could go from not even seeing footy to a senior place in the top level of the sport.

That doesnt answer his question though.

bigballs
Club Player

I wonder what the reasoning is for only extending Pierce's contract until the end of 2015. Surely they could have given the kid a lot more of an extension to his contact than that if they really rate him as a future St Kilda ruckman/forward.

I don't know, maybe they prefer to wait and see how much he improves next year before deciding whether or not he's worth keeping beyond 2015 or maybe they think Holmesy will overtake him in the pecking order, so they're throwing up a challenge to him to prove that he's worthy of a further extension......guess we'll just have to wait and see!!

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Now don't go saying that too fast and loud

Posting 20 years of holey crap!