Caleb Daniel

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

dirtydog24
Club Player

Re: Caleb Daniel

OK...just don't say you weren't warned when he isn't picked on November 26.

saint6709
Club Player

dirtydog24 wrote:OK...just don't say you weren't warned when he isn't picked on November 26.
You seem pretty strong on this - any reason?

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
AdelaideSainter wrote:
Saint wagga wrote:Adelaide Sainter, any inside info on the young mans character/aptitude. I think of late the Club has looked to a "no dickheads" recruiting policy (Yes Jimmy Webster - lets hope your indescretion was a one off wrong place at the wrong time thing!)
Not sure, haven't met the lad, but always comes across well in interviews etc.

Gotchy say he is a great kid and I trast Brad.
Is that trash or trust.

Is being a great kid going to get him drafted.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

The problem with Daniel isn't attitude, it's altitude.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
AdelaideSainter wrote:
Saint wagga wrote:Adelaide Sainter, any inside info on the young mans character/aptitude. I think of late the Club has looked to a "no dickheads" recruiting policy (Yes Jimmy Webster - lets hope your indescretion was a one off wrong place at the wrong time thing!)
Not sure, haven't met the lad, but always comes across well in interviews etc.

Gotchy say he is a great kid and I trast Brad.
Is that trash or trust.

Is being a great kid going to get him drafted.

It isnt. Maybe read the previous post to see why I said that.

dirtydog24
Club Player

saint6709 wrote:
dirtydog24 wrote:OK...just don't say you weren't warned when he isn't picked on November 26.
This is why....

https://www.draftguru.com.au/search/heights-to-169

As talented as he is, he is just to small in an era when the average midfielder height is 20cm taller.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Not sure if I would prefer a 188cm serviceable midfielder, or say a 168cm gun midfielder. Reminds me of a team I played in many years ago who were middle rung, then next season they went out and recruited talls at the expense of a few smalls and ended up getting beaten on a regular basis mainly thanks to quality small mids from opposition teams. We should go for class and quality as we are short on that big-time.

SideshowMilne
Club Player

dirtydog24 wrote:
saint6709 wrote:
This is why....

https://www.draftguru.com.au/search/heights-to-169

As talented as he is, he is just to small in an era when the average midfielder height is 20cm taller.
"Just because there is nobody else his size in the AFL at the moment, it doesn't mean there can't be one. It's just that nobody has ever been as good as Caleb Daniel before"

gringo
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:Not sure if I would prefer a 188cm serviceable midfielder, or say a 168cm gun midfielder. Reminds me of a team I played in many years ago who were middle rung, then next season they went out and recruited talls at the expense of a few smalls and ended up getting beaten on a regular basis mainly thanks to quality small mids from opposition teams. We should go for class and quality as we are short on that big-time.

To me recruiters get swayed by fashion. I remember Koutifedes made everyone rush out and recruit tall athletes. It was a fail and the fashion changed. Josh Kennedy and Fyfe have got everyone thinking that 2 good players mean every oversized mid is going to equal them. Lewis Taylor has shown you can play high level football as a short arse. I could see him being played like Milney but with more on ball ability.

AdelaideSainter
Club Player

Caleb was less influential in South’s 3 goal defeat yesterday to the Port Power reserves in the Prelim. 4 kicks, 16 HBs, 3 tackles, 3 clearances. Didn't trouble the scorers. Like too many of his teammates though, didn’t get great value from his touches and appeared a little fumbly. Given that South were up against a team featuring 18 AFL listed players, the pressure and tempo of the game was far greater than the previous two finals.

So next week will see a Norwood v Port Power Reserves GF. As an avid SANFL supporter, it’s rather sad that the a professional AFL reserves team will feature in the league’s biggest day, especially those &*(^%. Anyway, I’ll get off my hobby horse..

Norwood have been a recruiters favourite in recent years.

FQF
SS Life Member

AdelaideSainter wrote:Caleb was less influential in South’s 3 goal defeat yesterday to the Port Power reserves in the Prelim. 4 kicks, 16 HBs, 3 tackles, 3 clearances. Didn't trouble the scorers. Like too many of his teammates though, didn’t get great value from his touches and appeared a little fumbly. Given that South were up against a team featuring 18 AFL listed players, the pressure and tempo of the game was far greater than the previous two finals.

So next week will see a Norwood v Port Power Reserves GF. As an avid SANFL supporter, it’s rather sad that the a professional AFL reserves team will feature in the league’s biggest day, especially those &*(^%. Anyway, I’ll get off my hobby horse..

Hi AdelaideSainter - thanks for your great info on Caleb. Seeing as you have probably seen him more than any of the rest of us, what do you think of his draft chances? And if drafted, how successful do you reckon he'll be?

damienc
Club Player

AdelaideSainter wrote:Caleb was less influential in South’s 3 goal defeat yesterday to the Port Power reserves in the Prelim. 4 kicks, 16 HBs, 3 tackles, 3 clearances. Didn't trouble the scorers. Like too many of his teammates though, didn’t get great value from his touches and appeared a little fumbly. Given that South were up against a team featuring 18 AFL listed players, the pressure and tempo of the game was far greater than the previous two finals.

Those stats are pretty good for a bloke who, as you say, had an off day.

Munga
Saintsational Legend

I still love the way he plays. Draws all the heat to him then lays it off.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
SinCitySainter
Club Player

stinger wrote:
gringo wrote:. The Hawks jumped on garlett last year despite some misgivings about his attitude. Sometimes obstacles are overlooked when talent is displayed.

but that was a huge mistake...the hawks got their fingers burnt...not a good example mate
The other thing to consider is the issue with Garlett was attitude the Hawks would have backed themselves in to resolve those issues.

Having Ducks disease is a whole different issue and one that you can't really solve through mentoring and therapy sessions (unless the therapy is being run by Steven Dank).

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Pelchan specifically asked about a 167cm player and if they were too short on SEN this morning.

He replied that current mood was swinging away from athletes to football players and height was not as crucial as in the past.

Said 167cm player would not be precluded from the process on height alone, a mixture of heights and talents was good, but a list wouldn't want to be too small.

So in essence not ruling out a player the size of Daniel. Still may not happen but at least it was not a definite no.

You are garbage - Enough said
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:Pelchan specifically asked about a 167cm player and if they were too short on SEN this morning.

He replied that current mood was swinging away from athletes to football players and height was not as crucial as in the past.

Said 167cm player would not be precluded from the process on height alone, a mixture of heights and talents was good, but a list wouldn't want to be too small.

So in essence not ruling out a player the size of Daniel. Still may not happen but at least it was not a definite no.

Amen brother!
The obsession by recruiters with 'athletes' over footy players has been like the siren call in Homer's Odyssey. Many are seduced - but most end up shipwrecked on the rocks :D

(p.s This analogy also applies to strippers :D)
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Wed 24 Sep 2014 1:00pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote: The obsession with 'athletes' for recruiters has been like the siren call in Homer's Odyssey. Many are seduced - but most end up shipwrecked on the rocks :D

(p.s This analogy also applies to strippers :D)

Disagree.

A tall athletic stripper has far greater potential to provide an instant impact than does a midget one 8-)

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

I didn't bother looking at the video coz of Caleb's height. But eventually I did look anyway.

Gotta' say, Caleb's highlights package is as good as any I've seen... bar none!

As people have pointed out, if taller, he'd be rated in the draft's top few.

I now reckon he could make an impact. I'd like to see him up against adult bodies to be sure, but gee, he looks good! Not sure he'll make it through to the rookie draft (I'd grab him for sure there), but I'd be very happy if we used a pick from mid-30's upwards on him.

Lookin' at our list's options for mid-field size/muscle we'd have...
Petracca (I bloody well hope so anyway),
Armo' (I'd want some club to pay significant overs for us to give him up, very underrated IMHO),
Dunstan,
Acres,
Weller,
Curren,
Minch,
Geary,
+ ?,
so I'm not worried that we'll get pushed around.

I hope we can get Caleb.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:I didn't bother looking at the video coz of Caleb's height. But eventually I did look anyway.

I now reckon he could make an impact. I'd like to see him up against adult bodies to be sure, but gee, he looks good! Not sure he'll make it through to the rookie draft (I'd grab him for sure there), but I'd be very happy if we used a pick from mid-30's upwards on him.

Armo' (I'd want some club to pay significant overs for us to give him up, very underrated IMHO),
Dunstan,
Acres,
Weller,
Curren,
Minch,
Geary,
+ ?,

I hope we can get Caleb.

What that list shows us is we have no outside runners or pace. Petracca better provide that or he isn't the one we want. We are far to inside and slow and nothing is going to fix that in the short term.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Much like Con pointed out in another thread with Gray slipping to draft pick 55 due to his perceived lack of athletic attributes, recruiters have to get the kpi's and spreadsheets out of their eye line and just watch the kid dominate at playing football. Supposed experts more focussed on 20m sprints and vertical standing jump stats instead of possessions and footy smarts..

Sobraz
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
Dave McNamara wrote:I didn't bother looking at the video coz of Caleb's height. But eventually I did look anyway.

Dunstan,
Acres,
Weller,
Curren,
Minch,
Geary,
+ ?,

I hope we can get Caleb.

What that list shows us is we have no outside runners or pace. Petracca better provide that or he isn't the one we want. We are far to inside and slow and nothing is going to fix that in the short term.
That list was supposed to show our inside/grunt players.

For that reason it doesn't include Steven, Eli, Billings.. Agreed it needs to be added to, but there is some there...

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Dunstan,
Acres,
Weller,
Curren,
Minch,
Geary,
+ ?,

I hope we can get Caleb.

For that reason it doesn't include Steven, Eli, Billings.. Agreed it needs to be added to, but there is some there...

Yes I got that but the problem is it is about 7 inside to 3 outside and 2 of them haven't really played on the ball yet. I heard Pelchen today on SEN and I doubt we would go after Daniel. In isolation he said a player of that height is fine but we have many near that height like Steven, Templeton, Minch, TC, Geary. Acres is our only potential tallish mid.

damienc
Club Player

Sobraz wrote:Much like Con pointed out in another thread with Gray slipping to draft pick 55 due to his perceived lack of athletic attributes, recruiters have to get the kpi's and spreadsheets out of their eye line and just watch the kid dominate at playing football. Supposed experts more focussed on 20m sprints and vertical standing jump stats instead of possessions and footy smarts..
Excellent point that you make.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:Much like Con pointed out in another thread with Gray slipping to draft pick 55 due to his perceived lack of athletic attributes, recruiters have to get the kpi's and spreadsheets out of their eye line and just watch the kid dominate at playing football. Supposed experts more focussed on 20m sprints and vertical standing jump stats instead of possessions and footy smarts..

Yes that's true because you now know he has made it but what about the other 500 players that clubs rejected for the same reason who people don't even know the name of now. You have to go with percentages and you will stuff up occasionally with that but on the whole its the right way to think.

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:

For that reason it doesn't include Steven, Eli, Billings.. Agreed it needs to be added to, but there is some there...[/quote]

Yes I got that but the problem is it is about 7 inside to 3 outside and 2 of them haven't really played on the ball yet. I heard Pelchen today on SEN and I doubt we would go after Daniel. In isolation he said a player of that height is fine but we have many near that height like Steven, Templeton, Minch, TC, Geary. Acres is our only potential tallish mid.[/quote]

Of our potential midfielders we have:
Ross: 187cm
Webster: 188cm
Acres: 190cm
Markworth: 189cm
Murdoch: 187
to put that in perspective they're all about the same height as Josh Kennedy from the Swans.

Height isn't a problem we need outside run, of all the mids we have only really Steven, Webster, Eli, Markworth and Saunders provide that so if Caleb brings some run and carrythen he would be an asset.