Poll - McCartin, Petracca or..

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

What should we do with the number 1 draft pick?

McCartin
4%
Petracca
84%
Someone else
4%
Trade it
8%

Total votes: 122

matrix
Saintsational Legend

Re: Poll - McCartin, Petracca or..

Great work re the polls.

Always a bit of fun.

Voted for the Pet man.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Petraccaaaaaaa!!!!!

Then next best available, hopefully a tall as by taking Petracca out a few may slide by teams looking to bolster their midfield.

Capiron with our round 3 pick...cannot have too much class running out of the back half.

citywest

Trade pick 1 to GWS for pick 4 and pick 18.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:Trade pick 1 to GWS for pick 4 and pick 18.
That's not enough to give up for the rights to the best kid in the country (Petracca). I would want their pick 22 or Jono O'Rourke thrown in as well.

citywest

How often does the number 1 pick turn out to be the best kid in the country for that particular year? Answer - 2 in every 10 at best. That is why I would jump at pick 4 and 18. Odds are that both players picked would end up being better than Petracca. Go back to the previous 10 drafts and have a look. Remember last year we got Billings (3) and Dunstan (18)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:How often does the number 1 pick turn out to be the best kid in the country for that particular year? Answer - 2 in every 10 at best. That is why I would jump at pick 4 and 18. Odds are that both players picked would end up being better than Petracca. Go back to the previous 10 drafts and have a look. Remember last year we got Billings (3) and Dunstan (18)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Have a look at the players we have selected with pick 1 and then compare to others in their draft.

FQF
SS Life Member

I'm hoping that in 4 years time we can have at least 5 elite midfielders. Billings, Acres, Dunstan, Steven, Petracca. If we nab a couple more, and some of our other young mids turn into solid B graders then we will have the foundation for our premiership team.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
citywest wrote:How often does the number 1 pick turn out to be the best kid in the country for that particular year? Answer - 2 in every 10 at best. That is why I would jump at pick 4 and 18.
Have a look at the players we have selected with pick 1 and then compare to others in their draft.
Comparing pick 1, 4 and 18:

https://www.draftguru.com.au/search/picks/1+4+18

Not many years where 4 or 18 end up clearly better than 1. 1999 and 2008 the obvious ones. 2007 maybe Rance is ahead of Kreuzer, 1994 Scott Lucas and Jeff White roughly level.

Pretty obvious at a glance at that list that pick 1 is worth hanging on to - at least if that's the only deal on the table.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Cheers Berg. In the main I was referring to our clubs success picking Roo and BJ at pick 1 but looking over all pick 1's my point remains. You don't see pick 1 traded often, if at all, and the data proves just why.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I'm happy to take the Pet.
Let some others take the risk on two metre Peter.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Wouldn't have a clue. But figure we'd better use this poll thingy now we have it. Voted for the underdog - whoever that may be?

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

That poll function is great!
We should use it more often.
I love a good vote.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

How interesting is this poll.... Everyone is on the petracca train now including myself.... Mine is from total 3rd party information!

But it seems certain the industry is pointing to him and gave jumped off McCartin.

FQF
SS Life Member

Spinner wrote:How interesting is this poll.... Everyone is on the petracca train now including myself.... Mine is from total 3rd party information!

But it seems certain the industry is pointing to him and gave jumped off McCartin.
I don't even think McCartin is certain to go at 2. Many believe that Wright and Brayshaw are ahead.

Middo
Club Player

I think Spencer White making his debut may have impacted which way we go now , think Petracca is an easy pick now.

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:How interesting is this poll.... Everyone is on the petracca train now including myself.... Mine is from total 3rd party information!
It's really impossible to know as a layman, isn't it?

My vote was simply because I think we'll never go too far wrong taking mids. Worse comes to worst we'll end up with too many and then have to trade them.

Similar to where Sydney is right now. They've got a very high-quality midfield - Kennedy, Jack, McVeigh, Bird, Jetta - with great kids coming through - Hannebery, Parker, Rampe, Cunningham, B Jack, Lloyd, maybe Rohan - and more great kids who can't get games - Mitchell, Perris, Jones. And on top of that they've got high-quality kids coming to them in the next two drafts: Heeney, Dunkley, Mills. So they can afford to trade Mitchell and they'll probably end up with another first-round pick because of it. A lot of their talls, on the other hand, didn't need to be drafted: Franklin, Tippett, Pyke, Richards.

Sounds like a solid strategy to me.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
It's really impossible to know as a layman, isn't it?

My vote was simply because I think we'll never go too far wrong taking mids. Worse comes to worst we'll end up with too many and then have to trade them.

Similar to where Sydney is right now. They've got a very high-quality midfield - Kennedy, Jack, McVeigh, Bird, Jetta - with great kids coming through - Hannebery, Parker, Rampe, Cunningham, B Jack, Lloyd, maybe Rohan - and more great kids who can't get games - Mitchell, Perris, Jones. And on top of that they've got high-quality kids coming to them in the next two drafts: Heeney, Dunkley, Mills. So they can afford to trade Mitchell and they'll probably end up with another first-round pick because of it. A lot of their talls, on the other hand, didn't need to be drafted: Franklin, Tippett, Pyke, Richards.

Sounds like a solid strategy to me.
Good points Bergs. Also Clarksons brilliant forward/midfield rotation system could revolutionise what you want from a forward. The backs don't know what is happening or even who they are meant to be on. Petracca fits in beautifully with that system. Versatility seems to be becoming the new buzz word with rotations capped and maybe going down to be able to keep changing up how your team looks from minute to minute. Maybe versatility is what we are drafting for now - Billings can play fwd/mid - Acres could play mid, back or forward - Eli could be fwd, mid or wing, even Dunstan could play fwd I reckon hes got a good sniff for goal and not a bad mark.

Fidelis
Club Player

Speaking with ex Saints player well connected in Geelong who is very bullish about McCartin. Thinks he's an extremely good prospect.

Faithful Even Unto Death
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Fidelis wrote:Speaking with ex Saints player well connected in Geelong who is very bullish about McCartin. Thinks he's an extremely good prospect.
Same was said about Luke Ball

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Fidelis wrote:Speaking with ex Saints player well connected in Geelong who is very bullish about McCartin. Thinks he's an extremely good prospect.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
falka
Club Player

You would hope any of top 30 picks are good prospects.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:
Too old.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Just get the good one.