Stanley to Port?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Re: Stanley to Port?

plugger66 wrote:I think we would swap him in a heartbeat for pick 15 and IMO we should...
Currently their FRP is 16 and it'll most likely end up as 17 or even 18.

https://www.draftguru.com.au/search/picks/15+16+17+18

Not an enormous amount of stars taken in those picks: G-Train, Camporeale, Yze, Maxy, Brady Rawlings, Scott Thompson, Kerr, James Kelly, Harry Taylor, Rance, Brandon Ellis. Some good/very good players but that's about it. Plenty of picks that didn't work out.

That said, you've got to pick your players from somewhere and you'd rather do it sub-20 than later. I reckon that's probably about fair value for Rhys. Yes, his skill set is hard to find. But conversely he's been very inconsistent and there's still a reasonable chance he makes nothing of his career. He could be the next Stefan Martin or he could be the next Jason Laycock or Chris Bryan.

I'd probably take 16 but it's line-ball. Would need some added value to make it a no-brainer.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

kozi

what is the future for the saints up forward?
what have they been telling us for two years?

look at the work we have put in to him

so now we are going to trade him off for a pick and leave ourselves with spencer, lee and sippa???

cant see it happening

BUT
you asking the question did get me thinking
they reckon we will have some serous coin in the kitty next year for a possible free agent or two
might be looking at grabbing a forward?
who is out of contract and a FA at the end of next year???

still reckon he is staying the club hjas told us they have invested a lot into rhys, beleive he will be part of us going forward and when he signed last time signed for a good few years
they rate him big time as our roo replacement
and i for one agree with them

but hey
everyone can be traded if the price is right

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

2015 free agents:

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/l ... s.1043079/

That's probably not up to date but names on that list which fit your bill are: Tex Walker, Hawkins, Petrie, Robbie Tarrant, Jarrad Grant. All seem unlikely for various reasons except maybe Grant, but surely he's not good enough?

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

bergholt wrote:2015 free agents:

That's probably not up to date but names on that list which fit your bill are: Tex Walker, Hawkins, Petrie, Robbie Tarrant, Jarrad Grant. All seem unlikely for various reasons except maybe Grant, but surely he's not good enough?
Thanks yet again for a great little link Bergs. :D

Jack Steven's name must not be allowed to remain on that list. :shock:

A player of his abilities/age demographic must not be allowed to appear on the FA list. We need to extend Jack's contract or put him up for trade this (2014) trade/drafting period... a la the Crones and Dangerfield.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
spert
Saintsational Legend

How does Stanley compare to other 200cm athletic forward/ ruck players in the comp at his age and with the amount of senior games played? Are there better players in a similar package, or is Stanley ahead of the competition. I personally think he is a GOP who can take a good mark and is a nice kick, but his work-rate over four quarters is his big problem, and gets knocked off the contest way too easy, and as a result barely influences games as we think a big athletic guy with those skills should.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:
bergholt wrote:2015 free agents:

Thanks yet again for a great little link Bergs. :D

Jack Steven's name must not be allowed to remain on that list. :shock:

A player of his abilities/age demographic must not be allowed to appear on the FA list. We need to extend Jack's contract or put him up for trade this (2014) trade/drafting period... a la the Crones and Dangerfield.

I love Jack but if was offered a huge contract it maybe in our interest to lose him. I doubt he would get pick 2 if traded but if we finish bottom and he gets an offer of a big contract then we would get pick 2 if we finished last which looks odds on. I probably wouldn't do it but if it was great trade year you should never say never.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Agree wholeheartedly Spert honestly think we are overrating Rhys given we are still talking about his 'potential'

First rounder and he will be traded make no mistake about it! And we should look at it as a good bit of business...he was what pick 55? 5 years later with a smattering of good performances mixed with a great majority of 'mixed' to 'nothing' performances...a trade for a pick in the teens sounds bloody marvellous to me!'

#1 Ryder fan
falka
Club Player

spert wrote:How does Stanley compare to other 200cm athletic forward/ ruck players in the comp at his age and with the amount of senior games played? Are there better players in a similar package, or is Stanley ahead of the competition. I personally think he is a GOP who can take a good mark and is a nice kick, but his work-rate over four quarters is his big problem, and gets knocked off the contest way too easy, and as a result barely influences games as we think a big athletic guy with those skills should.
It is an interesting question.
So in the 2 -5 games he played well in this year, was that due to luck , work rate, team around him??

If it is the latter 2, we have to keep him, as this can be developed. I reckon he showed some improvement in his mongrel (admitedaly it was from 0-2 / 10) but he is improving, even if it is slower and not to the level we would all hope.

As a 2nd ruck who can play forward, I think he is a good player. As someone pointed out statistically he is similar to David Hale (but in a much worse side)
SO, if we want the ideal 2nd ruck who can be a player up forward, we must keep him.
If that type of player isn't in our plans, trade him.

howlinwolf
Club Player

[/quote]
I love Jack but if was offered a huge contract it maybe in our interest to lose him. I doubt he would get pick 2 if traded but if we finish bottom and he gets an offer of a big contract then we would get pick 2 if we finished last which looks odds on. I probably wouldn't do it but if it was great trade year you should never say never.[/quote]

I don't think we should let Jack go at all if we have a say in it. He's really given us spark and where we deseperately need it. We don't have a player with similar skills and are crying out for that.He is a joy to watch taking on the opposition.
Even pick 2 could be a fizzer and back to the drawing board we go. Let's just continue building,brick by brick.
Lock him in I say.

Robert Harvey's last home game. 24 Aug 2008
StKilda 13.17 def Adelaide 6.11
andrewg
Club Player

Rhys is a required player. He will be great for our club not on the table IMO

citywest

Con Gorozidis wrote:
citywest wrote:The thing about big blokes is they are all slow developers and they don't hit their peak until their late 20's. Exactly the right time for us. I know the club said 2018 but that is just spin. 2020 will be when we are cheery ripe and so will Rhys.
Give me one example. Just one in VFL/AFL history so I can at least get an idea of what kind of transformation you envisage happening.

And I'm not trying to be a smart alec. I'm just trying to get where you are coming from.
I can't give you a specific example Con. It is just my opinion. He is coming from a very low base in the belief status. We know that he has all the tools. Magnificent athlete, extremely mobile/agile for someone over 200 cms, towering mark and a magnificent long kick. Where he is lacking is football smarts and mongrel. Over the last 5 years we have seen very gradual improvement in these 2 categories, I'll be the first to admit that. But, there will come a day when the penny will drop and he will become that super star that we all thought he would be. Time is on his and St Kilda's side. We actually don't need him to be a super star yet. We want him to be a super star in 4 or 5 years time.

If we do trade him we may live to regret it.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Looks like Stanley should peak when he is around 33yo

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Has gone from promising, to disappointing (Watters years), to a solid year (this year)...needs to be reliable in 2015, and develop into a player like The Hoff by 2016

Nee!
matrix
Saintsational Legend

well with all the Cameron rumors doing the rounds is it now possible we would put rhys on the trade table??
obviously for a first rounder i think it would be entirely possible
still dont think it will happen
i have the opinion that we have put a lot into rhys and that the club sees him as a roo replacement type player going forward
id like to keep him and see him take the chf spot when roo has retired..........and we have cameron sitting in the square 8-)

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

suss
Club Player

"Essendon has said it wants Port's young gun Chad Wingard in return for Ryder."

Sure, maybe they'll throw in Wines while they're at it ...

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

:?

So why does Paddy actually 'want out' again...?

- If it was to be closer to his wife's family in Brissy, why would he be looking at Adelaide???

- If it is because he's (and he bloody well should be, unless he's dumber than Spiked) pissed-off with Effndope for showing zero regard for the potential future health of himself and his kids... :evil:
why would he want those bastards to get anything in return for him?
why wouldn't he just invoke 'that clause' that the AFL Players' Assoc' specifically had inserted into its last agreement with AFL... and just walk for nuthin'???

Paddy, what are we missing, coz things aren't adding up...?

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
dragit
Saintsational Legend

suss wrote:

This is why these pack of lying filthy cheats never get a trade done.
I hope they get a turd in the mail in return for Ryder, they deserve less than that.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote::?

So why does Paddy actually 'want out' again...?

- If it was to be closer to his wife's family in Brissy, why would he be looking at Adelaide???

- If it is because he's (and he bloody well should be, unless he's dumber than Spiked) pissed-off with Effndope for showing zero regard for the potential future health of himself and his kids... :evil:
why would he want those bastards to get anything in return for him?
why wouldn't he just invoke 'that clause' that the AFL Players' Assoc' specifically had inserted into its last agreement with AFL... and just walk for nuthin'???

Paddy, what are we missing, coz things aren't adding up...?
the annual- player UTURN-
Clarke got waylaid on the way to Perth
Tippett got waylaid on the way to Qld
Buddy got Waylaid on the way the the showgrounds.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

dragit wrote:
suss wrote:

This is why these pack of lying filthy cheats never get a trade done.
I hope they get a turd in the mail in return for Ryder, they deserve less than that.
Well they have a turd for a coach

You are garbage - Enough said
andrewg
Club Player

The similarities between Westhoff and Stanley are uncanny.
I remember shaking my head at a 23 year old Westoff saying how useless he was but now at 27 he is in the best 5-6 forwards in the league.

For me Rhys is a required player, he will come good just like Westhoff has.

stkfc1
Club Player

The other thing to remember is that Rhys has been playing in the shadow of one of the greatest CHF of all time! It's no coincidence the games the Rhys played well are the ones where Roo wasn't the main focal point. We might not see the best of Rhys until he's THE man. I got a sneaking suspicion that we might see a different forward structure next year of White, Rhys and Bruce ( I like Bruce forward, gives us some grunt), with Roo given license to roam ala Goodes. Lee and Sippos are behind the 8 ball but they also might come into calculations depending on White's progress.

LondonSaint
Club Player

Stanley is a useful player, but is not
a natural forward and doesn't look like
he will ever be one. A 19 year old Spencer
White playing his first game looks a better
forward than Stanley who has been in the
system for 4-5 years. People will say he can
also ruck, but his ruck work is not really better
than a regular tall forward can offer.

Comparing him to Westoff is unfair. Westoff is a
natural forward who happens to be tall. A great contested
ruck and good with the ball on the deck. Westoff
also kicked 34 goals in his first season, as a 19 year old.

Having said that, Stanley can be useful. But if Port
is going to pay overs for him (1st round pick) then why not trade him
and get a true forward who has the potential to kick 40-50 goals a season.

stkfc1
Club Player

The other thing to remember is that Rhys has been playing in the shadow of one of the greatest CHF of all time! It's no coincidence the games the Rhys played well are the ones where Roo wasn't the main focal point. We might not see the best of Rhys until he's THE man. I got a sneaking suspicion that we might see a different forward structure next year of White, Rhys and Bruce ( I like Bruce forward, gives us some grunt), with Roo given license to roam ala Goodes. Lee and Sippos are behind the 8 ball but they also might come into calculations depending on White's progress.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

stkfc1 wrote:The other thing to remember is that Rhys has been playing in the shadow of one of the greatest CHF of all time! It's no coincidence the games the Rhys played well are the ones where Roo wasn't the main focal point. We might not see the best of Rhys until he's THE man. I got a sneaking suspicion that we might see a different forward structure next year of White, Rhys and Bruce ( I like Bruce forward, gives us some grunt), with Roo given license to roam ala Goodes. Lee and Sippos are behind the 8 ball but they also might come into calculations depending on White's progress.
Lee and Sipposs will never make it IMO.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.