And it was just 4 years ago...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

And it was just 4 years ago...

Last Sunday, at the March for Climate Change Action, I met up with a friend I had not seen for almost ten years. He is a dyed-in-the-wool Collingwood supporter, but we always got on anyway. He said we should have won in 2010. Maybe. Count the bounces today - those that go to the advantage and those that don't - and see who wins.

One year earlier, my worst fear was that the day would have showers. Our singular advantage over Geelong was our marking ability overhead on the forward line. Just nine marks between Nick and Kosi (compare with Round 14 under the roof when it was 11 each). The weather diminished that - oh for a day like today in 2009. But we still had plenty of chances - we blew them. And that's been the secret to many GFs in the last decade. Whoever takes their chances today will raise the cup.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Re: And it was just 4 years ago...

We should have won in 09 and lost in 10

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

Too painful.

kind of "grew up" watching that list start in 2003 to make a grand final in 2009

the 2004 list was better, but the 09 list was a better team..more disciplined.
Tragic we were never able to win a flag with so many deserving players.

What is dead may never die, but rises again harder and stronger.
Selhurst Saint
Club Player

Grand Final day makes me feel sick in the guts.

"...If there has been one recurring theme through this whole shocking mess, it has been the misguided, inflated egos and their ill-judged determination to cling to long-standing old boy friendships. The bad advice that has guided the selfish and culpable James Hird has not only punctuated this saga but symbolised it..."
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Selhurst Saint wrote:Grand Final day makes me feel sick in the guts.

I can't watch- I always feel sad for the players who worked so hard for simple things to defeat them

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Lenny on Grandfinals

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/lenny- ... 7072293111

ST KILDA’S Lenny Hayes retired this year as a champion of the AFL.

But he never tasted the ultimate success.

In this book extract, the 297-game midfielder describes the heartache he felt after losing the 2009 Grand Final to Geelong by 12 points.

He openly admits crying in the changerooms after the game.

Perhaps his biggest reveal, though, is that he didn’t speak to his future wife Tara for two weeks as he dealt with his grief.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
ctqs
Club Player

I've only ever cried in public three times as an adult and two of them were after grand final losses - 1997 and 2009. The 97 loss is still the single most disappointing thing I've ever experienced. Not the saddest (by any stretch) but the most disappointing.
Wounds heal but scars remain, whether they're physical or emotional. Sometimes thing happen to rake over those scars, and we flinch because they're still tender.
Grand Final day rakes over the scars of the missed opportunities in 97, 09, and 10 for me because we know the feeling all too well. And when young Langford's kick took a fortunate bounce and went through for a goal, I couldn't help but wonder why Lenny's kick out in front of Milney couldn't have taken a more fortunate bounce for us.

Still waiting for closure ... if you get my drift.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

ctqs wrote:I've only ever cried in public three times as an adult and two of them were after grand final losses - 1997 and 2009. The 97 loss is still the single most disappointing thing I've ever experienced. Not the saddest (by any stretch) but the most disappointing.

I didn't cry but I threw a na na.

In 97, I tipped the portable television out the window of the shared house I was living in.

My house mates asked me to leave.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

That is hilarious pav.

loris
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
ctqs wrote:I've only ever cried in public three times as an adult and two of them were after grand final losses - 1997 and 2009. The 97 loss is still the single most disappointing thing I've ever experienced. Not the saddest (by any stretch) but the most disappointing.

In 97, I tipped the portable television out the window of the shared house I was living in.

You poor, poor darling SaintPav...................... they obviously weren't Saint supporters and couldn't empathise with you. Bet they were Carlton, Essendon and Collingwood supporters who had premiership history coming out of their ears, and really couldn't experience the pain of a Sainter!!!

As you left the shared house.......... I hope you were singing " Walk a mile in my shoes, before you criticise and abuse"

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Should've thrown it at them, Pav.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

It's only a bloody game for goodness sake!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
ctqs
Club Player

Yeah, it's only a game and winning a flag wouldn't change the world but I reckon it would change ours, because it'd be the achievement of something all of us have wanted see and invested so much in for such a long time.

CeilidhSaint
Club Player

I was standing with Lenny's mum after that game in the change rooms.
He came over to her, started crying, gave her a hug and said to her "It's just not fair, mum".
I then started crying.

TB 1 - The Brightest Light on the Darkest Night - we miss you.
Think Globally, Act Sainterly
I have Phil Narkle's helmet
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Amazing isn't it, Hawthorn have won 10 additional flags since they beat us in 1971 and all we have won is umpteen wooden spoons.

Talk about a fork in the road....

To think they nearly merged with a club that is a modern day basket case

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
ctqs
Club Player

And in that 1971 GF, we'd won as many flags as they had at that stage and were leading at 3/4 time.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: My house mates asked me to leave.
Bloody Adelaide supporters

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:
SaintPav wrote:

You poor, poor darling SaintPav...................... they obviously weren't Saint supporters and couldn't empathise with you. Bet they were Carlton, Essendon and Collingwood supporters who had premiership history coming out of their ears, and really couldn't experience the pain of a Sainter!!!

As you left the shared house.......... I hope you were singing " Walk a mile in my shoes, before you criticise and abuse"
Thanks Loris. That is very kind.

The two ladies were not footy supporters so they did not understand.

I was very contrite and did the house work for a week or two. They did forgive me, eventually.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Newman
Club Player

Makes me feel a bit better to know others share my pain as a Saint Supporter. I turned off game today in 2nd q. Couldn't stand to watch the Hawks walk around parading another cup. Also Grand Finals now bring back those sad recollections of 4 years ago .... and 5 years ago. Ah to taste that premiership feeling once. And as I said to my son tonight - there's McEvoy ... who played a handful of games in 2014 - first year with Hawks and he has a medallion. How deserving were Hayes, Reiwoldt, Burke, Harvey ... and they have not one to show.

Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

I cried in 1965 after listening to the game on the radio. I was 9 at the time! All our losses since I've been in a kind of grieving shock. I flew down in 09 from the UK, arrived morning of the game, and went to the game jet-lagged. Felt terrible after the game with a combination of things.

I must admit it took quite some time to get over those 09/10 losses. We were never favourites in either year though. Neither Premiership was a given, but we should have nailed that 09 flag. Goes in with the 71 and 97 GF's being ahead at three quarter time. Oh, the pain!!

loris
Saintsational Legend

Verdun66 wrote:
I cried in 1965 after listening to the game on the radio. I was 9 at the time!
I was inconsolable at the MCG after that match in 1965, the tears would not stop. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Then would you believe, in 1966 again at the MCG, I could hardly see the whole presentation ceremony after our 1 point win................................ I could not stop crying. :? :? :? :?

This time it was tears of relief/joy....who knows what emotions were intertwined. I just could not stop crying, infact I was sobbing, the emotion was overwhelming.

So dear Sainters who have not been as lucky as this old girl (one advantage of age) and been there at the 'G' to see the Saints snatch the 'Holy Grail', I think you too may cry, cry, cry when they finally win another cup for us this century. I just hope you experience it......... amid the flood of tears, in hindsight it's simply............beautiful :)

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

I again had tears today when the Hawks players got their medals. Jealous. f****** oath. Pissed off. No. It was 3 great weeks. It is years away again.

Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

loris wrote:
Verdun66 wrote:
I cried in 1965 after listening to the game on the radio. I was 9 at the time!
I was inconsolable at the MCG after that match in 1965, the tears would not stop. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Then would you believe, in 1966 again at the MCG, I could hardly see the whole presentation ceremony after our 1 point win................................ I could not stop crying. :? :? :? :?

This time it was tears of relief/joy....who knows what emotions were intertwined. I just could not stop crying, infact I was sobbing, the emotion was overwhelming.

So dear Sainters who have not been as lucky as this old girl (one advantage of age) and been there at the 'G' to see the Saints snatch the 'Holy Grail', I think you too may cry, cry, cry when they finally win another cup for us this century. I just hope you experience it......... amid the flood of tears, in hindsight it's simply............beautiful :)
I was lucky too Loris in being able to be there in 66, up in the Northern Stand with my Dad. Without that great memory not sure how I would have got over the other losses. Another flag for the younger supporters would be great, but I'd still like it for the older ones!

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Verdun66 wrote:I cried in 1965 after listening to the game on the radio. I was 9 at the time! All our losses since I've been in a kind of grieving shock. I flew down in 09 from the UK, arrived morning of the game, and went to the game jet-lagged. Felt terrible after the game with a combination of things.

I must admit it took quite some time to get over those 09/10 losses. We were never favourites in either year though. Neither Premiership was a given, but we should have nailed that 09 flag. Goes in with the 71 and 97 GF's being ahead at three quarter time. Oh, the pain!!
Not trying to be a pedant or nitpick you but we weren't ahead in 97 at 3/4 time. We were up at 1/2 time but 10 points down at 3/4 time. The camrys managed 14 goals in the second half to demolish us. I just raise the point because I also in my head thought we were up at 3/4 time and I was at that game. In my head we were up and then Jarman beat us in the final qr. The reality is a bit different. It just goes to show how our memories can create myths over the years.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

We all ponder what might have been in the 71 Grand Final, it took us 26 years to get back to a grand Final to get the chance to redeem, but, again, we weren't up to it.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?