Potential Quartet for 2017 finals and beyond

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Re: Potential Quartet for 2017 finals and beyond

Middo wrote:
Vazelos wrote:Petracca, Dunstan, Billings and Stevens supported by Armitage, Curran, Saunders and co.
That's a handy mid field that has grunt, class and pace.
What are your thoughts?
Acres will be better or equal to any of these...IMO
Purely a guess, he hasn't shown much at AFL level....YET

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Purely fact, injury crueled his year, and he has been signed till 2018!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Dave McNamara wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
matrix wrote:ffs
going on about quality ?
how many games have they all played?
how many pre seasons have they done?

it takes 3 to 4 to get to premium fitness and they have to be unbroken and injury free

we'll have the best midfield in the comp in 4 years imo
Not with the players we have at the moment.
Hi Pluggs, you've skim-read again and missed a key point in someone's post. :idea: Easy to do, and you seem to do it easily. :wink:
What do I miss Dave?
Sunday sessions at The Boundary with Marto.

Matt expressed his (IMHO entirely reasonable) opinion that we'd have the best mid field in the comp' in four years time.

You made a comment about our current mid-field.

Matt was clearly not talking about our current mid field, but our future one... no doubt based on the potential of those we currently have, plus drafting Petracca and hopefully a couple of others, and if needed using our freed-up cap space to utilise FA and the PSD... when the time is right.

But you knew that...

Yes I thought you would fall for that brain dead trap. Was waiting and laughing. Did you also see he thinks it takes 3 or 4 years to get close to their peak which would suggest he is currently basing his opinion on what we have currently drafted plus maybe a guess I what we may draft this season.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:Purely fact, injury crueled his year, and he has been signed till 2018!
We , collectively have nought to go on re his ability, we, can't say where he will rate until he proves it..

Hence guess work :roll:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

plugger66 wrote:
Dave McNamara wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Dave McNamara wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
going on about quality ?

it takes 3 to 4 to get to premium fitness and they have to be unbroken and injury free

Hi Pluggs, you've skim-read again and missed a key point in someone's post. :idea: Easy to do, and you seem to do it easily. :wink:
What do I miss Dave?

Matt expressed his (IMHO entirely reasonable) opinion that we'd have the best mid field in the comp' in four years time.

Matt was clearly not talking about our current mid field, but our future one... no doubt based on the potential of those we currently have, plus drafting Petracca and hopefully a couple of others, and if needed using our freed-up cap space to utilise FA and the PSD... when the time is right.

But you knew that...

Yes I thought you would fall for that brain dead trap. Was waiting and laughing. Did you also see he thinks it takes 3 or 4 years to get close to their peak which would suggest he is currently basing his opinion on what we have currently drafted plus maybe a guess I what we may draft this season.
Ok Pluggs, will play your game... :lol:

Once more... Matt mentioned our future mid field... which will be drawn from stronger, fitter, more experienced versions of our current young guys, Jack and Armo' will still be going strong, plus we will add players as well... very hopefully starting with Petraccaaaaa-rrhhhhhhhh!

Matt predicted that in four years we will have built the best mid field in the league.

So if one disagrees, then I would have thought such an argument would be mounted based around why we can't get (mid field-wise) from where we are now to where Matt predicted.

So if that is your opinion Pluggs, well, debate is what this forum is about... mount your case... go for it. :D

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Dave McNamara wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Dave McNamara wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
going on about quality ?

What do I miss Dave?

But you knew that...

Once more... Matt mentioned our future mid field... which will be drawn from stronger, fitter, more experienced versions of our current young guys, Jack and Armo' will still be going strong, plus we will add players as well... very hopefully starting with Petraccaaaaa-rrhhhhhhhh!

Matt predicted that in four years we will have built the best mid field in the league.

So if one disagrees, then I would have thought such an argument would be mounted based around why we can't get (mid field-wise) from where we are now to where Matt predicted.

Well he says it takes 3 or 4 years of unbroken fitness to se if they will make it so that suggests he is saying the current group will be the best in the AFL because who knows what will happen in 3 or 4 years and its obvious to anyone who understands footy that in 3 or 4 years the currnet group wont be the best mids in the AFL. I think you missed common sense at McKinnon High.

So if that is your opinion Pluggs, well, debate is what this forum is about... mount your case... go for it. :D

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

plugger66 wrote:
Dave McNamara wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Dave McNamara wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
going on about quality ?

What do I miss Dave?

But you knew that...

Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Dave McNamara wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Dave McNamara wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
going on about quality ?

What do I miss Dave?

But you knew that...

Dave as Matrix says it takes 3 to 4 years to learn your trade and he is saying in 4 years time we will have the best midfeld I can only assume itt will be due to our current players we have and the ones we get this season and FA of course. The ones we get after this season will be taking 3 to 4 years to learn their trade so they will not quite be ready to be part of this best midfield in the AFL. So taking all that into account he must be saying our current players will ride to be the best midfield in the AFL. I disagree with that. It may eventually happen and I certainly hope it does but we need at least 4 or 5 more A graders in the midfield before that happens. At the moment Im bullish on Billings, Acres, Steven and maybe Dunstan. The rest are solid and that's it IMO of course and I was wrong once back in 1975 when I said Gough was the best PM Australia have ever had.

saint-stu
Club Player

Vazelos wrote:Petracca, Dunstan, Billings and Stevens supported by Armitage, Curran, Saunders and co.
What are your thoughts?
We haven't seen a lot of him bit I reckon the temperature has a lot of potential.

1ac46a38
Vazelos
Club Player

Its early days but that quartet along with potentially Acres and Ross ( who I left out), Armitage, Curran and Saunders is a decent mid field for mine.

I am quite bullish if Petracca ends up A Grade.

saintbob
SS Life Member

I don't think Armo will be a Saints player by 2017, wouldn't be surprised if he gets traded this week to get 3 selections in the top 20.

Petracca, Dunstan, Billings, Acres, O'rouke with Webster, Ross, Newnes, Shenton and Saunders able to rotate through the middle as well.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Dave McNamara wrote:So if that is your opinion Pluggs, well, debate is what this forum is about... mount your case... go for it. :D
Dave as Matrix says it takes 3 to 4 years to learn your trade and he is saying in 4 years time we will have the best midfeld I can only assume itt will be due to our current players we have and the ones we get this season and FA of course. The ones we get after this season will be taking 3 to 4 years to learn their trade so they will not quite be ready to be part of this best midfield in the AFL. So taking all that into account he must be saying our current players will ride to be the best midfield in the AFL. I disagree with that. It may eventually happen and I certainly hope it does but we need at least 4 or 5 more A graders in the midfield before that happens. At the moment Im bullish on Billings, Acres, Steven and maybe Dunstan. The rest are solid and that's it IMO of course and I was wrong once back in 1975 when I said Gough was the best PM Australia have ever had.
Now your cookin' Pluggs. A solid case mounted. :D

Ok, speaking in terms of how we could get the there...

You reckon we need four to five more(?) Fair enough too. Rightio, being conservative...

Petracca is (I'm confident) a lock - if hopefully we get him. If we don't, surely the stupendously over-the-top offer we get will include at least one future (at a minimum) A-grade mid(?)

Lets say we only get the one more in from the 2014 & 2015 drafts. (Which is pretty damn conservative.)

So that's two.

Therefore between now and 2018 we'd need three more.

I'd be confident that between FA, PSD and improvement in some of the other blokes that we already have (Webster?) we can find three more A grade or better mid fielders by 2018.

Again, I reckon that's very conservative, and we can easily get more than the four or five that you want Pluggs. So, all up, with a touch of recruiting and development nous, this is very very realistically achievable IMHO.

Wigsy
Club Player

saint-stu wrote:
What are your thoughts?
We haven't seen a lot of him bit I reckon the temperature has a lot of potential.
Agree with this. I think he's seen as a bit of a novelty, a kid's plug (my 3 year old loves him), and not much upside.

He's just a fine footballer, Eli. Going to be a fine outside runner with the ability to play forward and wing, smart, and good user. I'm bullish enough to think that he's right there with the other 18 yo's we took (if half a rung below Jack and Blake on the 'potential' scale).

2009 - the year of the Saint (modified name from MasonCJ2)
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Dave McNamara wrote:So if that is your opinion Pluggs, well, debate is what this forum is about... mount your case... go for it. :D
Now your cookin' Pluggs. A solid case mounted. :D

Ok, speaking in terms of how we could get the there...

You reckon we need four to five more(?) Fair enough too. Rightio, being conservative...

Petracca is (I'm confident) a lock - if hopefully we get him. If we don't, surely the stupendously over-the-top offer we get will include at least one future (at a minimum) A-grade mid(?)

Lets say we only get the one more in from the 2014 & 2015 drafts. (Which is pretty damn conservative.)

So that's two.

Therefore between now and 2018 we'd need three more.

I'd be confident that between FA, PSD and improvement in some of the other blokes that we already have (Webster?) we can find three more A grade or better mid fielders by 2018.

Again, I reckon that's very conservative, and we can easily get more than the four or five that you want Pluggs. So, all up, with a touch of recruiting and development nous, this is very very realistically achievable IMHO.

Yes Dave but they will take 3 or 4 years to come good if you take what Matrix said so yes in 2018 we may have the best midfield potentially in the AFL but players taken after this year wont be ready if we use the 3 or 4 year rule. It will be a great effort to get the best midfield in the AFL because we may not have had it since about 1966 so it isn't a common occurance for us.