Tim membrey

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Tim membrey

terry smith rules wrote:
Razzledazzle wrote:My thoughts are simple. The Saints record for recruiting and arguably recycling players from other Clubs is not impressive. Let's stick to possibility of picking future champions including goal kickers great from the rich spoils on offer in the draft or at least encouraging those already at the Club to step up to the plate. I for one prefer on gambling upon the fruits from the draft and pass up a player that has struggled to establish himself at another Club. kep and use all and the earliest draft picks for long term future of the Club. Go Sainters.
I think if you look hard enough all clubs have duds from other clubs
for every Brian Lake there is a Kyle Cheney

We have had Schneider, Dempster, Penny, Hamill, Voss, and now we have a couple that look like they will go on with it in Longer etc

All this rubbish about a non established player, really

If Membrey was say player #28 ranked at the Swans, still puts him in front of most at St K FC

Hard task to establish yourself ahead of arguably the strongest tall forward line in the comp, who does he replace in the Swans forward line

Especially now with Goodes playing on, his chances still don't improve

TDL was in the top 25 at the Swans. Gamble probably in the top 28 at Geelong. Yep he had plenty in front of him but to many last year. I know it was only his first year. If we get him please make that the last player from another club who may or may not make it. We already have 3 of our own who we have upgraded. We need a champion even if its a fluke. At the moment we are getting honest triers.

Saint wagga
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
terry smith rules wrote:
Razzledazzle wrote:My thoughts are simple. The Saints record for recruiting and arguably recycling players from other Clubs is not impressive. Let's stick to possibility of picking future champions including goal kickers great from the rich spoils on offer in the draft or at least encouraging those already at the Club to step up to the plate. I for one prefer on gambling upon the fruits from the draft and pass up a player that has struggled to establish himself at another Club. kep and use all and the earliest draft picks for long term future of the Club. Go Sainters.
I think if you look hard enough all clubs have duds from other clubs
for every Brian Lake there is a Kyle Cheney

We have had Schneider, Dempster, Penny, Hamill, Voss, and now we have a couple that look like they will go on with it in Longer etc

All this rubbish about a non established player, really

If Membrey was say player #28 ranked at the Swans, still puts him in front of most at St K FC

Hard task to establish yourself ahead of arguably the strongest tall forward line in the comp, who does he replace in the Swans forward line

Especially now with Goodes playing on, his chances still don't improve

TDL was in the top 25 at the Swans. Gamble probably in the top 28 at Geelong. Yep he had plenty in front of him but to many last year. I know it was only his first year. If we get him please make that the last player from another club who may or may not make it. We already have 3 of our own who we have upgraded. We need a champion even if its a fluke. At the moment we are getting honest triers.
Not to mention Mav Weller and Dylan Roberton, both of which I was never keen to come to us simply because they'd been at their respective clubs for 3 whole years and not established themselves or shwon signs of real class. I'm much happier upgrading our rookie's to the senior list who we have nutured and developed, Shenton, Curren, Minch than bring in the above mentioned 2 players to clog the list if none of them come on at all which could we happen...Lets go for class and talent to import and leave external fringe players for other clubs trying to avoid a rebuild from the bottom up

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Saint wagga wrote: Not to mention Mav Weller and Dylan Roberton, both of which I was never keen to come to us simply because they'd been at their respective clubs for 3 whole years and not established themselves or shwon signs of real class. I'm much happier upgrading our rookie's to the senior list who we have nutured and developed, Shenton, Curren, Minch than bring in the above mentioned 2 players to clog the list if none of them come on at all which could we happen...Lets go for class and talent to import and leave external fringe players for other clubs trying to avoid a rebuild from the bottom up
I know we are wired to love our own… but we still need to be open to trading in players during a rebuild.

Membrey will offer something we are lacking, a genuine goal kicking medium forward.

While the Neafl isn't a strong comp, he has kicked 100+ goals in 30 odd games.

He's not some washed up old hack, he just turned 20 and was being kept out of a top 4 side by Adam Goodes who is a reasonable footballer.

I'm tipping he will be a much more useful player for us than Minchington, Shenton & Siposs, at the very least.

If we are writing off a guy that can't get a game at Sydney, what about the guys in our side that can't get a regular game? It should be much easier to crack a game in the 18th side surely? Might as well rule a line through White, Lee, Murdoch, Saunders, Pierce, Simpkin, Roberton, Shenton & minchington.

Anyways… Membrey's debut this year was pretty promising IMO…
For anyone interested, check it out:

http://www.afl.com.au/video/smart-repla ... 0140141902

andrewg
Club Player

Can't see the risk in the membry pick. He has had two years of development at a good club. He is an elite kick and knows how to get the footy with his back to the goals.

For me this is a great pick up and I would expect him to be in our best 22 when we play finals.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I still remember a friend cracking the s***s about Sydney picking up the Hawks rubbish in Kennedy and Mc Glynn. He's never mentioned it since. Sometimes rubbish can be gold.

Razzledazzle

Respect the contrasting views. That is not "rubbish really". If Membrey is picked as a passionate Saint fan I hope he goes on to kick 150goals and wins the Coleman. As to which way go is not a matter of cracking the s..ts or being hard wired with emotion but a matter of giving greater weight to the value of youth in the draft and holding a belief that the draft is more likely to lead to future success. All the contrasting views I suggest are not an unreasonable or unrealistic hopes.No one has crystal ball in this recruiting caper but I urge that the Club give the draft a full go with all the early picks. Go Sainters !!

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

andrewg wrote:Can't see the risk in the membry pick.
The risk is we don't have infinite list spots or salary cap so he might not turn out good enough and take the spot or cash of a player who would have been a star. No decision is risk-free at this time of year (except maybe Cat B rookies).

LondonSaint
Club Player

bergholt wrote:
The risk is we don't have infinite list spots or salary cap so he might not turn out good enough and take the spot or cash of a player who would have been a star. No decision is risk-free at this time of year (except maybe Cat B rookies).
Sorry, I disagree. The risk is actually standing still and do nothing when there is an opportunity to turn over the list and improve. Our mistake during the good days is not recruiting/turning over the list enough, and rely on stars to carry us over the line. It's not hard to find better players than Ray, Sipposs, Geary, Simpkin, Schneider (due to age & injury), Lee, Markworth, Gilbert, Milera,

I'm glad that Pelchen has a clear strategy and has put a concrete plan in place to implement it.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

LondonSaint wrote:Sorry, I disagree. The risk is actually standing still and do nothing when there is an opportunity to turn over the list and improve.
Sure, but that's got nothing to do with Membrey. Someone will fill that spot on our list whether it's him or a new draftee. We'll end up paying about pick 41 for him. So the question is whether he's better than the player we'd get at 41. I don't know the answer to that but saying that there's "no risk" in choosing him ahead of pick 41 is obviously wrong.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

LondonSaint wrote:
bergholt wrote:
Sorry, I disagree. The risk is actually standing still and do nothing when there is an opportunity to turn over the list and improve. Our mistake during the good days is not recruiting/turning over the list enough, and rely on stars to carry us over the line. It's not hard to find better players than Ray, Sipposs, Geary, Simpkin, Schneider (due to age & injury), Lee, Markworth, Gilbert, Milera,

I'm glad that Pelchen has a clear strategy and has put a concrete plan in place to implement it.

That's true but trading for players who have been in the system and haven't proven themselves seems the weaker way to come good. Its playing really safe in my opinion. Im happy to have one player from another club that hasn't proven himself but it will piss me off if we get more. The draft is usually where you find your Sam Fisher and yep it could be your Justin Sweeney but to really come good as a club we need stars. Honest players wont do a thing because as you point out we have plenty anyway. Obviously we will get Membury but forget Jakasch.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

The saints need to trade for Membury. The Swans don't want anymore picks but we need to find a pick 70 or so so that we trade for him even though they wont use as we did when we got King. I don't rate the PSD and we wont get a star but we do have pick one so lets at least use it on something that could be better than Membury especially since the Swans want nothing for him.

stkfc1
Club Player

Had a chat with a Swannies fan today. He's bleeding we got Membrey. He wanted him in the team all year for Reid. He followed him pretty closely this year. Reckons he'll be a good one.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:The saints need to trade for Membury. The Swans don't want anymore picks but we need to find a pick 70 or so so that we trade for him even though they wont use as we did when we got King. I don't rate the PSD and we wont get a star but we do have pick one so lets at least use it on something that could be better than Membury especially since the Swans want nothing for him.
Doesn't it run with out anything actually happening these days? I thought it was all just a waste of time with no one actually getting picked up.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:The saints need to trade for Membury. The Swans don't want anymore picks but we need to find a pick 70 or so so that we trade for him even though they wont use as we did when we got King. I don't rate the PSD and we wont get a star but we do have pick one so lets at least use it on something that could be better than Membury especially since the Swans want nothing for him.
Doesn't it run with out anything actually happening these days? I thought it was all just a waste of time with no one actually getting picked up.

What a weird answer. Have you been drinking? We cant get a star but we can maybe get better than anyone else as pick one in the PSD. Prove me wrong mate of a mate of a mate who knows a mate.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:

What a weird answer. Have you been drinking? We cant get a star but we can maybe get better than anyone else as pick one in the PSD. Prove me wrong mate of a mate of a mate who knows a mate.
But wasn't one of your other contrary answers in another thread was that we were picking up too many cast off's?

Wouldn't that happen in the PSD?

You are garbage - Enough said
Rosco
Club Player

Bunk_Moreland wrote:But wasn't one of your other contrary answers in another thread was that we were picking up too many cast off's?

But we'd get the best of the cast offs :wink:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:

But wasn't one of your other contrary answers in another thread was that we were picking up too many cast off's?

No not based on the last few drafts. And even if it was surely we can say no. Next question. You never waste a free pick even if it amounts to nothing. To suggest otherwise is just being silly.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Saint wagga wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Not to mention Mav Weller and Dylan Roberton, both of which I was never keen to come to us simply because they'd been at their respective clubs for 3 whole years and not established themselves or shwon signs of real class. I'm much happier upgrading our rookie's to the senior list who we have nutured and developed, Shenton, Curren, Minch than bring in the above mentioned 2 players to clog the list if none of them come on at all which could we happen...Lets go for class and talent to import and leave external fringe players for other clubs trying to avoid a rebuild from the bottom up
+1 x3

Best of luck to Tim if he comes to us but don't think we should use anything better than 4th round pick

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Simple question, do we get him yes or no?

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

3rd generation saint wrote:Simple question, do we get him yes or no?
I think it is basically a done deal. So Yes.
They are just waiting to see how the trade period pans out to work out the exact details of the trade.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
They are just waiting to see how the trade period pans out to work out the exact details of the trade.
Saints will probably hand pick 90 to the Swans

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
The Redeemer
SS Life Member

An elite kick in the forward half (by all reports).

That stated, he will get bugger all of the pill for the first two seasons so we have to be patient. Similar to the other small forwards.

That alone displays how good Billings' first season with us was. A goal a game for a child in a terrible forward line.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

The Redeemer wrote:An elite kick in the forward half (by all reports).

That stated, he will get bugger all of the pill for the first two seasons so we have to be patient. Similar to the other small forwards.

That alone displays how good Billings' first season with us was. A goal a game for a child in a terrible forward line.

He plays as a tall.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Correct. We either get a pick to trade to Sydney under their compo #38 on good faith or we get him as a delisted Free Agent

You are garbage - Enough said
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

plugger66 wrote:
The Redeemer wrote:An elite kick in the forward half (by all reports).

He plays as a tall.
'Deemsy can confirm this for himself, but I took his post to read as it would, if he had left out the word 'other'.

If that's the case, then he made some good points IMHO.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen: