Rhys Stanley for Pick #21

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Re: Rhys Stanley for Pick #21

Great to see Stinger in excellent form....reminds me of Digger on the coodabeens..."you cannot touch him!"

I actually agree with much of the sentiment.....pick 21 is an unknown....if it helps as a sweetner to get 4,6,7 from GWS for pick 1 you have to reassess the value of the trade.

On face value I think Geelong have done well....6 years of development into a super mobile 200cm ruck forward.

Nee!
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

The Redeemer wrote:Stanley is like a hot chick that one dates for a wee while and only sporadically wants to bang.
I can see you're a romantic ,Redeemer

Nee!
stinger
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
stinger wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:Pelchan and Bains and Richo should be congratulated on the way they are rebuilding our list.

Did a great job last season, looks like this one will be as good or better.

I support the club and team not a player. Good luck Rhys, but I am more interested in the development of our #21 going forward.
if the pick's a dud...i will be pointing it out....repeatedly......and for years.....
You're still mad at the club for converting Barry Hall into Dal Santo…

So there's a pretty good chance you'll be spamming us regardless of the actual result.

barry hall would have won us our second premiership......dal failed to do so...three times......i rest my case....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

:D

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Playon wrote:
brewski wrote:Think we have made a big mistake with this deal, Rhys was a versatile player and although he hadn't really shown much i feel he could potentially be an awesome player
i met him last year and had a brief chat, he was a lovely and polite guy but he seemed a little immature, after all he still a young guy, my son is his age and the transformation my son has made in the last 12 months as far as his career and life has been incredible, some times so people just need a little more time.
i think we will regret this trade, we are so critical and say he has been in the system for 5 years etc etc but i still believe Rhys could be a great player, we have always been so roo conscious going forward and after his development time we were on a downward slide and our mids couldnt hit the side of a barn, imagine with the cats disposal skills he could be a freak when those hands get sticky.

feel this gonna hurt, hope im wrong !!!!
I agree will be interesting to see hows he's playing in 5 years and posted something similar earlier. Well all I can say is.. Who's next.

jack or armo i would think...or both....wot a f****** joke...

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

saintly wrote:
Fidelis wrote:Interesting that SEN claim Cats aim to play Clark forwards, Blicavs as a back and then groom Stanley as a ruckman - with injury concerns on both McIntosh and Vardy. Don't think we've really viewed him in this light.
but i don't think we needed Stanley as a fulltime ruckman.
Many many threads were dedicated to this over the years.
About a 50:50 split
Many thought he was a ruckman or nothing.
Others were wedded to the romantic notion of him as a tall blonde fast glamorous fwd replacing Roo (despite only 30 goals in 6 season and no junior sanfl or vfl goals to speak of).
Fair to say I was in the former camp.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

fugazi wrote:Great to see Stinger in excellent form....reminds me of Digger on the coodabeens..."you cannot touch him!"

I actually agree with much of the sentiment.....pick 21 is an unknown....if it helps as a sweetner to get 4,6,7 from GWS for pick 1 you have to reassess the value of the trade.

On face value I think Geelong have done well....6 years of development into a super mobile 200cm ruck forward.

i think most sensible posters see that the club may have made a big mistake.on the other hand..the usual brown noses think anything the club does is okay.....

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

stinger wrote:
Playon wrote:... Well all I can say is.. Who's next.
I not too worried about the danger of losing those two now Sting... Petracca is the worry. :(

Any telecommunications people amongst the Saintsationalists? How do we cut the fax line tomorrow...? twisted:

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:
stinger wrote:
I not too worried about the danger of losing those two now Sting... Petracca is the worry. :(

Any telecommunications people amongst the Saintsationalists? How do we cut the fax line tomorrow...? twisted:
id say the chances of trading Jack would be 0%. Armo about 2%.
Both very very very unlikely.

But discussing trading Armo is an annual tradition on here - so it should be continued purely for the sake of tradition :D

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:
stinger wrote:

i was talking about next year and the one after...which will happen according to the pelican's master plan....share your worries about these clowns trading the no1 pick though.....who the f*** does that???? :evil:

Razzledazzle

Best wishes Rhys. I would have kept the faith despite inconsistency. Geelong will have you playing the influential football you are capable of in a stronger team. The Saints in time would have provided that environment as young champs developed further. I only hope you have a poor game when playing the Saints. The deal is now done and I just hope the recruiters use the draft in such a way that it lessens the impact of your loss. Time will tell if this has been a master stroke or to be regretted. For mind the jury remains out. Go Sainters !!

Rosco
Club Player

stinger wrote:
Dave McNamara wrote:
stinger wrote:

i was talking about next year and the one after...which will happen according to the pelican's master plan....share your worries about these clowns trading the no1 pick though.....who the f*** does that???? :evil:
who trades pick 1? the dockers and the cleveland cavaliers.

spert
Saintsational Legend

I wish Rhys well, but I don't think he will any different a player for the Cats as he was with us, maybe just play in more wins in the next couple of seasons.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:I wish Rhys well, but I don't think he will any different a player for the Cats as he was with us, maybe just play in more wins in the next couple of seasons.
As opposed to our pick 21 who has about a 30% chance of playing 100 games. That means about a 70% chance of being ordinary.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Pick 21 will be a star..I feel it in my bones

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
dragit wrote:
stinger wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:Pelchan and Bains and Richo should be congratulated on the way they are rebuilding our list.

I support the club and team not a player. Good luck Rhys, but I am more interested in the development of our #21 going forward.
if the pick's a dud...i will be pointing it out....repeatedly......and for years.....

So there's a pretty good chance you'll be spamming us regardless of the actual result.

barry hall would have won us our second premiership......dal failed to do so...three times......i rest my case....
So did Barry or did you just forget about 1997?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Alright I've hardened up and now see the benefits of rebuilding hard. Thanks Rhys -great bloke and hope you have success. On the other hand I hope Nakia Cockatoo or who ever we get wins a Brownlow medal and Geelong are at the bottom of the ladder in 2 years time. Then we will get you back in when you are at your peak.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Hypothetically, would he have been worth pick 21 if you take out the Essendon game this year?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:Hypothetically, would he have been worth pick 21 if you take out the Essendon game this year?
Hard to gauge really…

He has some special qualities and is still 23.

Pick 21 is banking on potential being realised.

But 200cm lighting fast blokes that can take 14 marks in a game, play FF & Ruck are a pretty rare commodity… the issue of course is consistency.

tweedaletomanning
Club Player

dragit wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:Hypothetically, would he have been worth pick 21 if you take out the Essendon game this year?
Hard to gauge really…

But 200cm lighting fast blokes that can take 14 marks in a game, play FF & Ruck are a pretty rare commodity… the issue of course is consistency.
Agree with this!

We will find out in 5 years if pelchin is a genius,

Or if Pelchin is just BELCHIN"

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
Hard to gauge really…

But take away that Essendon game, and his CV looks very different, doesn't it?

I was always a fan of Rhys, and am on the fence on this trade. But purely from a 'one eyed' Saints perspective, we may look back on that game in a year or two and think 'thank god for that 14 mark game. Cause without that we'd have probably only got pick 50 at best or even worse never had anyone interested in taking him off our hands at all!'.

Time will tell!

CarlD
Club Player

Disappointed that Rhys is moving on despite some erratic form. The deal is done so fingers crossed that the recruiting staff can pluck a superstar with the incoming draft pick.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:
dragit wrote:
Hard to gauge really…

But take away that Essendon game, and his CV looks very different, doesn't it?

I was always a fan of Rhys, and am on the fence on this trade. But purely from a 'one eyed' Saints perspective, we may look back on that game in a year or two and think 'thank god for that 14 mark game. Cause without that we'd have probably only got pick 50 at best or even worse never had anyone interested in taking him off our hands at all!'.

Time will tell!
He was top 20 in the comp for marks & contested marks this year, 18 goals this year in the worst inside 50 team in the comp…

Just ticked over 50 games, he's certainly still improving.

amusingname
Club Player

stinger wrote:
dragit wrote:
stinger wrote:

Yep, that sounds like a rational thing to blame on Dal.

mordiboyz
Club Player

SaintPav wrote:
stinger wrote:
dragit wrote:
stinger wrote:

So did Barry or did you just forget about 1997?
Baz was one of the only standouts in 1997, his first half nearly got us home. Unfortunately the worlds "best" coach Mal Blight... only had to do one thing and that was top stop Baz in the second half and we were done.