Rhys Stanley for Pick #21

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

markp
Saintsational Legend

Re: Rhys Stanley for Pick #21

How do people feel re this trade compared to Ryder for 17 and 37?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:How do people feel re this trade compared to Ryder for 17 and 37?
I feel like we would have commanded less if Rhys was pumped full of drugs, facing doping bans and was fearing the health of his unborn children.

markp
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
I feel like we would have commanded less if Rhys was pumped full of drugs, facing doping bans and was fearing the health of his unborn children.
Ryder wont be able to play for 6 - 12 months... not sure how long we'd have been waiting for Stanley.

kalsaint
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
spert wrote:I wish Rhys well, but I don't think he will any different a player for the Cats as he was with us, maybe just play in more wins in the next couple of seasons.
As opposed to our pick 21 who has about a 30% chance of playing 100 games. That means about a 70% chance of being ordinary.
confidence is a big thing and Rhys is not different here. With another team and increased opportunity he could explode and become a prime player.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
dragit
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:
dragit wrote:
Ryder wont be able to play for 6 - 12 months... not sure how long we'd have been waiting for Stanley.
Yes Ryder is a star in his prime, his value was down because he is facing bans, could have walked for free and nominated one club. GWS would have given up pick 4 for him by the sounds of things.

Rhys is a GOP with only 50 odd games. His value was inflated with potential I would imagine as he is still improving each year.

Their numbers were pretty similar this year… with Ryder only well ahead in hitouts & clearances. While Ryder was lauded for 2014, Rhys was much maligned.

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_p ... 1=S&fid2=S

DC93

Win Win.. Stanley was never going to be a world beater. He was never really a great AFL Footballer. Great athlete though. He was going to be a player that is good for us structure wise but that obviously wont be enough long term and when presented with pick 21 the club must have though it is too good to not take. Obviously not thought of to be in our longer term plans.
Good luck to him, all the best and thanks.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

WB only got pick 46 for Liam Jones. Different players but Stanley isn't that much better than Liam you would think.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
markp wrote:
dragit wrote:
Yes Ryder is a star in his prime, his value was down because he is facing bans, could have walked for free and nominated one club. GWS would have given up pick 4 for him by the sounds of things.

Rhys is a GOP with only 50 odd games. His value was inflated with potential I would imagine as he is still improving each year.

Their numbers were pretty similar this year… with Ryder only well ahead in hitouts & clearances. While Ryder was lauded for 2014, Rhys was much maligned.

Not completely in agreeance there. Ryder spent consideral time in the ruck and still managed the same amount of goals. Ryder had 26 hitous and 3.9 clearances per game. So thats some real inside grunt time. Super Coach average 101 v 70.
But Rhys did have a good year. Took a lot of marks.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
dragit wrote:
markp wrote:
dragit wrote:

Not completely in agreeance there. Ryder spent consideral time in the ruck and still managed the same amount of goals. Ryder had 26 hitous and 3.9 clearances per game. So thats some real inside grunt time. Super Coach average 101 v 70.
But Rhys did have a good year. Took a lot of marks.
What are you disagreeing on?
I said one was a star, the other a good ordinary player…

Ryder obviously influences game more, but their numbers are similar… one plays more in the ruck so gets more hitouts.

Ryder is clearly a better player, but he has 4 years & a 110 more games experience. I'm tipping that Rhys will be a significantly better player than he is currently in 4 years & 80 more games.

I'm actually surprised that they get similar amounts of touches each game, Rhys 5% more efficient.

I think Rhys's biggest problem right now is the difference between his best & worst… matching winning brownlow vote games to completely missing. If he can find a middle ground, Geelong will be pretty happy.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Pretty disappointed with this trade.
Rhys has not been a world beater to date but is a quick 200cm ruck forward with reasonable hands and a thumping kick.

There is no doubt 21 is more than adequate compensation for what Rhys has done to date, but if he has a break out season like he has threatened it will be a poor outcome.

Rhys is apparently a nice guy and well liked at the club. He did not seek a trade to the best of my knowledge so I wonder what message this sends to the other players. At 23 he would be at peak powers for our 2020 flag tilt so there is no Dal/ Goddard age element to the trade.

It is great to have a strategy and a plan to implement, just worry how much of his own bath water the Pelican consumes each evening.

I would have preferred 14 from for say Rhys and our early 3rd round pick.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote:Pretty disappointed with this trade.

It is great to have a strategy and a plan to implement, just worry how much of his own bath water the Pelican consumes each evening.

quite a lot...imho....i'm no fan of the pelican.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote: What are you disagreeing on?
I said one was a star, the other a good ordinary player…

Ryder obviously influences game more, but their numbers are similar… one plays more in the ruck so gets more hitouts.

Ryder is clearly a better player, but he has 4 years & a 110 more games experience. I'm tipping that Rhys will be a significantly better player than he is currently in 4 years & 80 more games.

I'm actually surprised that they get similar amounts of touches each game, Rhys 5% more efficient.

I think Rhys's biggest problem right now is the difference between his best & worst… matching winning brownlow vote games to completely missing. If he can find a middle ground, Geelong will be pretty happy.
Only a very minor nuanced disagreement dragit. Not a hard one. :D
But on those numbers Ryder probably a 30% better player.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Anyway Geelong see him as a ruckman and not a fwd.

I argued the last two years he was a ruckman or nothing. he was always a Ruckman. He was drafted as a ruckman. I think the fwd thing was an emotional fantasy as we all desperately wanted to keep Roo alive for another decade.....

http://www.sen.com.au/news/balme-on-sta ... itch-brown
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Thu 16 Oct 2014 5:46pm, edited 1 time in total.

mordiboyz
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:Anyway Geelong see him as a ruckman and not a fwd.
And Scott Watters saw him as a full back

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

mordiboyz wrote:
Well there were two romantic fantasies. One was he looked a bit like Fletcher. One that he looked a bit like Roo.
No matter about his actual abilities as an individual. We all wanted to shape him to suit some pre-existing fantasy. It was all about us - never about Rhys.
Surely hes a ruckman or nothing. Yes he can rest fwd. But he was never and never will be an alpha fwd. He cant read the play and he cant recover after a marking contest. His attack on the marking contest is also very inconsistent. Sometimes he just forgets to go or doesnt know when or where to go. Playing fwd requires the ultimate in footy smarts and instinct. Some of it you cant teach. Thats why the true key fwds are on the big bucks.

kp83
Club Player

Levi Greenwood was worth pick 25 and Ryder pick 17 + a lame dog (Cooney).

I reckon that is enough to suggest that we did well to get pick 21 for Stanley, although I do understand that those players forced their club's hand a bit and they had to take what they could.

Still in the cold light of day I think we've done alright in this trade.

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

kp83 wrote:Levi Greenwood was worth pick 25 and Ryder pick 17 + a lame dog (Cooney).

I reckon that is enough to suggest that we did well to get pick 21 for Stanley, although I do understand that those players forced their club's hand a bit and they had to take what they could.

Still in the cold light of day I think we've done alright in this trade.
Agree! Levi Greenwood is a much better player then Stanley.

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

begs the question why didn't we just play him as a ruck all these years.
it's not like McEvoy was storming it every weekend.
agree the guy didn't know how to lead.
so McCartin it is then.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Very happy with this trade. Stanley was an absolute dud. He frustrated me no end. Great to see the back of him.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote:
mordiboyz wrote:
Well there were two romantic fantasies. One was he looked a bit like Fletcher. One that he looked a bit like Roo.
No matter about his actual abilities as an individual. We all wanted to shape him to suit some pre-existing fantasy. It was all about us - never about Rhys.
Surely hes a ruckman or nothing. Yes he can rest fwd. But he was never and never will be an alpha fwd. He cant read the play and he cant recover after a marking contest. His attack on the marking contest is also very inconsistent. Sometimes he just forgets to go or doesnt know when or where to go. Playing fwd requires the ultimate in footy smarts and instinct. Some of it you cant teach. Thats why the true key fwds are on the big bucks.
Con, you have nailed it for me with this summary. I am happy now to give up my Rhys Stanley Fantasy. I'm not even sure what it was now … maybe a tall mid … !
Last edited by SemperFidelis on Thu 16 Oct 2014 8:44pm, edited 1 time in total.

Always loyal
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

SemperFidelis wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
mordiboyz wrote:
Con, you have nailed it for me with this summary. I am happy now to give up my Rhys Stanley Fantasy. I'm not even sure what it was now … maybe a tall mid ...
I was dreaming wingman there for a while, Semp. Then I realised it'd be smarter to let Roo wind down a la Richo at the Tigs.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

P.S. Never thought Stanley could become a No 1 ruckman. It might have been his most obvious spot but I thought he lacked the beef (to compete physically for long periods against big bodies), and the tank (too many fast twitch muscle fibres, which gave him his speed, not enough slow twitch to endure).

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
dragit
Saintsational Legend

I'm the opposite, the more I think about it, the less I like this trade.

I think we will be looking for this type of player for years.

Paddy Ryder is probably the benchmark for the ruck forward role, when he had played 58 games he had accumulated…

557 disposals
14 goals
222 marks
209 hitouts

Rhys in 58 games has
589 disposals
40 goals
276 marks
287 hitouts

I think we have forgotten how long it takes bigger guys to come good.

I'll try not to be a dick about it and mention it whenever Rhys plays a good game, but I think we might regret this one. He does things that none of our other 4 ruckmen will ever be able to do… would have much rather we had dealt any of those or someone like Armitage. We have pulled the trigger to reach some KPI, but I wish we'd done it another way.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Stanley, (IMHO) doesn't have the ATTITUDE for top class AFL. Big man who was far too easily outmuscled, and had very little (visible) aggression at the contest.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:I'm the opposite, the more I think about it, the less I like this trade.

I think we will be looking for this type of player for years.

Paddy Ryder is probably the benchmark for the ruck forward role, when he had played 58 games he had accumulated…

557 disposals
14 goals
222 marks
209 hitouts

Rhys in 58 games has
589 disposals
40 goals
276 marks
287 hitouts

I think we have forgotten how long it takes bigger guys to come good.

I'll try not to be a dick about it and mention it whenever Rhys plays a good game, but I think we might regret this one. He does things that none of our other 4 ruckmen will ever be able to do… would have much rather we had dealt any of those or someone like Armitage. We have pulled the trigger to reach some KPI, but I wish we'd done it another way.
Some telling stats there....very interesting comparison. If Geelong get Rhys focussed and confident he will be a very valuable pick-up. 21 better be good.

Nee!