Rhys Stanley for Pick #21

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Re: Rhys Stanley for Pick #21

dragit wrote:
True Believer wrote: Do you think Stanley is signifcantly different as a footballer now from what he was three years ago? I don't. And maybe you are right, many people don't think you should use draft picks on ruckmen, but that you should trade for them when they are 25 years old.
Yes I do, 4 years ago Rhys had played 9 games of afl football, kicked 5 goals, averaged under 4 marks & 7 touches. If he was having the same output as 3 or 4 years ago he would be de-listed this year, not traded for a first round draft pick.
Someone needs to draft ruckmen or how else would they get into the system.
Great stats, so from 2012 to 2014 his average disposals went all the way from 10 to 11, and his hitouts went up by less than 2.

Well you've convinced me........

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
dragit
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:
dragit wrote:
True Believer wrote: Do you think Stanley is signifcantly different as a footballer now from what he was three years ago? I don't. And maybe you are right, many people don't think you should use draft picks on ruckmen, but that you should trade for them when they are 25 years old.
Yes I do, 4 years ago Rhys had played 9 games of afl football, kicked 5 goals, averaged under 4 marks & 7 touches. If he was having the same output as 3 or 4 years ago he would be de-listed this year, not traded for a first round draft pick.
Someone needs to draft ruckmen or how else would they get into the system.
Great stats, so from 2012 to 2014 his average disposals went all the way from 10 to 11, and his hitouts went up by less than 2.

Well you've convinced me........
Okay he's no better than 4 years ago, is a complete spud and the best recruiting team in the country just lost the plot when they offered up a 1st round pick for him.

All except he only just clicked over 50 games and after an inconsistent year, he's still top 20 in the comp for contested marks, top 20 in the comp for average marks/game playing in the 18th side with the 2nd lowest inside 50's… and probably the worst delivery.

I don't mind the hard decisions being made, doesn't mean I agree with all of them. Right now we have 4 rucks on the list who can't play forward and no forward/ruck options. I just hope we're not scratching around looking for a player like Rhys in 3 or 4 years time, cause they're not easy to find. This trade seems like a desperate way to reach a draft pick KPI to me… hopefully we get a good player out of it.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend

Well before he was injured this year, Hickey went forward and kicked 3 goals in a game - how often did Rhys do that?

I agree, I hope we didin't make a mistake, but how much better do you honestly think Rhys is going to get? Agree he's just racked up 50 games, but a ruck that can go forward is hardly our most pressing need, agreed?

If we end up needing one in about 3 or 4 years, apparently we can pick ine up for a 20's pick in the trade period. And personally, if we are at the stage in 3 years of needing to go shopping a ruck/forward for our flag tilt I will be very happy........

IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Most frustrating player ever to play for our club IMO, all the potential to be a star but will never get there!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
dragit
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:but a ruck that can go forward is hardly our most pressing need, agreed?
I think it's an essential element as I can't see 2 genuine ruckmen like Hickey & Longer working in the same side.

The point is for me, is that we only had one player on the list that can play that role… he wasn't a star but the ruck/forward is pretty important structurally IMO.

After putting in 6 years development, I felt that he was just starting to make progress… it's disappointing.

Anyway, they must be confident in finding someone better, that would be great. Maybe Spencer or Bruce will be able to chop out in the ruck.

I wish Rhys well, but selfishly I don't want to see him do too well.

kp83
Club Player

WinnersOnly wrote:Most frustrating player ever to play for our club IMO, all the potential to be a star but will never get there!
Raph? :wink:

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

kp83 wrote:
WinnersOnly wrote:Most frustrating player ever to play for our club IMO, all the potential to be a star but will never get there!

Do you forget Raphs PF performance in 2009?

Only thing Stanley did in the finals of 2009 was run 100 metres.

You are garbage - Enough said
Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote: Anyway, they must be confident in finding someone better, that would be great. Maybe Spencer or Bruce will be able to chop out in the ruck.
I think Spencer will be the one, and I think he may be the reason they thought Rhys was disposable. With what they saw of Spencer in those couple of games, that may have been as much about making a decision about Rhys's future as it was about judging Spencer's potential.

It would not surprise me in the least to find Spencer White has gone past Rhys within two seasons from now. And White to me is more of a forward who maybe can give a ruckman a chop out than a ruckman that can go forward if he has too (which is really more what I think Rhys is).

dragit
Saintsational Legend

The only problem with Spencer playing ruck is that he appears as injury prone as Rhys was a few years ago… I don't think he'll be physically ready to do much rucking next year.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:The only problem with Spencer playing ruck is that he appears as injury prone as Rhys was a few years ago… I don't think he'll be physically ready to do much rucking next year.

Yep agree and I don't think he would even know how to ruck. Bruce seems more logical to me if he plays forward. Baring injury what do we do with Hickey or Longer. They surely cant play together.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
dragit wrote:The only problem with Spencer playing ruck is that he appears as injury prone as Rhys was a few years ago… I don't think he'll be physically ready to do much rucking next year.

Yep agree and I don't think he would even know how to ruck. Bruce seems more logical to me if he plays forward. Baring injury what do we do with Hickey or Longer. They surely cant play together.

How many ruckmen did Hawthorn have in the GF team when they won the flag last month?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

How many ruckmen did Hawthorn have in the GF team when they won the flag last month?

2. Hale who has played mainly forward for a lot of his career and Ben who struggles forward and probably only did it for about 15% of the game.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

2. Hale who has played mainly forward for a lot of his career and Ben who struggles forward and probably only did it for about 15% of the game.
So they had two ruckmen playing. So it is good enough for the premier to have two ruckmen playing but not the wooden spooner - OK.

And considering Stanley hardly got near the pill, Hickey couldn't be any worse and in fact was looking OK up forward before injury robbed his season.

Lost nothing with Stanley going and gained in the ruck.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
kp83 wrote:

Do you forget Raphs PF performance in 2009?

Only thing Stanley did in the finals of 2009 was run 100 metres.
Raph saved our bacon in that prelim. He provided us with some run out of the backline when he looked flat for most of the night.

Had a great qual final against the magpies in in the first week.

Also, he had a ripper first semi againts the filth in 2008.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
satchmo wrote:
Teflon wrote:This trade has me worried most for sure......at justover 50 games for a big guy at 23.....big call cause his type dont come round often......

Huge Pelican call.
It is a big call Teff, and I do like Rhys. But in the past we have hung on to players that might turn it around, but never seem to . I'm glad we have Pelchen making these calls. He knows his stuff as well as anyone in the business.

Is that actually based on anything at all. He got sacked from his last job.
Do you know why he got the arse?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
satchmo wrote:
Teflon wrote:This trade has me worried most for sure......at justover 50 games for a big guy at 23.....big call cause his type dont come round often......

Huge Pelican call.
It is a big call Teff, and I do like Rhys. But in the past we have hung on to players that might turn it around, but never seem to . I'm glad we have Pelchen making these calls. He knows his stuff as well as anyone in the business.

No I don't. Sorry.

Hallalj#3
Club Player

SaintPav wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
satchmo wrote:

Huge Pelican call.

Read the article today and he resigned surprisingly, they said its likely he got a job waiting.

Also stating he built the premiership list in 08 and built the current list that is currently in the top 4 (2011).

Article by Michael Gleeson

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Hallalj#3 wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
satchmo wrote:

Huge Pelican call.

Read the article today and he resigned surprisingly, they said its likely he got a job waiting.

Also stating he built the premiership list in 08 and built the current list that is currently in the top 4 (2011).

Article by Michael Gleeson
i think that dermie maintains that he was sacked...probably for letting kennedy and benny mcglynn go to the swans,,,

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I'm sure I heard dunstall say he jumped before pushed, but could be wrong.

He wasn't behind Dew, Hale, Lake, Burgoyne etc coming to the club, it was another guy still there. I have always felt, perhaps unfairly, that he reflects in that praise a little.

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
satchmo wrote:

Huge Pelican call.

Is that actually based on anything at all(?) Can you prove he was sacked?

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

THE man who built Hawthorn's premiership side and oversaw the list that has them back in the top four and in contention for another flag yesterday stunningly quit the club.The Hawks' general manager of player personnel and strategy, Chris Pelchen, abruptly resigned with no indication of why or where he was going. A statement from Hawthorn announcing the news only confirmed the resignation and gave no reason for the decision.

There is no evidence he has left to join another club, nor to accept a position outside of football, heightening speculation that he was forced out.

Pelchen is a ''Hawthorn person'' having served at the club twice - from 1989 to 1995 then from 2005 until this week - so it would be unlikely he would leave the club in the lurch in a critical period during the year and leading into the national draft and with no other job to go to unless there were other reasons for the resignation.
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/p ... 1fl53.html

*Allegedly.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

satchmo wrote:
THE man who built Hawthorn's premiership side and oversaw the list that has them back in the top four and in contention for another flag yesterday stunningly quit the club.The Hawks' general manager of player personnel and strategy, Chris Pelchen, abruptly resigned with no indication of why or where he was going. A statement from Hawthorn announcing the news only confirmed the resignation and gave no reason for the decision.

There is no evidence he has left to join another club, nor to accept a position outside of football, heightening speculation that he was forced out.

Pelchen is a ''Hawthorn person'' having served at the club twice - from 1989 to 1995 then from 2005 until this week - so it would be unlikely he would leave the club in the lurch in a critical period during the year and leading into the national draft and with no other job to go to unless there were other reasons for the resignation.
As he started at the Saints the next month in a more senior role as Head Of Football, it could also be that the Saints poached him, with him resigning to take the Saint's job.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
satchmo wrote:

As he started at the Saints the next month as Head Of Football, it could also be that the Saints poached him, with him resigning to take the Saint's job.
Yes. It's likely that he wasn't happy with the "restructuring" going on, but by all accounts I've seen he resigned.

Now you can claim that he was sacked, and if you repeat it enough some will believe you, but you are either lying or parroting incoherent crap spewed from a five time day and night thug and moron.

*Allegedly.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

satchmo wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
satchmo wrote:

As he started at the Saints the next month as Head Of Football, it could also be that the Saints poached him, with him resigning to take the Saint's job.
Yes. It's likely that he wasn't happy with the "restructuring" going on, but by all accounts I've seen he resigned.

Now you can claim that he was sacked, and if you repeat it enough some will believe you, but you are either lying or parroting incoherent crap spewed from a five time day and night thug and moron.

He was sacked and yes I will continue to repeat it. By the way I said it from about day one when a mate who worked at the Hawks told me. I trust him completely. In Pechen you can trust, I chose not to.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
satchmo wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
satchmo wrote:

He was sacked and yes I will continue to repeat it. By the way I said it from about day one when a mate who worked at the Hawks told me. I trust him completely. In Pechen you can trust, I chose not to.
Mates often speak crap. Many of mine do. He resigned. Pretty simple. Believe what you want. He's doing a good job and has a plan, which is something new to St Kilda.