Picks 21 and 22 options

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: Picks 21 and 22 options

Zed wrote:Pick 41 is the interesting one. I'm Biased because I've seen these 3 SA boys play and I think they are all likely AFL players - Caleb Daniel, Jake Johansen and Peter Bampton. All 3 boys have played senior SANFL footy - Johansen and Bampton made their debuts last year. I've watched Johansen since under 13s - the kid is a Jet and will make the grade. A lot of other players being mentioned on this thread struggle to get in the best players for their respective U18 clubs on a regular basis.
Who would you prefer between Caleb Daniel and Johansen? If you could only have one at pick 41.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Tough one Con. I think Daniels wil get picked up before Johansen, because ironically he is a bit more high profile, but I think Johansen will have a longer career - so if it was my call , Johansen for me.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

I know the club have said they will take best available but I think they have a chance to add two book end KPP players in Reece McKenzie & Oscar McDonald at 21 & 22 i wonder if that will be a chance? Another method would be to add to the midfield talent & attempt to get a KPP at 41 & the rookie draft...

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
Gershwin
Club Player

WinnersOnly wrote:I know the club have said they will take best available but I think they have a chance to add two book end KPP players in Reece McKenzie & Oscar McDonald at 21 & 22 i wonder if that will be a chance? Another method would be to add to the midfield talent & attempt to get a KPP at 41 & the rookie draft...
I've always liked a team to have a strong spine (FB, CHB, C, CHF & FF) and think we need to start looking along those lines. Take the gun midfielder with pick 1 and then McKenzie and McDonald with 21 and 22 suits me fine.

summertime and the living is easy ........
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

What about our very own "James Rose" :wink:

Position: Medium forward
Height: 186 cm, Weight: 78 kgs, DOB: 16/04/1996
Club: Sturt
Projected Draft Range: 40-rookie
Plays like: Tom Lynch

One of the most exciting development prospects in this year’s draft and a player who is grossly underrated, James Rose has an explosive natural leap and outstanding hands overhead. The medium forward cuts dangerous leads, beats his opponent with his smart leading patterns and isn’t afraid to get in his opponent’s face. Despite his rangy frame, Rose is an aggressive and combative type who relishes the physical aspect of his position: more importantly, he is a difficult player to match up on, such is his agility and his versatility to play small or tall. Rose has a thumping kick and bagged 30 goals from nine games in 2013. This year saw him really improve his endurance capabilities, which has allowed for him to play a higher role, winning more of the ball.

Maybe pick 41 - could most definitely convert to midfield later down the track - sticky hands, can go forward (likes a goal), hard at it, likes to move the ball on quickly and is probably still growing - another SA fella with scope for development

Highlights look ok too - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_S1hmSvTSI

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Its difficult to argue with 30 goals in 9 games (I assume it was SANFL under 18 level?)
He looks bloody electrifying in those highlights. Very impressive.

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

This is crystal ball stuff I know but how deep will be the midfield depth be next year's draft???
How will it compare it to the quality of mids in this years draft especially around our picks 21 22???
I'm going against what I have been saying but if the mid quality is much better and deeper then we might have to go kpp as they might not be as good as this year's crop especially at our picks 21 22.
Pick 1 for Petracca though.

lewdogs
Club Player

Lots of good South Australians floating around in this draft that will be available with our picks. If we took Bampton and Neal-Bullen with 21-22 (along with Petracca at 1) I think that would be the basis of a seriously good midfield.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

lewdogs wrote:Lots of good South Australians floating around in this draft that will be available with our picks. If we took Bampton and Neal-Bullen with 21-22 (along with Petracca at 1) I think that would be the basis of a seriously good midfield.
Go home factor. Pick good Victorian boys

You are garbage - Enough said
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
lewdogs wrote:Lots of good South Australians floating around in this draft that will be available with our picks. If we took Bampton and Neal-Bullen with 21-22 (along with Petracca at 1) I think that would be the basis of a seriously good midfield.
i agree...aish will go home next year..you can bet on it

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
FQF
SS Life Member

stinger wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:
He has not agreed to a contract extension yet. Then again, I think he will be enjoying playing a star studded midfield next year.

Die Hard 7
Club Player

At 21 and 22 I am hoping there will be at least one slider from the top 20 maybe duggan, goddard or lamb. Ideally would like lamb with 21 and Nakia with 22.On a previous point I believe Bampton and Daniel will be available at 41( we will need to choose 1), Johansen may slip to the rookie draft (where we should get him) My pick personally pet at 1, lamb 21, nakia 22, bampton at 41 and johansen in the rookie draft (if possible obviously) as well as any other kids in the rookie draft

stinger
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:
stinger wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:
He has not agreed to a contract extension yet. Then again, I think he will be enjoying playing a star studded midfield next year.
yep....with port...

Armagizmo
Club Player

stinger wrote:
FQF wrote:
stinger wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:
yep....with port...
Yeah, Aish's experience of playing in 2015 will be completely different to 2014. They'll win a few more games and should be much more competitive.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

How would he get to Port? Even if uncontracted he has no chance of getting to port.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

How would Aish get to Port? Even if uncontracted he has no chance of getting to Port.

<sorry for double post.>
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Tue 28 Oct 2014 5:29pm, edited 2 times in total.

SinCitySainter
Club Player

I would really like to see us pick up Lamb and McKenzie if both are still available at 21 and 22.
They are high risk/high return players by my reckoning and are just the sort that could turn into A-graders.
They obviously could also be busts.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

I would have thought Lamb is exactly the type of player we DON'T need

Most pundits agree that his efforts are inconsistent, he lacks effort at times, and his hand and foot skills are average

Of course he has been known to play the odd dynamic game (6 goals vs Gippsland early on in the TAC Cup season) and he might have great athletic ability however his general work ethic appears to be lacking and by all reports he is a bit full of himself and has attitude and disciplinary issues.

By all reports also he was also soundly beaten by his opponents in the National Champs

So a big NO for me - would rather give a chance to someone who has the innate ability to work hard, bring uncompromising effort over 4 quarters and is an out and out team player with good attitude.

Maybe I am just tired of St Kilda trying to develop someone who has average skills, who lacks desire to push themselves and is a bit of a dick

Good luck to the team that drafts him but I hope its not us!!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:I would have thought Lamb is exactly the type of player we DON'T need

Most pundits agree that his efforts are inconsistent, he lacks effort at times, and his hand and foot skills are average

Of course he has been known to play the odd dynamic game (6 goals vs Gippsland early on in the TAC Cup season) and he might have great athletic ability however his general work ethic appears to be lacking and by all reports he is a bit full of himself and has attitude and disciplinary issues.

By all reports also he was also soundly beaten by his opponents in the National Champs

So a big NO for me - would rather give a chance to someone who has the innate ability to work hard, bring uncompromising effort over 4 quarters and is an out and out team player with good attitude.

Maybe I am just tired of St Kilda trying to develop someone who has average skills, who lacks desire to push themselves and is a bit of a dick

Good luck to the team that drafts him but I hope its not us!!

I don't know any of them really but we certainly don't need to use both 21 and 22 on risky players. Maybe we could take a punt on one of them but what ever happens they must have skills.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: I don't know any of them really but we certainly don't need to use both 21 and 22 on risky players. Maybe we could take a punt on one of them but what ever happens they must have skills.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:
plugger66 wrote: I don't know any of them really but we certainly don't need to use both 21 and 22 on risky players. Maybe we could take a punt on one of them but what ever happens they must have skills.

He can also ice skate. get him.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Not a bad interview. Ive got a lot of time for T Elshaugh.

http://www.saints.com.au/video/2014-10- ... g-drafthub
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Tue 28 Oct 2014 7:04pm, edited 1 time in total.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:How would he get to Port? Even if uncontracted he has no chance of getting to port.

port or adelaide...take your pick...he is a croweater and wants to go home.....in fact he never wanted to leave sa....

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:How would he get to Port? Even if uncontracted he has no chance of getting to port.

port or adelaide...take your pick...he is a croweater and wants to go home.....in fact he never wanted to leave sa....
But how in terms of mechanics of a trade?
Wouldnt be easy unless Crows finish bottom 2.
Port wont have a top 10 pick and the Lions would need an absolute gun in return. So what he wants doesnt help him get anywhere.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Con Gorozidis wrote:
stinger wrote:

But how in terms of mechanics of a trade?
Wouldnt be easy unless Crows finish bottom 2.
Port wont have a top 10 pick and the Lions would need an absolute gun in return. So what he wants doesnt help him get anywhere.
Whilst he holds more currency than the (then) injury prone Polec, Port got creative and did manage to get a trade done for him.

I reckon it will be done for sure, imagine multiple years and Port may have traded for Polec, Ryder and Aish!

Who knows what may happen though, Danger may leave for all we know, Crows would have squilens to spend on the kid!

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!